Community Forum

Strange sound problem after swapping out DVR today

Contributor

Strange sound problem after swapping out DVR today

We've had a Pace PX001ANM box for the last 4 year that worked pretty well other than being a little sluggish to respond to the remote lately.  The last few days the clock display started losing one LED/LCD element per day and we figure the box was starting to show its age.  So we visited the local Comcast store today and they swapped it for the latest Arris DVR box.  Setup/install went easy enough, set the HDMI sound to the "auto detect (5.1 Dolby)" which matches up with what my Marantz NR-1606 receiver is capable of with our current speaker setup. 

During live TV various channels will show DD + Dolby Surround on the receiver and the receiver will show active input signal for 5.1 channels coming in.  However, DVR'd recordings like Shameless and Walking Dead that recorded tonight on HD channels and have in the past recorded with 5.1 sound on the old DVR are playing back only in stereo or something.  The input map on the receiver says it's only getting front L/R input and it's auto running in Dolby Surround mode.  I can't find a setting anywhere that I seem to have missed or anything.  Do these new boxes not record the higher quality sound?  Some attempt to get you to watch them live or something to force the commercials on you vs. skipping them with the DVR recording?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Strange sound problem after swapping out DVR today

That is happening because the recording you are watching is coming from the cloud...

Recordings stored on the DVR play back in 5.1. Cloud recordings play back in stereo.

Surprised you didn't notice the poorer picture quality of cloud playback. It looks like 480p...
Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
That is happening because the recording you are watching is coming from the cloud...

Recordings stored on the DVR play back in 5.1. Cloud recordings play back in stereo.

Surprised you didn't notice the poorer picture quality of cloud playback. It looks like 480p...

Why is the new box recording to the cloud?  This is occuring on brand new recordings that were recorded after the new box was set up.  I do see what you mean about the poor picture quality but only on one of the deleted recordings from the previous DVR that I restored as a test.  Tonight's recordings were just fine picture wise, it's just that they're not recording 5.1 sound apparently.

Contributor

I noticed when I set the new box up that all of our usual recordings were still scheduled.  Do we need to delete them all and reschedule everything from the new box?

Contributor

Ok further strangeness and unfortunately I didn't think about "correct troubleshooting order" before I tried this.  I used the web interface to send a reset to the box and then when it came back while watching live TV with 5.1 audio track I hit the record button.  That recording did have the correct sound.  I called Comcast and after getting to Tier 2 they seemed to think it should be recording correctly.  So we're going to see what happens tomorrow night with the previously set up scheduled recordings and they've scheduled a call-back to check and  see what the status is.  

Of course, if you guys think this is caused by all our recurring scheduled recordings being scheduled from the old DVR and we need to set them back up from the new DVR I'd like to know ASAP so I can just fix the issue since tomorrow night has stuff that really benefits from proper surround sound.

Gold Problem Solver

The recordings that were on your DVR are gone. The recordings were stored on the cloud but they do not "copy back" to the DVR.

Rescheduling won't help. You need to watch the recordings you have a delete them.

Going forward from the point you got your new DVR, those recordings will reside locally and your DVR and will play in 5.1.

You are not doing anything wrong. There is nothing for anyone to fix. Your X1 is working as designed.

FYI you can still get surround sound when watching those recordings. But it will be the older Dolby Pro Logic surround sound not Dolby Digital 5.1.
Expert

adding... when a new DVR is installed, the 'sync DVR' command must be done to tell the scheduler to update itself and the local DVR as to recording 'now' (before overnight reboot). Comcast has stated the same video stream is recorded in the cloud as in the home, but since audio is part of that stream I'm puzzled why the sound would be in 2.0 stereo. I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

However I seem to recall a Comcast employee post in this forum that stereo audio from cloud recordings was temporary.......
Gold Problem Solver

While playing back a recording, press the down arrow.

If you see a small blue cloud, that means it is a cloud based recording. Honestly I don't need the indicator in order to know it's a cloud recording. The degradation in picture quality is too obvious.
Contributor

Ok there seems to be some massive confusion about what my actual problem is here.

1.  The old DVR had NO recordings left on it.  We actually had managed to clear them out by chance so yesterday was a perfect day for a swap since I assumed they'd just be lost.

2.  The recordings that I'm talking about that have poor sound happened last night AFTER the new box was installed.

So, it sounds like the problem might be fixed now then between either my using the web portal to reset the box and/or that I also at some point last night went in and manually selected the DVR Sync thing?  Guess we'll find out at 8pm tonight then.  When I'm home at lunch I'll check for the cloud icon on one of last night's recordings that's still around.

Official Employee

Hi, Flyinion - The new DVR box is capable of recording content in the higher quality sound. When I checked your recordings, both Shameless and Walking Dead have been canceled by the system, which doesn't make sense if you were able to play them. It seems like the new DVR information got mixed up with your old DVR. I refreshed the system and reconnected your new DVR. Please let me know if you get any issues with the recordings today. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Thanks I'll do that.

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
While playing back a recording, press the down arrow.

If you see a small blue cloud, that means it is a cloud based recording. Honestly I don't need the indicator in order to know it's a cloud recording. The degradation in picture quality is too obvious.

When I pressed the down arrow to check one of last night's recordings at lunch there was no blue cloud.  There was however in the upper left area a white cloud with the letters DVR next to it.  I'm not sure if that just means it's a show that's available in the cloud for mobile devices though.

Gold Problem Solver

Whoops my bad. Grey cloud.

That means it's a cloud recording.
Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

No worries, I know the interface is always changing with new icons etc.  I'm hoping it's just the sync issue and between my playing with it last night and the Comcast rep's reply above that tonight will go smoothly.  We'll find out in about 3 1/2 hours.

So if I'm understanding everyone right though, I don't need to cancel all the recordings that were set up on the old box and re-do them right?

Expert

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

No worries, I know the interface is always changing with new icons etc.  I'm hoping it's just the sync issue and between my playing with it last night and the Comcast rep's reply above that tonight will go smoothly.  We'll find out in about 3 1/2 hours.

So if I'm understanding everyone right though, I don't need to cancel all the recordings that were set up on the old box and re-do them right?

correct. when your current DVR is updated on your account (assigned to an outlet number) the scheduler will program that DVR to record (as it does with your cloud DVR). If you make a 'hot' (instant) recording on TVland for example, does the DVR play it back without the cloud dvr recording icon?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

correct. when your current DVR is updated on your account (assigned to an outlet number) the scheduler will program that DVR to record (as it does with your cloud DVR). If you make a 'hot' (instant) recording on TVland for example, does the DVR play it back without the cloud dvr recording icon?

I don't have a for sure answer based on the icon or not, but based on behavior, something I know that was a cloud recording now in this case Madam Secratary last night was a cloud recording with only stereo sound.  However last night after this all started I hit record while the 2nd "airing" of Shameless was going on and that one had full 5.1 sound vs. the earlier recurring recording that had only stereo.

Gold Problem Solver

As I mentioned earlier, when the X1 box sends stereo signal you can always set your Marantz to "Dolby Surround" which is Dolby Pro Logic. Not as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 but probably better than smiple stereo.

Flyinion wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

I don't have a for sure answer based on the icon or not, but based on behavior, something I know that was a cloud recording now in this case Madam Secratary last night was a cloud recording with only stereo sound.  However last night after this all started I hit record while the 2nd "airing" of Shameless was going on and that one had full 5.1 sound vs. the earlier recurring recording that had only stereo.

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, when the X1 box sends stereo signal you can always set your Marantz to "Dolby Surround" which is Dolby Pro Logic. Not as good as Dolby Digital 5.1 but probably better than smiple stereo.

Yep it was doing that automatically since I usually leave that input in Auto.  99% of the time it shows DD + DS but last night with the recordings it was just showing DSurround (1st D in both cases actually being the Dolby logo).  It's workable for stuff like Shameless but other stuff I definitely would prefer to have the recording bugs worked out.  I'm optimistic it's fixed now.  If it turns out to still be broken then we'll just have to go through and re-schedule everything I guess.

Gold Problem Solver

Not bragging here but I own three Marantz AV receivers including an SR7010. I am all set with 4K and Dolby Atmos. My XG1V4 DVR is working exactly as it should in regards to audio.

Today's AV receivers are not easy to properly setup and adjust. I have found that very few "normal" consumers can properly install and set up today's AV receivers for maximum performance.

Why don't you provide some model numbers and some specifics in regards to how you have your system connected.

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Yep it was doing that automatically since I usually leave that input in Auto.  99% of the time it shows DD + DS but last night with the recordings it was just showing DSurround (1st D in both cases actually being the Dolby logo).  It's workable for stuff like Shameless but other stuff I definitely would prefer to have the recording bugs worked out.  I'm optimistic it's fixed now.  If it turns out to still be broken then we'll just have to go through and re-schedule everything I guess.

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Not bragging here but I own three Marantz AV receivers including an SR7010. I am all set with 4K and Dolby Atmos. My XG1V4 DVR is working exactly as it should in regards to audio.

Today's AV receivers are not easy to properly setup and adjust. I have found that very few "normal" consumers can properly install and set up today's AV receivers for maximum performance.

Why don't you provide some model numbers and some specifics in regards to how you have your system connected.

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Woops thought I did that above in the original post.  Before I do that I'll mention I checked tonight's recordings and it looks like either syncing the DVR or whatever the Comcast rep did according to their post up above worked.  New recordings are functioning correctly.  Local recordings with correct surround sound formats.

As far as equipment related to the X1 system, I'm using a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 plasma with a Marantz NR-1606.  For speakers I'm using a 5.1 package of some old Velodyne satellites and sub.  Yeah they're about 15 years old now lol, hoping to replace them next year finally with some SVS stuff. 

DVR etc. are all feeding through the Marantz which is feeding the TV.  The speaker levels/etc. were configured with the audyssey mic.  I used to use the calibration DVD's and a SPL meter for years before that.  With the Marantz for sound I generally cycle through the "Pure" modes from direct to "pure direct" until it hits Auto  to read the signal in the correct format (DD, DTS, etc.).  For things that I know are stereo only like streaming Star Trek Discovery through the CBS app or 2 channel content on Netflix etc. through my chromecast I will manually set to DTS:X's version of Pro Logic.  I forget the correct name offhand Neural something or other.  

Contributor

ComcastElla wrote:

Hi, Flyinion - The new DVR box is capable of recording content in the higher quality sound. When I checked your recordings, both Shameless and Walking Dead have been canceled by the system, which doesn't make sense if you were able to play them. It seems like the new DVR information got mixed up with your old DVR. I refreshed the system and reconnected your new DVR. Please let me know if you get any issues with the recordings today. 

Thanks, not 100% sure if that fixed it or something else that myself or phone support tried but it's working correctly today.

Official Employee

@Flyinion - Thank you for letting me know. I think our combine troubleshooting helped with your issue, probably it was a DVR sync miscommunication. If you notice any issues in the future - please let me know.

Also, I want to mention, the X1 DVR is getting information from the headend, not from the cloud. All recordings from the cable box are stored on the hard drive. We may have trials in some areas where DVR box gets info from the cloud (and I'm checking if you are in a trial area) but it's not available for all customers. I haven't heard about the cloud DVR icon you see, it could just indicate that recording is available on the cloud server as well.  However, I'm investigating and I will update this post as soon as I get more information. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast Ella,

It is very obvious when a recording is coming from the cloud. I can tell because the recordings prior to swapping my DVR all playing back that way. The recordings coming from the DVR are all post swap.

FYI, Cloud playback is obvious because the picture quality is SUBSTANTIALLY degraded and the sound is simple stereo. It's very obvious.

ComcastElla wrote:

@Flyinion - Thank you for letting me know. I think our combine troubleshooting helped with your issue, probably it was a DVR sync miscommunication. If you notice any issues in the future - please let me know.

Also, I want to mention, the X1 DVR is getting information from the headend, not from the cloud. All recordings from the cable box are stored on the hard drive. We may have trials in some areas where DVR box gets info from the cloud (and I'm checking if you are in a trial area) but it's not available for all customers. I haven't heard about the cloud DVR icon you see, it could just indicate that recording is available on the cloud server as well.  However, I'm investigating and I will update this post as soon as I get more information. 

Gold Problem Solver

Onion,

Not sure I agree with setting your receiver in "Direct" or "Pure Direct" mode. It shuts of many key features such as Audyssey, EQ and tone controls. Take a peek at page 124 of the online manual. I certainly don't run mine that way.

I have found the Audyssey suite of features to be invaluable. I never turn them off.

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Woops thought I did that above in the original post.  Before I do that I'll mention I checked tonight's recordings and it looks like either syncing the DVR or whatever the Comcast rep did according to their post up above worked.  New recordings are functioning correctly.  Local recordings with correct surround sound formats.

As far as equipment related to the X1 system, I'm using a Panasonic TC-P60VT60 plasma with a Marantz NR-1606.  For speakers I'm using a 5.1 package of some old Velodyne satellites and sub.  Yeah they're about 15 years old now lol, hoping to replace them next year finally with some SVS stuff. 

DVR etc. are all feeding through the Marantz which is feeding the TV.  The speaker levels/etc. were configured with the audyssey mic.  I used to use the calibration DVD's and a SPL meter for years before that.  With the Marantz for sound I generally cycle through the "Pure" modes from direct to "pure direct" until it hits Auto  to read the signal in the correct format (DD, DTS, etc.).  For things that I know are stereo only like streaming Star Trek Discovery through the CBS app or 2 channel content on Netflix etc. through my chromecast I will manually set to DTS:X's version of Pro Logic.  I forget the correct name offhand Neural something or other.  

Expert

ComcastElla wrote:

`to create a cloud-DVR only recording, set up a recording that begins shortly and unplug the DVR. After the end time plug it back in and you will see the recording listed. begin play, dismiss or let all menu components to go off the playback screen and hit the OK button. icon is in upper left before word DVR.

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Onion,

Not sure I agree with setting your receiver in "Direct" or "Pure Direct" mode. It shuts of many key features such as Audyssey, EQ and tone controls. Take a peek at page 124 of the online manual. I certainly don't run mine that way.

I have found the Audyssey suite of features to be invaluable. I never turn them off.

LOL apparently I need to reformat my username, you're the third person that reads Ion as Onion.  Anyway I think you misunderstood.  I don't remember the exact remote option since I use a Harmony Touch to control everything but the sound menu buttons like "Movie Mode" etc are on the touch screen on the remote and one such "button" is "Pure Mode" and it pressing it cycles between Direct, Pure Direct, and Auto which is the mode I run it in.  Auto is the mode where the receiver reads what's coming in and figures out what it is.  All of the Audyssey features definitely work in that mode.  There is a noticeable difference between "Auto" and the Direct modes.

From the manual........

Auto surround playback

This mode detects the type of input digital signal, and automatically selects the corresponding mode for playback.
Perform stereo playback when the input signal is PCM. When the input signal is Dolby Digital or DTS, the music is played back according to the respective channel number.

Press PURE to select “Auto”.

Auto surround playback begins.

Official Employee

@RickGr4 @ Rustyben - I reached out to my peers from the Advanced Repair to make sure the information I have is up to date and I will correct myself.

Recordings from the DVR box are stored on the hard drive; however, if there are any issues with the original recording - the box can stream this recording directly from the cloud. Yes, the quality is lower. Again, this happens only if there are any issues with the original "local' recording. 

Another situation, when you can stream from the cloud - the box swap. In this case, recordings from the old DVR can be streamed from the cloud on the new DVR box. 

In @Flyinion case, recordings for Shameless and Walking Dead have been recorded after the box swap. It was supposed to be recorded on the hard drive but due to sync issues they got canceled on the DVR but not from the cloud. 

Gold Problem Solver

I prefer to dictate the surround mode the receiver is in. No "auto" for me...

Flyinion wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Onion,

LOL apparently I need to reformat my username, you're the third person that reads Ion as Onion.  Anyway I think you misunderstood.  I don't remember the exact remote option since I use a Harmony Touch to control everything but the sound menu buttons like "Movie Mode" etc are on the touch screen on the remote and one such "button" is "Pure Mode" and it pressing it cycles between Direct, Pure Direct, and Auto which is the mode I run it in.  Auto is the mode where the receiver reads what's coming in and figures out what it is.  All of the Audyssey features definitely work in that mode.  There is a noticeable difference between "Auto" and the Direct modes.

From the manual........

Auto surround playback

This mode detects the type of input digital signal, and automatically selects the corresponding mode for playback.
Perform stereo playback when the input signal is PCM. When the input signal is Dolby Digital or DTS, the music is played back according to the respective channel number.

Press PURE to select “Auto”.

Auto surround playback begins.

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastElla wrote:

@RickGr4 @ Rustyben - I reached out to my peers from the Advanced Repair to make sure the information I have is up to date and I will correct myself.

Recordings from the DVR box are stored on the hard drive; however, if there are any issues with the original recording - the box can stream this recording directly from the cloud. Yes, the quality is lower. Yes, it sure is. Again, this happens only if there are any issues with the original "local' recording. Interesting. Never had that happen.

Another situation, when you can stream from the cloud - the box swap. In this case, recordings from the old DVR can be streamed from the cloud on the new DVR box. But not copied back to the DVR's hard drive.

In @Flyinion case, recordings for Shameless and Walking Dead have been recorded after the box swap. It was supposed to be recorded on the hard drive but due to sync issues they got canceled on the DVR but not from the cloud. 

Official Employee

@RickGr4 - Correct. They are not copied back to the DVR's hard drive. You can stream those recording from the cloud. 

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

I prefer to dictate the surround mode the receiver is in. No "auto" for me...

Yeah I used to do that all the time on my old receiver.  This one seems to behaving well enough on Auto for the Blu-Ray and DVR.  I have a Chromecast I run as well for Netflix/CBS for Star Trek/etc. (my TV's Netflix app hasn't been updated in forever) and that one I definitely choose what mode since much of the content comes across as two channel except for Netflix.  Even there some older stuff my wife watches is only two channel.  For the DVR etc. I usually just glance at the display to make sure it's running in the mode I expect it to be which was my first clue sunday night that I wasn't just "hearing things" lol.