Community Forum

Transfering service to new address, get .PST code on X1 box, installed an amp but still not work...?

Highlighted
New Poster

Transfering service to new address, get .PST code on X1 box, installed an amp but still not work...?

Hi,

I transferred existing internet/X1 service to a new address.   I got cable modem and internet access activated.  It works well, have no latency or connection issues.  But cannot get my X1 tv service to work.   Almost certain its low signal strength to the house. 

When I plug in the box, the box says "boot" as normal and then sometimes shows "CAst" or "SiST" but always ends up showing ".Pst" in the end (some ppl on this forum call it "1Pst" or just "Pst").  My research says this is a low-signal-strength issue. 

I checked all my connections and wires, everything is tight and no obvious problems with wiring.  The outside box had a 4 port splitter.  But I replaced the splitter with an 8-port amp (supposedly adds +4dB, whereas the splitter subtracted -7dB ).  The amp does have power (green light lit up).  Internet still works fine with the amp, but no luck with the TV.  I tried the main X1 cable box on the same coax outlet (in office) as the one from which the cable modem works, still no luck.  I also tried the cable modem on the coax outlet for the X1 (in living room) and internet works through that outlet, but not X1.  

....so the cable modem works with all the coax outlets I use, but the X1 cable box works with none of them. 

Talked with two different customer service reps, and both said my cable box is not getting a connection or that Comcast/Xfinity cannot connect to my cable box.  Again, I have ensured the wire coming from the pole to the outside connection box and then into the house appear to be solid.

From my research on these forums, these symptoms are pretty common and the result is almost always...a tech has to be sent out to correct the signal strength issue.  Is there anything else that I can do?  Or is there any way for Comcast to do something without sending a guy?

Official Employee

Re: Transfering service to new address, get .PST code on X1 box, installed an amp but still not work

No, you need a tech out. You’ve covered what you could on your own with no success. Possible that the signal is bad enough that the modem can lock on to the signal but cable box can’t. You could try bypassing the amp and have just the one line hooked up to see if that works.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Transfering service to new address, get .PST code on X1 box, installed an amp but still not work

Thanks.  I used a coupler and connected the line directly from the pole to the line going directly to the living room (X1 box) and still no luck....same Pst error. 

I also plugged the line from the pole directly into the in-port on the amp and no luck.  There is a little metal tube-shaped thing with a ground wire connection in between the pole and the amp.  Not sure what this device does (other than act as an attachment for ground wire), can you tell me what this is????

Anyway, I've tried everything, internet works fine but no X1. 

Official Employee

Sounds like a moca filter(needs to be there).

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you for the response, and I'm sure you're exactly right....a point of entry filter makes all the sense in the world. 

But I wonder if my new amp and this moca poe filter might be having any problems.  I've had the same problem before I installed the signal amplifier.  So I know the amp didn't cause this issue, it just didn't fix it either.  But I wonder if possibly the new amp might have introduced any new problems (in conjunction with the moca filter) that have not yet shown themselves to me.   The reason I ask is because I read something saying that moca filters and amps don't play nicely.  But this might have been overcome in newer moca poe filters....maybe. 

I desperately need to get a *good* technician out here. 

Expert

adding... check the coax connection on the set top box. it is quite easy to connect input to the out to TV coax connector.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

What you are referring to is Moca itself (how the boxes communicate with each other) and certain amps. Different than a moca filter which basically is a reflector (keeps your services in and neighbors out). I’ve escalated it up to a colleague to help schedule a tech.
If you can, take a look at the signal levels of your modem.

Official Employee

Hi @NadiaH

Thank you for posting to the Community Forum. I can assist you with getting a tech scheduled to have the error you are receiving resolved. Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

New Poster

Thank you, I have a serviceman scheduled to come out.  I will try to update this thread with what happens. 

Official Employee

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep this thread open for a while in case you are able to follow up. I hope the tech is able to resolve this for you. 

Official Employee

Hi @NadiaH

I just wanted to follow up once more to see if your issues were resolved when the tech came out?