Community Forum

Remote Not Working?

Contributor

Remote Not Working?

Anyone else having an issue with their remote not working? After trying to pair remote with X1 DVR box, replacing with new batteries, I still can not get the remote to work. Each time I push the set up, wait for the light to turn from red to green, then the Xfinity button, I only get to the Xfinity set up menu. Tried to exit and nothing. Tried the "unplug and wait 30 seconds" trick and nothing. MY question... Is Comcast having yet another issue with the X1? OH... tried changing remotes as well. What's up with this???

Problem Solver

Re: Remote Not Working?

catkinson2008 wrote:

Anyone else having an issue with their remote not working? After trying to pair remote with X1 DVR box, replacing with new batteries, I still can not get the remote to work. Each time I push the set up, wait for the light to turn from red to green, then the Xfinity button, I only get to the Xfinity set up menu. Tried to exit and nothing. Tried the "unplug and wait 30 seconds" trick and nothing. MY question... Is Comcast having yet another issue with the X1? OH... tried changing remotes as well. What's up with this???

You need to hit the Xfinity button a few times for the on-screen pairing guide appears.  It usually comes up for me around the 5th or 6th time.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

THX. But that isn't the answer. The screen freezes after clicking set up then Xfinity buttons. I've tried clicking more than once. I happen to think this is another issue with X1. As I stated... I've gone as far as changing remotes to see if my "newer" remote was broken. Not the issue there!

Expert

catkinson2008 wrote:

THX. But that isn't the answer. The screen freezes after clicking set up then Xfinity buttons. I've tried clicking more than once. I happen to think this is another issue with X1. As I stated... I've gone as far as changing remotes to see if my "newer" remote was broken. Not the issue there!

press channel up button. what color(s) does the remote's power light 'blink'? if red only, not paired and must be within line of sight to the 'eye' on the x1 equipment. If Green only then it is paired and working with 'a' particular X1 box. to verify it is working for that x1 box press up channel button on remote while looking on right side of clock - does the LED light up on the x1 display (assuming DVR here)? not sure on satellite what you will see. Otherwise if you see Green and Red power LED lights blink when pressing and releasing the UP channel button that means that remote is paired to an x1 box but does not get a signal back of that box (maybe swapped remote with another box?) to unpair a 'green flashing' remote use code set sequence 987 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

Light is green when clicking channel button. Seems the issue has been fixed. For now. Pretty weird huh? Nither remote controlers worked before. Even with new batteries. Thx for your advice.

New Poster

It's not just you. It happens to us quite frequently and the only thing that works is waiting. I go through this at least 3 days a week. Switching to the X1 platform was a mistake in my book.
Expert

Nik76 wrote:
It's not just you. It happens to us quite frequently and the only thing that works is waiting. I go through this at least 3 days a week. Switching to the X1 platform was a mistake in my book.

if you have access to a smart phone when remote is not working try the xfinity X1 Remote app. When (rarely) my remote is just being ignored due to some server issue the phone app's remote works fine and fast. I know it is overkill when you just need a remote but keeps you working while they fix things.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

This is happened to us three nights in a row now...
Expert

tranceFusion wrote:

hi. What happened three nights in a row?

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

tranceFusion wrote:

The remote stops working for a while (an hour or so?).. then it just starts working again.

It seems to be an x1 server side issue.. The remote still controls the TV just fine, rebooting doesn't fix it, and whenever it comes back to life it runs through all the queued up commands that you've been mashing on the remote..

Expert

tranceFusion wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

tranceFusion wrote:

The remote stops working for a while (an hour or so?).. then it just starts working again.

It seems to be an x1 server side issue.. The remote still controls the TV just fine, rebooting doesn't fix it, and whenever it comes back to life it runs through all the queued up commands that you've been mashing on the remote..

when your actual remote won't work try the smartphone xfinity X1 Remote app - often it continues to work since it it cloud to cloud not your box to cloud connection (and it is backlit). Remember to verify you are controlling the x1 device you intend to (correct 'room') hit gear on remote to select device to control.