Community Forum

Takes long time for X1 box handshaking to TV

Regular Contributor

Takes long time for X1 box handshaking to TV

It's been taking almost two minutes for my X1 box to handshake with the TV....says searching for signal then no signal then searches and finds it. I have tried different hdmi cables and I get the same issue. My roku and ps3 connect perfectly so it's not the TV....any ideas?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Takes long time for X1 box handshaking to TV

X1 boxes have HDMI handshake issues with certain TVs. Comcast is very aware and they have said a fix is coming soon.

That being said, I would certainly check to see if there is any firmware updates for your TV.

davephillips41 wrote:
It's been taking almost two minutes for my X1 box to handshake with the TV....says searching for signal then no signal then searches and finds it. I have tried different hdmi cables and I get the same issue. My roku and ps3 connect perfectly so it's not the TV....any ideas?

Regular Contributor

TV is updated to the latest firmware...of course the TV is from 2008, but it never did this until a few months after I got the X1 box and after a Comcast X! update. Anyway, when is Comcast going to fix this issue?

Expert

davephillips41 wrote:

TV is updated to the latest firmware...of course the TV is from 2008, but it never did this until a few months after I got the X1 box and after a Comcast X! update. Anyway, when is Comcast going to fix this issue?

hooked up via HDMI? if so, can you move the cable box hdmi to the highest numbered hdmi port (hopefully has no features that control TV from the DVR).

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Search the forum for the latest handshake updates. It is discussed quite often...

davephillips41 wrote:

Regular Contributor

Keeps getting worse and worse...Took nearly 3 minutes to get my TV to handshake with the X1 box today. I've changed HDMI cable again and still the same result.

If I use Playstation 3, it's on right away. Same for ROKU.

This is frustrating.

Silver Problem Solver

Use component instead of hdmi. Problem solved. Personally I can't even notice a difference in picture quality.
Silver Problem Solver

Looks like we can only use component with the Pace v1 X1 DVR?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Pace V1 and V2 have component outputs. Pace V3 and Arris do not.

Thought you knew that Robert...

RobertWy wrote:

Looks like we can only use component with the Pace v1 X1 DVR?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Silver Problem Solver

I claim Senior Moment.

I have a hard time remembering everything I read here.  That's why I use links to look things up.

Guess that link is outdated.

Gold Problem Solver

No problem Robert... LOL.

Davephillips, I doubt you will agree with this but the problem you are having is not just a Comcast problem. There must also be an issue with your particular TV. If the issue you were having fell 100% to the Comcast box, many other people would be registering the same complaint. Quite honestly you may be the only person I am aware of that has registered this exact same complaint.

X1 boxes have HDMI issues. We know that. Personally I think the reason it is happening is Comcast is trying to auto negotiate to many parameters and they have fallen outside of well known and well accept HDMI specs and standards.

RobertWy wrote:

I claim Senior Moment.

I have a hard time remembering everything I read here.  That's why I use links to look things up.

Guess that link is outdated.

Regular Contributor

Still having this problem. Turn on my TV and it takes 3-4 minutes for the handshake to be right for HDMi. Have tried all sorts of different cables. Never had a problme with the old style box.

But the X1 box, says NO SIGNAL for 30 seconds, then searching for signal for a minute, then you get the picture for a split second, back to searching for signal for a minute, then finally a picture....very frustrating.

TV is a Samsung DLP HLT-5087S...TV is great...nice and fast too. But I'd like to know what the problem is and fix it so I get the proper response from the TV.

Gold Problem Solver

A fix was already offered. You didn't try it?
Regular Contributor

What fix? Try component???

Gold Problem Solver

If you have a Pace DVR swap it for an Arris. If you have an Arris swap it for a Pace. They use different chipstets and that may help you.
Gold Problem Solver

Yes using component would solve the problem.
Regular Contributor

Maybe I will swap it for an Arris. I have a Pace...But I dont wanna lose everything I have on DVR I havent watched...Is everything on the cloud now or via hard drive DVR?

As for component...no way. I have everything going through a new receiver via HDMI (and yes I had the problem before I got the new receiver).

Gold Problem Solver

Any time you swap DVRs with Comcast your recordings are gone. Nothing has changed in that regard.
Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:
Any time you swap DVRs with Comcast your recordings are gone. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Well, if you have cloud you can still view them from a PC or mobile device.

Expert
Moved:

Expert

closing year old thread

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.