Community Forum

Switching from Directv to Comcast

Regular Visitor

Switching from Directv to Comcast

We need to switch due to impending loss of signal trying to receive a signal through neighbor's trees. I have a TV in two adjacent bedrooms, the kitchen and a downstairs family room.  I have Comcast Internet service only to my home office adjacent to the family room. I use my own modem and Router. That's as far as Comcast cabling goes. For DTV, I use their Genie boxes in the bedrooms and the kitchen. The master is in the family room.

What equipment will I need at each location? I'll need to extend the Comcast cable from the office to the family room for that TV and the one in the kitchen. I'll have to look and see where I can pick up the feeds to the bedrooms. I'm just in the planning stage and any suggestions will be appreciated. I just want to try and get a clear picture of what I need. This will take some time. Any help/suggestions appreciated. All the TVs are HD. Should I be switching to X1

Thanks,

ctg

Official Employee

Re: Switching from Directv to Comcast

Because you use your own internet equipment, wherever you can’t get cable to you’d be limited to using a Roku and using the Xfinity stream app

If you rented a compatible Comcast gateway, and one room with cable for tv you could use a couple of wireless boxes

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

It might be nice to know more about the existing wiring. Are you saying that the bedrooms and kitchen are not wired with coax cable? 

The X1 equipment you need will be determined by who will be recording in the house, how much recording you plan to do, if you want 4K capability and if any of the X1 boxes need special connections. Not all X1 boxes have the same connections: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-Side-by-side-Xfinity-X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs/ta-p/2940...

As Andrew stated, Comcast does have wireless secondary X1 boxes but they require a specific Comcast gateway in order to work so your existing modem/router would need to be swapped out.  Also the wireless X1 boxes are known to have relatively short range. 

I might be in a minorty but I am not a big fan of wireless cable boxes or wireless satellite boxes. I believe in wired solutions whenever possible. There is no question wired solutions are more reliable and in my opinion they simply perform better. 

@controltestguy wrote:

We need to switch due to impending loss of signal trying to receive a signal through neighbor's trees. I have a TV in two adjacent bedrooms, the kitchen and a downstairs family room.  I have Comcast Internet service only to my home office adjacent to the family room. I use my own modem and Router. That's as far as Comcast cabling goes. For DTV, I use their Genie boxes in the bedrooms and the kitchen. The master is in the family room.

What equipment will I need at each location? I'll need to extend the Comcast cable from the office to the family room for that TV and the one in the kitchen. I'll have to look and see where I can pick up the feeds to the bedrooms. I'm just in the planning stage and any suggestions will be appreciated. I just want to try and get a clear picture of what I need. This will take some time. Any help/suggestions appreciated. All the TVs are HD. Should I be switching to X1

Thanks,

ctg

Regular Visitor

There's cable run to the bedrooms but it's been there for years. I helped DTV tech run the cables. I think my plan right now is to install a 3-way balanced splitter. One to the modem, one to the family room and one to the living room (cancel kitchen). For the bedrooms I'll use Rokus fo now.

The cable that Comcast ran a few years ago is labled Commscope. Is that still the current cable Comcast uses? Also, what's the best splitter model/manufacturer to use? I'm looking at the Extremes or the BAMF. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

ctg

Regular Visitor

New Equipment

Right now I have Directv. I also have the Performance Pro plan with Comcast. However, I don't use the TV portion. Just use it for internet service. However, DTV reception is breaking up due to the dish shooting through some maturing trees. I need to go to three places: My modem, the adjacent family room (through one wall) and the living room (through the ceiling). I need advice on the equipment. I'm looking at the Arris XG1v4 model # AX014ANM or (ANC) for the primary (family room). Not sure what goes in the living room? How would that work? Can I go with a 3-way balanced splitter?

Another issue I ran into is that my local Xfinity store will not install a new unit. They say I have to take refurbished boxes. Yet, when I get online in a 'chat' with Comcast, the person says they can send me a NIB (new in box) unit. Any advice here or suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

ctg

Official Employee

Re: New Equipment

This link describes the equipment. Most equipment isn’t new but new to you. An Extreme balanced 3 way is better, the signal will be relatively equal to all equipment. An XG1V4, XG2 and Xid and you’re set
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Let us know what other questions you have, controltestguy.