Community Forum

Running Cable to Bkyard for Additional X1 Box

Frequent Visitor

Running Cable to Bkyard for Additional X1 Box

Got family moving into travel trailer in bkyard since they lost their homes in the Paradise, CA "Camp" Fire. According to comcast chat agent, I can go into my local store & pick up an additional X1 box & a cable long enough to run it to the bkyard trailer and it'll only cost my account an additional $10/month. (If I have their tech do it, it'd be $60 install fee.) Anybody else tried this successfully? And if you self-installed, was it very hard?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Running Cable to Bkyard for Additional X1 Box

Hello officerripley, 

You can pick up the box from your local Xfinity Store. However, they will not have a cable long enough for your plan, they only supply a 3 foot or 6 foot cable. With that said, a technician won't be able to run an outlet unless there is a structure to attach to and it would be a $60.00 charge. Assuming the cable would be running on the ground. You can go to your local big box store and get Rg6 cable, connectors, and a splitter and run this yourself. However, keep in mind that if the cable isn't prepped right, it could cause issues. Ingress could be an issue if the cable isn't prepped right. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

adding.. if wifi works you can use a Roku device and the Xfinity Stream Beta (currently free) 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben -- Another great option as well, thank you. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Rustyben said "if wifi works you can use a Roku device and the Xfinity Stream Beta (currently free) ".

Sorry to be so stupid, Rustyben (I think all the ash in the air's getting to me), but if you or some1 else on here has time, could you kinda walk me thru that process? I do have a router--Google mesh, shhhh don't tell comcast ;-)--do you mean that if the family in the trailer buy a Roku they can then, access my comcast X1 box? (The trailer they're going to be living in will be about 100 feet away from my router.

Expert

@officerripley wrote:

Rustyben said "if wifi works you can use a Roku device and the Xfinity Stream Beta (currently free) ".

Sorry to be so stupid, Rustyben (I think all the ash in the air's getting to me), but if you or some1 else on here has time, could you kinda walk me thru that process? I do have a router--Google mesh, shhhh don't tell comcast ;-)--do you mean that if the family in the trailer buy a Roku they can then, access my comcast X1 box? (The trailer they're going to be living in will be about 100 feet away from my router.

mesh is great you could put a mesh unit out in the trailer if it can communicate with the other mesh devices. The Roku will connect to your home wifi (mesh is fine and perfectly acceptable to Comcast as are repeaters). If you have internet connectivity then a recent model (like Walmart sells) will work. being a smaller living space note if you get a roku with a headphone jack then the audio can be sent directly to a headphone so can't be heard by others. also any smart device or desk/laptop can stream the same channels as you have in the home. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!