Community Forum

Streaming from small X1 boxes causing tearing, hesitation on main DVR X1 box

Frequent Visitor

Streaming from small X1 boxes causing tearing, hesitation on main DVR X1 box

Our home has 3 X1 boxes (1 living room, 2 bedroom). The living room has the main X1 box (PX013AN) and the two bedroom boxes are (PXD01ANI). Over the past few months, when streaming (both Netflix, and premium channels - HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.) on either of the bedroom boxes, it causes the living room box, tuned to live TV, to hesitate, stutter, and tear. It's most noticeable during sporting events like hockey or football or basketball where there is quick camera movement, but you can also see it on regular programming, like network news programs, TV shows, etc. This wasn't initially a problem with our setup/boxes - we've had the same setup for 2 1/2 years. It seems to have just cropped up over the past 6-8 months, and it seems to have coincided with all the extra apps and software that have been added to the box. All our connections have remained the same, no movement of TVs or disconnects of the boxes. We just ordered a new 4K TV this weekend, and will be hooking it up next week, and would like to get this resolved before then. Not sure if we need to swap boxes for 4K, or if that will even make a difference. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Expert

Re: Streaming from small X1 boxes causing tearing, hesitation on main DVR X1 box

@JackDale wrote:

Our home has 3 X1 boxes (1 living room, 2 bedroom). The living room has the main X1 box (PX013AN) and the two bedroom boxes are (PXD01ANI). Over the past few months, when streaming (both Netflix, and premium channels - HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.) on either of the bedroom boxes, it causes the living room box, tuned to live TV, to hesitate, stutter, and tear. It's most noticeable during sporting events like hockey or football or basketball where there is quick camera movement, but you can also see it on regular programming, like network news programs, TV shows, etc. This wasn't initially a problem with our setup/boxes - we've had the same setup for 2 1/2 years. It seems to have just cropped up over the past 6-8 months, and it seems to have coincided with all the extra apps and software that have been added to the box. All our connections have remained the same, no movement of TVs or disconnects of the boxes. We just ordered a new 4K TV this weekend, and will be hooking it up next week, and would like to get this resolved before then. Not sure if we need to swap boxes for 4K, or if that will even make a difference. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

the XiD devices are using a channel and the DOCSIS modem in your DVR set top box (leaving you only 4 channels to record/watch). change at least one of the XiD to same-price Xg2. the Xg2 has 4 tuners and will loan a tuner and provide DOCSIS data communication to the other XiD. the extra benefit is that all 6 of your DVR's tuners will be available to record at the same time or 5 recordings and watch one channel live.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Streaming from small X1 boxes causing tearing, hesitation on main DVR X1 box

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying the lack of tuners, and the DOCSIS communication in the XiD boxes can cause this type of problem on my main (Xg1) DVR box when I stream something using an XiD box? If you know, will Comcast (via 1-800 number) allow me to order/exchange the XiD for the Xg2, or can they do the exchange at an Xfinity store? I have a store real close by, but from a lot of the messages I've read on here, it sounds like they don't always have boxes available. Again, thanks for the tip. I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

Silver Problem Solver

@JackDale wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying the lack of tuners, and the DOCSIS communication in the XiD boxes can cause this type of problem on my main (Xg1) DVR box when I stream something using an XiD box? If you know, will Comcast (via 1-800 number) allow me to order/exchange the XiD for the Xg2, or can they do the exchange at an Xfinity store? I have a store real close by, but from a lot of the messages I've read on here, it sounds like they don't always have boxes available. Again, thanks for the tip. I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

I have found exchanging at my Xfinity Store is the most reliable way to have my Xfinity Account changed.  They have access to everything on your account.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I had this exact problem. It was only resolved when i swapped out my main DVR box for the 4K Box. my other companion (smaller boxes) remained the same and the problem no longer occurs. 

Frequent Visitor

Exchanged the main original X1 DVR for a X1v4 4K DVR and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks to all who replied.