Community Forum

Remote does not turn off the set top box

Frequent Visitor

Remote does not turn off the set top box

I self-installed my new Xfinity DVR with new universal XR11 remote.  Looks like a Samsung brand DVR - the power transformer on the power cable has the Samsung name on it.  I have the new XR11 remote as well.  I configured the remote to turn off the TV but the remote does not turn off the DVR.  I can turn the DVR off manually using the blue button and the DVR comes on to record just fine.  Perhaps there is some secret which is difficult to find.  I don't see why it should not work - unless it is not supposed to turn the DVR off.  My old remote did turn off the old DVR as expected.  Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Remote does not turn off the set top box

The remote will not turn the box off. X1 boxes are designed to remain on 24-7. The difference in power draw between on and standby is insignificant.

SmartDriver wrote:

I self-installed my new Xfinity DVR with new universal XR11 remote.  Looks like a Samsung brand DVR - the power transformer on the power cable has the Samsung name on it.  I have the new XR11 remote as well.  I configured the remote to turn off the TV but the remote does not turn off the DVR.  I can turn the DVR off manually using the blue button and the DVR comes on to record just fine.  Perhaps there is some secret which is difficult to find.  I don't see why it should not work - unless it is not supposed to turn the DVR off.  My old remote did turn off the old DVR as expected.  Thanks for your help.

Problem Solver

Hello SmartDriver,

Do you receive any message when you press the power button on your remote? Also, when you press the power button on the DVR which lights are lit on the front of the box? Thank you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

I receive no message on the TV when I press the All Power button on the remote.  This behavior is the same whether or not the DVR is recording (red light on).

(With the older DVR I replaced, I would get a message on the TV if the DVR was recording asking if I really wanted to turn the DVR off, which, as a result, did not turn the DVR off, the desired result.  Of course, the TV also turned off quickly and the message could be viewed by turning the TV on again.  This new DVR definitely behaves differently.)

When I press the power button on the DVR, the blue light around the power button either comes on or goes off.  With the remote, the blue light never goes off.

The remote power button always gets the same result as the remote TV button, i.e. the TV turns on or off.

It just seems to me that the All Power button on the remote should get the same result as the power button on the STB.  Isn't that what a remote is supposed to do?  If I walk over and turn off the blue light, the DVR still comes on later to record a scheduled program.  That is, apparently the blue light has nothing to do with being on or not being on standby.

BTW, the STB/DVR is an ARRIS AX013ANM and the remote is an XR11 v3-UTU.

Silver Problem Solver

Admin1

Hi SmartDriver -- The link provided by John gives you information on why the remote doesn't turn the box off. 

New Poster

Anybody who honestly thinks that the box's power usage when on and when off is about the same is not correct.

All you have to do is put your hand on the box when it is On, and feel the heat generated. When the box is off, this heat is NOT generated. 

That amount of heat can NOT be attributed to just 10% of the power usage. If so, this gobbles up WAAAAAY more than 10 cents per month to keep on all the time. Energy =- heat. No energy = no heat. I'm not saying it is not using ANY power when off, but it is not about the same as when it is on. 

The light on my box is not green but a bright light blue beacon. And I do not like this beacon on at night. I do not need a multiwattage nightlight!! 

If I'd known the box is never meant to turn off, I would have NEVER gone to X1. 

It takes no more than 2 seconds to come back up when I turn the power back on with the remote. the television and stereo take way longer! 

Gold Problem Solver

Sorry to disagree but the power consumption of many Comcast devices including X1 boxes has been tested and published. X1 boxes have extremely low power consumption to begin with and the difference between on and standby has been documented to be roughly 10-15%. One forum member calculated in difference in cost over the course of a year to be well under $1.00.

The Xi3 boxes run warn because the top of the box is the heat sink.

Suggest you do a Google search to find the power consumption facts.

WeebleSue wrote:

Anybody who honestly thinks that the box's power usage when on and when off is about the same is not correct.

All you have to do is put your hand on the box when it is On, and feel the heat generated. When the box is off, this heat is NOT generated. 

That amount of heat can NOT be attributed to just 10% of the power usage. If so, this gobbles up WAAAAAY more than 10 cents per month to keep on all the time. Energy =- heat. No energy = no heat. I'm not saying it is not using ANY power when off, but it is not about the same as when it is on. 

The light on my box is not green but a bright light blue beacon. And I do not like this beacon on at night. I do not need a multiwattage nightlight!! 

If I'd known the box is never meant to turn off, I would have NEVER gone to X1. 

It takes no more than 2 seconds to come back up when I turn the power back on with the remote. the television and stereo take way longer! 

Expert

adding...

power use link

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/set-top-box-energy-usage

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Silver Problem Solver

WeebleSue wrote:

So go into settings and turn down the brightness or turn the light off?

Frequent Visitor

I've found that lately when programming 30 sec advance, after hitting exit 3 times then 0030 then exit again it's necessary to go to the box and push the blue button off and then on again for the programming to take.