Community Forum

Reset XR2 R2 remote to mute cable box, not tv

New Poster

Reset XR2 R2 remote to mute cable box, not tv

Hi all,

Just got the X1 box and remote today. I didnt realize the tech paired the remote to my tv tho, and I have the sound coming from another source. Anyone know the procesure/code(s) needed to reset the remote to mute and control volume via the cable box, not the tv ?

Scott

New Poster

Re: Reset XR2 R2 remote to mute cable box, not tv

Can't anyone answer this?  I just got a new TV a couple of days ago and the volume coming thru the Comcast DTA's HDMI connection is unbearable: I cannot raise this TV's volume above "4" (it goes to 100!) without blasting the walls out. (No problem with the coax connection, though, going through my DVD recorder -- much more reasonable sound levels when they reach the TV.)

With my old TV, there was no problem leaving the DTA volume at its default maximum setting, so I programmed the remote to control the TV that way. Now, I can re-program the remote to control the new TV -- but I can't figure out any way to de-program it first, so I can lower the volume on the DTA before I program it to the new TV.

Late at night, even lowering my TV's volume to "1" is a bit loud for my sleeping neighbors.

There must be some way to re-set this stupid XR2 remote to its factory settings. Sheesh!

New Poster

Had the same problem and just fixed it after lots of net searching, wanted to pass this on so others can find the answer since this thread seems to be one of the first returns on Google.

To reset the remote back to cable box control, hold set up and when green enter code 9 8 1 . This worked for the Motorola HD-DTA-100 / digital adaptor.

New Poster

That did it.  Worked like a charm on mine too.  Many thanks.

New Poster

Thank you so much for the 981 code. We were on the phone with a Comcast rep for over an hour trying to get this resolved. Thankful for forums!!! Blessings.
New Poster

Kudos to you.. Im a comcast install tech and this little trick will help me at work. Honestly wish they would train us on these little things but unfortunately we sometimes have to do a little research on our own.

New Poster

Awesome, 981 worked!!

Expert

Magarisa wrote:

Awesome, 981 worked!!

must work for any 98(number). the published reset is 987 you know when successful because the power LED light color changes from green to Red when you press a DTA function button like channel up. Did you get the 'setup menu' for the dta when you press the xfinity button?

edit wait, 987 is to unpair the peanut remote from the HDMI DTA. so 981 removes the TV setting. noted and thank you

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Dude dude dude! THANK YOU!

New Poster

nope, i was wrong...not so happy now actually. this isn't the same like on the old sd dta's... with the xr2 remote and a udta small box now i can control the volume on the udta with the 981 code, however then the remote is unable to power on/off the tv, so now have to turn tv on/off with tv's remote, that's garbage...somehow on the old dta, i could control volume on the dta and still powered my tv on with the dta remote.

Expert

markmerta wrote:

nope, i was wrong...not so happy now actually. this isn't the same like on the old sd dta's... with the xr2 remote and a udta small box now i can control the volume on the udta with the 981 code, however then the remote is unable to power on/off the tv, so now have to turn tv on/off with tv's remote, that's garbage...somehow on the old dta, i could control volume on the dta and still powered my tv on with the dta remote.

might try some other codes for the TV brand. my uDTA does power on/off the tv as well as volume.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

how do i set comcast adapter remote to to turn off my tv.

Gold Problem Solver

This should help: https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/

frankc89 wrote:

how do i set comcast adapter remote to to turn off my tv.

New Poster

Awesome. ..thank you very much for your post. Reset code worked like charm.
New Poster

And 3 years later your sage advise is still working!! 

Reset my remote PERFECTLY!!  ThankYou