Community Forum

Suddenly I have Audio sync issues

Contributor

Re: Suddenly I have Audio sync issues

Good to here. Again, when mine goes out of sync on occasions, this works for me.
New Poster

I had a similar issue on two Samsung TVs.
Technician came over and solved in 10 seconds.

On the Xfinity box, go to device settings. Audio.
Change from Auto (Dolby 5+1) to Stereo.

That did the trick for me.
Contributor

Hdmi output was already on stereo but optical output was not so I switched it and now will see how it works.
Happy Holidays.
New Poster

Hey guys, I was having the same issue. I only have the xfinity flex box,  during first setup, i remeber it asked about audio, and i selected "dolby 5.1". Some channels/ movies are close to proper sync while others are way off. So I went back to setting on the xfinity flex box under audio and selected "standard". Immediately I checked the movie I was watching while doing the settings, and it immediately is now in proper sync. Haven't had any out of sync issues since. Thats just my fix, you guys situation, audio setup etc might  be different .

Frequent Visitor

@Oigarv013 wrote:

Hey guys, I was having the same issue. I only have the xfinity flex box,  during first setup, i remeber it asked about audio, and i selected "dolby 5.1". Some channels/ movies are close to proper sync while others are way off. So I went back to setting on the xfinity flex box under audio and selected "standard". Immediately I checked the movie I was watching while doing the settings, and it immediately is now in proper sync. Haven't had any out of sync issues since. Thats just my fix, you guys situation, audio setup etc might  be different .

De-selecting Dolby 5.1 did take care of the issue, for the most part. Most program sources are in proper lip sync. However, there are three of my local broadcast channels, WDIV, WMYD and WKBD, that are always out of sync, viewed on X1. They (and their subchannels) are in perfect sync wnen viewing off-air with antenna, so it appears that Comcast's processing and re-encoding these particular signals is at fault. Audio lags video by a couple of frames or more. My TV has a "lip sync" adjust, but that only adds more delay to audio.

Contributor

Switching inputs on X1 controller brings it back into sync for me. Have to do it every so often but only takes a few seconds.
Frequent Visitor

@Bob712 wrote:
Switching inputs on X1 controller brings it back into sync for me. Have to do it every so often but only takes a few seconds.

This took care of the "global" sync issue. I still have three local broadcast stations that are perpetually out of sync while all other sources are correct. A head-end technical issue.

Expert

@chuckreti wrote:

@Oigarv013 wrote:

De-selecting Dolby 5.1 did take care of the issue, for the most part. Most program sources are in proper lip sync. However, there are three of my local broadcast channels, WDIV, WMYD and WKBD, that are always out of sync, viewed on X1. They (and their subchannels) are in perfect sync wnen viewing off-air with antenna, so it appears that Comcast's processing and re-encoding these particular signals is at fault. Audio lags video by a couple of frames or more. My TV has a "lip sync" adjust, but that only adds more delay to audio.

The 'sink' (TV) has ajustments per HDMI connected device in the TV's auido setup lip-sync. set that while watching a major network like cnn/fox news/msnbc to get best lip sync. there is no difference when processing/transcoding etc made to audio sync as it is just another stream (like captions) and has one major and one 0.7 second backup sync signals contantly keeping it in sync with the video. again the TV has the only adjustment for moving the audio to match.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Sounds like antenna for those stations is the way to go for now.
Frequent Visitor

@Bob712 wrote:
Sounds like antenna for those stations is the way to go for now.

Fortunately I am in a good signal area, and have been using the over the air signals for those stations for many years. Until I got the service plan with the X1, I was only getting the Standard Def feed from Xfinity, so all HD programing I watched came over air via the antenna. Also, most of the new diginet subchannels that are carried by the broadcast stations (Cozi, Charge, GETtv, Retro, Decades, to name a few) are not available on Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

The 'sink' (TV) has ajustments per HDMI connected device in the TV's auido setup lip-sync. set that while watching a major network like cnn/fox news/msnbc to get best lip sync. there is no difference when processing/transcoding etc made to audio sync as it is just another stream (like captions) and has one major and one 0.7 second backup sync signals contantly keeping it in sync with the video. again the TV has the only adjustment for moving the audio to match.

I know how all that works. I don't need to make any sync adjustment on the TV when receiving the stations mentioned off-air via antenna, nor with (HDMI) Blu-ray player. And as I mentioned, when watching with the X1 (HDMI) the TV's sync adjustment only provides further degree of audio delay, not what it needs. The problem with some Xfinity sources, only certain local broadcast channels, is that,  as it leaves the output connector, their audio is already delayed by an annoying number of frames. I have connected the X1 box to other HDMI equipped sets and see the same result. (lip sync off on same channels). A friend, also on Xfinity, observes the same thing on his system, asking me why some of the stations (including one I work at, BTW) always looks out of sync.

Expert

@chuckreti wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I know how all that works. I don't need to make any sync adjustment on the TV when receiving the stations mentioned off-air via antenna, nor with (HDMI) Blu-ray player. And as I mentioned, when watching with the X1 (HDMI) the TV's sync adjustment only provides further degree of audio delay, not what it needs. The problem with some Xfinity sources, only certain local broadcast channels, is that,  as it leaves the output connector, their audio is already delayed by an annoying number of frames. I have connected the X1 box to other HDMI equipped sets and see the same result. (lip sync off on same channels). A friend, also on Xfinity, observes the same thing on his system, asking me why some of the stations (including one I work at, BTW) always looks out of sync.

sync on each device you named is separate from the HDMI connected device you are using. each setting is kept by the TV separately. audio is attached as a stream to the video by the producer of the programming. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

My TV will have audio sync problems if I use its native apps and then switch back to the X1, which I blame on the X1 never turning it's HDMI output off leaving something buffered when you go back to it.   Switching the TV input to my blu-ray player and back will clear it up, though.

Contributor

Hi Rusty,
I know we have discussed this before. My old Panny Plasma has no lip sync and is fully updated software wise. I’ve found that switching inputs works for me when it occasionally goes out of sync.
Contributor

Yep, that’s works for me.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

sync on each device you named is separate from the HDMI connected device you are using. each setting is kept by the TV separately. audio is attached as a stream to the video by the producer of the programming. 

Yes, once again, I know all that. That's not the problem. There are single, individual channels that have sync issues, not the output of X1 box overall.

Today, one of the problematic feeds, WDIV (NBC Detroit), looks correct for a change.

Will just have to tolerate the others and hope someone at Comcast figures to monitor and tweak a frame sync box.

Signing off this thread. Bye.

C.R.