Community Forum

TV remote battery life conservation?

New Poster

TV remote battery life conservation?

So I got my new cable box and remote a few days ago and the batteries on the remote are already dead.  Please tell me it's not normal for the batteries in my remote to go from 90% to dead in 2 days.  Most of my remotes can go longer than a year before I have to change the batteries.  I didn't even use the remote yesterday except to adjust the volume a few times and turn the tv on and off.  I was using my phone to change the channel.

I have a voice remote (I don't use the voice feature).  I noticed right away that all of the buttons are backlit and I don't see any way to turn that off.  Backlighting is fine for a keyboard running on USB power but for a battery powered device it's just dumb.

Are there any sort of power conservation options that can be enabled for the remote?  It has XR11 printed on the battery cover.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TV remote battery life conservation?

paulschaaf wrote:

So I got my new cable box and remote a few days ago and the batteries on the remote are already dead.  Please tell me it's not normal for the batteries in my remote to go from 90% to dead in 2 days.  Most of my remotes can go longer than a year before I have to change the batteries.  I didn't even use the remote yesterday except to adjust the volume a few times and turn the tv on and off.  I was using my phone to change the channel.

I have a voice remote (I don't use the voice feature).  I noticed right away that all of the buttons are backlit and I don't see any way to turn that off.  Backlighting is fine for a keyboard running on USB power but for a battery powered device it's just dumb.

Are there any sort of power conservation options that can be enabled for the remote?  It has XR11 printed on the battery cover.

There are no power conservation options available for the XR11 remote.  That being said, I have heard of a few remotes that did exactly what you are describing, and this is solved by replacing the remote at no charge at your local Service Center.  Service Center Locations can be found here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

Note:  I have three Xr11s and one XR5 and am still on the same set of batteries in each remote for over 8 months now.  

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

I have the same problem and was looking for answers if there's a way to turn the backlight off. I'll put brand new batteries in the remote and then in a week the remote says batteries are low, I'm constantly having to buy new batteries. They need to fix this problem!
Gold Problem Solver

Cherjackson wrote:
I have the same problem and was looking for answers if there's a way to turn the backlight off. I'll put brand new batteries in the remote and then in a week the remote says batteries are low, I'm constantly having to buy new batteries. They need to fix this problem!

As stated in the reply to another user back in December, there is no setting to turn off the backlight and the problem may be with the Remote which can be swapped out at your local Service Center for free.   Locations can be found using this link:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations