Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 updates

I think those of us that have HDTVs (and would never watch content on anything else) underestimate how many SD sets are still out there. I do agree that UHD prices are coming down, especially during the last Black Friday, but there is still so little content, and who knows how long it willl take to be prevalent or if ultimately they will end up going the way of 3D. I kinda knew to skip those and I'm going to wait on UHD for quite some time. HDTV and DVR are things I would not want to live without though.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 updates

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I think those of us that have HDTVs (and would never watch content on anything else) underestimate how many SD sets are still out there. I do agree that UHD prices are coming down, especially during the last Black Friday, but there is still so little content, and who knows how long it willl take to be prevalent or if ultimately they will end up going the way of 3D. I kinda knew to skip those and I'm going to wait on UHD for quite some time. HDTV and DVR are things I would not want to live without though.

I could not agree with you more on the need and love for HDTV. I also agree with Rick in stating that X1 is clearly designed to work with HD. I would add to that in that it seems to be even better on 40 inch or larger. with a 42 inch screen, the menus and guide look incredible to me.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

You know, I have to agree with Rick and the general consensus here:

1) If you have Comcast X1 you should not still have an SDTV in use

2) If you do still have an SDTV, invest in an HDTV, even if a small one

3) SDTVs only hinder technological advancements, and expecting Comcast to still work with and support a dead platform is silly
Frequent Visitor

You know, it still drives me nuts when i'm on my house phone and i need to input a number followed by the pound button..... on my rotary dial phone... lol

Just kidding....

Sent from my iPhone
Regular Contributor

Anyone tried Xfinity Share app?

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

I have tried Comcast Share app on iPhone, iPad, and X1 HDDVR. it works quite well. I uploaded about 350 photos and several videos we took on our trip to Belize to Comcast Cloud servers. Now, on my HDTV connected to my X1 HDDVR, I can view those photos, play those videos, or run slide shows of those photos. I even tried spooling live video from my iPhone to my TV, and that works too.
Regular Contributor

awesome! I am so glad to here this worked extremely well! Can not wait to try it...

@Bowmanal wrote:
I have tried Comcast Share app on iPhone, iPad, and X1 HDDVR. it works quite well. I uploaded about 350 photos and several videos we took on our trip to Belize to Comcast Cloud servers. Now, on my HDTV connected to my X1 HDDVR, I can view those photos, play those videos, or run slide shows of those photos. I even tried spooling live video from my iPhone to my TV, and that works too.

Expert

@Bowmanal wrote:

just curious, must you use the xfinity phone (number?) for share to work?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Bowmanal wrote:

just curious, must you use the xfinity phone (number?) for share to work?

I used my cell phone number which is not the same as my home phone, which is assigned to xfinity voice.

So, I suppose the answer (for me) is - no.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

I used my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus.
Regular Contributor

I also uploaded pictures from my iPad Air 2.
Regular Contributor

I also use the Comcast Connect app so that when my Comcast home phone rings, it also rings on my iPhone and iPad, even if I am not at home. One day, just to see what would happen, I used my iPhone to call my home phone. My home phone rang, and so did my iPhone. I answered the call I had made from my iPhone to my home phone, on my iPhone, and was able to talk to myself.
Regular Contributor

Thanks.

I got an email about Share and went to Google Play and it has a 2.9 rating out of 5 with almost as many 1s as 4s and 5s combined.

A lot of people were not pleased that a triple play was required to get it.

I'll give it a try.

I've been using Connect for going on 2 years. Handy getting calls on my mobile but sometimes if the caller leaves a message it ends up on the mobile instead of my regular home voice mail. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Bowmanal wrote:
I also use the Comcast Connect app so that when my Comcast home phone rings, it also rings on my iPhone and iPad, even if I am not at home. One day, just to see what would happen, I used my iPhone to call my home phone. My home phone rang, and so did my iPhone. I answered the call I had made from my iPhone to my home phone, on my iPhone, and was able to talk to myself.

Hmm.  Mine doesn't do that with my iPhone.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

If you have a cell phone plan that limits many text messages you can send or how many minutes of phone calls you can make, without incurring additional charges, you can use the Connect app to send and receive text messages through your Comcast home phone number, or make calls from your iPhone or iPad via your Comcast home phone number.
Silver Problem Solver

Just thought of this - my cell phone is another phone number on my Comcast account.

https://customer.xfinity.com/Secure/UserSettings/

Contact Phone Numbers

Contributor

Wow! Received the 2.0.2 f/w update a few days ago and it fixed an issue! When recording consecutive shows on the same channel with the first one recorded long, it now records it long as it used to prior to the 2.0.0 update. Yippie! Still have all my other issues, but this was my most nagging. Xre is 1.52.08 from last week. Hoping it won't take another quarter and a half to fix the rest. 

Most Valued Poster

@kevin_and_staci wrote:

Wow! Received the 2.0.2 f/w update a few days ago and it fixed an issue! When recording consecutive shows on the same channel with the first one recorded long, it now records it long as it used to prior to the 2.0.0 update. Yippie! Still have all my other issues, but this was my most nagging. Xre is 1.52.08 from last week. Hoping it won't take another quarter and a half to fix the rest. 

Can you give more detail about this please. Are you saying that if a show runs over its scheduled time, the DVR will keep recording and still pick up all of the next show on that channel?

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@kevin_and_staci wrote:

Can you give more detail about this please. Are you saying that if a show runs over its scheduled time, the DVR will keep recording and still pick up all of the next show on that channel?

TerriB, yes it has recorded as configured, recording the first show however long you have it set up to and the second show completely so far. I have not tested what happens if the second recording starts early as I don't have any configured that way.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The most recent update messed up the closed captioning. I really hope it gets fixed soon. I wish they had better options.
Regular Contributor

I was watchng a show last night that i recorded a few days ago that showed on the guide ended at 10:02.

recording cut off at 10.

Hope 2.0.2 clears this up.

Gold Problem Solver

As I have said earlier, I always add three minutes to every recording so I do not have to worry about this...

@chuclkw wrote:

I was watchng a show last night that i recorded a few days ago that showed on the guide ended at 10:02.

recording cut off at 10.

Hope 2.0.2 clears this up.

Valued Contributor

What level are you on? My wife uses CC all the time and hasn't mentioned any issues with it. 

Please don't tell me you are on a higher level and we have something to look forward to. :-(

Most Valued Poster

Old issue is back.....I have dozens of series scheduled and the DVR is skipping episodes and there is no recording conflict (I am dedicated to  checking that weekly). Most recent was Texas Rising...skipped episode 3 completely but the upcoming ones are marked just fine. I HATE THIS.

Most Valued Poster

@kevin_and_staci wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@kevin_and_staci wrote:

TerriB, yes it has recorded as configured, recording the first show however long you have it set up to and the second show completely so far. I have not tested what happens if the second recording starts early as I don't have any configured that way.

Interesting. I wish to all the powers that be that we could get the networks to STOP this foolishness of starting and ending shows on purpose a minute or two before or after the hour. Its maddening for recording conflicts and X1 start/stop options are not sufficient. I want to start and stop early or late but can't do all that.

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

Old issue is back.....I have dozens of series scheduled and the DVR is skipping episodes and there is no recording conflict (I am dedicated to  checking that weekly). Most recent was Texas Rising...skipped episode 3 completely but the upcoming ones are marked just fine. I HATE THIS.

My DVR hasn't recorded the last two episodes of The Island. We do not record anything else on Monday night. Have not had any other problems with missing episodes for months until this most recent case.

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

My DVR hasn't recorded the last two episodes of The Island. We do not record anything else on Monday night. Have not had any other problems with missing episodes for months until this most recent case.

Yep same here with no missing episodes for a long time. So here we go again; they must have tweaked something and screwed this up again. Whenever they update or 'fix' something  seems they break something that works.  Wanna bet it keeps happening?

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Yep same here with no missing episodes for a long time. So here we go again; they must have tweaked something and screwed this up again. Whenever they update or 'fix' something  seems they break something that works.  Wanna bet it keeps happening?

How can this be ? We KNOW Comcast tests everything a year in advance at their Lab.

(If you believe that one, I have a bridge in Brookyln to sell ..... )

Bestertester.png     < -----   Head of Comcast labs.

Fester Bestertester.

Most Valued Poster

Yeppers BJ.. Ah yes..the famous quote from the retail  store svc rep. I am sure they do some kind of testing  but still release  'as is'  regardless of  field readiness and always make sure they undo something else on their way out the door to make up for it.

Regular Contributor

The CC works but I can't get it to display different colors anymore. It only displays white. I don't know if something is corrupted or if it was a software update. I don't know what level I'm on but I'm pretty sure I'm up to date.
Expert

@gweagraff wrote:
The CC works but I can't get it to display different colors anymore. It only displays white. I don't know if something is corrupted or if it was a software update. I don't know what level I'm on but I'm pretty sure I'm up to date.

To find out the versions you are running ( STB and XRE) press the XFINITY button, scroll down to ABOUT and look for those details there....   I am running XRE 152.08 and STB of 2.02p4s1 in the South Florida market....

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

1.53.03 showed up over the weekend for me. So far I've noticed 2 new things. First anytime I have a kids show on, a new prompt comes up asking if you'd like more info on the Kids Zone guide option (currently in labs). The other is that if you have the control panel option turned on in labs, there's a new tab for notifications.
Diamond Problem Solver

With the 1.53.03, you will see when scheduling or modifying a recording the offset times are 1 minute late, 5 minutes late and 30 minutes late. Live recording time offsets remain the same

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
With the 1.53.03, you will see when scheduling or modifying a recording the offset times are 1 minute late, 5 minutes late and 30 minutes late. Live recording time offsets remain the same

There is absolutely no reason that any type of content shouldn't have the option to extend 1,3,5,15,30,60,90 minutes.  Or some similarly complete selection of options.  Different extension times for sports vs. shows is ridiculous.

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

There is absolutely no reason that any type of content shouldn't have the option to extend 1,3,5,15,30,60,90 minutes.  Or some similarly complete selection of options.  Different extension times for sports vs. shows is ridiculous.

Totally agree!!!

So instead of adding more extended times to choose from they go and remove 3 min extend option.

Who is running things over there at Comcast?

Valued Contributor

a nice update would be also

- hidding SD channels

- hidding channels I don't receive.

DirecTV Genie can do this why not Xfinity X1 ?

Also my XG1 DVR has still the handshake issue between receiver and TV. I have to make sure receiver and TV are on before I have to push the front button on the DVR.

Really annoying.

Gold Problem Solver

Many months ago, I clearly recall ComcastTeds saying they had a valid reason for handling it this way but he never said what it was and it has never changed.

For better or for worse, I have gotten used to checking the on line DVR Manager to make sure recordings are set up the way I want them to be. Should I have to take this additional step? Absolutely not.

I just add it to this list of things that X1 could and should do much better:

1. Recording time options.
2. Reminder system.
3. More control over guide features and favorites.
4. More control over guide views.
5. Increased recording capacity options.
6. Too many remote apps and no good explanation as to what they do. Rustyben provided a better summary than ANYTHING Comcast has provided so far.
7. Companion boxes that are compromised. Currently there are two X1 Companion boxes and they both have serious faults. I have little interest in either of them so Comcast is forcing me to pay extra for additional Arris DVRs.
8. Recording buffering.
9. Customers are told they can't get multiple DVRs even though we all know it is possible.
10. The only way a customer can remote RF pair an RNG-150 is if they are close and personal friends with ComcastNeal or ComcastNick.
11. No tuner swap.
12. No buffering. Whoops I already said that.
13. Comcast support still can't easily tell who has access to Cloud DVR and who doesn't.
14. Comcast support still can't tell reliably tell people who can get the Xi3 and who can't.
15. Terrible selection of internet apps and we have no control over them.
16. Training in the retail locations is terrible.
17. Use of 3rd party subcontractors is so rampant that when a customer makes their first call to Comcast support, the odds they are talking to a real Comcast employee is very poor.

Give me a few minutes and I will come up with more...

Silver Problem Solver

@strotti wrote:

- hidding SD channels

Also my XG1 DVR has still the handshake issue between receiver and TV. I have to make sure receiver and TV are on before I have to push the front button on the DVR.

Really annoying.

Hmm.  I leave my DVR on 24/7 and I don't have a handshake issue.  Why don't you try that for a day or two and see what happens?  Or have you already tried that?

Valued Contributor

If the DRV is on and i turn on the TV and Receiver it won't work .. the stupid XG1 does a handshake everytime. I won't leave on receiver and tv 24/7 :-) :-) = I tried leaving it on it just won't work .. have to turn the DRV off and on again .. to get a picture ..

Valued Contributor

Here are the X1 updates/enhancements for June:

New in June On X1: Simplifying and Personalizing Entertainment
Comcast Voices blog - June 11, 2015
http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/new-this-month-on-x1-making-entertainment-personal-and-s...

quote:
This month, we’ve made updates to make it easier to discover new programming as well as simplify the process for setting up and pairing your remote controls. Check out a few highlights:

Improved Music Video Entity Pages
:
Recommendations Refresh
:
Remote Control Pairing Improvements
:
Kids Zone Graduates Out of Labs
:

Also on the MCN site:

Comcast Rolls New X1 Features
Enhances Recommendations, Spruces Up Music Video Pages

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - June 11, 2015

http://www.multichannel.com/news/next-tv/comcast-rolls-new-x1-features/391298

Gold Problem Solver

As per your usual telcodad, this is a good catch and good info.

But this stuff is fluff. It is window dressing. It is PR gobbledygook. By adding these features and making a big deal out of it, this confirms that Comcast is not listening to it's customers about what we REALLY want.

@telcodad wrote:

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/new-this-month-on-x1-making-entertainment-personal-and-s...

quote:
This month, we’ve made updates to make it easier to discover new programming as well as simplify the process for setting up and pairing your remote controls. Check out a few highlights:

:
Recommendations Refresh
:
:
:

Also on the MCN site:

Regular Contributor

Agreed.  We need someone to dig up the email address for    Peter Nush, Comcast Cable’s vice president, product management, so we can get to someone who can actually make something useful happen.
@RickGr4 wrote:

As per your usual telcodad, this is a good catch and good info.

But this stuff is fluff. It is window dressing. It is PR gobbledygook. By adding these features and making a big deal out of it, this confirms that Comcast is not listening to it's customers about what we REALLY want.

Silver Problem Solver

Color me disappointed.

Most Valued Poster

@strotti wrote:

- hidding SD channels

Really annoying.

You can have the guide only show HD programming. Press Guide button twice and select what you want to see. There are so many bazillions of channels now I wish they would make more guide selection choices so we don't have page down Ad infinitum thru ' category layers' we have no interest  in. In other words let the user tailor the guide to only what they really want to see.

Most Valued Poster

@telcodad wrote:

quote:

:
Recommendations Refresh
:
:
:

Also on the MCN site:

Fluff and more Fluff and nothing that is broken has been fixed....boo hiss.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:
Fluff more Fluff and nothing that is broken has been fixed....boo hiss.

Yeah, Terri the X1 fluff is more prevalent than the lint in the lint trap of my drier. Lately the weather app has been giving a "Give us a few minutes" message  the last few days. With all the rain I have been using the NOAA weather site at our local airport a lot. At least it has radar images that are updated every 10 minutes or so. I can see the severe weather as it approaches so my car isn't stoned to death with hail stones the size of golf balls. Adding a weather radar display to the weather app would be a nice feature. 

So far, nothing major has broken on my 1.53.03  2.02p4s1 box but every time I have reported this something breaks soon after my post.

I have to go along with most of you folks that the DVR recording and buffer lack are a real loss in their current form. The old system was far superior in functionality.

What can you expect from a company that incorrectly listed "Night Court" as some Judge Judy type program for almost six months, instead of the Harry Anderson, Markie Post comedy. I called them on it and got about as much response to resolve the problem as calling Santa Claus at the North Pole.

I think the X1 programmers have a severe Groking disorder. They sure don't Grok the customers complaints.

Time to feed my Martian Flatcat.

Flatcat.png

Gold Problem Solver

@BeowolfJones wrote:
 Adding a weather radar display to the weather app would be a nice feature. 

I have to go along with most of you folks that the DVR recording and buffer lack are a real loss in their current form. The old system was far superior in functionality.

I totally agree with both of those points.

Two days ago Weatherscan was suddenly replaced by Weather Channel programs. OOPS, the local system for Weatherscan broke. (it got fixed the next day)

We were expecting severe thunderstorms later that afternoon. With Weatherscan I can see the map which includes a portion Mississippi. This give a good indication of the rain that is heading our way.

I did not (and still do not) have the patience to wait for Weather Channel Local on the 8's nor do I want look for it on the internet or using my phone. Much easier to tune to ch. 101 and having right there.

I used the X1 weather app which told me nothing since there is no radar display.

One of the articles explained why I see 4 items for Taylor Swift when I go to On Demand/Music. Please do NOT tell me "more like this" and have it be for Taylor Swift.

Recommendations: I have that feature turned off. I looked at it a few times and nothing "recommended" appealed to me since they were things I have no interest in.

Of course they don't listen to what we, the customers, want and need. If they did they would find a way to let those of us with vision issues be able to adjust the guide font size so we can easily see it.

TerriB mentioned letting customers filter out the channels they don't want watch. I set up the ones I do watch in Favorites List. Looking at it filtered that way reminds me of all the channels available that I do not watch. When I want to record, I go do it through Favorites so I don't have scroll past what I don't care for.

New Poster

Hi is there a way that we can suggest certain updates with the x1 opperating system that we would like to see? I have had a few friends and family with really simple and easy ideas to intergrate, but we have no where to submit this feedback to feel heard. Thank you.