Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

STB won't output to TV after cable switch

New Poster

STB won't output to TV after cable switch

Hello. I have the XG1-A box and a sony smart TV bought new about 4 months ago. The box and TV were working just fine, connected HDMI cable from TV to box, no issues.

Then tonight, I unplugged the HDMI from the STB and plugged it in to my laptop, wanting to put something from the laptop onto the TV. Had this on mirror screen settings then had it on extended screen settings, just for a couple of minutes. After finishing this, I disconnected the HDMI from my laptop (which is on 1080 resolution settings) and plugged the HDMI back in to the cable STB, and now I can't get any signal from the STB to the TV.

I have made sure all the cable connections are snug. I have turned off and on the STB and the TV. I checked the HDMI cable with my blu ray player and that seemed to be working just fine with the same port I normally have been using for the cable input on the TV, so the cable and TV input ports don't seem to be the issue.

It seems to me like this is maybe a "handshake" issue between the box and the TV. The TV was expecting the laptop connection settings, now its back to the cable box, and they just aren't "talking". Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do here? Again I've rebooted everything, checked the cable and the input. When I reboot the cable box, the blue "power" ring flashes, the screen reads "boot" for a while, then the red "remote" LED comes on for a bit and turns off, then the machine sounds like the fan is on but nothing else is displayed on it.

Help!

-DW

Official Employee

Re: STB won't output to TV after cable switch

@grorx wrote:

Hello. I have the XG1-A box and a sony smart TV bought new about 4 months ago. The box and TV were working just fine, connected HDMI cable from TV to box, no issues.

Then tonight, I unplugged the HDMI from the STB and plugged it in to my laptop, wanting to put something from the laptop onto the TV. Had this on mirror screen settings then had it on extended screen settings, just for a couple of minutes. After finishing this, I disconnected the HDMI from my laptop (which is on 1080 resolution settings) and plugged the HDMI back in to the cable STB, and now I can't get any signal from the STB to the TV.

I have made sure all the cable connections are snug. I have turned off and on the STB and the TV. I checked the HDMI cable with my blu ray player and that seemed to be working just fine with the same port I normally have been using for the cable input on the TV, so the cable and TV input ports don't seem to be the issue.

It seems to me like this is maybe a "handshake" issue between the box and the TV. The TV was expecting the laptop connection settings, now its back to the cable box, and they just aren't "talking". Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do here? Again I've rebooted everything, checked the cable and the input. When I reboot the cable box, the blue "power" ring flashes, the screen reads "boot" for a while, then the red "remote" LED comes on for a bit and turns off, then the machine sounds like the fan is on but nothing else is displayed on it.

Help!

-DW

Pull the HDMI out of the tv, turn the tv on and off and re-seat the HDMI into the tv and dvr. Does it go from "Boot" to clock on the display?

Get a separate HDMI cord for your laptop so you don't have to do it again.

New Poster

I tried these things today, still no input.

When the box boots up, it says "BOOT" with the blue power light on for about 15 seconds, then all the lights go off but the internal fan stays on. Also, we had the settings so there wouldn't be any lights or clock or anything on when the box was working normally, so this is not entirely unexpected. I again used the same cord and port to play HDMI content from our blu ray player this morning and it worked fine for that, so the TV is willing to handshake, but the cable box doesn't seem to want to. Any other thoughts? I can try to connect the STB to a different output like a computer monitor later, but I'm suspicious that isn't going to help?

Official Employee

Did you try a different hdmi port? Make sure you are on the proper TV input?
Problem Solver

Have you unplugged the cable-box and waited a few minutes before plugging it back in?

you might also need to go back into the television's set up menu, treating the cable-box as a new box, and follow procedure for the set-up.

New Poster

Yes, I tried the HDMI input we normally use for a gaming console and it did not input anything to that input either.

Yes, I have made sure the TV inputs are appropriate. I even tried connecting the STB's composite output video to the TV and nothing showed up (though I am assuming it is not outputting in that resolution). I am thinking about trying to connect the STB to a different TV/monitor and see what happens. If I do that and I get output, is there some setting on the box I need to adjust or reset to make it work with the main TV?

Does the box need to be remotely "reset" perhaps?

(Also, thank you for your quick responses, I appreciate it)

New Poster

Yes, I left the STB unplugged overnight and plugged it back in this morning.

I tried doing the TV's "new setup" feature and didn't have any luck with that either. Could it be something having to do with HDR? or some other TV setting?

Official Employee

@grorx wrote:

Yes, I left the STB unplugged overnight and plugged it back in this morning.

I tried doing the TV's "new setup" feature and didn't have any luck with that either. Could it be something having to do with HDR? or some other TV setting?

Did you put the HDMI back to the proper HDMI port on the dvr? There's one out and could be two inputs (disabled) depending on the dvr.

New Poster

Yup, that confused me at first, but I'm making sure its going in to the HDMI Out to TV slot on the STB (the other one is labeled HDMI in, and is harder to get to, which is convenient for this anyways)

Contributor

I have a Sony XBR TV that's a couple of years old and have had nothing but aggravation running it from the x1 box.  About 50% of the time I have to reseat the cable or reboot the X1 box in order to get the two devices to talk together. Otherwise I get a 'signal not found' message on a blue screen.

My belief is that it's an incompatibility in the HDCP handshake between theTV and the X1.

So I went looking for something that would sit between the two and manipulate the signal properly. This is what I found: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CT7THLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a sample of 24 hours, it's been perfect!

Contributor

Solution To Sony/X1 Blue Screens

I have a Sony XBR 4K TV that's a couple of years old and have had nothing but aggravation running it from the X1 box.  About 50% of the time I have to reseat the cable or reboot the X1 box in order to get the two devices to talk together. Otherwise I get a 'signal not found' message on a blue screen.

My belief is that it's an incompatibility in the HDCP handshake between theTV and the X1.

So I went looking for something that would sit between the two and manipulate the signal properly. This is what I found: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CT7THLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On a sample of several days now, it's been perfect!