Community Forum

The XFINITY X1 Weather App, that used to work for me, no longer works. What's going on?

Valued Contributor

The XFINITY X1 Weather App, that used to work for me, no longer works. What's going on?

The X1 Weather App, now, goes to a partial blackened screen, then the screen goes back to the Apps selection tiles.  What's going on?

New Poster

Weather App not working

Does anyone know why the weather app doesn’t work anymore? You click on it and it makes the tv dark and you have to exit out Anyone???
Contributor

Re: Weather App not working

I am having the same problem.  

The traffic app also appears to be dead.

Comcast’s apps need to be reworked.  The weather app should offer more (e.g, interactive radar).

@GasBuyer wrote:
Does anyone know why the weather app doesn’t work anymore? You click on it and it makes the tv dark and you have to exit out Anyone???

Expert

Have you tried unloading the current copy of the app?

Find and reload the app to get an updated version.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Not sure what you mean.  I am talking about the app on X1.  If so, I am not familiar with reloading apps on X1.  

Thanks

Expert

@UNC8185 wrote:

Not sure what you mean.  I am talking about the app on X1.  If so, I am not familiar with reloading apps on X1.  

Thanks

Unplug the box for a few minutes. Plug it back in and give it 5 or more minutes to reset.

I have no need for X1 box or the 4K DVR. I get all my apps from my television for IPV use.

The weather option on X1 may be down for upgrading currently.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

It is truly a disappointment what Comcast did to the weather app!! The original weather app showed more detail for each of the days in the extended forecast.........the bad change is that it no longer shows any weather alerts??  We have a coastal flood warning and wind advisory and one would never know it now! What happens when there is a winter storm warning, no notification on the weather app anymore!

Comcast, you are not doing us a favor shrinking down the so-called weather app that you have changed to!

New Poster

Thank you but you shouldn’t have to reload apps on your tv - and how would you do that anyway?
New Poster

Tried this Doesn’t work
Regular Contributor

Re: The XFINITY X1 Weather App, that used to work for me, no longer works. What's going on?

Seeing the same thing on occasions.

When the new WX app does work it extremely slow.

Also missing is Wind direction next to the speed.

It does look like they changed the app and show less info.

Such as Sunrise/Sunset is missing.

Edit: Restart and System Refresh does not correct the problem.

Contributor

Re: The XFINITY X1 Weather App, that used to work for me, no longer works. What's going on?

I have the same problem. When it loads they give you less weather info.

Contributor

It started working again.
Problem Solver

The original weather app has been replaced by something that is similar but poorly done. Much of the information that used to be shown is gone. The original app loaded fast. The replacement loads very slowly and sometimes not at all. I liked the original weather app. The poor replacement is not worth bothering with. Comcast please bring back the original weather app!

BTW, I just tried to use the weather app. Still the same poor replacement.

New Poster

I think it’s Comcast’s try at building a better APP ... didn’t work for U or ME. No one asked for a different APP, but Comcast in their infinite wisdom changed something that wasn’t broken. Building tomorrow’s whether you want it or not. 

Official Employee

Hello All, 

Thank you for making us aware of the experience you're having while trying to access the Weather app. There was a recent update. I don't normally use it, but when I just tried to access the app, I also have the same problem. Then screen went black, then it went back to regular TV. I reset my boxes and completed a System Refresh, but that didn't help either.

I'll need to contact the Advanced Techs so we can begin trending this issue. If you are still having this problem, can you please verify your first and last name in a private message, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@lryranger1

**Update** 

Thanks for posting your question to the Xfinity Forum. The changes that were made in the new Weather widget are not related to a technical issue. I was able to confirm this is due to an update pushed on 12/18/18. I will also pass along your feedback regarding the changes.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

We used to be able to see the weather for a list of cities. Now it only shows the local weather.
Regular Visitor

Xfinity Weathr App

Recently a change to Weather App was made.  I use to be able to add various location throughout the U.S. but now it only defaults to current location.  No longer can I see other cities nor do I have the ability to add other cities.  That was a feature I really liked.  There was no warning it was going away.  I want to know why Xfinity changed this app.  I have tried re-setting, re-starting but it stays the same.  I've also noticed the addition of many more apps I never use.  I would like an answer to this question.

Thank you.

New Poster

Thank you for looking into this for us!
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info (I guess).

I tried it a day later and the app started up then.

It is defintely a new app. It looks like others had same issue.

The new one apparently will not allow multiple cities to view weather info about.

Oh well....

Valued Contributor

The previous app would allow multiple cities (a maximum of 5 -at least for me) That was a good thing. 

Have a nice day.

Contributor

I agree with ... Taking away the ability to have multiple cities is a bummer! I have family all over the place and it was easy to go to the Weather App to see what their weather was. My own weather? Either I'll look outside or use my own weather station!!

New Poster

First Xfinity did away with the cast and crew bios, now they've done away with the Traffic app, and the Weather app has been downgraded to include only minimal info, no out of town weather and no alerts. The Stocks and Horoscope apps have also been downgraded. What I hate is how they do this with no notice or any justification. Customers are losing part of the experience they pay for and getting nothing in return other than a higher monthly bill
New Poster

Also having the same issue with the weather app. Spoke with Xfinity 6 times over two days and still no resolution. Some employees say there is a problem while others say that this is the new functionality. It is enough to make me want to cancel my relationship sith Comcast which I have had for over 30 years.

Surely there must be someone with brains enough to realize the issue is causing displeasure with Comcast's customer base - as shown by these posts.

New Poster

We have been trying to get Comcast to fix this since 12/21/2018. They created ticket CR822389052 on that date; when we spoke with them yesterday, 12/28, they said that ticket was "closed" but there was no resolution noted. Problem still there, so they created ticket CR823598071 on 12/28. My husband and I suspect that Comcast is saving money by diminishing the Traffic, Stocks, and Weather apps, since it cists them to maintain them and they are free to us customers - most of those other apps require payment (Netflix, etc.)

New Poster

Guess it's time to let Comcast know collectively by us that there are "many" other options to watch the TV.

New Poster

You got that right. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with Comcast since 12/21, just on this one issue. We have never had good luck with their customer service, but this just may be the straw that breaks our business with them. We pay over $200/month and have been their customer for 18 years, but this is really almost too much. How can we little customers get any satisfaction on this issue from such a huge company? If they aren't going to give us back the Weather app format, then just have the honesty to tell us.

Regular Visitor

I'm with you all the way.  Thanks for speaking up.  I also pay over $200/mo. and don't see any need for all those new apps.  Xfinity added.  It'a a waste for me.  We should have been notified so we could make better decisions about Comcast/Xinity X1.

Official Employee

Hello All, 

I wanted to provide an update. The Advanced Techs have confirmed, the issues of the widget app that have been reported for weather is currently unavailable as Comcast has decided to remove said features. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

New Poster

Thank you for the update.  We realize that was a technical design decision, but we want to let you know that we are not happy about it.  Perhaps the application designers will consider adding functionality to their apps in the future rather than taking it away.

Problem Solver

It was not a technical design decision. It was a simply a way to save money. This was the same reason they previously had discontinued the WeattherScan channel.

Sure you can get equivalent weather updates with a weather app on your phone but that is not the point. I for one am not glued to my cell phone all day. I am in front of a TV much more often. The X1 Weather app was a convenient way to check the weather forecast during the day.

I am not privy to how the X1 Weather app but I can make a few educated guesses. The original X1 Weather app like the ones on a cell phone needed timely updates.. This means they always have to be running in the background. This allowed them to not always be receiving weather updates but allowed to start quickly to view the weather. The downside of always running in the background was it ate up a little bandwidth. To Comcast this was too much because multiplied times a million X1 units it really added up.

The new X1 Weather app does not run in the background. It only runs when selected. Also the information it shows is minimal to reduce bandwidth further. That is why it is so slow to load. It takes time to update the weather data only when it is run.

I have a feeling that Comcast has gone through and replaced other X1 apps that ran in the background and ate up their precious bandwidth. An example is the X1 Stock app. It is just as slow to load as the new X1 Weather app.

New Poster

Are you able to explain to the many customers, including myself and my husband, 1) why Comcast decided to discontinue such a popu;ar and useful feature as the Weather app, and 2} why we were not simply informed of this on Dec. 21 when we first contacted Comcast about it? Comcast had multiple help teams "working" on this - with at least two trouble tickets being created by Comcast employees who apparently had not been informed about the decision to cancel this app. I am terribly disappointed in Comcast; we are looking at alternative sources for movies, weather, etc., etc. I wonder how many customers you will lose over this, especially after we speak with other Comcast customers? You may have cut off your nose to spite your face, or in today's parlance, "unintended consequences."  

New Poster

I agree; the new app for weather does not measure up... the previous app to view different locations is much better and I hope Comcast will return to it soon...

Contributor

When I click on that link I get this.  You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Contributor

I'm sure this has been suggested elsewhere, but let me throw it out here and now:

If they truly value the "customer experience", then Comcast needs to create a Consumer Panel that among other things, would review proposed changes - like those made to the Weather App - before they go live. Additionally, they should create a voluntary Wide Area Beta Program like those in place with entities like Microsoft and Apple. 

That's it.

New Poster

It’s really terrible that Comcast can just remove features; but you as a customer have no input! Shame on you Comcast! Such a monopoly
New Poster

I agree with you and the many others who have voiced their opinions on this negative change.  This "updated" weather channel is of no value.  The previous one had much more extensive info as well as being able to view other cities.  What galls me also is that no on asks about the change, we're supposed to just accept it, and pay more for it!  This also happened when they removed the ability to use the "B" button and you could see the program you were watching and yet access the Guide at the same time.  Such a rip-off from Xfinity!  Dangerously close to dropping Comcast.

Contributor
Contributor

? NEW WEATHER APP :-(

Why was the weather app changed..? I loved all the info on the old one, worked very well and it stayed up until you exited !!
The new weather app is VERY slow coming up and changing back & forth for Current and Extended. Can hardly read the Current info on the left/ way too small. Where is the Feels Like temp . and under each day - Sunrise/Sunset, wind etc ?  The app only stays on for a VERY short time to read on the current & extended page...  PLEASE return the old weather app - had all the info needed and the ICONS were awesome ... PLEASE !!!!!!!!   

Silver Problem Solver

Re: ? NEW WEATHER APP :-(

@BlueJeans07 wrote:

Why was the weather app changed..? I loved all the info on the old one, worked very well and it stayed up until you exited !!
The new weather app is VERY slow coming up and changing back & forth for Current and Extended. Can hardly read the Current info on the left/ way too small. Where is the Feels Like temp . and under each day - Sunrise/Sunset, wind etc ?  The app only stays on for a VERY short time to read on the current & extended page...  PLEASE return the old weather app - had all the info needed and the ICONS were awesome ... PLEASE !!!!!!!!   

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/The-XFINITY-X1-Weather-App-that-used-to-work-for-me-no/m-p/3179103/...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hello All,

I wanted to provide an update. The Advanced Techs have confirmed, the issues of the widget app that have been reported for weather is currently unavailable as Comcast has decided to remove said features. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Okay, after reading your post again, @ComcastChe, I am confused... Is the old Weather App gone due to "issues of the widget app that have been reported"? I never had any problems with the previous version. If it's something having to do with the "upgraded" version, why not go back to the previous, better version?

Official Employee

Hi @LazerFlash

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I was just stating the issues that were originally reported are not technical issues. These features were removed in the recent update. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to go back to the old version at this point, however, aside from sharing this feedback with my leadership, customers can also use this site to share your suggestions and thoughts of how and why the last versions features were beneficial to. Your voices and opinions matter and I think this would be good information that our app engineers would take into consideration to better our customers experience. 

BTW, I've updated my original response to help better clarify. I hope this helps. 

New Poster

This app has not worked as the old app for weeks. After multiple calls, I have received no answers and app still does not offer everything it did before. Poor customer service from Comcast. Pay $209 a month for no support.

Diamond Problem Solver

At the top of this thread click on go to best answer, features were removed with the latest update

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

That's great. Pay more get less. If I was able to select another provider, I would and I will never recommend Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

@dendar109 wrote:

That's great. Pay more get less. If I was able to select another provider, I would and I will never recommend Comcast.

Use this link:

https://collect.iperceptions.com/?lID=1&rn=123531&pID=1&hs1=102214&hs2=91787&siteID=1&sdfc=03b756c0-...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@dendar109 wrote:

Use this link:

https://collect.iperceptions.com/?lID=1&rn=123531&pID=1&hs1=102214&hs2=91787&siteID=1&sdfc=03b756c0-...

That link doesn't work for me. It continuously times out.

Silver Problem Solver

@LazerFlash wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dendar109 wrote:

Use this link:

It works with Chrome.  Which browser are you using?

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@LazerFlash wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dendar109 wrote:

Use this link:

It works with Chrome.  Which browser are you using?

Firefox. LOL.. Now it works fine. Must'ved been a hiccup yesterday.

Contributor

The new weather app is useless.  Thanks for checking w/ your customers to see if this is a change they wanted first *sarcasm*