Community Forum

Remote Not Elder-Friendly

New Poster

Remote Not Elder-Friendly

I just want to register a complaint about the new X1 remote control device. The very small design with extremely small "buttons" (or whatever you call the pressure sensitive points that replaced the buttons on the older remotes) is not at all "friendly" to older people who have a little more difficulty seeing, or especially anyone with arthritic fingers. For example, the power on/off "button" is so tiny and placed so close to the change-channel button that it is almost completely impossible for my arthritic fingers to manage at all. I finally had to dig out an old remote control of a couple years back that I still had in order to be able to use the X1 at all.

Expert

Re: Remote Not Elder-Friendly

@Brutus64 wrote:

I just want to register a complaint about the new X1 remote control device. The very small design with extremely small "buttons" (or whatever you call the pressure sensitive points that replaced the buttons on the older remotes) is not at all "friendly" to older people who have a little more difficulty seeing, or especially anyone with arthritic fingers. For example, the power on/off "button" is so tiny and placed so close to the change-channel button that it is almost completely impossible for my arthritic fingers to manage at all. I finally had to dig out an old remote control of a couple years back that I still had in order to be able to use the X1 at all.

there is a unique remote available that might solve your problem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

That is the absolute truth.  I am trying to find a suitable remote for my arthritis-limited father, and there are not a lot of options.  I am surprised that Comcast isn't mandated to be ADA-compliant with their products.  

Diamond Problem Solver

This may be what your father could use
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/large-button-remotes

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

I followed your link and chatted with an Xfinity rep and asked for one of the large button remotes. He did not speak english very well and I don't think he understood what I was asking for because he sent me the same remote I already have.

Diamond Problem Solver

I’ve escalated it up to a colleague who will take all your information and get you exactly what you need

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello all,

@OldTVGuide - If you would like to order a large button remote, please contact our Accessibility Support Center. You can contact them between the hours of 8:00 AM and 12:00 AM ET, seven days a week, by:

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!