Community Forum

Small cable box not working

New Poster

Small cable box not working

The TVs in my house that are connected to small cable boxes are not working. All cords are tight and the TVs are set in the correct mode. The big cable boxes we have are working fine. Just started today. Thoughts?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Small cable box not working

What’s the onscreen message? Model?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

“Sorry, we’re having some trouble. Please reset your cable connection then restart your tv box which can often fix common issues.” Done it
Multiple times and same message keeps popping up. Our TVs hooked into the large boxes are working fine.
Diamond Problem Solver

Try resetting both DVR and small boxes at the same time, possibly the gateway too. Again, what model numbers? Big boxes little boxes can be anything

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

1. As Andrew asked, what are the model numbers?
2. Did this particular box ever work in it's current location? Are you sure the outlet you are connecting to actually has live signal?

3. Are you sure that you connected the cable to the "cable TV in" jack? I have been connectiing cable TV gear for over 40 years and last weekend I accidentally made a connection to the "cable TV out" jack.

4. Many X1 "small boxes" must be able to communicate with the main box over the wiring in your house. If an Xi box can't see and communicate with a main XG box it will not work.

@Medck95 wrote:
“Sorry, we’re having some trouble. Please reset your cable connection then restart your tv box which can often fix common issues.” Done it
Multiple times and same message keeps popping up. Our TVs hooked into the large boxes are working fine.

New Poster

We haven’t moved the TVs from their current location nor touched any of the tv setting in three years. Worked great up until three days ago. On day two of no service message. Model of small box is Pace PXD01ANI
Diamond Problem Solver

Do you have a Comcast gateway? If so look on the back of the small moca light is on or not. Still waiting on all your equipment models. The small box needs moca to communicate to the large box. So either, the large box stopped communicating out, the small box is not communicating in or something in the cables(or other equipment) is blocking the moca communication altogether

New Poster

I do have a gateway.. Moca light is not on.
Gold Problem Solver

STILL waiting on the model numbers of your boxes.

EXACTLY what messages are you seeing on your TV screen?

@Medck95 wrote:
I do have a gateway.. Moca light is not on.

Diamond Problem Solver

Try temporarily switching locations of the working and non working box. You may end up needing a tech out

New Poster

I’ve posted all of the information.
New Poster

Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I'm having the same issue.
Expert

@ANGR891 wrote:
Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I'm having the same issue.

use voice remote 'about'. what is the rest of the line after "STB version.."? Do you have a DVR? and xg2?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

same here...I've been having to reset my boxes almost daily.  Main box is usually ok.  It is the smaller boxes in bedrooms and basement with issues. 

Expert

@Tom-Parker wrote:

same here...I've been having to reset my boxes almost daily.  Main box is usually ok.  It is the smaller boxes in bedrooms and basement with issues. 

use voice remote 'about'. what is the rest of the line after "STB version.."? Do you have a DVR? an xg2?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Tom-Parker, when you reset the boxes, do they work after that? Have you replaced the cabling from the boxes to the TV? 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm having the same issue-Main box in living room is fine-small box in bedroom have to unplug and reset it every couple days.

Official Employee

telmore, thanks for letting us know that you're having issues with your satellite boxes. We truly appreciate your time! Often, this is related to a MOCA issue. Let's investigate! Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Same issue 2 out of my 4 small boxes not working.. other 2 work and main boxes work... worked for a year now just stopped working .. so annoying with company coming for the holiday
Official Employee

Hello Scott_lorenz, thank you for reaching out and welcome to our forums.  I apologize for your frustration with your cable boxes especially around the holiday, I know it's the last thing you want to worry about. I would like to help troubleshoot further and  get you back to enjoying you cable service. Could you please send me a private message with your full name to begin?

Thank you 

Official Employee

Hi there, 

Scott_lorenz. 

I wanted to reach out and touch base before closing out your post. Did you have any other questions for us? 

Frequent Visitor

The communication issue sems to be on Comcasts end and not the end users problem.
Possibly with the recent update that has messed up interior communications between the boxes.

Frequent Visitor

As a Update, The Guide works, the Apps work so I can watch Amazon Prime and Netflix or any of the other APPs that provide TV or Shows but the Actual Comcast content shows a black Screen with a connection issue. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Muthatrucka wrote:

As a Update, The Guide works, the Apps work so I can watch Amazon Prime and Netflix or any of the other APPs that provide TV or Shows but the Actual Comcast content shows a black Screen with a connection issue. 

Which one has this issue?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Pace Xi3 's do not show actual TV just a black screen while all other 2 Way Data Streams Show Picture. This is REcent up until a few days ago both Pace Xi3's were working fine.

Official Employee

Greetings, Muthatrucka! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear of the issues you're having with the Xi3. If you are still having issues feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

New Poster

Tried all local steps to shutdown, reboot, etc on all 3 boxes. having same issue. XID boxes (both) have sorry we’re having some trouble message. Why is solution not posted? All are PM’s with Comcast and no update. Can reboot DVR from web app. Not XID’s. Been out since first this morning. Thx.
Official Employee

Hello, Explorer54321. I apologize to hear you are running into issues with you cable boxes. I would like to look into this. A lot of the times we need to go into a PM in order to get your information and dig deeper into the signal to see what could be causing the issue. I would like to see what's happening with your signal. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. The main DVR box in the living room is fine. The ones in the bedrooms are not working after multiple unplugs, restarts, and system refreshes. Help!
Official Employee

Greetings, Frustrated112! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums as well with this. I hope your week is going great so far. I would like to look further into this issue for you. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

Frequent Visitor

After a 40 min conversation on the phone with Xfinity and the elevation to an Advanced Technical member, the issue was fixed. They had me unplug the boxes while they performed various “diagnostics”. Eventually, after several failed attempts, they got each one working again. At one point, they blamed the signal / lines and that they would send a technician out the next day. However, I pointed out that it couldn’t be the signal / lines as I had moved the small boxes to different TVs that had been working with the larger boxes and the small boxes still did not work. Be persistent with them and hopefully it will work out.
Official Employee

Hello, Explorer54321. I have not heard back from you. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new public thread.

Official Employee

Hey, daaron21. I hope you are having a good week so far. I'm glad to hear they were able to get your box back up running. I also appreciate you taking the time to post the outcome on the forums as well. If you need any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

New Poster

Thanks for posting your results. I followed your example and stayed persistent. I was able to get to an advanced-level tech who told me that this is actually a system-wide problem that they're currently working on.
New Poster

Thanks  for letting us know that it is a system problem with Comcast I’m having the same issue I just called and spent 35 minutes on the phone and still my box is not working I’m waiting for them to call me back and it is a brand new box I just came from the store with 

New Poster

Please send repair person to replace box.

Frequent Visitor

Hi All- 

I have 1 Xfinity Main DVR STB- Model # AX014ANM and 2 Xfinity Satellite STB’s Model #PXD01ANI . The two satellite boxes can no longer connect to the Main STB. I have replaced the two satellite boxes twice now, and the problem continues. 

Of note: When I try to SEND NAME TO TV function from Comcast App, the Main STB works, but both satellite boxes return the following error: “WE’RE SORRY- There was an error trying to identify your boxes. Please try again.”

We also rent a Wireless Gateway, less than 90 days old. Countless attempts to reboot these boxes, via the App, or manually unplugging have been fruitless. Countless attempts to refresh the entire system are also fruitless. I have repeatedly attempted to reset, refresh, reboot these boxes and gateway both jointly and individually without success. All COAX was installed by Comcast within the last year and I have repeatedly tightened cables, cleaned boxes with canned air, had a Tech replace my incoming splitter as well with the same results.

I read above this appears to be a system wide problem. As such, I think a few weeks should be more than sufficient to address this issue.  If not, I will have little choice but to shop elsewhere, which is not appealing. I love Comcast, but I can only justify the monthly cost I pay when I can access all 3 HD Smart TVs in my home. One TV does not merit what I pay currently. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Diamond Problem Solver

Try replacing the main box instead of the smaller boxes. Or resetting all the cable boxes at the same time

Expert

adding... change out one of the smaller boxes for the XG2 hub companion (same price). it has its own tuner and 3 it can loan out leaving all of your DVR's tuners available to use for recordings.

Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew  @Rustyben 

Thank you both kindly for your replies! 

I will go down to my local Xfinity store tomorrow and exchange/replace :

1) The Main STB for a new STB

2)  Both the Pace Satellite Boxes for the XG2 STBs  @Rustyben  suggested. ***

Finally, may I ask what I need to do, if anything, concerning calling or notifying Comcast regarding the new STB serial numbers once I’ve installed the three new ones at home? 

I ask because while I was previously told at the Comcast store that I needed do nothing but swap out the old boxes for the new ones, I subsequently discovered I was required to call into Comcast to advise them of the new STB Serial Numbers before the new boxes would work.

Again, thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will post a follow up in this bookmarked thread Friday or Saturday. 

*** ETA-  @Rustyben  I just reread your relpy. I assume I can ADD ONLY 1 XG2 Box and a replacement Pace Satellite STB? 

Expert

@Art11Trighton wrote:

@CCAndrew  @Rustyben 

Thank you both kindly for your replies! 

I will go down to my local Xfinity store tomorrow and exchange/replace :

1) The Main STB for a new STB

2)  Both the Pace Satellite Boxes for the XG2 STBs  @Rustyben  suggested. ***

Finally, may I ask what I need to do, if anything, concerning calling or notifying Comcast regarding the new STB serial numbers once I’ve installed the three new ones at home? 

I ask because while I was previously told at the Comcast store that I needed do nothing but swap out the old boxes for the new ones, I subsequently discovered I was required to call into Comcast to advise them of the new STB Serial Numbers before the new boxes would work.

Again, thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will post a follow up in this bookmarked thread Friday or Saturday. 

*** ETA-  @Rustyben  I just reread your relpy. I assume I can ADD ONLY 1 XG2 Box and a replacement Pace Satellite STB? 

just swap one of your XiD boxes for the XG2. each XG2 can support 3 other XiD/XiD/Xi5 set top boxes.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben  @CCAndrew 

UPDATE: As suggested above, I exchanged my X1D satellite box for the XG2 and lo and behold, working like a dream!  

OF NOTE: While setting up the XG2 satellite box, I attempted to check the Signal Strength via Comcast Labs and the box reported it was UNKNOWN. 

Once the unit completes updating, I’ll look up the OSD code to view signal strength & SNR. 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@Art11Trighton was your main box a DVR?

Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew 

Hello CCandrew- 

To answer your question, YES.  My primary STB is a newer one ( as mentioned in my OP above )  version 4 I believe featuring 4K Netflix &  Cloud DVR service.

This box is the very low profile unit with a single White Light in the center and NO time of day display.