Community Forum

Remote does not turn off cable boxes.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Remote does not turn off cable boxes.

@NorthPt_X1_User wrote:
Absolutely incorrect. For the second time (mods deleted my first post in this section). There is a button on the X1 remote specifically for powering on/off the TV by itself, so if ever you were out of sync with the button that cycles everything on/off- all you need to do is hit the TV power button once. I find it interesting that nobody from Comcast has officially addressed this thread. Is there some other actual legitimate reason why the power button has been purposely changed so as not to power off the box? Out of sync is absolutely not acceptable for this inconvenience. It would seem pretty obvious that you have customers hear asking to have the ability to power off the X1 box turned back on- so either accommodate our request or explain why you cannot.

The initial explanation for not shutting off the box came from a Comcast rep.  If you want to spend time exploring the mulitiple threads on the forum I'm sure you can find it.  Keep in mind that the "all power" button on the remote will control an A/V receiver as well as a TV.

I think most newer X1 customers want to know why they can't turn off the box to be sure it's not malfunctioning.  I don't think a large number would prefer to turn it off once they hear the explanation.

Regular Contributor

I agree , I can figure out how to get it back in sync so I would at least like to see an option in the settings to  have the box turn off with the remote. If it's any consolation I tested the box both on and off and it used 33 watts off and 37 on. I realize this doesn't help people who hear audio if the box is on. Hopefully the next generation box will be more energy efficient.

New Poster

Same issue here, didn't realize there was a forum message on this topic.  Issue happens on both the DVR box and the terminal boxes as well.

It would have been nice if the technician at Comcast told me this was a known issue and was being taken care of instead of having me go through reboots, reparing, etc process, would have saved me 30 minutes of time, although I have read that other's have had technicians out, etc.

The problem with this box being on all the time as I understand it is that the hard disk will always be buffering the programming.

One thing Comcast has not addressed is what happens to the DVR data when the box has to be replaced, you always start over with an empty hard disk.  If the hard disk wears out because of constant use, it would be nice if it could be backed up and restored to a different box at some later point, then I wouldn't care if the box stays on the whole time.

Eric

Bronze Problem Solver

If you want prevent usage to the hard disk you would have to totally shut the box down - like when it's unplugged.  The main problem with doing that is the 5 minute bootup time for the X1 after being totally off.  It's similar to a desktop computer in this regard.  It's not an "instant on" device like the TV.

I doubt there's many users who would want to put up with that every time they sat down to watch TV.

Silver Problem Solver

People seem to be confusing "off" with "rebooting"

Off = power is off, similar to sleep or standby on a PC. Turns back on in a few seconds.

Valued Contributor

@John3758 wrote:

People seem to be confusing "off" with "rebooting"

Off = power is off, similar to sleep or standby on a PC. Turns back on in a few seconds.

The subject is confusing.  When you place your PC in sleep or standby, a standby power supply remains on.  Similarly, when you press the power button on the remote to turn your TV, receiver, BluRay player of similar device off, the device goes into "Standby", meaning that a Standby power supply remains on.  The standby power supply, typically 3.3VDC, is required to power the chips necessary to respond to commands from the input device.  When you select "Shutdown" on a PC, all power is turned off.  Unlike other devices, you have to press the power button on the front panel of an X1 box to place it in standby.  When you press the power button again it does a "hot" startup (partial reboot) as do other devices when you press the power button on the remote.  The only way to completely remove power from any of these devices except a PC is to unplug the power cord.  When you plug the cord back in, the device does a "cold" startup (complete reboot less the portion performed when you press the power button on the remote).

New Poster

There is a good reason that Comcast wants to leave the "Box" on, many do not realize that coming soon to most areas is "The Cloud".

With the X1 platform and future Xfinity DVR's more people will be expanding where they will be watching the programs they have recorded, whether its on your TV, you tablet , computer or smartphone.  To enable your ability to watch your recorded programs as you record to your DVR the program is also recording to the cloud. you can delete the program after you have watched it and if you have not used up all your space on your hard drive you can usually restore it and watch again.  With the cloud it won't matter, it will retrieve it just the same as if you were watching an on demand program and you will never know the difference. This is one of the reasons Xfinity Wi-Fi hot spots are rapidly expanding across the country.

I do not work for Comcast, I just happened to get a tech that had this knowledge when he replaced my X1 box after many bugs in the system that kept bugging me.

Tex

New Poster

I was told the reason for the firmware update that disables the all off turning the box off is;  they do nightly updates and they need the box's to be on, otherwise when tyou turned your tv on in the morning it would have to update befor you could watch anything and that could take as much as 10 minutes. hope this helps

Expert

@Tex_in_Houston wrote:

There is a good reason that Comcast wants to leave the "Box" on, many do not realize that coming soon to most areas is "The Cloud".

With the X1 platform and future Xfinity DVR's more people will be expanding where they will be watching the programs they have recorded, whether its on your TV, you tablet , computer or smartphone.  To enable your ability to watch your recorded programs as you record to your DVR the program is also recording to the cloud. you can delete the program after you have watched it and if you have not used up all your space on your hard drive you can usually restore it and watch again.  With the cloud it won't matter, it will retrieve it just the same as if you were watching an on demand program and you will never know the difference. This is one of the reasons Xfinity Wi-Fi hot spots are rapidly expanding across the country.

I do not work for Comcast, I just happened to get a tech that had this knowledge when he replaced my X1 box after many bugs in the system that kept bugging me.

Tex

I would caution that most "install" techs don't even know ( except for downstream levels ) what to even do with X1 nor are they informed as to what's coming....   Examples of this are the many forum posters who have stated that the Tech said this and the Tech said that, when in fact none of those things were available to the end user in that area....

It is best for CC to make any claims to CLoud based services and where they are currently working or planned to work....

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I assume the reason they made it this way was that the boxes would always be on and you would always be reported as "watching a channel".  Thus, they can tell the networks or advertisers, "look, we have a ton more people watching your channel/show" and can charge them more for their commercials/programming/contracts.  

Expert

@malygos wrote:

I assume the reason they made it this way was that the boxes would always be on and you would always be reported as "watching a channel".  Thus, they can tell the networks or advertisers, "look, we have a ton more people watching your channel/show" and can charge them more for their commercials/programming/contracts.  

I wouldn't go that far.... any statistical gathering can be done on the back end....

Keeping power on the boxes allows them to be "ON" within seconds instead of having to wait for an acquisition event ( 5-8 minutes)....

Think of it like Microsoft..... how long does it take for your WIndows7 computer to startup and be ready for input and communication?

Good luck!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I would like mine to turn off since these worthless remotes can't turn off onkyo receivers at least then I wouldn't hear the channel it's on. Now I have to either use a second remote or turn volume all the way down. I thought I was upgrading but, now I can't control my sound bars and only half of the receivers.
Gold Problem Solver

Your Onkyo receiver has a setting that will turn off the audio. It's a "pass through" setting. You just need to find it...

@Ifonlyxfinity__ wrote:
I would like mine to turn off since these worthless remotes can't turn off onkyo receivers at least then I wouldn't hear the channel it's on. Now I have to either use a second remote or turn volume all the way down. I thought I was upgrading but, now I can't control my sound bars and only half of the receivers.

Problem Solver

@Ifonlyxfinity__ wrote:
I would like mine to turn off since these worthless remotes can't turn offonkyo receivers at least then I wouldn't hear the channel it's on. Now I have to either use a second remote or turn volume all the way down. I thought I was upgrading but, now I can't control my sound bars and only half of the receivers.

I know this sounds like A mad scientist talking , but you could just press pause on a dvr recording...it will pause for the rest of the day.

Frequent Visitor

I'll have to see how much heat that generates but could be a temp solution if it doesn't get too hot at idle all day.
Gold Problem Solver

Hmmm lets see here... My 3 Arris X1 DVRs are on 24/7 yet I have never heard the fan turn on except for during initial boot up. That would suggest heat over a long term is not an issue.

FYI, cable boxes draw almost as much power when they are turned off as they do when they are turned on...

@Ifonlyxfinity__ wrote:
I'll have to see how much heat that generates but could be a temp solution if it doesn't get too hot at idle all day.

Frequent Visitor

Heat on the audio receiver
Problem Solver

What about a universal remote? That might be a solution.
Frequent Visitor

Great idea...I used to love my harmony...comcast send me 5! 2400 a year is deserving of it!
Frequent Visitor

So I thought I had recalled it won't stay paused and, i wanted to test it. I put it on pause when you suggested it. It just un paused itself...so bummer. The receiver also was hot so it generated a lot of heat so when not in use I need to power it down. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Problem Solver

It will stay paused all day on "saved" shows. Wasn't aware that there was people still watching live tv...
New Poster

Same problem here cant turn off cable box audio plays all night lol i should have to turn audio reciever off.

Silver Problem Solver

@thetireguy39 wrote:

Same problem here cant turn off cable box audio plays all night lol i should have to turn audio reciever off.

When I use the power button on my X1 remote, it turns off the receiver and the TV.  I think they are using something like DLNA or some other alphabet soup thing.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

For me, giving me an ability to enable, disable this, would be optimal. Also, put a specific X1 power button on the remote? 

If having an option will confuse to many user, add a help screen to that option, explaining why it may be a bad idea perhaps?

Problem Solver

@Greg_T wrote:

For me, giving me an ability to enable, disable this, would be optimal. Also, put a specific X1 power button on the remote? 

If having an option will confuse to many user, add a help screen to that option, explaining why it may be a bad idea perhaps?

Just to let you know, Comcast will tell you that the box needs to stay on for updates overnight. They will update at night, but they will also update when you plug it back in as well. The reason the remote is set this way is for the protection of 99% of the customer base that does not realize if you power it down than the thing wont record, sounds silly right? Well could you imagine the calls they would get if a customers stuff did'nt record.

If you think that it will save you money by unplugging it(which it wont) than unplug the thing. I would not hold out for the thing to get reconfigured anytime soon to allow power down the device. Even when I hook my keyboard up to the box and hit ctrl+alt+del

it just reboots, not stay off!

Valued Contributor

Definitely apologize about the confusion there. The X1 boxes are designed to stay on, the firmware updates that are sent out periodically go through a lot smoother when you keep them on. Also the boxes themselves will power cycle to refresh the experience as well as catch any updates that are able to pass through. (You may notice the box cycle late at night/morning). The power save option within the settings is an option you can try. Just for software purposes they are designed to stay powered on. If need be you can turn it off manually just by pressing the front panel power button. 

Gold Problem Solver

So is the official statement on this issue Amber? Can we quote you this going forward in order to avoid repeat and duplicate threads?

@ComcastAmber wrote:

Definitely apologize about the confusion there. The X1 boxes are designed to stay on, the firmware updates that are sent out periodically go through a lot smoother when you keep them on. Also the boxes themselves will power cycle to refresh the experience as well as catch any updates that are able to pass through. (You may notice the box cycle late at night/morning). The power save option within the settings is an option you can try. Just for software purposes they are designed to stay powered on. If need be you can turn it off manually just by pressing the front panel power button. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, it is true that they are designed to stay powered on. 

New Poster

Well, but even the power button puts it into standby, not power off.. so technically if I set my standby times to 2h (which is what I think I did), I do nothing that would prevent updates.....

Power savings is one, reason 2, my TV powers on when it feels the hdmi cable go live... so having the power work from remote would still be desireble... as well as supporting, whatever that mode is, where some remote functions go through the HDMI...

But I am ok as is.. Thx for a reply.

GT

Problem Solver

@NorthPt_X1_User wrote:
Absolutely incorrect. For the second time (mods deleted my first post in this section). There is a button on theX1 remote specifically for powering on/off the TV by itself, so if ever you were out of sync with the button that cycles everything on/off- all you need to do is hit the TV power button once. I find it interesting that nobody from Comcast has officially addressed this thread. Is there some other actual legitimate reason why the power button has been purposely changed so as not to power off the box? Out of sync is absolutely not acceptable for this inconvenience. It would seem pretty obvious that you have customers hear asking to have the ability to power off theX1 box turned back on- so either accommodate our request or explain why you cannot.

I can assure that the rdk firmware has no option for it! Even when I hook my keyboard up to it and power it down that way it boots right back up! It was designed this way for good reasons! It cuts down on truck rolls and also calls to customer service!

BTW: are you in north port Florida?

Valued Contributor

As stated earlier these x1 boxes are designed to stay powered on. If need be you can always feel free to press the front panel power button to turn the box off. In whatever state the television is in as long as the box has power it will allow the necessary updates and firmware to pass when they need to. 

Frequent Visitor

@gotpizza wrote:

@Greg_T wrote:

Just to let you know, Comcast will tell you that the box needs to stay on for updates overnight. They will update at night, but they will also update when you plug it back in as well. The reason the remote is set this way is for the protection of 99% of the customer base that does not realize if you power it down than the thing wont record, sounds silly right? Well could you imagine the calls they would get if a customers stuff did'nt record.

If you think that it will save you money by unplugging it(which it wont) than unplug the thing. I would not hold out for the thing to get reconfigured anytime soon to allow power down the device. Even when I hook my keyboard up to the box and hit ctrl+alt+del

Amber, is that true?? That if the xOne is OFF it will not record programs scheduled on the dvr?? to me this all really seems like a techological step BACK from the previous HD/DVR's. I now the previous ones would stop recording if you turned it off in the middle of a record session, but to not pick up scheduled ones if off seems regressive!! Please advise!!

Gold Problem Solver

What is so hard to understand here? Leave the doggone thing turned on. A Comcast employee just said earlier in this thread that X1 boxes are designed to stay on 24-7.

Let's move on!!!

@J_Lane501 wrote:

@gotpizza wrote:

@Greg_T wrote:

Amber, is that true?? That if the xOne is OFF it will not record programs scheduled on the dvr?? to me this all really seems like a techological step BACK from the previous HD/DVR's. I now the previous ones would stop recording if you turned it off in the middle of a record session, but to not pick up scheduled ones if off seems regressive!! Please advise!!

Expert

@J_Lane501 wrote:

@gotpizza wrote:

@Greg_T wrote:

Wish i had an amp clamp to get actual reading of the 120vac amperage. The power must be very low now. Not more than a few watts even while playing a recording for last 2 hours. Digital laser thermometer reads 4 degrees warmer than ambient wall behind box (82 F)  and i have a dvr on top of the pace X1 box. Not believing the digital thermometer, I put my hand between the Sony DVD player and the X1 box under it. No heat coming from the X1 whatsoever. Compare that to the scientific atlanta legacy DVR you could cook eggs on. I can't hear the drive running but imagine it is a green drive (spins down after a period of non-use). I think with the LED lamp and such it is pretty efficient. I'm not sure that this unit even has a fan in it. Wonder if the pace box is energy star.

Problem Solver

Unplugging a companion box will not stop a recording on your DVR.
Valued Contributor

Hey there, the only box that needs to stay on to support the recordings is the main box, you can power off the companions if you like. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAmber wrote:

Hey there, the only box that needs to stay on to support the recordings is the main box, you can power off the companions if you like. 

I fully undersand the X1 records standalone, but  when User GotPizza said "The reason the remote is set this way is for the protection of 99% of the customer base that does not realize if you power it down than the thing wont record, sounds silly right? Well could you imagine the calls they would get if a customers stuff did'nt record", was he was correct?  If I have scheduled recordings and I turn the box off prior to them starting, will the box  NOT automatically start-up and perform those recordings as all the HD/DVR;s in the past have performed?? I am aware that if you shut previous boxes down mid recording that the current recording session would terminate. You would always get a message warning of that action from the HD/DVR. I cannot imagine that the COMCAST embedded firmware/software would regress in terms of that functionality, so I am asking the question. Regardless of your response to this, it looks like I will leave the unit on but I wonder in case of power outages etc. where the box is turned off will we not perform all scheduled recording until someone turns the box on again!!??

Valued Contributor

Correct. The box needs power to perform and complete the scheduled recordings. 

Valued Contributor

if the box is powered off or loses power for some reason it will most likely terminate the recording you would have to double check that it did not cancel. 

Gold Problem Solver

I have unplugged and hard rebooted my Arris X1 DVR during recordings. Not only does it start recording again once it is fully rebooted, it attempts to recover some of the program it missed. It's been a while since I tried it but it surprised me when I noticed it.

@ComcastAmber wrote:

if the box is powered off or loses power for some reason it will most likely terminate the recording you would have to double check that it did not cancel. 

Expert

@J_Lane501 wrote:

@ComcastAmber wrote:

I fully undersand the X1 records standalone, but  when User GotPizza said "The reason the remote is set this way is for the protection of 99% of the customer base that does not realize if you power it down than the thing wont record, sounds silly right? Well could you imagine the calls they would get if a customers stuff did'nt record", was he was correct?  If I have scheduled recordings and I turn the box off prior to them starting, will the box  NOT automatically start-up and perform those recordings as all the HD/DVR;s in the past have performed?? I am aware that if you shut previous boxes down mid recording that the current recording session would terminate. You would always get a message warning of that action from the HD/DVR. I cannot imagine that the COMCAST embedded firmware/software would regress in terms of that functionality, so I am asking the question. Regardless of your response to this, it looks like I will leave the unit on but I wonder in case of power outages etc. where the box is turned off will we not perform all scheduled recording until someone turns the box on again!!??

Perhaps you could get a power strip or a remote control wall switch so that you can switch of power at will of the X1 DVR. I pointed out elsewhere that the new pace X1 blue power light generates virtually no heat even while playing and recording programs.

Valued Contributor

Cool, some cases I've heard it will continue, we get a lot of calls that recordings were terminated so it is a grey area, but definitely double check it once you get power. In general though the box needs to stay powered on anyway.

Problem Solver

Rusty posted.....Perhaps you could get a power strip or a remote control wall switch so that you can switch of power at will of the X1 DVR. I pointed out elsewhere that the new pace X1 blue power light generates virtually no heat even while playing and recording programs.

Rusty I can assure that the pace blue light creates a ton of heat!!! The arris creates less heat, I would assume it is because it has guts in it!

Problem Solver

reply to J_Lane501 

If the question you are asking is if you are not at home and the power goes out will the box come back on once power comes back? Yes it will given that the box was already on ! Most of the time it will continue recording once powered back!

Frequent Visitor

Everyone seems to be making definite assumptions about how this x1 unit will perform, while Amber, the Comcast rep is stating that there are STILL grey areas to them. The former HD/DVR's(Motorola etc.) had at least two modes. When plugged in, standby ready to record which it would do perfectly and full-on viewer interactive mode. There may have been a third one where it was full off/but powered if no recordings were scheduled. It appears this unit does NOT have that standy-ready to record mode and has to be full on to do ANYTHING!! While this may be somehow a NEW more effiecient technologically advanced way to perform these operations, I do not see it just yet but will accept the reality that the unit must be FULL powered on to do ANYTHING!! However the new screens and interactive features are killer and I am enjoying them!!   

Problem Solver

@J_Lane501 wrote:

Everyone seems to be making definite assumptions about how this x1 unit will perform, while Amber, the Comcast rep is stating that there are STILL grey areas to them. The former HD/DVR's(Motorola etc.) had at least two modes. When plugged in, standby ready to record which it would do perfectly and full-on viewer interactive mode. There may have been a third one where it was full off/but powered if no recordings were scheduled. It appears this unit does NOT have that standy-ready to record mode and has to be full on to do ANYTHING!! While this may be somehow a NEW more effiecient technologically advanced way to perform these operations, I do not see it just yet but will accept the reality that the unit must be FULL powered on to do ANYTHING!!

I am stating fact. There is standby mode on the x1 box. it is just called something else now( power save). The issue with the power save mode is there has been many customers having issues with it not resuming/remote wont work when this mode is used. I have not heard of something not recording during power save mode, but if you have to unplug it cause it would not resume than something might not record!

I am not here to go against what Amber is saying, but I can only speak of what I see and members on the forum see!

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate the feedback and observations that all are making. It is helping me to come to grips with using the new platform. However when we still have to use words like "might not' or "most of the time" to report factual observations, the platform has BUGS, which in my view diminishes or removes features previously available!! That's all I'm saying or trying to resolve by questioning!! Mine will stay on until further notice!! I may or may not try the power save feature. Because of your reporting, I'm opting towards no at this time!! Thanks and PEACE!!

@gotpizza wrote:

@J_Lane501 wrote:

Everyone seems to be making definite assumptions about how this x1 unit will perform, while Amber, the Comcast rep is stating that there are STILL grey areas to them. The former HD/DVR's(Motorola etc.) had at least two modes. When plugged in, standby ready to record which it would do perfectly and full-on viewer interactive mode. There may have been a third one where it was full off/but powered if no recordings were scheduled. It appears this unit does NOT have that standy-ready to record mode and has to be full on to do ANYTHING!! While this may be somehow a NEW more effiecient technologically advanced way to perform these operations, I do not see it just yet but will accept the reality that the unit must be FULL powered on to do ANYTHING!!

I am stating fact. There is standby mode on the x1 box. it is just called something else now( power save). The issue with the power save mode is there has been many customers having issues with it not resuming/remote wont work when this mode is used. I have not heard of something not recording during power save mode, but if you have to unplug it cause it would not resume than something might not record!

I am not here to go against what Amber is saying, but I can only speak of what I see and members on the forum see!