Community Forum

Switch over to X1, my story [MoCA issues]

Contributor

Switch over to X1, my story [MoCA issues]

So I've moved over to the X1 platform.  Here's my story.  I'm writing this largely out of frustration, but also hoping beyond hope that someone out there (either comcast of from the community) can reach out to me and offer me some nugget that will help me resolve current ongoing issues.

To start, I'm an IT professional (applications developer) and probably know a bit more about broadcast tech than many.  Not claiming to be an expert, but I'm a couple steps beyond your average user.

I moved to Comcast some time ago from Uverse after a gentlemen came to the house and offered me a package that would save me about $50 a month for similar services.  I got two DVRs (old silver boxes) and one small adapter to handle the laundry room tube TV (yes, we still have one).  The silver boxes over the course of time had to be replaced no less than half a dozen times, so I'm no stranger to Comcast techs & the 800 number.  I guess the good thing there is I can navigate the automated call system like a champ.   Each time a box needed to be replaced, they always offered the option to swap it at their location in New Haven.  Anyone who has ever been to this location knows why I opted against this, the lines are worse than the DMV in some cases.  My suggestion on improving the process here would  be to have two lines - one for people who are paying their bills to avoid having service shut off, and a second line for people who are exchanging or returning equipment.    The box in question was replaced ~3 weeks ago after having what would seem to be hard drive problems (noise and massive lag/pixelation).

Fast forward to last Friday.  I went to watch my DVR recording of the Amazing Race.  When I went to play it, it played, but without sound.  No problem, I think, it should be available on demand.  And low and behold, it is.  So I start playing it.  About half an hour in, I need to pause it to handle some stuff in the house.  Come back, and attempt to resume and it's error message on top of error message, ending with the on demand overlay being played without any actual menu choices available.  So I reboot the box.  On demand wasn't available 5 minutes after it restarted, so I went into the info pages (using tips here on the forum) to see what the status was.  Eventually it kicked in, and on demand started working.   So I tried to resume The Amazing Race and unfortunately it started over from the beginning, essentially forcing me to sit through 30 minutes of programming I just watched, for the privellege of being able to watch an entire hours worth of programming.  This is a fail.  And I don't care whose end it's on (Comcast or external), it's a fail.  If they want to make you watch the commercials, then make the commercials not fast-forwardable.  Anyway I digress.

So next day I call Comcast to report the issues and to ask (AGAIN!) if the X1 platform is available in my neighborhood.  After being on hold for awhile, the agent determined it was available.  Scheduled install appointment for this past Monday.  Given the issues I was having with the service prior, she waives the $50 installation fee.  I appreciated this gesture.

Monday comes, dude shows up, spends the better part of two hours tweaking levels and adjusting fittings to ensure everything is cool.  He was professional, and on the outset the install appeared to have gone well.  Later Monday evening, when I went to watch a DVR recording on my non-DVR box, it told me that the DVR recordings were unavailable.   So I did some reading on this forum, found the info pages on these boxes, and verified that Multicast over Coax (MoCA) is enabled but not active.  So I pretty much know the problem, off to talk to a level 1 tech.  Call them up, and re-do all the things I'd tried (rebooting boxes, crossing fingers).  Oh and as a side note here ... on my Pandora app, there is a phantom user, a name that doesnt correspond to anyone in our home.  I'm wondering if this box may have previously been provisioned?  Idk.  But in any case, it doesn't work.  They indicate that they need to get a level 2 tech to call me to resolve the issue, sometime in the next 48-72 hours.  In the interim one of the other problems I was having (with apps) was resolved on its own (likely due to provisioining delays) so I called back to indicate this, and they tried again to troubleshoot the DVR issue.  To no avail.

Level 2 tech calls yesterday, and after some discussion puts me on hold.  For a very long time.  Eventually, it goes back to what I then found out was the main line (level 1 support).  WTH!?  So I tried very hard to be nice on the phone, but by this point I was fuming.  Not at the agent on the phone, but at the way the previous agent handled the call.  Makes no sense.

She goes through as much as she can, but surprise!  She lacks the tools/etc to fix the problem.  So she went through some stuff and eventually ended up setting up a service appointment for a tech to come to the house next Monday.  (They did have weekend availability, but nothing that fit my schedule).  Kudos to them for giving me a 1 hour window tho.

At the end of the day, having a cool service is only good if it works.  While each individual customer service agent I spoke with tried to be as helpful as possible, and I don't fault any of them (except maybe the guy from level 2 who transferred me back to level 1), as a whole, noone could help me to resolve my issue.  In truth, I didn't spend enough time talking with level 2 tech to even get a handle on whether the problem could be solved without involving someone coming to t he house.

So this story will continue.  Oh, and I did look for the requisite filter, and there is in fact a filter outside just before my splitter.   

Initial thoughts on X1:

• HUGE drawback coming from uverse is that live TV cannot be paused on non-DVR boxes.  I understand that rollouts are an iterative process, but this should be available with the kick-but gear that they've provided.  This seems like a software/implementation issue (i.e. this SHOULD be possible with existing hardware).  (this is all irreleveant to me as I my extra box cannot currently communicate with my DVR)  I'm not sure what I would have done in this regard if I had known this lttle tidbit of info prior to signing up.  Might have gotten a second DVR box...
  • The guide (new guide here) is buttery and smooth.  It's worlds better than the previous guide and even better than uverse.
  • The droid application is pretty cool as well.  
  • While I'm still learning the navigation, it would seem that there is some room for improvement when looking @ current program info - it needs to be easier to determine what other episodes of the current program are available on demand; it seems you have to drill down by season and look for the XOD indicator.  I admit I haven't played with this much, and this may be user error but intuitively it doesn't seem to be there.
  • Not having internet apps (Pandora, etc) available on the non-DVR box is also a fail.   This again seems like a problem that could have been solved.
  • Picture quality is generally excellent.  Having the boxes output 1080p seems to have made a difference as well (setup tech set my DVR to 1080p, I changed the other from 1080i to 1080p).  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers-

-Blu

Regular Visitor

Re: Switch over to X1, my story [MoCA issues]

My story is almost exactly identical to yours, except I upgraded from regular Comcast, not Uverse.

I have had the initial install + 2 service calls. At the end of each, the MoCA was working. I could go to the MoCA diagnotics page and see the connections and speeds. I could watch any show from any box as advertised. By the next morning, it reverts back to no MoCA (enabled, no link). I am at my wits end.

I was told yesterday afternoon by a second level tech, (called back within 2 hours instead of 48 hours) that the installers failed to inject / configure each of the 4 boxes I have. One DVR, 3 remote. He said he could not do that remotely, and I could not do it locally myself. He said he wrote very specific instructions into the trouble ticket for the service call, scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. It seems this service is so new in our area, that no one is really certain how it all hangs together.

I did notice, that when MoCA was working the diagnostics on the DVR box had an IP address, which makes me wonder if there is a relationship with the XB3 modem box we have for Internet and Voice. Since it is inside the filter, I wonder if it may need some MoCA configuration to play nicely with the DVR. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Contributor

How did you verify " that Multicast over Coax (MoCA) is enabled but not active"?

Regular Visitor

From the MoCA diagnostic screen on the DVR box

It has two fields:

MoCA Network Status : Enabled

MoCA Link Status : No link

the next page has nothing at all

Official Employee

Bluphant, if you can, describe your configuration of cable, splitters, if there's an amp etc.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Exactly right.  To bring up the info pages, on the remote:

• Hold exit button for a 5 count (roughly 5 seconds) & release
  • Press down arrow twice
  • Press number 2.  

Takes a second or two, but this brings up diagnostic pages.  The last page is MoCA.

-Blu

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew - just saw your post.    

Without drawing a picture, I'll try and describe the best way I can.  All cabling is good quality RG56 cable.  I believe that over time all of the ends were replaced with compression fittings installed by Comcast techs.

• From the outdoor line, goes to filter (presumably the MoCA filter), then to a two-way splitter (A &  The two-way splitter is grounded to my electrical grounding rod.
  • A line goes to another splitter in the basement (C & D)  
  • B line goes to an amplified splitter (just installed w/ X1) (E & F)
  • C goes to CRT tv
  • D goes to DVR
  • E goes to cablemodem
  • F goes to client (non DVR) box. 

The only other bit is that the F line does have a barrel (female/female) connector inline in walk-up attic.  The tech reviewed all of this during install and replaced the barrel.

I'm more than willing to try any recommendations you have when I'm home this evening.  Thanks for taking the time to followup.

-Blu

Official Employee

If I read it right, your DVR is before the amp and the terminal is after it. If that's the case that's probably why it's not working. They should be on the same side of the amp. If you bypass the amp what happens? Also what kind of amp?

No worries!!
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew - this is true.  The DVR is before the amp and the client after.  I'll bypass the amp this evening and see what happens.     I dont know the make/model of the amp, but it has a dozen or more female connectors on it, grey in color, and gets power from a wall wart attached to a piece of coax.  Hopefully that gets you some idea.  

The levels (SNR/etc) were ___VERY___ close to what the tech considered spec, but were slightly off which is why he threw the amplifier into the mix.  

I think even if this solution works, I'll keep my Monday appointment so that the tech can verify that everything is cool.

-Blu

Contributor

BluPhant wrote:

@ComcastAndrew - this is true.  The DVR is before the amp and the client after.  I'll bypass the amp this evening and see what happens.     I dont know the make/model of the amp, but it has a dozen or more female connectors on it, grey in color, and gets power from a wall wart attached to a piece of coax.  Hopefully that gets you some idea.  

The levels (SNR/etc) were ___VERY___ close to what the tech considered spec, but were slightly off which is why he threw the amplifier into the mix.  

I think even if this solution works, I'll keep my Monday appointment so that the tech can verify that everything is cool.

-Blu

Seems like a 4 way amplified splitter would be the way to go. 

Official Employee

I'm going to guess the amp may not be a no loss amp, only because the upstream on all your equipment is right at (51) which is as high as you want your modem and boxes to be.

Downstream received should be between 8 and -8
Downstream SNR should be over 35
Upstream Power should be between 35 and 51

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew - ACK, will do this tonight and report back.  Thanks.

-Blu

Regular Visitor

In my case, the MoCA filter is at the outside entrance, splits to 2. One goes direct to xb3 modem, the other to a newly installed 8 way digital amplifier. The amplifier's outputs go direct to each box from there. All signal levels at all the boxes appear to be in spec. The installer also did a "noise" analysis and determined there is virtually no noise from at the amplifier at this point.

Is there a relationship between the MoCA settings on the XB3 modem and the DVR / TV boxes?

MoCA is enabled on the XB3

Gold Problem Solver

Andrew is right. I would do what ever you need to do in order to get rid of the first two way splitter. If you can't, the amp should moved so it is AFTER the POE filter but BEFORE any and all splitters.

It sure would be nice to know what amp you are using.

BluPhant wrote:

@ComcastAndrew - just saw your post.    

Without drawing a picture, I'll try and describe the best way I can.  All cabling is good quality RG56 cable.  I believe that over time all of the ends were replaced with compression fittings installed by Comcast techs.

• From the outdoor line, goes to filter (presumably the MoCA filter), then to a two-way splitter (A &  The two-way splitter is grounded to my electrical grounding rod.
  • A line goes to another splitter in the basement (C & D)  
  • B line goes to an amplified splitter (just installed w/ X1) (E & F)
  • C goes to CRT tv
  • D goes to DVR
  • E goes to cablemodem
  • F goes to client (non DVR) box. 

The only other bit is that the F line does have a barrel (female/female) connector inline in walk-up attic.  The tech reviewed all of this during install and replaced the barrel.

I'm more than willing to try any recommendations you have when I'm home this evening.  Thanks for taking the time to followup.

-Blu

Contributor

@RickGr4 - While I can certainly try this, as a permanant solution moving the amplifier to some other place should, in my estimation, be a task performed by a Comcast tech, not by me.  I have just enough knowledge and/or experience to be potentially dangerous. Smiley Happy

So to remove the oudoor splitter and replace with the amp, I would need to drill a hole in the wall to the outdoors to run power to it and presumably mount it outside.  I'm not even certain if this is an acceptable solution (having powered amp outdoors).  

I'll get amp model info & what ports stuff is plugged into currently when I'm home later this evening.

So for tonight:

• Get model # and specs for amp
  • Verify levels as indicated by @ComcastAndrew on both boxes.
  • Temporarily replace amplified splitter with either a barrel connector or a non-amplified splitter
  • Re-verify levels and MoCA status.
  • Based on findings, consider relocating amplifier.

If any of this needs tweaking lmk.

-Blu

Gold Problem Solver

The amp is low voltage so it is safe. However if it's outside it should in a box. You would not want it exposed to direct moisture. My amp is in an unheated garage and it works just dandy.

BluPhant wrote:

@RickGr4 - While I can certainly try this, as a permanant solution moving the amplifier to some other place should, in my estimation, be a task performed by a Comcast tech, not by me.  I have just enough knowledge and/or experience to be potentially dangerous. Smiley Happy

So to remove the oudoor splitter and replace with the amp, I would need to drill a hole in the wall to the outdoors to run power to it and presumably mount it outside.  I'm not even certain if this is an acceptable solution (having powered amp outdoors).  

I'll get amp model info & what ports stuff is plugged into currently when I'm home later this evening.

So for tonight:

• Get model # and specs for amp
  • Verify levels as indicated by @ComcastAndrew on both boxes.
  • Temporarily replace amplified splitter with either a barrel connector or a non-amplified splitter
  • Re-verify levels and MoCA status.
  • Based on findings, consider relocating amplifier.

If any of this needs tweaking lmk.

-Blu

Contributor

So I had an opportunity to mess with this a bit last night. First, I took shots of system info page 5 on both boxes. Also took a shot of the amplifier so I could remember where cables were initially. Again, the amplifier is connected to two things - my cable modem and the "client" box. I replaced the amplifier with a 2-way splitter I had lying around (I believe each indicated -3dB on it). At first, I just connected the client box. MoCA was almost instantly available & I verified that DVR recordings worked properly. I did not get a screenshot of levels at this point.

Then I almost posted a hazzah post here, when I realized I couldn't. Because my cablemodem was not yet connected to the splitter. So I connected it. And the US/DS light just kept blinking for 10+ minutes. Connected line directly to cablemodem and verified that it could get a signal. It locked on almost instantly. I then put the amplifier back into the mix, but swapped positions of the out cables (details below).

Commscope CSAPDU9VP HomeConnect Subscriber Amplifier
Initial configuration:

• Client cable box plugged into OUT 5
  • Cablemodem plugged into -4dB VoIP Out

Updated configuration

• Cablemodem plugged into OUT 5
  • Client cable box plugged into -4dB VoIP Out

Everything worked, and I decided to call it a night. This morning, I took screenshots of the after levels, and it appears that although everything is working, I'm "out of spec".  My intention is to keep things how it is now, keep my Monday service appointment, and have someone look at this.

DVR Box
Downsream Received Before: 6.8 dBmV
Downsream Received After: 6.6 dBmV

SNR Before: 37.3 dB
SNR After: 37.3 dB

Upstream Power Before: 50.0 dBmV
Upstream Power After: 50.0 dBmV

Client Box
Downsream Received Before: 7.3 dBmV
Downsream Received After: 3.2 dBmV

SNR Before: 40.8 dB
SNR After: 40.3 dB

Upstream Power Before: 49.2 dBmV
Upstream Power After: 52.7 dBmV

Beyond this issue:

• It's still very odd to me that I have a phantom user on my Pandora "who is signing in" page.  I'd like this to be addressed at some point.
  • Voicemail application does not work (tells me I should subscibe to phone service, which I do.)
  • Not having an input selection button on the remote is another significant fail in my house.  This is so basic that it boggles the mind not having it.  The only reason I could think of to remove it would be to make it easier on the call center for the 85yr old grandma who accidentally pushed it.  But in this case, more tech savvy people are being reduced to the lowest common denomonator, essentialy to prevent call center calls.  I could be off base on this, but whatever the reason, the lack of this button is almost as annoying as not being able to pause live TV on the client box.
  • There are aspects of the "new" guide (which is the only one I know) that are counterintuitive.  The amount of clicks required to do basic stuff is not well thought out.  Some thought should be given to the end-user experience, it would seem that whomever is in charge of this missed the mark by miles.  The tech behind these boxes is insanely cool, the implemtnation in many cases is materially flawed.  And I'm just starting to discover what I do and don't like here....... 

Tnx-

-Blu

Gold Problem Solver

I know the PPC amps better than the Commscope but I am fairly sure you have one of the correct amps. I would have guessed your "original configuration" would have worked better.

If you feel adventurous and you have the time, connect everything to the standard outputs and forget about the -4db VoIP output. I would be curious to know the results.

Your numbers look a tidbit hot but I don't see a problem there. They can always be attenuated...

BluPhant wrote:

So I had an opportunity to mess with this a bit last night. First, I took shots of system info page 5 on both boxes. Also took a shot of the amplifier so I could remember where cables were initially. Again, the amplifier is connected to two things - my cable modem and the "client" box. I replaced the amplifier with a 2-way splitter I had lying around (I believe each indicated -3dB on it). At first, I just connected the client box. MoCA was almost instantly available & I verified that DVR recordings worked properly. I did not get a screenshot of levels at this point.

Then I almost posted a hazzah post here, when I realized I couldn't. Because my cablemodem was not yet connected to the splitter. So I connected it. And the US/DS light just kept blinking for 10+ minutes. Connected line directly to cablemodem and verified that it could get a signal. It locked on almost instantly. I then put the amplifier back into the mix, but swapped positions of the out cables (details below).

Commscope CSAPDU9VP HomeConnect Subscriber Amplifier
Initial configuration:

• Client cable box plugged into OUT 5
  • Cablemodem plugged into -4dB VoIP Out

Updated configuration

• Cablemodem plugged into OUT 5
  • Client cable box plugged into -4dB VoIP Out

Everything worked, and I decided to call it a night. This morning, I took screenshots of the after levels, and it appears that although everything is working, I'm "out of spec".  My intention is to keep things how it is now, keep my Monday service appointment, and have someone look at this.

DVR Box
Downsream Received Before: 6.8 dBmV
Downsream Received After: 6.6 dBmV

SNR Before: 37.3 dB
SNR After: 37.3 dB

Upstream Power Before: 50.0 dBmV
Upstream Power After: 50.0 dBmV

Client Box
Downsream Received Before: 7.3 dBmV
Downsream Received After: 3.2 dBmV

SNR Before: 40.8 dB
SNR After: 40.3 dB

Upstream Power Before: 49.2 dBmV
Upstream Power After: 52.7 dBmV

Beyond this issue:

• It's still very odd to me that I have a phantom user on my Pandora "who is signing in" page.  I'd like this to be addressed at some point.
  • Voicemail application does not work (tells me I should subscibe to phone service, which I do.)
  • Not having an input selection button on the remote is another significant fail in my house.  This is so basic that it boggles the mind not having it.  The only reason I could think of to remove it would be to make it easier on the call center for the 85yr old grandma who accidentally pushed it.  But in this case, more tech savvy people are being reduced to the lowest common denomonator, essentialy to prevent call center calls.  I could be off base on this, but whatever the reason, the lack of this button is almost as annoying as not being able to pause live TV on the client box.
  • There are aspects of the "new" guide (which is the only one I know) that are counterintuitive.  The amount of clicks required to do basic stuff is not well thought out.  Some thought should be given to the end-user experience, it would seem that whomever is in charge of this missed the mark by miles.  The tech behind these boxes is insanely cool, the implemtnation in many cases is materially flawed.  And I'm just starting to discover what I do and don't like here....... 

Tnx-

-Blu

Official Employee

For the terminal it was at 52 because you're losing downstream/ gaining upstream on that port
When your tech comes out ask for the amp that's in the pic, I use those out in the field with no problems.
Pandora- I would check with tech that it's still not associated with someone else's account or you could do a factory reset on it ( but that will wipe away any recordings)
Lack of live tv pause etc on terminals workaround- record what you are watching and watch through the recording

image.jpg
New Poster

so my question is, should i stay with my 2 DVR (silver boxes) and 1 digital box for on-demand use or is it worth my effort to switch over to the X! platform? I have a Samsung Smart TV now. Are there any benefits with going to the X1 platform? sounds like difficulty follows the X1 platform. 

Official Employee

If you have 2 silver (antique) DVRs, together they have half the hard drive space. It's worth it. I've had it for 2 yrs and I have the same equipment since I got it. Unfortunately on here you don't hear the good side only the bad.

Contributor

Thanks all.  @ComcastAndrew - do you have access to service now?  If so, could you throw some of the notes from this thread into the ticket?  

I'm going to leave well enough alone for now, and let the qualified technicians do their job on Monday.  

Cheers-

-Blu

Gold Problem Solver

X1 is fine once you get your signal levels right (which can be easier said than done). Also X1 has a different emphasis on features so you will gain something you didn't have before but you will lose a few things as well.

When working right X1 is fairly cool...

wreck0n95 wrote:

so my question is, should i stay with my 2 DVR (silver boxes) and 1 digital box for on-demand use or is it worth my effort to switch over to the X! platform? I have a Samsung Smart TV now. Are there any benefits with going to the X1 platform? sounds like difficulty follows the X1 platform. 

Gold Problem Solver

My only concern anbout the Commscope amp that Blu has is it doesn't say "active return". However I think the fact that it says "UNITY FWD/REV is the critical aspect...

ComcastAndrew wrote:
For the terminal it was at 52 because you're losing downstream/ gaining upstream on that port
When your tech comes out ask for the amp that's in the pic, I use those out in the field with no problems.
Pandora- I would check with tech that it's still not associated with someone else's account or you could do a factory reset on it ( but that will wipe away any recordings)
Lack of live tv pause etc on terminals workaround- record what you are watching and watch through the recording

Contributor

Just as a side note here, I hope it doesn't appear that I'm bashing the X1 service.  As a whole, I think it is worlds better than what we had previously.   Having dealt with AT&T uverse setup in the past, I understand that there are occasions when setup becomes an issue.  The difference between uverse and X1 is that each X1 cable box contains its own DOCIS 3.x modem.  For uverse, they allowed cat5 (ethernet) cables within the house, which is completely different tech from MoCA.  

Beyond the initial setup, my primary complaint is that the client cable box cannot pause live tv.  I understand that hitting record is a workaround, but it would seem that if you *CAN* do something via keystrokes on a remote, it should be able to do the exact same thing if I just hit pause.  Even if it was not implemented as streaming through the main DVR box, when you hit pause on a live program, it could send a record signal to the main box, pause to wait for it to start, then launch the DVR version of it without further intervention.  Not a proper implementation as you likely couldnt rewind to the start of the program, but it would make things "more easier".  

Also, as I said before, the guide implementation could be improved a lot.  One of my guilty pleasures is The Price Is Right.  We have two small kids, so having a show available that is family friendly and that I enjoy is key.  When I went to setup a series recording (record new episodes, keep last two) via search it picked two seperate channels.  I'm just outside what Nielsen considers the "New York Metro" market, so I do not have HD NY locals, instead I have Hartford locals.  But for some reason WCBS-TV (NY) is available in SD.  By searching for "The Price is Right" and setting up the recording, it records on BOTH channels daily. 

After doing some reading, I found that by recording from an INSTANCE of the program on the guide, rather than doing a search, the program can be constrained to a specific channel.  So I've fixed this, but again, this is a simple example of a non-intuitive user experience (and thats as kind as I can be on that one).  

There are other little things, but this message has already gotten too long.  My hope is that maybe constructive criticism coming from tech-savvy end users might actually help to make a better experience for everyone.

-Blu

Contributor

I switched back to the older version of the guide. It is more gooder than the new one. Objectively speaking I don't know how ANYONE would prefer the new one. I hope the day doesn't come when this is forced on us.

Blu
Gold Problem Solver

I prefer the new guide better not because of how it looks but how it navigates from the remote. It is more intuitive. I am not alone. It would seem as people give the new guide a chance (and take the time to learn it's nuances) they come to like it.

Enjoy the old guide while you can. I am surprised you were able to access it because the permanent migration to the new guide has already begun. You being pushed to the new guide could literally happen any second.

BluPhant wrote:
I switched back to the older version of the guide. It is more gooder than the new one. Objectively speaking I don't know how ANYONE would prefer the new one. I hope the day doesn't come when this is forced on us.

Blu

Contributor

@RickGr4 - It would be interesting for the guide to actually compare the two versions from a user experience standpoint... for example, if I want to turn on closed captioning, how easy is that to accomplish?  While they're allowing me to I may switch back and forth between the two to do a more analytical comparison.  Idk.  At the end of the day, I get that there's a good deal of GUI polish on the new guide, but for whatever reason, I still prefer the old.

Oh, and I did find some posts elsewhere - the old silver remotes (for DVR boxes) can be reprogrammed to work with the X1 equipment, at least in my case.  This gives me a simple option to keep my input select button.   The exit button currently doesnt function; I'm certain with a little effort this could almost certainly be reprogrammed.

Tech comes tomorrow morning to clear up my issues hopefully.  The "Phantom" account I referenced earlier also showed up on the old guide w/ twitter share (I didn't actually share but was curious what it would do).  So it's baked in at a lower level & doesnt just apply to the Pandora app, which confirms what I'd figured.

-Blu

Official Employee

Re- closed captioning, press the down arrow 2x when you're watching a show

Contributor

Tech came today and verified levels and essentially replaced the powered amplifier with a splitter and all seems to be well.  Cablemodem working nice-nice, and MoCA connected almost instantly with transmission rates of 241/253.  I have yet to verify signal levels myself on the client box, but he reported everything in the green.  

Further tech looked into the "phantom user" in my account as well as voicemail app not working (the box doesnt seem to know I have home phone service).  He spoke with tech support and they recommended swapping out the DVR box.  This didn't solve anything (same user still on my account, onscreen caller ID & voicemail app not working) and introduced a new problem... I have a Sony 2.1 amplifier connected to my tv via optical fiber.  Basically just sends whatever is on the TV via optical digital to the amp.  The audio component stopped working (worked on the TV, but not on my amp).  Other sources worked fine, just not the new (Samsung) DVR box.

Since this box did not solve anything & introduced a new problem, he ended up swapping box back to my original one.  As an added bonus, I still have my last weeks worth of DVR recordings.

The ticket remains open and I'm now expecting a call from a Comcast Tech (Larry?) from Tier 2 to help resolve this.

What an ordeal.  I'm working from home today, hoping the tech will call today.  This seems like a problem that needs to be resolved outside my house.  Honestly the voicemail app would be fun to have, but missing the onscreen caller ID is a fail for me.  I really like that feature and have gotten used to it w/ the old Cisco boxes.

Will report back when I know more.  

-Blu

Contributor

So, no response from anyone to this point three issues still exist:

• Phantom user "Alicia" still showing up on all apps requiring logon (facebook, instagram, etc)
  • Voicemail app does not work at all
  • Caller ID on TV does not work.  Not having this is really annoying to me as this worked perfectly on the older Cisco boxes & my family is used to having this feature (oh, and I'm paying for it).

Called 800-COMCAST this morning and spoke for about half an hour to a rep who reviewed the account, and found some issues on the backend.  Forwarded on to Tier 2.  No idea if I'll hear back or if they can fix without further intervention on my behalf.  The rep said that it should be resolved within 72 hours (same thing the tech on Monday told me).   This time I'm certain a new ticket was entered by the rep.

For any Comcast folks reading this - I want to love this service.  Truly.  While the bulk of the initial install issues have been resolved, my service is still not working as advertised.  Consumers shouldn't have to devote this much energy to getting the services we're paying for working properly.  I'm disappointed, although (sadly) not terribly surprised that everything is still not correct.  

I've switched back to the "New" guide, as I know it will be inevitable and I want my family to get used to that which will be forced on us.

One recommendation for an enhancement going forward:  If you have parental controls unlocked and use the channel up-down buttons to navigate to a show that would be blocked, the pin prompt comes up, blocking the ability to continue to use the channel up/down buttons until you put a pin in (or possibly press exit).  This could likely be fixed with a simple UI tweak which would allow the use of these buttons prior to pin entry.

Hopefully my next update will indicate that everything is working.  If anyone has any advice or recommendations for me, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Blu

Official Employee

If you don't hear back from tier 2 try 1-877-896-8678 (x1 help line)

Gold Problem Solver

Blu,

Considering the problems you have had with your install and getting service, I commend you for generally remaining positive and not complaining as many others do when they join this forum. You have stated your issues and asked for help. You have offered suggestions along the way. We could use more new members who approach this forum in the manner you have.

Earlier this week a forum member (wish I could remember who so I could pass along the proper credit) posted a phone number to Comcast Executive Relations. It sounds like people who call this number (you may need to leave a message) are getting the help they need. Try 888-966-7794.

BluPhant wrote:

So, no response from anyone to this point three issues still exist:

• Phantom user "Alicia" still showing up on all apps requiring logon (facebook, instagram, etc)
  • Voicemail app does not work at all
  • Caller ID on TV does not work.  Not having this is really annoying to me as this worked perfectly on the older Cisco boxes & my family is used to having this feature (oh, and I'm paying for it).

Called 800-COMCAST this morning and spoke for about half an hour to a rep who reviewed the account, and found some issues on the backend.  Forwarded on to Tier 2.  No idea if I'll hear back or if they can fix without further intervention on my behalf.  The rep said that it should be resolved within 72 hours (same thing the tech on Monday told me).   This time I'm certain a new ticket was entered by the rep.

For any Comcast folks reading this - I want to love this service.  Truly.  While the bulk of the initial install issues have been resolved, my service is still not working as advertised.  Consumers shouldn't have to devote this much energy to getting the services we're paying for working properly.  I'm disappointed, although (sadly) not terribly surprised that everything is still not correct.  

I've switched back to the "New" guide, as I know it will be inevitable and I want my family to get used to that which will be forced on us.

One recommendation for an enhancement going forward:  If you have parental controls unlocked and use the channel up-down buttons to navigate to a show that would be blocked, the pin prompt comes up, blocking the ability to continue to use the channel up/down buttons until you put a pin in (or possibly press exit).  This could likely be fixed with a simple UI tweak which would allow the use of these buttons prior to pin entry.

Hopefully my next update will indicate that everything is working.  If anyone has any advice or recommendations for me, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Blu

Contributor

@RickGr4 - Thanks for the nice reply.  So I got an email late last week telling me to pull the power on both of my boxes and then reconnect after a few minutes.  After I did this:

• Alicia has left the building.  My phantom user has disappeared.
  • Voicemail app started working.

While they indicated that caller ID on TV would be resolved as well, it was not.  Got an email message indicating a special 800 number to call in the case of caller ID not working.  I wish someone had directed to me to this number earlier on - "If you are experiencing problems with your caller ID service press 1 now".  Spoke with someone and within a few hours everything is now working.

I'm still getting used to the service, and its little "quirks".  My accidental discovery of the page up-page down buttons while watching on demand is a pretty cool.  To me tho this is one more example where yanking a bunch of buttons off the remote leaves it in a state where it's not... intuitive.  

I'm very much looking forward to the eventual cloud update thats not yet available in my market.  Again, it really seems like my remaining issues with the system can be resolved in software.

-Blu

New Poster

I am 100 percent with you and since my Plasma is over a decade old, I do not have HDMI so he hooked my old box back up and I had to call in and get them to turn my movies back on. I like the service but like you when I see that there could possibly be another person using MoCa and I am not. Funny thing is that when I log into my outlook for email, first my gmail account goes and says the pasword has been changed, then a hour later it says I need to change the password to my outlook account. Well that is very disturbing:

Outlook cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct. What is worked the whole time.

Thats why I am in school for IT because I just do not trust the systems that we are all using. Everyone can open a mic line or read all my email with a click of a button and are there ethics in the bsuiness world out there. I know I try. But with this technology the way its changing I have to change with it.Learn and understand everything. So Kudos to us for learning. Im in IT as well and I am tryign my best.