Community Forum

Segregating TV traffic over wifi

Frequent Visitor

Segregating TV traffic over wifi

Can anyone tell me how this is done?  I have a wifi set top box for 4K (Arris xi6 I believe).  It connects back to my router and then the cable modem.  I have been having issues with my tv picture and customer service has told me that this is becuase the tv is going over the internet streaming instead of being connected to coax like a normal box.  But you would think that the router would prioritize this traffic back to the CMTS right?  I have been told that there isn't any QOS for this traffic.  So if that is the case how do they know what traffic is coming from the set top box and what is coming from some other device that is connected to wifi since it's all IP?

Expert

Re: Segregating TV traffic over wifi

@fiji4118 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how this is done?  I have a wifi set top box for 4K (Arris xi6 I believe).  It connects back to my router and then the cable modem.  I have been having issues with my tv picture and customer service has told me that this is becuase the tv is going over the internet streaming instead of being connected to coax like a normal box.  But you would think that the router would prioritize this traffic back to the CMTS right?  I have been told that there isn't any QOS for this traffic.  So if that is the case how do they know what traffic is coming from the set top box and what is coming from some other device that is connected to wifi since it's all IP?

the coax in-home connected set top boxes use MoCA over the coax cables. the Xi6 still uses MoCA but utilizes a special gateway/modem from Comcast that provides MoCA over ethernet so that the Wifi connected device is still connected via MoCA to your coax network. The Xi5 uses a path to your gateway's coax connection and then via MoCa to a hub (either an xg1 DVR or an XG2 hub. This connection allows you to use the in-house network to access a tuner and to access in-home DVR recordings.  The Xi6 can also be connected to your router via ethernet or to a switch connected to your router (either way works).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rustyben.  So if that is the case any picture issues would be introduced within the home on the wifi network.  Typical streaming issues like jitter.

Official Employee

fiji4118, are you still having this issue? Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to take a look at this further together. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!