Community Forum

Restart Show Command

New Poster

Restart Show Command

Got an email today from Xfinity about new X1 voice commands. The first one was:

“Restart This Program”

Happen to catch your favorite show or movie halfway through?
Use this voice command to restart any live TV program from
the beginning, even if you weren't recording.

I tried it on several channels and all it did was bring me back to the point where I switched to the channel, not to the beginning as the description says. What’s up? Does this work for anyone?

Official Employee

Re: Restart Show Command

It will only work if what you're trying to Restart is available On Demand. If you look in the guide does it have a circle with a triangle next to the title?
New Poster

I tid it as well. Was actually excited to see this feature. And disappointed when I missed the first few minutes of a program, because the previous channel I had on runs five minutes off, and it didn’t work. 

If you send out an email saying “restart any program from the beginning” you really should make it work for ANY program. If you can’t at least send out honest emails and say “restart programs you could’ve just watched on On Demand from the beginning.”

New Poster

"Happen to catch your favorite show or movie halfway through?
Use this voice command to restart any live TV program from
the beginning, even if you weren't recording."

This is the exact wording from the email. It says ANY show. That's not what's happening and what you're saying. They need to amend their email or make this happen. 

Regular Visitor

Yeah I new it was too good to be true, should know better than to expect the great feature from Comcast

New Poster

Yes, my thoughts exactly!
New Poster

You may want to put this into the corporate suggestion box. Emails and other Communications should be worded succinctly. People will try the things that you tell them they can do.
New Poster

The answer you've posted doesn't make sense to me.  The original notification I received said any program that is "live" can be restarted using the "Restart Show Command."  I don't expect a live show to be On Demand when it is showing "live".  Very confusing.

New Poster

Since this did not really answer the question,  is there any more info as to why the restart any live program voice command is not working? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Good intentions, bad information.  Hopefully we will see an alert with the proper explanation and detailed instruction.

New Poster

Law and Order, s14,e14 is on now, ION channel, is also in On Demand, there is no triangke circle and it will not restart when pressing the replay button.
New Poster

Based on many responses, this issue needs a lot of clarification with a lot of caveats as to when it works. We have experienced problems with channel 2 (CBS). Some mornings we can restart and see the prompt, other days we go to info/episodes and see the restart option there and yet other times can't restart at all?

Frequent Visitor

Restart show command completely stopped working.

I am brand new to Comcast. 

Had the 30 day period that I could cancel my contract.

Now after 30 days, My guide does not show any channels in the 1700 to 1800 range that are included and listed on my bill 

as channels included.

GUIDE>  Favorites or GUIDE> Free to ME Channels = nothing shows up above channel 1400.

I had a service man come in and see that it does not work and he said he never seen this problem before.

COMCAST charged me $40 for a useless service call.

That someone claimed I would see a credit. 

TODAY, the RESTART feature has completely dissapeared, extinct like the dinosaur.

NO channels have the triangle circle on the guide.

What is wrong with this COMCAST Company?

Tags (4)
Frequent Visitor

ALL MISSING circle with the Triangle channels on my Guide.

Dissapeared today

So impressed when I first saw this one month ago.

Now, my fav guide or Free to me guide fail to work right.

This X1 (?) system is so hard to surf channels  

Official Employee

Hello Betar, we have updated the firmware on your equipment and have made some changes to the "restart show command". This command is now done by voice guidance, all you have to do is press the voice icon on the remote and say "restart this program" and the show will restart from the beginning. For information on this change please click on this link