Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@TerriB wrote:

I searched for 'lithium' on the board. There actually is such an animal.  Has something to do with Comcast forum maintenance. Really? They need to heal from the inside out. Check it out!

Terri,

Look at the bottom of this page..... ( it is POWERED by Lithium!!!! )   <hehehehehehe>

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

If you look at the bottom of any page on this forum you will find a logo for Lithium.

Powered by Lithium

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Where's the most of all the features the latest update br...

Where's the list of all the features the latest update broke? Come on Comcast, do you really think the enable all, kids zone or Spanish menus is more important than a functional dvr and all the other stability issues and lost features that the customers report? Comcast, Are you guys blind, deaf or just plain stupid?

Teri, I can't believe that woman told you they test for a year. I almost choked after reading that. It's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard and the funny thing is I bet that lady really believes it. The rate at which they crank out patches makes it impossible for testing to be that extensive. As for the quality of their testing... Lol.

Whatever drugs that lady was on.... I want some too. Lol
Regular Contributor

Bartholomew Cubbins had to deal with 500 hats.

We get to deal with:

hat.png

I wish I could pour some oobleck on it.

Looks like the employee's get a BIG display while the forum limits us to tiny Avatars.

The statements of Comcast employee's about testing have to be taken with a grain of salt or perhaps a pound of salt. They are just regurgitating the corporate line and can't be faulted for wanting to keep their jobs.  No one at a level high enough to change policy seems to care or be motivated to take action on the customers complaints. This has been and continues to be the major problem.

If Comcast would open source their code the programming community would fix this mess ASAP.

Too bad that won't happen. Maybe Karma will catch up with them.

3Dpic.gif

Most Valued Poster

Re: Where's the most of all the features the latest update br...

@MadMangs wrote:
Where's the list of all the features the latest update broke? Come on Comcast, do you really think the enable all, kids zone or Spanish menus is more important than a functional dvr and all the other stability issues and lost features that the customers report? Comcast, Are you guys blind, deaf or just plain stupid?

Teri, I can't believe that woman told you they test for a year. I almost choked after reading that. It's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard and the funny thing is I bet that lady really believes it. The rate at which they crank out patches makes it impossible for testing to be that extensive. As for the quality of their testing... Lol.

Whatever drugs that lady was on.... I want some too. Lol

You hit the nail square on. I totally support having a stable platform and truly functional dvr and get back lost features used  and loved by the general population BEFORE they should add widgets and 'nice to have' for specific groups. I want everyone to have what they need but no segment should get special treatment while the basics fall apart.

Yep I believe that she believed what she told me about the test process at HQ!  What a nice head job they must do in sales rep training! I had to hold back laughing  and crying at the same time when she told me. Drugs would be nice.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 updates

How do you know which segment is fully functional and which isn't? Do you think it's possible only a small portion of subscribers have the issues you have? I am not belittling your issues because they are extremely valid. I am thankful I don't and never have. So, if it's possible the majority have working systems, wouldn't it be a good thing they have added new helpful features like the control panel widget?
Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
How do you know which segment is fully functional and which isn't? Do you think it's possible only a small portion of subscribers have the issues you have? I am not belittling your issues because they are extremely valid. I am thankful I don't and never have. So, if it's possible the majority have working systems, wouldn't it be a good thing they have added new helpful features like the control panel widget?

Beyond the basic issues of having to restart, random occurences of error messages, and slower response time than the legacy system, which you are very lucky not to have.

I would answer - not if they are working on these new features instead of working on basic functionalities, like slow motion, freeze frame, buffer during On Demand, buffer recording, delayed rewind, and large icons and blackout sections blocking the screen.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Beyond the basic issues of having to restart, random occurences of error messages, and slower response time than the legacy system, which you are very lucky not to have.

I would answer - not if they are working on these new features instead of working on basic functionalities, like slow motion, freeze frame, buffer during On Demand, buffer recording, delayed rewind, and large icons and blackout sections blocking the screen.

Brandonbob.....what tctc said is spot on. Its really difficult to comprehend that you don't have any of those issues. You must live in nirvana, usa

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I searched for 'lithium' on the board. There actually is such an animal.  Has something to do with Comcast forum maintenance. Really? They need to heal from the inside out. Check it out!

Terri,

Look at the bottom of this page..... ( it is POWERED by Lithium!!!! )   <hehehehehehe>

-=Ray=-

Ray...I feel more 'relaxed' just seeing that....<sigh>

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Terri,

-=Ray=-

Ray...I feel more 'relaxed' just seeing that....<sigh>

If Comcast would just take what they have right now and make it work all the time in the next release it would be a big step forward. I get the feeling that the programmers are all from the "Smart Phone" crowd and don't really care about anything else but phone app's. They seem to have forgotten that the bulk of viewing is done on a traditional TV  with remote and X1 box.

If X1 was a commercial airliner I wouldn't fly on it.

Hmmm. My X1 doesn't have a black box it IS a black box.

Regular Contributor

No LOL, I am not in nirvana USA. Just Sacramento California. The only issue I have ever had was when it was a reverting from 1080 P to 720 P. However, they fixed that rather quickly with a firmware update. I've seen others post on here they didn't have issues either so I know I'm not the lone subscriber. I do know I'm lucky and thankful for that.
Frequent Visitor

Please remove those intrusive ads last channel lineup...we do not pay you to advertise or at least let us opt out of it
Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:
No LOL, I am not in nirvana USA. Just Sacramento California. The only issue I have ever had was when it was a reverting from 1080 P to 720 P. However, they fixed that rather quickly with a firmware update. I've seen others post on here they didn't have issues either so I know I'm not the lone subscriber. I do know I'm lucky and thankful for that.

Brandonbob, you actually do have these issues, but you aren't aware of them or have just accepteded them. Assuming you have a dvr, just record two consecutive shows on the same channel and have them both record 5 minutes long. Your first show will not record long and congratulations, you really do have issues. Rather, your dvr does. Your dvr can't record from its buffer either. Watch 15 minutes of a show and hit record. Your dvr didn't get the first 15 minutes like it used to. Every x1 dvr with current firmware has the same collection of "issues". I'll still think you're special though. Smiley Wink

Regular Visitor

IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

Where are the following X1 update requests?

1. Fix for guide text washout on analog (non HD) sets. Can't read, eye stress huge attempting so.

2. Fix for guide text size, impossible to read on 32" HD and smaller sets.

Drop one menu line for room or make it user adjustable. Could also resolve analog set problem.

3. Add guide text intensity setting where only the text is affected and reliable.

Could also resolve analog set readability problem.

4. Give remote X1 box without DVR the same functions as DVR box.

Show 1 minute backup, REW, pause, FF, RF remote 

5. Remote on/off controp for x1 box to reboot instead constantly having to unplug the power on the many and every stinken failure.

6. Provide an oportunity to override The many x1 failure causing EAS system interuptions.

Regular Visitor

IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

1. Fix for guide text washout on analog (non HD) sets. Can't read, eye stress huge attempting so.

Drop one menu line for room or make it user adjustable. Could also resolve analog set problem.

3. Add guide text intensity setting where only the text is affected and reliable.

5. Remote on/off controp for x1 box to reboot instead constantly having to unplug the power on the many and every stinken failure.

6. Provide an oportunity to override The many x1 failure causing EAS system interuptions.

Tags (1)
Most Valued Poster

If Comcast would just take what they have right now and make it work all the time in the next release it would be a big step forward. I get the feeling that the programmers are all from the "Smart Phone" crowd and don't really care about anything else but phone app's. They seem to have forgotten that the bulk of viewing is done on a traditional TV  with remote and X1 box.

If X1 was a commercial airliner I wouldn't fly on it.

Hmmm. My X1 doesn't have a black box it IS a black box.

I pay Comcast for X1 cable TV and expect them to keep it user friendly/stable and to not take back what they have already rolled out that makes users happy.  I do not watch tv on my smartphone. Its nice to have that option in this digital universe but BJ is spot on. Give us what we pay for and leave existing features ALONE. Do they ask customers what they want? No they do not.  They come up with what they think we want and take away what we have come to find very useful.  Their ads are all about watching shows on all devices to draw new business. Not everyone is of that mindset. I pay T Mobile for my smartphone service and I use it for many things but not watching tv.  From Comcast I want what I pay for - including DVR to perform well and be able to watch recordings/On Demand/live tv ON MY TV without errors/blackouts/slowness,loss of functions, etc.

Most Valued Poster

@HansCC wrote:

IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

Don't forget...if you are hard of hearing you can adjust text size /contrast,etc with CC options. This is the irony of all ironies. I cringe every time I think of that.

Regular Visitor

X1 good ideas but really sucks!

Regular Contributor

My DVR WORKS perfectly. I have checked it. I am very happy and thankful.

As to the buffer issue, that's not an issue to me, we have chosen to agree to disagree on the buffer issue. Let's not start that again please. 
@kevin_and_staci wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Brandonbob, you actually do have these issues, but you aren't aware of them or have just accepteded them. Assuming you have a dvr, just record two consecutive shows on the same channel and have them both record 5 minutes long. Your first show will not record long and congratulations, you really do have issues. Rather, your dvr does. Your dvr can't record from its buffer either. Watch 15 minutes of a show and hit record. Your dvr didn't get the first 15 minutes like it used to. Every x1 dvr with current firmware has the same collection of "issues". I'll still think you're special though. :smileywink

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@HansCC wrote:

IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

Don't forget...if you are hard of hearing you can adjust text size /contrast,etc with CC options. This is the irony of all ironies. I cringe every time I think of that.

Lets make a list of stuff we'd like to see restored and send PM's to ComcastAndrew and ComcastGwen and any other Comcast "Gold Hat" we can think of. Maybe one will get through.

Restore These Features

1. Buffer recording. Put the spontaneity back in our DVR.

2. Fix the sports apps to work like they used to.

3. Restore full slow -Mo capability with frame by frame advance. The Ref's have their replay, give me back mine. (Even if some of the Ref's need a tin cup and a white cane)

Add these features

1. Have recent app's like stocks be added to the listing you get from the left arrow.

2. Use one of the color keys to switch the number keys to text like on a smart phone for searches.

3. Make favorites last forever. Make any filter you set last until the nightly reboot.

and lastly, give all the X1 programmers and managers a bucket so they can place it between their legs, bend over, and let the sap run out.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@HansCC wrote:

IS ANYBODY LISTENING?

Lets make a list of stuff we'd like to see restored and send PM's to ComcastAndrew and ComcastGwen and any other Comcast "Gold Hat" we can think of. Maybe one will get through.

Restore These Features

3. Restore full slow -Mo capability with frame by frame advance. The Ref's have their replay, give me back mine. (Even if some of the Ref's need a tin cup and a white cane)

Add these features

1. Have recent app's like stocks be added to the listing you get from the left arrow.

2. Use one of the color keys to switch the number keys to text like on a smart phone for searches.

3. Make favorites last forever. Make any filter you set last until the nightly reboot.

and lastly, give all the X1 programmers and managers a bucket so they can place it between their legs, bend over, and let the sap run out.

We need to add my fave.....ability to change text font size and contrast color on guide and show info OR should it be under 'restore' since it did exist in 2014.  Hearing impaired users can change their font and contrast  within CC ( my favorite irony) so why shouldn't those of us who cannot read the tiny text have the same options.

Regular Contributor

TerriB:

Restore These Features

4. Ability to change the font size and color. Ability to change the color scheme of the display menus for easier viewing.

Add these features

4. Increase the size of the "DVD" box covers in the movie guide. If this means only 4 or 5 per line then so be it. If I put my TV on "Wide Zoom" the guide is 100% easier to read but it "clips" the beginning and end of each line. I can't image what these renderings must look like on a smart phone screen. Just thinking about it gives me a headache.

if you want to add to this list just hit Quote when you reply and edit it as you wish. If we take this POSITIVE approach maybe we can get the attention of someone at Comcast who can actually do something about our concerns.

If Comcast would make their changes available through the Comcast labs menu we could test this stuff before it just gets dumped on us in the latest update.

I notice that the XRE server version gets updated a lot more often than the STB version. How much of the XRE server version is on our boxes ?

Expert

why leaving off slo-mo? frame by frame

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

got 152.08 dated 5/19 today, fw 2.0p15s1

I do not see any obvious change in menus so far.

Regular Contributor

The color keys were easy to use - now we have a choice of white letter on black key, white letter on black key, white letter on black key, and  white letter on black key. 

Expert

@chuclkw wrote:

The color keys were easy to use - now we have a choice of white letter on black key, white letter on black key, white letter on black key, and  white letter on black key. 

have a screen shot photo to demonstrate? edit: nevermind. I now think you were speaking of your remote not the menu screen.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@chuclkw wrote:

have a screen shot photo to demonstrate?

not to speak for chuck but i think he is referring to the xr 11 remote. I love this new remote. I just got mine in the UPS mail yesterday and it is miles away from the xr 2 remote. the letter keys are all the same color. I think thats what he is referring to but that doesnt bother me...

Diamond Problem Solver

chuclkw wrote:
The color keys were easy to use - now we have a choice of white letter on black key, white letter on black key, white letter on black key, and white letter on black key.

I believe he's making a comparison of the XR2 ( color keys) with either the XR5 or XR11 ( non-color keyed) remote controls.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@chuclkw wrote:

not to speak for chuck but i think he is referring to the xr 11 remote. I love this new remote. I just got mine in the UPS mail yesterday and it is miles away from the xr 2 remote. the letter keys are all the same color. I think thats what he is referring to but that doesnt bother me...

I walked in to my local Comcast office yesterday and asked for 2 XR11 remotes - got 'em - no  questions, no hassle, no fuss, no cost

Gold Problem Solver

The XR5 and XR11 should have had color keyed ABCD buttons. It has become an industry standard for everyone else but Comcast.

Comcast blew it on this one. Nuff said.

Regular Visitor

I see little relevance to the points I was making other than wh really listens and recruits input from customers who pay for this JUNK! This blog is also poorly organized which should make it quite compatible with Comcast. I didn't even mention that the DVR randomly drops recordings I really wanted to reference like a few presented on State inetrests or just plain entertainment.. I probably got an other customers reject or poorly repaired unit. I also agree with the folks that want features to be returned. Is Comcast run by the fools in the Obama administration? It has to be true! Crud is being shoved down our throats and we stupidly keep paying for it!

Tags (1)
Gold Problem Solver

Who said anyone was responding directly to you? Your issues have been well discussed in this forum. You may think you brought forth new information but you really didn't. Have you searched this forum with your concerns? You would find PLENTY of recent reading material.

Everyday it becomes more clear that X1 was not designed for 4:3 SD TV sets. I am fine with that.

SD is a dinosaur.
HD is on it's way out the door.
UHD is here.
SUHD isn't far behind.

HD TV sets can be bought for ridiculously low prices. I am sorry but I have little sympathy for anyone that expects Comcast and X1 to support SD TV sets.

Anyone that can afford to pay Comcast $180/month or more should be able to afford reasonably up to date TV sets.

@HansCC wrote:

I see little relevance to the points I was making other than wh really listens and recruits input from customers who pay for this JUNK! This blog is also poorly organized which should make it quite compatible with Comcast. I didn't even mention that the DVR randomly drops recordings I really wanted to reference like a few presented on State inetrests or just plain entertainment.. I probably got an other customers reject or poorly repaired unit. I also agree with the folks that want features to be returned. Is Comcast run by the fools in the Obama administration? It has to be true! Crud is being shoved down our throats and we stupidly keep paying for it!

Contributor

You're fooling yourself if you think UHD is taking over HD anytime soon. 1080p isn't even standard at this point.

Most Valued Poster

@manamok wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@chuclkw wrote:

I walked in to my local Comcast office yesterday and asked for 2 XR11 remotes - got 'em - no  questions, no hassle, no fuss, no cost

You were very lucky. Its in writing on the order page on line "limited to one per household" and thats what they told me when I went to the svc center to get mine. Ironically I just got an email telling about the new remote and how to order it. Better late than never I guess.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

got 152.08 dated 5/19 today, fw 2.0p15s1

I do not see any obvious change in menus so far.

I have that update also and we keep asking for some way to know 'why the update?what changed?' but we rarely find out unless its by accident while using X1.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates$1,600

@theaircobra wrote:

You're fooling yourself if you think UHD is taking over HD anytime soon. 1080p isn't even standard at this point.

Have you seen the prices on UHD?  The vendors are pricing HD out of the market.

$1,600

http://www.frys.com/product/8433808?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

Best feature for us on the new voice remote is for searching. Just speak any actor or title and voila....there they are.  We also love the blue/white back light compared to the red light. The buttons make clicking sounds when pressed and I guess that could prove annoying but minor issue.I didn't even notice that the ABCD were no longer in color. I personally don't look at the remote when I press them. I do think using colors would be better though. Another user friendly feature gone.

Silver Problem Solver

Why not ask for an option to delay the nightly reboot?

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Who said anyone was responding directly to you? Your issues have been well discussed in this forum. You may think you brought forth new information but you really didn't. Have you searched this forum with your concerns? You would find PLENTY of recent reading material.

Everyday it becomes more clear that X1 was not designed for 4:3 SD TV sets. I am fine with that.

SD is a dinosaur.
UHD is here.
SUHD isn't far behind.

HD TV sets can be bought for ridiculously low prices. I am sorry but I have little sympathy for anyone that expects Comcast and X1 to support SD TV sets.

Anyone that can afford to pay Comcast $180/month or more should be able to afford reasonably up to date TV sets.

Rick RIck Rick....stop it please with the SD TV bashing. How many times have we been down this road. For your information many of us pay the $180 for primary source of entertainment these days rather than going out to the movies,etc.  It does NOT mean we can afford to shell out a bunch of money for a new bigger better TV.

Hugs and have a great holiday!

Most Valued Poster

@HansCC wrote:

You have violated forum guidelines. This forum is not for political commentary or bashing. Your comment makes no sense, is inappropriate and offensive. We are here to discuss and help each other with X1 issues. We get fussy with each other sometimes but you have gone too far.

Gold Problem Solver

We are all entitled to our opinions Terri. I am stating mine.

I am simply being a realist. X1 isn't designed for 4:3 SD TV sets...

32" HDTV sets are under $200. 40" sets are under $300.

If you had an appliance the was so out of date that it no longer functioned in your situation you would replace it. People buy updated computers all the time. Windows XP users are literally being forced to update. I see TVs as being no different.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

SD is a dinosaur.
UHD is here.
SUHD isn't far behind.

Rick RIck Rick....stop it please with the SD TV bashing. How many times have we been down this road. For your information many of us pay the $180 for primary source of entertainment these days rather than going out to the movies,etc.  It does NOT mean we can afford to shell out a bunch of money for a new bigger better TV.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

If you had an appliance the was so out of date that it no longer functioned in your situation you would replace it. People buy updated computers all the time. Windows XP users are literally being forced to update. I see TVs as being no different.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

SD is a dinosaur.
UHD is here.
SUHD isn't far behind.

Hugs!  You 'knew'  I was going to bark at you didn't ya? You know me  so well!  My big screen SD tv works just fine. Only issue has been font size/contrast but we have proven that HD sets have same issue.

Valued Contributor

I have to agree with Rick on this one. When you walk into a store to buy a software package the first thing you do is to look at the side of the box to see what the system requirements are. X1 should be no different. It is a software package that is designed to work at a certain level of hardware (HD). You can ignore those requirements but you are sacrificing the quality level of your viewing. 

Of course I put some of the blame on Comcast. They should not even allow homes with SD TV's to get X1. They would solve a lot of their complaints by publishing and enforcing minimum TV standards for the X1 system. 

@RickGr4 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

SD is a dinosaur.
UHD is here.
SUHD isn't far behind.

publishing and enforcing minimum TV standards for the X1 system. 

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

I have to agree with Rick on this one. When you walk into a store to buy a software package the first thing you do is to look at the side of the box to see what the system requirements are. X1 should be no different. It is a software package that is designed to work at a certain level of hardware (HD). You can ignore those requirements but you are sacrificing the quality level of your viewing. 

Of course I put some of the blame on Comcast. They should not even allow homes with SD TV's to get X1. They would solve a lot of their complaints by publishing and enforcing minimum TV standards for the X1 system. 

OMG...... I can't believe you said  "They should not even allow homes with SD TV's to get X1". X1 works beautifully on my two SD sets and my small kitchen HD set except the font. Lots of feature issues like most of us have but they have nothing to do with the type or size of our TVs.
Frequent Visitor

>brandonbob2376 wrote:
>No LOL, I am not in nirvana USA. Just Sacramento California. The only issue I have ever had was when it was a reverting from 1080 P to >720 P. However, they fixed that rather quickly with a firmware update. 

Wow.... my local comcast people (i'm in vermont) have been chasing this problem for me for the past 4 months to no avail. They have pushed so many updates to my x1 box it's still spinning.... if you have a name and number of who got this annoying issue resolved for you, i can give it to my local folks and maybe, just maybe i won't have to reset my video resolution 3 times a day.
I do find it incredible that the problem gets fixed on one side of the country and the other side the problem still exists. One would think that they would have a "problems solved" database and fixes would get passed from one region to another. But, I'm an x-IBM'r, what do i know about doing things logically... lol  (tongue in cheek)
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates and both

Snip. Replied to wrong post. 

Regular Contributor

@skibumvt wrote:
@>brandonbob2376 wrote:
>No LOL, I am not in nirvana USA. Just Sacramento California. The only issue I have ever had was when it was a reverting from 1080 P to >720 P. However, they fixed that rather quickly with a firmware update. 

Wow.... my local comcast people (i'm in vermont) have been chasing this problem for me for the past 4 months to no avail. They have pushed so many updates to my x1 box it's still spinning.... if you have a name and number of who got this annoying issue resolved for you, i can give it to my local folks and maybe, just maybe i won't have to reset my video resolution 3 times a day.
I do find it incredible that the problem gets fixed on one side of the country and the other side the problem still exists. One would think that they would have a "problems solved" database and fixes would get passed from one region to another. But, I'm an x-IBM'r, what do i know about doing things logically... lol  (tongue in cheek)

I reported it here in this thread and to comcastNiel. I don't know if he personally had anything to do with the fix but shortly after I reported it, it was fixed. 

Gold Problem Solver

The right people are VERY aware of this issue and working on it.

@skibumvt wrote:
@>brandonbob2376 wrote:

Expert

got fw 2.02p2 today still have 1.52.08

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

got fw 2.02p2 today still have 1.52.08

I cringe now when we get updates to anything on X1 because we lose functionality with almost every update.