Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

USB & HDMI Ports???

Contributor

USB & HDMI Ports???

Ok so the Comcast technician who installed my X1 was a nice guy and all, but he wasn't really up on the latest technologies and didn't seem to know the "geeky" stuff about it like I'm into. So when I asked him about the USB ports & the HDMI in port he told me they don't do anything - which may be correct, but it just seems off to me that they would go to the effort of designing the unit so it had them there and then just not make use of & take advantage of the added features available (i.e. USB port to connect an external hard drive for DVR storage [I had Dish Network before and could do that with their unit] or the HDMI in port be used so your BluRay player plugs into the X1 freeing up a port on your TV as I know I need to get a switch since I keep having to plug & unplug cables since I have so many media connected devices.

Anyway if anyone knows anything further let me know.
Tags (2)
New Poster

Re: USB & HDMI Ports???

I think they're for the tech back At the shop that are properly trained with proper software to completely erase and format the HDD of all the nice cartoons movies and MTV videos so it can be sent back out after tested for quality and durability for the next X-1 customer who wants to enjoy the fastest more reliable service on the planet we call earth! Otherwise geeks plug in there flop taps and try to kiddie script their way into the device pretty much ruining over n over n over til they have paid for enough trouble calls and boxes and blames X-1 for their own ineptitude on the equipment and lack of training and having the proper software. Otherwise it would be given to every customer with a have fun and smiley face sticker on the package w/bold print that says break it!!!! Over n over n over again but don't blame us!!!!
New Poster

If Ur not equipped w/the right software and drivers its not gonna do much unless your lucky and there maybe some prompts you've never seen before and you'll do Ur best to answer the prompts and get NO WHERE!!!! even if you do its not gonna let ya do much its receiver with a recorder, not an alien contact box!!!
New Poster

HDMI I believe its an auxiliary output or like a switch if you plug Ur DVD player in it may work that way or it may just be a test port to see if the HDD is recording properly and everything on the DVR is in normal working order, I like second of the two just cause after 30 years of working on electronics ROMs and HDD PC'S That's what I'd make it do and no more! Why people would go in and break it!!!
New Poster

One last thing my answers are blanket and in no way questioning Ur abilities to work on electronics PC's etc. Your probably smarter than me seeing j forgot more over my years and have books laying around to help my brain. But in any case I hope it helps lend some info as to what they do and why they do what they do... as far as me ranting on the breaking part that's 90% of the time of what happens to electronics when people go playing with stuff they have no clue what the switches plugs chips dips adjusting resistors are all for. So I thought a blanket answer would be best. And was in no way meant to disrespect you or your knowledge skills and abilities. But more so to keep the curious out of the working ones that are hooked up to the family television so they don't BREAK IT FOR EVERYONE!!!
Official Employee

The tech was right those ports are all disabled and have no function.