Community Forum

TV Screen goes to the Screen Saver for no reason

Silver Problem Solver

Re: TV Screen goes to the Screen Saver for no reason

@Tjaco wrote:

Really frustrating.  I keep reading posts from people complaining about the screen saver coming up while watching a program and responses along the lines of "go to screen saver settings, change the time blah blah blah."  The screen saver shouldn't be coming up when you are watching a program.  Period.  So what is the actual answer? 

Have you tried the A button System Refresh?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Tjaco wrote:

Really frustrating.  I keep reading posts from people complaining about the screen saver coming up while watching a program and responses along the lines of "go to screen saver settings, change the time blah blah blah."  The screen saver shouldn't be coming up when you are watching a program.  Period.  So what is the actual answer? 

first fix at thei time is to unplug your set top box and after 30 seconds or so plug it back in.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Duh. Now what's the real "best answer".

New Poster

Help? The menu set to 5hrs for screensaver but it comes on every 5-10 minutes
Expert

wrote:
Help? The menu set to 5hrs for screensaver but it comes on every 5-10 minutes

try rebooting that particular set top box. Are you sure it is not your TV's screensaver?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

The best answer is to unplug the box, not the tv, and wait 20-30 seconds and plug it back in.  Had this issue start suddenly and rebooting the box cleared it up.

New Poster

I have done the above listed suggestions and my screen continues to go to the screensaver. Help please. It is set to 5 hours.
New Poster

This just started for me as well. I pressed A on my remote and did a restart and now im not having the problem with the screensaver anymore. Hope this helps!
New Poster

The screen saver keeps popping up when I’m watching tv after a few minutes even when I set it to 5 hours...please help
Expert

@EstebanFamily wrote:
The screen saver keeps popping up when I’m watching tv after a few minutes even when I set it to 5 hours...please help

unplug the power from the set top box for 30 seconds or so and plug back in and problem will probably go away. 

New Poster

Same thing here too....

We are trying the A button right now, hard booting didnt help.

Should doing a system refresh do it I'll post it.
New Poster

A button refresh did not work. (Neither did hard boot)

Top box must be bad...
New Poster

Correction:

I thought my wife did the refresh... but instead wanted to finish show first...

There we go... the refresh is running right now, takes 10 minutes.... so we wait. TV is running just fine during refresh.

Irony, we have a TV with an HD antenna in the other room. Works good for locals with 1200' hills in the way, and 37 miles from broadcasters' antennas.

Still waiting to finish reset... no screensaver thus far.

Say I think it worked! 15 minutes out and all is well, no screensaver! But weather guy on news just fooled us by posting landscapes! Whew!

"A" button did it!!!
New Poster

There are two VERY different questions being asked here. and whether intentionally or by error one is NOT being asked.

The question NOT being answered is HOW/WHY does the X1 go to screen saver when a person leaves the room.?  Please DO NOT talk about settings, change mods etc.. Those responses DO NOT answer the question.  The simple base question is:" How does the X1 box know when to change to screen saver if for example, someone leaves the room.  This IS NOT the same questions as the unit going to screen saver inadvertently, thought they both could be related. SO again, how does the X! box know it is ok to go to Screen saver more or in reverse how does the unit know NOT to go to screen saver mode?

New Poster

I have had the screen saver problem since March 20, 2018 and have had 10 or 12 discussions with Comcast. I also have had 4 service techs at my house and it happened again this morning with another service call scheduled. They have checked and replaced every possible connection, cable, remote, main box and wire they could think of including the connections from the pole outside my home and it still is not working. I have now been told that it is a software gliche from the latest upgrade and they are aware of it and are working to remedy the problem. As today is May 31st I am extremely frustrated that this is still not fixed. I am what I would classify as "computer challenged" and I know way more regarding refresh, restart, unplug, and all home maintenance regarding the Comcast system than I should. Maybe my next remedy will be to swing a dead chicken at a full moon at midnight while reciting an incantation because nothing else seems to work.  

Silver Problem Solver

@maynard1 wrote:

I have had the screen saver problem since March 20, 2018 and have had 10 or 12 discussions with Comcast. I also have had 4 service techs at my house and it happened again this morning with another service call scheduled. They have checked and replaced every possible connection, cable, remote, main box and wire they could think of including the connections from the pole outside my home and it still is not working. I have now been told that it is a software gliche from the latest upgrade and they are aware of it and are working to remedy the problem. As today is May 31st I am extremely frustrated that this is still not fixed. I am what I would classify as "computer challenged" and I know way more regarding refresh, restart, unplug, and all home maintenance regarding the Comcast system than I should. Maybe my next remedy will be to swing a dead chicken at a full moon at midnight while reciting an incantation because nothing else seems to work.  

If you set screen save to 5 hours, does it come on then or sooner than that?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

The screen saver is ON when the tv is first turned on in the morning and the remote (fully charged batteries) is "dead". Also all of my settings are correct according to Best Buy Geek Squad and 4 Comcast service techs. I have 5 tv's and it is random which ones work or have screen saver on them. There is not a consistent pattern for which tv is affected.

Official Employee

maynard1, I'd like to take a closer look at your screen saver issues. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Not the solution - you didn't read

New Poster

Thank you! I have my sanity back!!!!
Official Employee

Thank you! I have my sanity back!!!!

spoongirl, if you're seeing this issue with the screen saver coming on randomly, let me know and I'll help!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

How do you solve the problem of the screensaver coming on when you are watching live tv, when it's not supposed to? Have already gone to "devise settings" and set it for 5 hours. Does it anyway. Screen saver is usually on when first turning tv on in the morning. Goes away when you prress "exit" button but don't like to be pushing that button all the time. Expect the tv to stay on without that interruption.

Expert

@noelkirby wrote:

How do you solve the problem of the screensaver coming on when you are watching live tv, when it's not supposed to? Have already gone to "devise settings" and set it for 5 hours. Does it anyway. Screen saver is usually on when first turning tv on in the morning. Goes away when you prress "exit" button but don't like to be pushing that button all the time. Expect the tv to stay on without that interruption.

using the voice remote "device settings" then screen saver. set to 5 hours. be sure to not leave a menu on the screen for hours.

Regular Visitor

You are giving me a solution that I have already told you didn't work in my post. I'm confident you never even read it. You people have a flaw in your system that is very annoying. My wife is disabled and her tv goes to the screen saver when she is watching live tv, not a pattern. I never leave a still pattern on. Never! Stop giving silly robotic answers and come up with a solution !!!

Official Employee

noelkirby, let's take a look at the firmware on your box and replace it as necessary to fix this issue. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

New Poster

I am having the exact same issue on 2 of my tvs.

How can we address this and solve the problem.

Official Employee

juanovm, thanks for posting here! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your screensaver issues. I got your private message so I'll follow up there. 

Ken

New Poster

I googled this today because it keeps happening while I'm watching football.  The only solution I found was to hard reset the box by unplugging it, waiting a bit, plugging it in, and starting it back up again (after checking that no guide/menu/etc. was open).  I just waited because I didn't want to do that in the middle of the game. 

While I was flipping channels, a program reminder that I had previously set for the game I was watching flashed on the screen...as if it were "behind" the main screen, unable to be dismissed.  I then went to the screen for that team reminder and clicked "modify reminder" and clicked "confirm" without changing anything.  Then I went back to watching the game with no screensaver.

The root cause seems to be an issue with reminders.  A quick fix is to reconfirm one of your saved reminders. It'd be interesting to see if people without reminders also have this screensaver issue.  @ComcastKenF