Community Forum

Unable to record to DVD

New Poster

Unable to record to DVD

Until last Frifday I was able to record both live TV and DVR programs to DVD ... I was a Direct TV customer.

I now have Xfinity DVR and find that I can record neither live TV nor DVR programs to my DVD.

Have I taken a step backward into the twilight zone or have I just spent the weeklend spinning my wheels trying to accomplish the impossible? If its not possible to recored to DVD with your DVR, why in the world would I or anyone else want to pay more to get less???

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@PDCAP wrote:

Until last Frifday I was able to record both live TV and DVR programs to DVD ... I was a Direct TV customer.

I now have Xfinity DVR and find that I can record neither live TV nor DVR programs to my DVD.

Have I taken a step backward into the twilight zone or have I just spent the weeklend spinning my wheels trying to accomplish the impossible? If its not possible to recored to DVD with your DVR, why in the world would I or anyone else want to pay more to get less???


you won't be able to record HD of course but use a cable box that has 'out to tv' cable connector and connect that to your DVD recorder. If available, you can alternately use yellow (video) and L/R audio out to the DVD recorder (composite video + audio). If you connect via your coax, be sure to have the DVD recorder's tuner set to channel 3 (or 4?) and verify you can see live video on the output of the DVD recorder to the TV. you won't be able to use HDMI from DVD recorder to TV only the coax or composite video.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Unable to record to DVD

PDCAP -- Was this information helpful for you?


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

After years of DVD recording shows from broadcast TV and on demand shows I am now getting a message stating "recording error. This program is not recordable". Is Comcast now sending a signal out blocking recording? Any way around this?

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@bg111 wrote:

After years of DVD recording shows from broadcast TV and on demand shows I am now getting a message stating "recording error. This program is not recordable". Is Comcast now sending a signal out blocking recording? Any way around this?


you posted in the X1 forum. what connection are you attempting to use to connect the DVR to the set top box? I doubt you can use other than video and L/R audio or coax (RF) as a connection.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I use a DVD recorder not a  DVR. I use coax cables from the recorder to the cable box. And just recently I cannot record off of most channels which makes me believe that Comcast is sending a blocking signal. 

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@bg111 wrote:

I use a DVD recorder not a  DVR. I use coax cables from the recorder to the cable box. And just recently I cannot record off of most channels which makes me believe that Comcast is sending a blocking signal. 


run the coax to the DVD recorder and tune to a live channel on the X1 set top box. connect the coax out of the DVD recorder to the input coax of the TV and change to that TV input and tune to channel 3 or 4 so you can see the output of the DVD recorder. do you see the live video on the TV? is your DVD player tuned to the correct channel for the output (usually 3 or 4)?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I believe the set up is correct. This problem of channels being blocked from DVD recording just started a few weeks ago. No changes were made to the set up of cords from before this problem started until now. The only change is now I can't record off of many channels. 

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@bg111 wrote:

I believe the set up is correct. This problem of channels being blocked from DVD recording just started a few weeks ago. No changes were made to the set up of cords from before this problem started until now. The only change is now I can't record off of many channels. 


were you able to get live video to play as above?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

IMG_0277.JPG

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by live video. Here is a screen shot of the message I get when I can't record a program with my DVD recorder. I was always able to record most channels and now I receive this message on channels  I used to be able to record. That is why I'm thinking that a signal is being set to the cable box or recorder blocking the recording. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I think you’ll have to track down what’s in VR mode, either the recorder or the tv.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I had a friend who insisted he needed (wanted) to watch his old videos on his DVD recorder on his new television. I ended up connecting the old DVD recorder using a coaxial cable and connecting the coaxial cable to the Antenna connection on the television.

 

If the television has no way to set to channel 3 (or 4). Then you will need to place a DVD disk in the DVR recorder (or play a previously recorded program) in the device. While playing have the television do a search for available over the air channels on Antenna. The only one found will be the one the device is outputting on.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

IMG_0379.JPGFirst I'd like to say I appreciate everyone's help in this matter. It's frustrating when for years I was able to record off of TV and On Demand and now cannot even though there were no changes with my set up of cables, boxes, etc. I now get an error message saying this program is not allowed to be recorded with nothing mentioned about VR mode. The DVD recorder has a built in tuner which is set on channel 4 as it always has been. Again, everything was working as it had for years until a few months ago . And now for an unknown reason I am unable to record. The fact that nothing has changed on my end is why I am looking for help here.

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Unable to record to DVD

The picture that you posted said “VR mode”. You may have to follow up with your recorder manufacturer, as Comcast doesn’t support third party equipment.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

The first picture I posted did state that the program was not recordable in VR mode but the more recent screenshot states that the program is not allowed to be recorded. I've been using this same recorder for about 10 years and until recently had no issues recording any programs. My equipment hasn't changed, neither has the cable set up. The only difference now is the error message.

Regular Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I just discovered the same thing with my Toshiba DVD recorder, although the other night, it was able to record a show that was actually airing on regular TV.

 

Comcast and broadcasters want you to use their equipment, which I would rather not use.  If I have shows recorded to a DVR device, and the hard drive goes belly up, then I've most likely just lost everything on it.  If I lose a DVD, the number of shows lost is minimal.  If it's in the cloud, I have to use WIFI to get it back, and if I put too much in the cloud, I have to pay for more space. 

 

Need to check later if another recorder brand/HD vs SD box will yield different results.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@epictale wrote:

I just discovered the same thing with my Toshiba DVD recorder, although the other night, it was able to record a show that was actually airing on regular TV.

 

Comcast and broadcasters want you to use their equipment, which I would rather not use.  If I have shows recorded to a DVR device, and the hard drive goes belly up, then I've most likely just lost everything on it.  If I lose a DVD, the number of shows lost is minimal.  If it's in the cloud, I have to use WIFI to get it back, and if I put too much in the cloud, I have to pay for more space. 

 

Need to check later if another recorder brand/HD vs SD box will yield different results.


I think you nailed it about Comcast wanting to use their equipment. I'm paying over $1300 a year and don't even have a DVR or HD. And now I can't record most channels or anything On Demand.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Unable to record to DVD

Big11,

I have a few thoughts here. First of all, why would anyone want to record from an X1 to another device such as a DVD recorder. The SD picture quality is HORRIBLE and the sound is in analog stereo at best. It is a terrible viewing experience.

Why would you not pay $10/month for a full blown Comcast HD DVR? You could spend as much buying blank DVD discs.

Sorry for folks but I do not understand why ANYONE would want to record to blank DVD discs.

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@RickGr4 wrote:
Big11,

I have a few thoughts here. First of all, why would anyone want to record from an X1 to another device such as a DVD recorder. The SD picture quality is HORRIBLE and the sound is in analog stereo at best. It is a terrible viewing experience.

Why would you not pay $10/month for a full blown Comcast HD DVR? You could spend much buying blank DVD discs.

Sorry for folks but I do not understand why ANYONE would want to record to blank DVD discs.

Rick:

 

I fully agree with what you stated here. However; there is one reason for recording to DVD discs which you might have done in the past. My 4 brothers and myself are all computer nerds. We have converted old 8 and super 8 films going back to 1944. I can still view them on my Lenovo circa 2017 AIO computer, or my Sony Real 3d Blu-ray player. I do have a collection of 18 Real 3D movies on Blu-Ray Discs.

 

 As for movies; I watch them when they come along in HD. If I haven't seen them before, they are new to me.  Our high-end UHD televisions do a good job for old movies made for HD wide-screen television.

 

Mark


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Unable to record to DVD

Rick:

Other reason/s to record to disc. DVRs that have internal storage can fail and everything can be lost. If it's external storage to the cloud, I've heard of someone who had pictures stored in the cloud, and everything disappeared and could not be recovered despite having payed the monthly fee every month and on time.

With a DVR with internal storage, I can't take it with me to watch somewhere else such as on a laptop. With the cloud I would have to have some type of Internet connection to watch what was recorded.

I'm not saying DVDs are the best video wise, but to me they are more reliable. But even if a DVD goes bad, I've lost a minimum number of shows (max of 10 1 hr shows/disc) and would have noted which shows were on the disc.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Unable to record to DVD

I am aware of everything you are saying. That being said, my highly significant other and I just moved after 8 years in same place. We had dozens if not hundreds of burned DVDs that nobody wanted.

Moral to my story? No recording is THAT precious. They are forgotten.

Adding to this, I am a 4k TV owner and watching something in analog 480 is an appalling thought that I would never put myself through.
New Poster

Re: Unable to record to DVD

The blue error screen whenever I'd try to record to DVD coincided with installation of the new box from Xfinity. Wouldn't even let me record the Easter Sunday Mass from the Basilica in D.C., I mean, I just wanted to have a DVD of the music to listen to later!

 

My Toshiba DVD recorder is about 10 years old and probably near the end of its useful life. I had wondered if I'd be able to order a replacement, but now Comcast has solved that for me. On the other hand, without the ability to record programs to DVD, there's really no reason to continue paying Comcast $190 a month for a clear signal to the DVD recorder. 

Expert

Re: Unable to record to DVD


@dsl777 wrote:

The blue error screen whenever I'd try to record to DVD coincided with installation of the new box from Xfinity. Wouldn't even let me record the Easter Sunday Mass from the Basilica in D.C., I mean, I just wanted to have a DVD of the music to listen to later!

 

My Toshiba DVD recorder is about 10 years old and probably near the end of its useful life. I had wondered if I'd be able to order a replacement, but now Comcast has solved that for me. On the other hand, without the ability to record programs to DVD, there's really no reason to continue paying Comcast $190 a month for a clear signal to the DVD recorder. 


what model set top box are you using to connect to the DVD recorder? are you using yellow (video) and mono/stereo audio RCA cables?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!