Community Forum

Remote stopped working

Highlighted
New Poster

Remote stopped working

My remote, XR11, for the infinity  thing stopped connecting with the box. It connects with the TV itself but not the cable box. Ive rebooted the box many times and have changed the remote's batteries. Is there an easy fix out there? 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Remote stopped working

Yes you need reset and "re-pair" the remote.
Expert

***VALIDATED BEST ANSWER AS OF 03/2019***

@petecricket60 wrote:

My remote, XR11, for the infinity  thing stopped connecting with the box. It connects with the TV itself but not the cable box. Ive rebooted the box many times and have changed the remote's batteries. Is there an easy fix out there? 

Adding... if you have installed fresh batteries but still no control, see the directions below.

Pair Your Xfinity Remote to Control Your Xfinity X1 TV Box

Your Xfinity remote can be paired with Xfinity X1 TV Boxes, allowing you to control the TV Box even when it is placed out of sight, such as in an entertainment center or in another room (up to 50 feet away). Xfinity remotes can be identified by the model number on the back panel or within the battery compartment of the remote.

**Note**: Once your remote is successfully paired with a TV Box, it will not control any other TV Box until paired with the other TV Box. Xfinity remotes can only be paired with one TV Box at a time.

To Pair an Xfinity Remote (With a Setup Button)

**Note**: These instructions apply to the following remote models: XR11 (Voice Remote), XR5 and XR2.

1. Make sure the remote batteries are installed and your TV and TV Box are powered on.
  2. Set the TV input to the input connected to the Xfinity X1 TV Box.
  3. Press the Setup button on your remote until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  4. Press the xfinity button on the remote. The LED will begin flashing green. (Note: When pairing an XR2 or XR5 remote to a DTA, you may need to press the xfinity button up to five times).
  5. Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.
    Spaces for entering the three-digit pairing code.  
  6. Once the on-screen pairing code is correctly entered, your remote is paired with the TV Box.

**Note**: If you do not see on-screen pairing instructions after pressing the xfinity button in step four, press the xfinity button again. You may need to press the xfinity button multiple times if there is more than one TV Box in range.

To Pair an Xfinity Remote (Without a Setup Button)

**Note**: These instructions apply to the XR15 Voice Remote.

1. Make sure the remote batteries are installed and your TV and TV Box are powered on.
  2. Set the TV input to the input connected to the Xfinity X1 TV Box.
  3. Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for 5 seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
  4. Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.
    Enter your three digit code. 
  5. Once the on-screen pairing code is correctly entered, your remote is paired with the TV Box.
  6. Once your remote is paired, follow the on-screen instructions to set up power, volume and input control for your TV.

**Note**: While the TV is on, you can also press and hold the xfinity and Mute buttons on the remote for five seconds until the remote light at the top changes from red to green, then follow the on-screen instructions to pair the remote to control your TV.

For more information about programming your remote see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-How-to-Program-Your-Xfinity-X1-Remote-for-TV-and/ta-p/2942...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you, just holding the setup button down for a little over 5 seconds seems to have cleared my remote and its working again.  The dog must have laid on the remote last night or something.

New Poster

THANK YOU!  I can't believe this worked!  I've been using the remote app on my phone for a couple of months which is subpar. Then my daughter took my phone since hers was being repaired. I tried another video on YouTube but that didn't work.  Your info did!! 

@Rustyben wrote:

@petecricket60 wrote:

adding... if you have installed fresh batteries but still no control, press and hold the remote's setup button until the LED on the remote changes from red to green. then type in the numbers 987 - that will put the remote in IR (infrared - must point remote toward the set top box) mode. channel up/down and pressing the OK button or Xfinity button will then cause the remote's LED to blink 'red' instead of green. Does the remote now work to control the set top box? if so, again press the setup button as before and when the red LED changes to green touch the Xfinity button and type the 3 numbers shown on the screen. That will put the set top box into RF mode again (aim anywhere, voice remote active). working normally now?

New Poster

Thank you so much.  Very rarely does the first suggestion work and yours did.  

New Poster

This worked perfect, thanks!

New Poster

THANK YOU!  I was screaming louder & louder into the voice command hoping it would reengage the remote.  Thank you for keeping my sanity from trying to navigate through the clunky  and ever-maddening Comcast toll free customer service number.  #Rustybengreat!

New Poster

my remote stopped working. held the set button down, but did not turn green.

Regular Contributor

Try unplugging your box for 10 seconds.

Silver Problem Solver

@jeanniefputnam wrote:

my remote stopped working. held the set button down, but did not turn green.

Have you tried new batteries?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

jeanniefputnam -- Were you able to get this fixed? I would be happy to assist you further if you need it. Please send me a private message verifying your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click "Send a message".

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!