Community Forum

Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Highlighted
New Poster

Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Over the last few months I have noticed that certain channels lag or stutter. Almost, like frames are dropping so movement isn't smooth. I have a X1 DVR box and two remote boxes. I don't notice it as much on the DVR box as I do on the Satellite boxes. Note, I don't see any pixelation or sound issues, just the stuttering of frame rates.

 

Things I have checked:

  1. Called Comcast and had them run a signal test. Came back ok.
  2. Ran both restarts and total resets from my local boxs
  3. Used a process I found online to check the signals on the box and they seem in spec.
  4. Channels that exhibit this behavior the most are the CW, Food Network, MTV.

Should I swap out all of the hardware, or call a tech out to check the signals within the house?

 

I'm in the Frederick, MD area if that helps.

 

Any advice is appreciated.

 

 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

If you need assistance getting a tech out let us know, all your equipment is fine. The levels that you can check through the box are just the interior docs is levels, not specific channel/frequencies.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@crayzkat wrote:

This is an extremely frustrating issue that I have yet to get resolved. I have gone through all the steps and even been told I have reached the highest tech tier available and they have yet to fix it. I have experienced this issue on CBS as well as ION, and a couple others. One tech told me it is the fault of the network not comcast! Seriously? Comcast if you cannot provide consistent service then you shouldn't be in business!  I never ONCE had a lagging issue with direct tv. I only left them to supposedly save money and have a great experience with cable vs sattelite. At the moment, Comcast is FAILING. 


next time you are having that issue with your set top box connected TV, run the smart app Xfinity stream TV app. does it have the same problem? (about 20-30 seconds difference in streaming to a set top box)



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...

Regular Contributor

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?

Expert

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Gov0525 wrote:

@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?


do you have another xg2 set top box? it has 3 tuners to loan out to the xiD set top boxes keeping all the tuners 'available' in your DVR. putting the box on 1080i is the worst setting you can do as 'interlaced' is for CRT/projection TVs not flad panal digital TVs. What was wrong with the Xg2? can you get another XG2 at your local xfinity store to restore full tuner availability to your DVR? Using the voice remote on your DVR, what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?


do you have another xg2 set top box? it has 3 tuners to loan out to the xiD set top boxes keeping all the tuners 'available' in your DVR. putting the box on 1080i is the worst setting you can do as 'interlaced' is for CRT/projection TVs not flad panal digital TVs. What was wrong with the Xg2? can you get another XG2 at your local xfinity store to restore full tuner availability to your DVR? Using the voice remote on your DVR, what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?


Answers to your questions:

1.  No

2.  Setting the resolution 1080i vs 1080p, I see not obviously difference in picture quality

3.  A tech swapped out my XG2 and replaced it with an XiD because of the Amazon Prime error with the XG2's

4.  I don't know and have not inquired yet

5.  STB Version = PXD01ANI_3.2p10s1_PROD_sdy

4.

Regular Contributor

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Also I have found that when I set the XiD to 1080p60 it enables the 24p Direct In on my Panasonic Plasma.  I have an XG1v4 4K STB on my other Panasonic Plasma and in its 1080p60 setting does NOT enable the 24p Direct In on the TV.  My old XG2 STB did NOT enable the 24P Direct In either.  Seems like the XiD's exhibit some strange behavior in my experience with it so far.

Expert

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?


do you have another xg2 set top box? it has 3 tuners to loan out to the xiD set top boxes keeping all the tuners 'available' in your DVR. putting the box on 1080i is the worst setting you can do as 'interlaced' is for CRT/projection TVs not flad panal digital TVs. What was wrong with the Xg2? can you get another XG2 at your local xfinity store to restore full tuner availability to your DVR? Using the voice remote on your DVR, what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?


Answers to your questions:

1.  No

2.  Setting the resolution 1080i vs 1080p, I see not obviously difference in picture quality

3.  A tech swapped out my XG2 and replaced it with an XiD because of the Amazon Prime error with the XG2's

4.  I don't know and have not inquired yet

5.  STB Version = PXD01ANI_3.2p10s1_PROD_sdy

4.


As a retired tech please do understand that having the set top box output to your digital TV interlaced format is destroying information sent to your TV. the XG2 does not have any issue with amazon prime that is only the XG1version 1 DVR made by pace. the XiD takes a tuner from your DVR reducing your ability to record channels and watch live TV on that DVR. after you have one XG2 you can add up to 3 XiD (the pxd01 for example)  set top boxes without taking any tuners from your actual XG1 DVR.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?


do you have another xg2 set top box? it has 3 tuners to loan out to the xiD set top boxes keeping all the tuners 'available' in your DVR. putting the box on 1080i is the worst setting you can do as 'interlaced' is for CRT/projection TVs not flad panal digital TVs. What was wrong with the Xg2? can you get another XG2 at your local xfinity store to restore full tuner availability to your DVR? Using the voice remote on your DVR, what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?


Answers to your questions:

1.  No

2.  Setting the resolution 1080i vs 1080p, I see not obviously difference in picture quality

3.  A tech swapped out my XG2 and replaced it with an XiD because of the Amazon Prime error with the XG2's

4.  I don't know and have not inquired yet

5.  STB Version = PXD01ANI_3.2p10s1_PROD_sdy

4.


As a retired tech please do understand that having the set top box output to your digital TV interlaced format is destroying information sent to your TV. the XG2 does not have any issue with amazon prime that is only the XG1version 1 DVR made by pace. the XiD takes a tuner from your DVR reducing your ability to record channels and watch live TV on that DVR. after you have one XG2 you can add up to 3 XiD (the pxd01 for example)  set top boxes without taking any tuners from your actual XG1 DVR.


Thanks for your input.  The XG2 STB that would not play Amazon Prime content, was a Pace XG2v2 model. 

What XG2 STB should I ask for then?

Expert

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gov0525 wrote:

@rheadmore wrote:

I have noticed over the last few weeks the stagger on several channels.  It is most noticeable during sporting events, so channels like FS1, CBS, Big 10 Network.  I ran the streaming app during a basketball game tonight and didn't notice the stagger on the streaming.  Wondering what steps might be taken to remedy.

Thanks...


I just had a XG2 box swapped out to an XiD box.  This happens on my XiD box with a resolution setting of 1080p60.  If I change it to any other setting, it fixes this issue so I have it currently set to 1080i.  With my old XG2 and main DVR XG1v4 set to 1080p60, I see zero issues.

What set top box do you have and what is your resolution set at?


do you have another xg2 set top box? it has 3 tuners to loan out to the xiD set top boxes keeping all the tuners 'available' in your DVR. putting the box on 1080i is the worst setting you can do as 'interlaced' is for CRT/projection TVs not flad panal digital TVs. What was wrong with the Xg2? can you get another XG2 at your local xfinity store to restore full tuner availability to your DVR? Using the voice remote on your DVR, what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?


Answers to your questions:

1.  No

2.  Setting the resolution 1080i vs 1080p, I see not obviously difference in picture quality

3.  A tech swapped out my XG2 and replaced it with an XiD because of the Amazon Prime error with the XG2's

4.  I don't know and have not inquired yet

5.  STB Version = PXD01ANI_3.2p10s1_PROD_sdy

4.


As a retired tech please do understand that having the set top box output to your digital TV interlaced format is destroying information sent to your TV. the XG2 does not have any issue with amazon prime that is only the XG1version 1 DVR made by pace. the XiD takes a tuner from your DVR reducing your ability to record channels and watch live TV on that DVR. after you have one XG2 you can add up to 3 XiD (the pxd01 for example)  set top boxes without taking any tuners from your actual XG1 DVR.


Thanks for your input.  The XG2 STB that would not play Amazon Prime content, was a Pace XG2v2 model. 

What XG2 STB should I ask for then?


any that they have (i have a pace xg2 and it works fine with amazon prime)



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Same exact problem over here in Alabama. Other channels work perfectly but ESPN lags. I had to install the ESPN app.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Channels all come in on different frequencies. Something is impeding the frequency ESPN is on(maybe other channels that you don’t watch or get). Check all your connections are tight and in good repair. You may need a tech out to troubleshoot further if it continues

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Same issue for over a year.  It is likely that you are having the same issue on many channels.  It just appears worse on fast moving scenes, like most sports.

 

For what it's worth, resetting the device fixes it for about 1 day, then the problem reappears.  This leads me to think it's not a signal issue, but I'm not a tech.

New Poster

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Happens to me too. Bout to just switch my provider
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Have you tried any of the advice posted above?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

Anyone get this issued fixed? I have the same issue on ESPN for a few months now. What’s crazy is that I’m watching Monday night football on ESPN and it’s glitchy/ choppy, but ESPN deportes which is the same exact game, but in Spanish is perfect.... ?Why is it only on ESPN? Please help.
Expert

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels


@Yoyoma12 wrote:
Anyone get this issued fixed? I have the same issue on ESPN for a few months now. What’s crazy is that I’m watching Monday night football on ESPN and it’s glitchy/ choppy, but ESPN deportes which is the same exact game, but in Spanish is perfect.... ?Why is it only on ESPN? Please help.

this issue may have to be resolved by a tech visit to the home. you can check your coax connections to see if they are tight.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Stuttering or Lag on certain channels

The 2 channels are carried on different frequencies. Something is affecting ESPN’s frequency. Follow the instructions above

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!