Community Forum

Second X1 box keeps freezing.

Frequent Visitor

Second X1 box keeps freezing.

Incredibly frustrated with X1 box on our extra TV. One day the service will work just fine and then the next day the picture keep will keep freezing and I get the error codes XRE-10007 & XRE-03044.  This has been happening on and off since we got the service 2 months ago.  The main X1 box works fine. 

Today it is especially bad.  The tv will come on for a few seconds, then freeze, then error code appears, then tv will come back on for a few seconds and the cycle continues.  Actually watching a show is not possible because this cycle is happening multiple times an hour. 

Over the past two months, I have booted, rebooted, both sets, have spent hours on the phone with X1 technical support, and nothing is resolving the issue.

Today, I tried to exchange the X1 box at my local service center (where I got the box originally) to see if it was just a piece of defective equipment, but they said they were not allowed to exchange this particular piece of equipment. 

Frustrated to think I am paying for service that is virtually worthless nearly 100% of the time.  Just want consistent service.  All my other bundled services are working just fine.   

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Second X1 box keeps freezing.

jld3 wrote:

Incredibly frustrated with X1 box on our extra TV. One day the service will work just fine and then the next day the picture keep will keep freezing and I get the error codes XRE-10007 & XRE-03044.  This has been happening on and off since we got the service 2 months ago.  The main X1 box works fine. 

Today it is especially bad.  The tv will come on for a few seconds, then freeze, then error code appears, then tv will come back on for a few seconds and the cycle continues.  Actually watching a show is not possible because this cycle is happening multiple times an hour. 

Over the past two months, I have booted, rebooted, both sets, have spent hours on the phone with X1 technical support, and nothing is resolving the issue.

Today, I tried to exchange the X1 box at my local service center (where I got the box originally) to see if it was just a piece of defective equipment, but they said they were not allowed to exchange this particular piece of equipment. 

Frustrated to think I am paying for service that is virtually worthless nearly 100% of the time.  Just want consistent service.  All my other bundled services are working just fine.   

What are the model numbers of your boxes....  I am especially curious as to the model that the service center was not allowed to swap....

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

It is a Pace Xi3 with an XR11 remote.
Gold Problem Solver

jld3 wrote:
It is a Pace Xi3 with an XR11 remote.

The Xi3 borrrows a tuner from the DVR, so in effect it is using the cable in your home to transfer the DVR's tuner to it.  MOCA is the medium used to get that and if there are loose connectors, loose connectors on splitters, degraded cable, bad cable runs can all contribute to signal loss....   If the Service Center will not allow you to swap the Xi3 for an XG2 ( has 4 tuners in it already so it doesn't use MOCA for the tuner ), call 877-896-8678 and request a Tech onsite to evaluate and make the repairs necessary for the Xi3 to work as designed.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. I finally got them to agree to send out a tech tomorrow afternoon. Service center said that the tech should be able to assess the situation and trade out equipment if necessary.

Ironically, ever since 5:15 pm tonight I have had consistent, reliable service.
Gold Problem Solver

jld3 wrote:
Thank you. I finally got them to agree to send out a tech tomorrow afternoon. Service center said that the tech should be able to assess the situation and trade out equipment if necessary.

Ironically, ever since 5:15 pm tonight I have had consistent, reliable service.

DO NOT cancel the appointment....  you will only have the issues return until they are repaired for good.

I'm happy that you were able to get satisfaction from the Service Center.  Post back what the Tech finds/repairs to help others who may also have this issue.

Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Yes, it would be tempting to cancel appointment, but I know it is only a matter of time and it will start happening again!
I will let others know the final resolution.
Thank you again.
Expert

jld3 wrote:
Yes, it would be tempting to cancel appointment, but I know it is only a matter of time and it will start happening again!
I will let others know the final resolution.
Thank you again.

did they come already? what did they do? got an xg2?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

The Comcast tech that came out seemed competent and was very helpful. 

First he checked the outside lines.  His assessment uncovered a significant fluctuation in the signal coming into our house from the outside box.  We also had some older technology at the junction box that needed to be upgraded.  He checked all our inside connections and they were fine (although they reflected the same fluctuation of signal that was coming from outside the house).

He scheduled a line technician to come out and fix the outside signal issues and upgrade the "switch" at the outside junction box to the newer technology.  He seemed to think that fixing the outside signal issue would resolve the problem, but he exchanged the Pace Xi3 box, just in case the one we had was defective.  He said an XG2 would have frozen, too, given the signal problems outside. 

He also said that fixing the outside signal issue would significantly improve our "sluggish" internet speed.  That would be an added bonus! 

We received a message a little while ago that the line tech had finished upgrading and fixing the lines, so the issue should be resolved.  So far, so good.  Only time will tell. 

Thanks to everyone for your input and assistance.

New Poster

Had this prob. and after time on phone with TV manufacturer and Comcast, exchanged box. No joy. 2 more loooonnnggg calls with Comcast they decided I needed a signal booster, scheduled a tech to come. No booster needed. My cabling was a mess among 3 boxes plus another un-used line to the basement. Every time a box was added (Dish early on) the tech split the cable some place so ended up with multiple splits and degraded signal except for main box and since 2nd and 3rd boxes controlled through main he had to fix. Worked to acceptable clean up but to get best signal need to pay outside cabling tech or my electrician to re-run cable including one that goes from where cable comes to house to where it goes across roof into vent into attic....bad idea and old bad shape cable....to drill and pull directly into attic, use 1 splitter to split 4 times and run those cables to TV's. Probably will have my electrician do as he is the best cabler I've seen. Figure $200 ish to clean up and insure best possible signal. Comcast can't go on roof so issue starts there. Original tech chose crappy access by doing that originally. In summary, took multiple tries but got solution.
Visitor

I had similar problem when upgraded to X1 DVR Voice remote.  Main box worked fine but the picture on Tvs hooked up to our two satellite boxes continued to freeze up.   After numerous calls, replacing satellite boxes and replacing splitter and doing system refresh with no improvement a technician came to home and installed what he called "mocha filters" leading where main line met the splitter to satellite boxes and another leaving the internet router and problem was immediately resolved. See the attached photos. 

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG
Official Employee

If the Moca light on your gateway isn't on, there's no need for the filter. There are advancements coming where that filter can't be there. The one on the splitter is correct.
New Poster

Could you post the model number of the filter? 

New Poster

How does a bad signal make the box freeze, but the sound is still there? This happens to me for live tv and dvr recordings. Magicly the signal is fine after a reboot, but no matter how long you leave it on after a freeze it doesn't recover? It's definately buggy software.

Expert

@smithclarksmith wrote:

How does a bad signal make the box freeze, but the sound is still there? This happens to me for live tv and dvr recordings. Magicly the signal is fine after a reboot, but no matter how long you leave it on after a freeze it doesn't recover? It's definately buggy software.

you have posted on an older thread about MoCA (media over coax) communication signal where the companion set top boxes get a channel and on-demand and recordings from another box in the home using MoCA. I see you have cross-posted your issue on many threads. make a new one in TV/X1 to address your problems.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.