Community Forum

Smart resume not working

Regular Contributor

Smart resume not working

I have Smart resume on yet every show I taped this week none of the commercials are able to be skipped this is on CBS and ABC
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Smart resume not working

@Laurie wrote:
I have Smart resume on yet every show I taped this week none of the commercials are able to be skipped this is on CBS and ABC

Were they recorded programs?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I have the same issue and see the amber marks where it should skip the commercials but it didn't work. 

Expert

@ReyLopez wrote:

I have the same issue and see the amber marks where it should skip the commercials but it didn't work. 

when the commercial(s) begin do you press the fast forward button on the remote? If so, does it start to fast forward? does the visible fast forward show the next non-commecial segment and then rewinds to the end of the last commercial and start playing the next segment of the recorded show? Or?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I press the FFWD and it just keeps going past the mark. Isn't it supposed to automatically stop?
Regular Contributor

Yes, if the timeline has the color coded marks it should stop.  It is an option, though.  Make sure it is still turned on in settings>preferences>general.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yeah it's on. I'll try again in a few days. Thank you
Most Valued Poster

@Laurie wrote:

Glad I am not the only one who is noticing that its not always working as it should.  At first we thought it was just ABC and CBS but seems to be more than that. I sure wish someone could explain this.

New Poster

Mine is not working either. No yellow lines, just recorded regular. This has been going on for a week or so.
Silver Problem Solver

@Jamiesouth wrote:
Mine is not working either. No yellow lines, just recorded regular. This has been going on for a week or so.

I've never tried recording channels above 1000 - are yours recorded from there?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@Jamiesouth wrote:

--

Smart Resume is broken...period and we don't seem to be able to get anyone from Comcast to address it in the forums. I have called more than once and no matter what I said all I ever get is instructions as to how to use it which of course I already knew.  My recordings are never on channels above 1000.  I have restarted, refreshed and checked my settings many times.

Who can we contact OTHER than regular customer service about this? It worked much better when it was in Labs.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Jamiesouth wrote:

--

Smart Resume is broken...period and we don't seem to be able to get anyone from Comcast to address it in the forums. I have called more than once and no matter what I said all I ever get is instructions as to how to use it which of course I already knew.  My recordings are never on channels above 1000.  I have restarted, refreshed and checked my settings many times.

Who can we contact OTHER than regular customer service about this? It worked much better when it was in Labs.

I just checked my X1 DVR and my XG2 companion and smart resume is there and works.

It may be a regional issue?

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Jamiesouth wrote:

--

I just checked my X1 DVR and my XG2 companion and smart resume is there and works.

It may be a regional issue?

===

We have had many reports on here of Smart Resume no longer working on  recordings and being hit or miss even  on series recording episodes and I believe those reporting the problem are in different service areas. There is no particular network or time of day involved in my case. I am in Northern Virginia.......Dale City service area.

It is so very frustrating as you never know which recording will work and once you get used to Smart Resume there is a lot of growling when it doesn't work. 

Regular Contributor

Still working in the Chicago area on NBC at least.  I do recall a short time it quit for a few days a long time ago though.   It is probably something about the way progams are marked as being allowed to use it getting missed, especially on feeds from local broadcast channels.   With a company like Comcast it is probably impossible to talk to the person who manages that...

Most Valued Poster

@lesmikesell wrote:

Still working in the Chicago area on NBC at least.  I do recall a short time it quit for a few days a long time ago though.   It is probably something about the way progams are marked as being allowed to use it getting missed, especially on feeds from local broadcast channels.   With a company like Comcast it is probably impossible to talk to the person who manages that...

===

If a network program is marked to allow Smart Resume then in my mind it should work every week on the same show when I have DVR set for series recordings or am I missing something?

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

If a network program is marked to allow Smart Resume then in my mind it should work every week on the same show when I have DVR set for series recordings or am I missing something?

I don't know the actual details, but I'd guess it is a flag that has to be added for every show.  I'd expect it to be mostly automated, but also for it to have things that can go wrong expecially with all the local broadcast feeds inserted separately.

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I don't know the actual details, but I'd guess it is a flag that has to be added for every show.  I'd expect it to be mostly automated, but also for it to have things that can go wrong expecially with all the local broadcast feeds inserted separately.

that's not how it works.  networks would never want you to skip a commercial, they dislike DVRs as it is now. A semi-automated process recognizes the breaks and marks them. the smart resume is provided on a best efforts basis it does not always work.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

It is not working again I recorded shows on CBS ABC NBC and CW and not one of them had the yellow lines on them to skip the commercials
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

that's not how it works.  networks would never want you to skip a commercial, they dislike DVRs as it is now. A semi-automated process recognizes the breaks and marks them. the smart resume is provided on a best efforts basis it does not always work.

No, it has to be specifically allowed by the content owner.  Comcast isn't in a position to alienate any content owners.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

No, it has to be specifically allowed by the content owner.  Comcast isn't in a position to alienate any content owners.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

the providers live and die on nielson ratings and the c3 is specifically for watching of commercials (not skipping them). the providers would never want anyone to skip commercials. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

the providers live and die on nielson ratings and the c3 is specifically for watching of commercials (not skipping them). the providers would never want anyone to skip commercials. 

And yet..., some do and some don't.

New Poster

I'm referring to regular ABC and NBC. Still not working. I've tried restarting and refreshing.
Regular Contributor

They work here.  Which is why I suspect it has to do with the local broadcast station feeds.

Regular Contributor

Yes they worked last week. On Sunday I recorded Supergirl God friended me Madam Secretary and NCIS Monday was Bluff City law and the good doctor. Tuesday was FBI new Amsterdam wed was chicago on nbc modern family on abc. None of these had the commercial skips when I went to view them I have the set to record every week
Most Valued Poster

@Laurie wrote:
Yes they worked last week. On Sunday I recorded Supergirl God friended me Madam Secretary and NCIS Monday was Bluff City law and the good doctor. Tuesday was FBI new Amsterdam wed was chicago on nbc modern family on abc. None of these had the commercial skips when I went to view them I have the set to record every week

Thank you for all that ..since someone  thinks its a regional issue...where  do you live please. We record all but  two of those you mentioned and none were working with Smart Resume either.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

==

@ Rustyben.....please clarify that last paragraph. Networks don't want us to skip commercials yet Comcast have given us the process to do just that. Saying that its "provided on a best efforts bases it does not always work" is ludicrous. That was the explanation when it was in Labs but the number of times it did not work when it was in Labs is a spit in the bucket compared to what is happening now. More recordings than not are not working . The  feature  is obviously broken and why is that no one from Comcast is telling us whats going on? I have never seen them this unresponsive and I have tagged some of the ones that usually help us and still nothing.

Regular Contributor

I live in sw florida
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@Laurie wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Laurie wrote:

---

Sorry to be snippy but she said they were taped which means recorded.

Lets call it what it is.... BROKEN.

Most Valued Poster

@Laurie wrote:
I live in sw florida

Thank you ...they seem to think its regional....NOT

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@Laurie wrote:
I live in sw florida

Thank you ...they seem to think its regional....NOT

It's working in Houston.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@ReyLopez wrote:

when the commercial(s) begin do you press the fast forward button on the remote? If so, does it start to fast forward? does the visible fast forward show the next non-commecial segment and then rewinds to the end of the last commercial and start playing the next segment of the recorded show? Or?

==

Seriously Rusty......I think we know that we are to press FF.

Regular Contributor

not sure what happened but mine is working this week on all channels the yellow is there and when I fff it goes to the end of commercials and starts show
New Poster

Very frustrating... we've binge-watched a few different series over the past couple of days and found there to be no real rhyme or reason behind when Smart Resume is on and when it's not. In one series, we actually had Smart Resume skip every other episode. Not sure what explains that. And shows that had Smart Resume while the "feature" was in the Labs now no longer have it at all.

So, @Comcast_Support, what gives?

Most Valued Poster

@LazerFlash01 wrote:

Very frustrating... we've binge-watched a few different series over the past couple of days and found there to be no real rhyme or reason behind when Smart Resume is on and when it's not. In one series, we actually had Smart Resume skip every other episode. Not sure what explains that. And shows that had Smart Resume while the "feature" was in the Labs now no longer have it at all.

---

Having exact same issue. Some episodes in series recordings have it and some don't ..every other one usually like you said. Some series don't have it on any episodes.  There is zero rhyme or reason.  I started documenting the shows and decided not to...way too tedious to keep up with. I just don't understand why we can't get anyone from Comcast to speak to us on this issue. They usually help on the forums.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@LazerFlash01 wrote:

---

Having exact same issue. Some episodes in series recordings have it and some don't ..every other one usually like you said. Some series don't have it on any episodes.  There is zero rhyme or reason.  I started documenting the shows and decided not to...way too tedious to keep up with. I just don't understand why we can't get anyone from Comcast to speak to us on this issue. They usually help on the forums.

interesting note here, saturday we a show preempted by local news. The commercial breaks were still there but not correct during the 'local' show. once the local news returned to the network feed on the recording, the commercials matched up (Saturday night live).  Apparently the commercials are recognized somplace and then must be distributed around to the servers that our X1 equipment connects thus showing the smart resume points. maybe the issue is in that communication between the 'main' place and the other servers in the country. 

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@LazerFlash01 wrote:

---

interesting note here, saturday we a show preempted by local news. The commercial breaks were still there but not correct during the 'local' show. once the local news returned to the network feed on the recording, the commercials matched up (Saturday night live).  Apparently the commercials are recognized somplace and then must be distributed around to the servers that our X1 equipment connects thus showing the smart resume points. maybe the issue is in that communication between the 'main' place and the other servers in the country. 

Rustyben......Thanks for trying to assist but sorry ... that post does not offer anything helpful to those of us who have little/no Smart Resume function. From the posts we live in different parts of the countty.