Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

New Poster

Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't plan on joining.  But for the last two months, Comcast has included the Netflix movies under my On Demand menu labled movies that are 'Free' and included in my subscription.  But unless I pay for Netflix these movies are not free and I cannot watch them.  Is there a way to remove the Netflix movies from the 'Free Movies' in the On Demand Section.  It seems like Comcast needs to make a slight programming change with their menu.  I have called and messaged with customer service a couple times with zero help.  Becoming frustrated.


Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Hello All,

 

To answer the questions regarding filtering your channels for "Free To Me" on the X1 Platform, this feature is operating as designed. Due to our agreement with Netflix, that is available to inform customers who are not Netflix subscribers that that particular program or movie is free on Netflix as well as allows those who are interested with the opportunity to sign up for the free trial if they are interested. I apologize for the inconvenience and will pass this feedback along to my leadership. 


All Replies
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I have the same problem ... waiting to see if any answers?&?
Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


Hokie30 wrote:

I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't plan on joining.  But for the last two months, Comcast has included the Netflix movies under my On Demand menu labled movies that are 'Free' and included in my subscription.  But unless I pay for Netflix these movies are not free and I cannot watch them.  Is there a way to remove the Netflix movies from the 'Free Movies' in the On Demand Section.  It seems like Comcast needs to make a slight programming change with their menu.  I have called and messaged with customer service a couple times with zero help.  Becoming frustrated.


did you do the free trial? if so, maybe it has not yet expired?

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

There is the answer that I got from Comcast on this same issue.
"The way I filter my movies I say "Show me free movies" in my X1 remote. Your requesting to filter movies not free to you. That was the reason I sent you the survey. Your requesting a custom search, which the X1 isn't setup that particular way at this time. -Will"

Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


mrigelwood2 wrote:

There is the answer that I got from Comcast on this same issue.
"The way I filter my movies I say "Show me free movies" in my X1 remote. Your requesting to filter movies not free to you. That was the reason I sent you the survey. Your requesting a custom search, which the X1 isn't setup that particular way at this time. -Will"


The person didn't give you valid information. I thought about this later, have you tried pressing the A button on the remote and selecting the reset Netflix button?

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Tried that and it did not work. Comcast broke the free search filter with including Netflix. This is garbage.

It has put the final nail in the coffin on a failing platform. Just waiting fot ATT Fiber to drop this garbage company once and for all.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I want to know how to remove Netflix from the menu too.
Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


LindenTree wrote:
I want to know how to remove Netflix from the menu too.

apps can't be added nor removed. the A button has a netflix reset function.

Valued Contributor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


Hokie30 wrote:

I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't plan on joining.  But for the last two months, Comcast has included the Netflix movies under my On Demand menu labled movies that are 'Free' and included in my subscription.  But unless I pay for Netflix these movies are not free and I cannot watch them.  Is there a way to remove the Netflix movies from the 'Free Movies' in the On Demand Section.  It seems like Comcast needs to make a slight programming change with their menu.  I have called and messaged with customer service a couple times with zero help.  Becoming frustrated.


The way they set it up is misleading.  For some reason comcast removed the words "Free with Netflix subscription". They also don't have a filter that can be applied to exclude Netflix content for non-subscribers of netflix. If I am in the free section, I expect to watch that content so for this reason they need to re-add the phrase "Free with Netflix subscription" or add a new filter.

Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


RadTV wrote:

Hokie30 wrote:

I'm not a Netflix subscriber and don't plan on joining.  But for the last two months, Comcast has included the Netflix movies under my On Demand menu labled movies that are 'Free' and included in my subscription.  But unless I pay for Netflix these movies are not free and I cannot watch them.  Is there a way to remove the Netflix movies from the 'Free Movies' in the On Demand Section.  It seems like Comcast needs to make a slight programming change with their menu.  I have called and messaged with customer service a couple times with zero help.  Becoming frustrated.


The way they set it up is misleading.  For some reason comcast removed the words "Free with Netflix subscription". They also don't have a filter that can be applied to exclude Netflix content for non-subscribers of netflix. If I am in the free section, I expect to watch that content so for this reason they need to re-add the phrase "Free with Netflix subscription" or add a new filter.


did you press the A button on remote and do the reset Neflix option?

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

It's ridiculous. If it says OnDemand > Free Movies, then it should be free (if it's free with a paid subscription to Netflix, it's not free). This is plain lying to the customer, and it's unacceptable, I'm pretty sure there's a legal case here. Maybe this is what I needed to discontinue my service with these guys, what a scam for the money I already pay for the amount I watch. This unscrupulous behavior is very telling of what they think of their customers. And pressing the A button has nothing to do with this issue, resetting Netflix is not the issue, why is that even being brought up.
Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


mattjc wrote:
It's ridiculous. If it says OnDemand > Free Movies, then it should be free (if it's free with a paid subscription to Netflix, it's not free). This is plain lying to the customer, and it's unacceptable, I'm pretty sure there's a legal case here. Maybe this is what I needed to discontinue my service with these guys, what a scam for the money I already pay for the amount I watch. This unscrupulous behavior is very telling of what they think of their customers. And pressing the A button has nothing to do with this issue, resetting Netflix is not the issue, why is that even being brought up.

from a post above your post: Did you press the A button on remote and do the reset Neflix option?

Valued Contributor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


Rustyben wrote:

mattjc wrote:
It's ridiculous. If it says OnDemand > Free Movies, then it should be free (if it's free with a paid subscription to Netflix, it's not free). This is plain lying to the customer, and it's unacceptable, I'm pretty sure there's a legal case here. Maybe this is what I needed to discontinue my service with these guys, what a scam for the money I already pay for the amount I watch. This unscrupulous behavior is very telling of what they think of their customers. And pressing the A button has nothing to do with this issue, resetting Netflix is not the issue, why is that even being brought up.

from a post above your post: Did you press the A button on remote and do the reset Neflix option?


Doesn't work in this scenerio because this a categorization issue. Comcast removed the phrase "Free with Netflix Subscription" and also removed the netflix logo from movie info pages. They decided instead to use the word Free and place the netflix content in the free section causing the user to believe that the content can be watched for free when that is not the case unless you have a subscription to netflix. They need to re-add the phrase and re-add the logo to the info pages or add a new filter.

Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I have escalated this thread's issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Official Employee

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Hi All, 

 

At this time, there is no way to remove Netflix from your X1 Box if you do not have a subscription. Netflix is integrated in the X1 box. 

Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All, 

 

At this time, there is no way to remove Netflix from your X1 Box if you do not have a subscription. Netflix is integrated in the X1 box. 


hi @ComcastKenF the customer is talking about an issue where he filters for free to me (guide) and gets results for Netflix included but he is not a Netflix subscriber. In other words Netfilx listings of movies for example are not free to him but are listed as free.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

This is decieving, and a misrepresentation of services aka false advertisement. If I'm looking through movies categorized as "Free", even though technically they are not "Free"  because a paid Comcast account is required, I should not be presented with movies that require an additional subscription service which is not free and not part of my existing paid Comcast account. I question the legality of this. I also wonder how many people have "Subscribed" to Netflix for the "free" month offer, and also those who forget to cancel that subscription and are subject to auto pay. This has unnethical and illegal written all over it. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Can the OnDemand Team please fix it? The Categorization is not correct.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I have been in communication with Xfinity since mid-November complaining of this problem. I was told that it would be fixed, but was given no estimate of time when it would be resolved. It is wrong that they are not offering customers a temporary solution (ie comp. us all Netflix while we wait) as the service that we all are paying for no longer works as previously. Service should not decline for paying, contracted customers because they made a third-party agreement with Netflix.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

It is very frustrating and you call to complain and act dumb like they don’t know what you are talking about
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I can only assume they PURPOSELY did this when developing the contract with Netflix.
This is such a BS move...but to be fair, it is in line with what I was just expect from Comcast (rated the most evil company on Reddit Smiley Happy.
The X1 platform is the only reason why I lowered myself to dealing with Comcast...this is such an annoying issue though, I guess I no longer have a reason to stay.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I've been trying to fix this issue since it started.   It's rediculous to search for something that is free, only to be told you have to buy yet another subscription.  After they continue to charge fees that they do not justify, this is the last straw for me as well.   Searching for other options in my area.   Posting here in the unlikely event that someone at ComCast eventually actually does something right and magically fixes the issue, then hopefully I'll be notified.

Official Employee

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Hello All,

 

To answer the questions regarding filtering your channels for "Free To Me" on the X1 Platform, this feature is operating as designed. Due to our agreement with Netflix, that is available to inform customers who are not Netflix subscribers that that particular program or movie is free on Netflix as well as allows those who are interested with the opportunity to sign up for the free trial if they are interested. I apologize for the inconvenience and will pass this feedback along to my leadership. 

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Now that I know Netflix is behind this inconvience, I am more determined to never sign up for Netflix.  I am going to the Frontier Cable store today to see if they have this same setup with Netflix.  If not, I am seriously considering dropping Xfinity because of how annoying Netfilx is in the "Free Movies" lineup.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I do NOT want Netflix!! I pay way too much for Comcast as it is let alone add another service. I am very upset that when I ask my remote for FREE movies a ton of Netflix movies show up in there. VERY misleading and unfair!!! Make a filter to filter OUT the Netflix choices or LABEL THEM upfront so I don't have to just get disappointed when I go to the Ways to Watch part only to find out it is Netflix only. Sick of all the garbage moves by Comcast (and constantly raising prices through the roof), I am considering looking for a different provider. Can't take it anymore and I have been with Comcast way back before it was even called Comcast.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

You can add my complete displeasure with this new policy. Free should be free based on the subscriptions you have already in place. With on going billing issue that they seem to screw up on a constant basis it's no wonder so many are cutting cords. I think it's time.....
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Another scam to get you to buy something you don't want. Add me to the list of unhappy customers. Time to start looking at alternatives again.  Can't just one company give you what you pay for instead of always trying to scam you into buying more?

Expert
Moved:

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I want Netflix removed from the free section of Xfinity. My children are allowed to watch free movies only and this is causing problems. Free movies on Netflix does not equate to free movies on Xfinity. It’s fraudulent and I’m reporting it to the Department of Consumer services if you don’t fix the issue I the next week or if I get charged for anything Netflix related. False advertising is very serious. I don’t care about your agreement with Netflix. The content isn’t “free”. Get it off my free sections of Xfinity.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I figure nothing will happen as a result of my post so I went ahead and reported the issue to the advertising section of the FTC to see if it’s legal.
Expert

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


Jladybug20 wrote:
I want Netflix removed from the free section of Xfinity. My children are allowed to watch free movies only and this is causing problems. Free movies on Netflix does not equate to free movies on Xfinity. It’s fraudulent and I’m reporting it to the Department of Consumer services if you don’t fix the issue I the next week or if I get charged for anything Netflix related. False advertising is very serious. I don’t care about your agreement with Netflix. The content isn’t “free”. Get it off my free sections of Xfinity.

If you aren't subscribed to Netflix, no one can actually watch it.  And if you are subscribed, it has a feature to restrict access.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Has Comcast ever helped resolve this issue?  My "free" movies just increased 300%... The problem?  They're all Netflix movies.  I too, don't have Netflix.  They added 4,000 movies to my "free" filter, and now it's virtually impossible to find movies which are actually available to me.  The folks in customer service don't want to listen to my problem.  Their "Tier 3" support... says nothing can be done.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Im a paying customer. Remove netflix from free movie list or i may find a lawyer to help you with that. It really sounds like a class action suit to me. Anyone else think so?
Frequent Visitor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I am not happy about the cost of the 'packages',  but since this is about Netflix, I pay for the service, yet the Netflix app is not functioning. It does not matter how I get to Netflix using the X1 app, I still get a black screen with audio and CC from the program I was viewing. Will this be resolved or will Comcast remove it and increase the price of their service to compensate for lost revenue?

Regular Visitor

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Your answer: "At this time, there is no way to remove Netflix from your X1 Box if you do not have a subscription." is  unsatisfactory. 

Since the majority of movies listed as "free" are now Netflix movies, any customer who doesn't sign up for Netflix cannot reasonably find movies that are truely free without clicking on each one to see if "free" means "only free with Netflix".  This reduces the value of free on-demand movies to non-Netflix customers to nearly zero because it is too hard to find the genuinely-free movies.

 

The argument that there is a Netfix free trial is a weak one.  If I sign up for the free trial and do not contunue on to a paid Netflix subscription, will all the Netflix movies then dissappear from my "free" movie listings?  ...or will they continue to appear as "free" despite the fact that I cannot watch them without paying?   If they continue to show as "free" and the Netflix free trial is not perpetually renewable, then this is clearly an unacceptable business practice.

 

Please provide better answers to the questions about Netflix and free on-demand movies.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I think the problem we all are having is: By blending Netflix movies in the "Free Movies" section (and the "Free Movies" filter of the "Premium Movies" section)...You have essentially just pervaded our method of movie selecting with several hundred ADVERTISEMENTS for another subscription service.

 

And what makes this even worse is that you know what your doing is WRONG!!!  How do we( the customer) know that you (the provider) know its wrong? Answer: Because you don't put any other Premium subscription movies that we don't pay for in these sections.  Starz, Showtime, HBO, Cinemax all have movies we can watch if we have subscriptions.  NONE of those show up in the "Free Movie" filters if we don't pay for them.

 

So Its time for you Comcast, to do the right thing and take the Netflix movies out of the "Free Movies" filters for those who don't pay for Netflix

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Ha! Good for you! I'd love to see the outcome.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Hello. I, too, would like to express my dislike of this feature. I called Xfinity and the representative told me that there is no way to remove the Netflix movies from the "free movies" on demand. She told me that the corporate dept does read these comments, so I should comment on here. If enough people show their displeasure, corporate will change the way it's presented on demand, or add a filter feature to remove the Netflix. So here I am. I don't like the Netflix movies in my "free movie" section. Thank you.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

VERY frustrated this has not been fixed.  I have tried Netflix.  I did not like it.  But ALL of these movies still show up in "Free Movies" section even after I enable the "Free To Me" filter.  Come on Comcast, this needs fixed.  It's extremely frustrating to see a movie show up in that list, but when I click on it, I see I can only watch it if I have a Netflix subscription.  If I wanted Netflix, I wouldn't pay for Comcast TV service.  

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

this feature should be re-designed

 

1) netflix movies should not should up as free movies, they are not free, ask netflix how they make money

2) netflix should be its own network on the x1 platform, accessible to netflix subscribers, not annoying to the rest of us paying customers

 

 

 

 

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'


@uptownsoul wrote:

I think the problem we all are having is: By blending Netflix movies in the "Free Movies" section (and the "Free Movies" filter of the "Premium Movies" section)...You have essentially just pervaded our method of movie selecting with several hundred ADVERTISEMENTS for another subscription service.

 

And what makes this even worse is that you know what your doing is WRONG!!!  How do we( the customer) know that you (the provider) know its wrong? Answer: Because you don't put any other Premium subscription movies that we don't pay for in these sections.  Starz, Showtime, HBO, Cinemax all have movies we can watch if we have subscriptions.  NONE of those show up in the "Free Movie" filters if we don't pay for them.

 

So Its time for you Comcast, to do the right thing and take the Netflix movies out of the "Free Movies" filters for those who don't pay for Netflix


Absolutely well said. They have also said that they're "investigating" and trying to find a solution when the solution is obvious: The only movies that should appear under "free to me" are those that are FREE to ME. Not movies that would be free if I paid for another service. By definition that is not free. Stop trying to strongarm costumers into paying for yet another service.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I hope that corporate or someone is reading this. It is more than aggravating to have to look through tons more movies that I cannot actually access just trying to find something we can watch. It wastes so much time and Im getting tired of seeing my daughters disappointment when we click on one just to find it is only with Netflix. I understand they may have to show it but there needs to be a filter option or I will be canceling my xfinity TV. Then I'll buy Netflix right out since it apparently offers so much.
New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Well I want to get a refund for all the time I have wasted, all the crying its caused from my kids not being able to watch a movie becaue it is on netflix.  Maybe since most of my searches seem to lead me to Netflix, i will do what I did for 5 years, and cancel this horrible, over priced cable box and just use netflix.  Hey Xfinity, guess what?  great way to  upset your customers and get us to cancel and move to a much cheaper service that apparently offers more programing than xfinity.  seriously, allow us to block netflix, or I will just cancel and get netflix and watch shows from there

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

This is not a good customer experience.  The search function is now time consuming and frustrating because of all the false positive results.  It does not make me want to buy Netflix.  But I am going to shop your services against other providers.  I have been happy with Comcast, but don't think your service offerring is much different than your competitors, and now that the experience has become frustrating especially for my kids, which means I get to hear them complain, I'm going to check out the competition who has the same services you do, and likely with very little difference.  

 

Looking for s better customer experience.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

BS!  How about your 'agreement' with your customers?  $$$ speak louder when you have a captive audience heh?

 

'operating correctly?'  According to Comcast, NOT to your customers.  Rip Off.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I agree.  Very frustrating.  REMOVE NETFLIX from FREE MOVIES OPTION.

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Please do mention it, I hate it. When I’m scanning through movies 90% seem to be on Netflix and that is not in fact free. It feels like bait and switch

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

Amen Hokie, its sooooo annoying!

New Poster

Re: Removing Netflix movies from 'Free Options'

I concur ... i do not like this and as a customer am quite perturbed