Community Forum

Screen Saver

Frequent Visitor

Screen Saver

Where do I turn off the Screen Saver?  I can find a setting to change the time before it comes on but nothing to turn it OFF!

Very upsetting to be watching a race and suddenly there are pictures of flowers showing on the screen.  I want that puppy turned OFF.

Expert

Re: Screen Saver

@KarenBar wrote:

Where do I turn off the Screen Saver?  I can find a setting to change the time before it comes on but nothing to turn it OFF!

Very upsetting to be watching a race and suddenly there are pictures of flowers showing on the screen.  I want that puppy turned OFF.

an older XRE (menu) software version caused that issue. say "about" with voice remote, top line should be 86.1.* or later.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, the Release Version is 86.1.0. 

And again, How do I turn off the Screen Saver?

Diamond Problem Solver

@KarenBar wrote:

Yes, the Release Version is 86.1.0. 

And again, How do I turn off the Screen Saver?

Sorry, there is no OFF setting. You can set it to come on at different at different intervals, 5,15,30 minutes or 5 hours 

Xfintiy button to Gear Symbol to Device Settings to Screen Saver

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply Andrew.  Have to say that no OFF button is BAD!  When I am watching a long race or a day of football come this fall, you will be remembered.  But I guess it was the answer I expected from a company that doesn't even provide a user manual on what all the buttons on the remote do.

Diamond Problem Solver

But I guess it was the answer I expected from a company that doesn't even provide a user manual on what all the buttons on the remote do.
________

Did you mean an accurate answer? Sorry, there’s no Off position, there’s never been one. When the screen saver pops up, press the Xfinity button and it goes away. And for your remote check here, If there’s something you’re still stumped on, ask away.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

New Poster

not being able to turn off screen saver is a pain. i time record on a VCR and it seems to come on right befor the show is to start. Xfinity needs to listen to customers and do more  to make things work for us.

Silver Problem Solver

@psc8181 wrote:

not being able to turn off screen saver is a pain. i time record on a VCR and it seems to come on right befor the show is to start. Xfinity needs to listen to customers and do more  to make things work for us.

Hmm.  Mine doesn't do that; which X1 box do you have (I don't think it's a model issue, but ...)

I have an XG2 and two XG1v3's.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

i'm not sure , how do you find model ?

also i record on VCR tapes for parents, who prefer to use a vcr connected to older tv to watch their shows . i record at my home and they watch in theirs .

i use  on demand and live tv to time record so i set tv to channel of choice , set time record on live tv and walk away. sometimes it works great , others like tues, when recording sports events

it swithched over to screen saver about 3 min before start time , i know this because i was watching to see what happens , it seems if you don't change the channel for a period of time , the X1 box thinks you "fell asleep " and switches automatically  i read that i should set it to 5 hrs. because there is no off function , so will give this a try

Official Employee

psc8181, the screen saver actually appears whenever there is an incompleted action. For example, if you tap the XFINITY button and bring up the menu for Saved, Apps, Settings, notifications, etc--the screen saver will appear after a few minutes there. If you have the guide open for a period of time or if you are using the sports app and don't exit from it after a period of time--if you're setting a recording and don't complete the action through--the screensaver will trigger then as well. If you start an action or open a menu without completing it, the screen saver will trigger. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I really wish I didn't have to say this, but everything Comcast has said on this topic is lies.

If you search the forum, you will find this problem keeps re-occurring.

Comcast will promise to do something, will lie about it in this forum, wait for the complaints to die down, and then after a while will turn it on again.

I have E-mail from them from a year ago or so that supports this assertion. Or you can search the forum and find it yourself.

There is no reason for a screen saver to always have to switch on now that we don't use CRTs anymore.  Comcast has persistantly been dishonest about why there is a forced screensaver.

They have also claimed that it would take extra work on the part of their programmers to remove the screen saver or give it a 'never' setting: but that is also a lie.  The X-1 is based on open source software, and the original software has a 'never' setting. Comcast has put in extra effort and expense to remove it.

I am really getting fed up with Comcast's attitude towards their customers on this issue. Only if we, the customers, band together and make all of our voices heard, over and over again, do we have any hope of getting a real answer on this.  I advise that we all go to our respective consumer protection agency or the equivalent and escalate this problem.

Sorry to sound like a rabble rouser, but as I said, you can check the forums your selves and see how many times Comcast has lied to us on this topic.

Frequent Visitor

Still no answer on why we can't turn off the Screen Saver

This problem has been going on at least since 2014, and probably longer (you can check the forums, I gave up after going back 5 years).

Customers keep telling Comcast we want to be able to completely turn off the Screen Saver. Comcast waffles a bit, and then says they'll investigate the problem.  A number of times they have made "5 Hours" act as 'never', customer thank Comcast, then a few months later the problem comes back again.  This started happening a few days ago.

Comcast has NEVER explained why they think the Screen Saver is mandatory or necessary.  They have promised over and over again to address this issue, and haven't.

My latest conversation with a suppor t person on this issue was a chat session on 11-Oct-2019  startin around 13:30.  I was promised in writing that Comcast would investigate, and that someone would get back to me.  So far, nothing has happened. No E-mail, no call back, and the screen saver still activates when I don't want it to.

I call upon Comcast to give us an official  explanation and answer.  Either  do what your paying customers want and give us a way to turn off the screen saver, or at least give us a good reason why you consider it so essential that we not be able to turn it off.

And you might also explain why you don't follow up on support sessions when you promise to.

Frequent Visitor

More bad news about the X1 Screen Saver: lies instead of a real answer.

I wanted to make this a reply to a previous message, but xfinity won't let me. The topic has apparently been marked as "Solved" and "Answered", so I have to post a new message.

I tried pursuing this issue through the Comcast / Xfinity web site option to send a message directly to the office of Tom Karinshak.  I received an acknowlegement, which contained a promise that I would receive an answer in one business day.  On the third day, I sent a reminder.

I received two non-answers.

The first was instructions on how to find the screen saver preference setting, something I already know how to do.  I replied that this disn't answer my question.

I have just received a second answer, and I'm very sorry to say it's all lies.  It says, in part:

I understand in your e-mail you mentioned you want to be able to have a way to disable Screen Saver completely.

Unfortunately, there is not a way for us to disable that feature completely. This is a feature that was built in the X1 platform and we are not able to change that.

This cannot possibly be true.  I have done my homework, the X1 boxes were built to Comcast's specifications, and Comcast writes all of the software they run.  Since they make other changes to how the X1 works, and what it does, they absolutly can change the duration of the sreen saver, or turn it off, if they want to.

I find the statment I received from Comcast to be insulting: it's worse than no answer at all.

I have also found that my previous post was a little off: I have now found discussions on this topic that go back to 2013.

I will try to explain this issue to xfinity again, in a different way:

Comcast is not the only company that supplies TV programming. There are other cable companies, Direct Broadcast TV, wireless, streaming, direct web site subscriptions, etc.

None of Comcast's competitors find it necessary to impose a mandatory screen saver on their customers.

None of Comcast's competitors find it necessary to interrupt the programs their customers are watching, and arbitrarily replace them with something else.

WHY does Comcast find it necessary to do this?
Comcast: does this help you to understand why this is a real and serious problem, and why it deserves a real solution and an honest answer?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: More bad news about the X1 Screen Saver: lies instead of a real answer.

Just because you can’t accept an answer, as is, does not make it a lie. The X1 platform has been around awhile, if you don’t want a screensaver you can always go back to old legacy boxes

Frequent Visitor

Re: More bad news about the X1 Screen Saver: lies instead of a real answer.

A lie is a lie, whether I like it or not.

The screen saver is NOT built into the X1 box hardware.  It's all software. It's easy enough to find this on the Internet if you know where to look, and you understand anything about computers.  (It doesn't hurt to have 45 years of experience in the telecommunications and computer industries, but it's not necessary.)

And you can't go back to an old box. xfinity doesn't supply them anymore. You should know that.  I doubt very much if they would even allow a new customer who has never had an old box to connect one.

Unless you can show me something official on an xfinity web site that says you can supply your own box regardless of model, I cannot accept your statement.