Community Forum

Remote Control

Expert

Re: voice remote

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

adding.. 

I have 3 STBs with voice remotes. When the batteries get down to 40% i change to fresh batteries on the other 2 STBs and use them 'up' in mine until they are too low to work. What I have found is that as the batteries decline, first the voice remote function quits (I'm waiting now for this set to fade enough to cause loss of voice). Then I can confirm that the LED does change to red and quits working then. The voice remote works regularly for a long time after the voice function quits. At 20% as shown on the about screen my battery load tester still shows in the green area but almost in the yellow. checker is a good dedicated under-load meter.

What does that have to do with the OPs question? Please don't add unnecessary info.

due to board updates limiting notifications temporarily, I didn't see this until today. post 737 describes the xr11's actions as the batteries decrease. I added to another answer how to use up expensive alkaline batteries and offered to test the remote 'color' LED change when the batteries run down on my most used remote. (currently at 10% voice works fine so far).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Programming 30 Second Skip on XR11 Voice Remote

How do you change it back to five minutes if you chose?

Gold Problem Solver

EXIT EXIT EXIT 0500

@Shendry1983 wrote:

How do you change it back to five minutes if you chose?

New Poster

Whether it makes sense or not, it works! I lost the function after doing a system refresh. 3x exit 0030 did nothing, so I tried the above method of resetting the remote and restarting the X1 box (which I suspect is what enabled the code to set). Reset for my TV and receiver, and it worked like a charm.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Remote Control

I have the Xfinity XG1-A box, and have a rather complex setup using a Sharp 3D TV, Yamaha Receiver, 2 DVD Players (Oppo & Sony BluRay), and several other devices,  but the reason for this thread is that I use Harmony 880 computer programmable with custom LCD screen to make control tremendously easier using single remotes to control everything, and replicate the process across remotes for each of use (my wife & I). 

I have all devices  in a closet behind the wall mounted TV, with IR Repeaters connected to each device.  The setup is flawless, except the NEW X1 Box FREEZES on multiple IR commands like PAGING UP THROUGH GUIDE, or ANY MULTIPLE key entries like several arrow keys in a row.   I originally had Arris cable box programmed, so I reprogrammed just in case it was the remote, but its not !

Is there a newer X1 box that fixes these issues ?

Sincerely,

John in Chicago

Gold Problem Solver

There is a couple different things going on here. Replacing the DVR won't solve the issue because it would appear all X1 DVRs have the same problem.

X1 DVRs do not work well with IR repeaters because the IR receiving window on the X1 DVRs is easily flooded or over loaded. I solved the problem by doing two things. I reprogrammed my Harmony 900 remotes to send the cable box only one "repeat". When you press a button on a remote, you may press the button only once, but the remote usually repeats the command as many as five times. I have found the X1 DVRs work better when then Harmony sends only one repeat. I have never tried 0 repeats.

But more importantly, you need to reduce the amount of IR signal strength getting to the IR receiver on the X1 DVR. I found blocking 80 to 90% of the IR receiver window with black tape made a HUGE improvement. This picture is an Arris V1 DVR. The Arris V3 DVR has the same problem. The IR receiving window on the Arris V3 DVR is a couple inches to the right.

Another solution is to find a connecting block for your IR repeater kit that has variable output levels for the emitter outputs or find an IR receiver eye that has variable sensitivity.

Arris Tape Job.jpg

@CPUjohn525 wrote:

I have the Xfinity XG1-A box, and have a rather complex setup using a Sharp 3D TV, Yamaha Receiver, 2 DVD Players (Oppo & Sony BluRay), and several other devices,  but the reason for this thread is that I use Harmony 880 computer programmable with custom LCD screen to make control tremendously easier using single remotes to control everything, and replicate the process across remotes for each of use (my wife & I). 

I have all devices  in a closet behind the wall mounted TV, with IR Repeaters connected to each device.  The setup is flawless, except the NEW X1 Box FREEZES on multiple IR commands like PAGING UP THROUGH GUIDE, or ANY MULTIPLE key entries like several arrow keys in a row.   I originally had Arris cable box programmed, so I reprogrammed just in case it was the remote, but its not !

Is there a newer X1 box that fixes these issues ?

Sincerely,

John in Chicago

Most Valued Poster

The past 3 mornings my remote unpairs from my box & tv. I have to re-pair remote with box & tv.

What could be causing this?

Asking for a friend.
Gold Problem Solver

Similar threads running on this issue. Stop at a Comcast service center and grab a new remote. They give them away for free.

@adammusic22 wrote:
The past 3 mornings my remote unpairs from my box & tv. I have to re-pair remote with box & tv.

What could be causing this?

Asking for a friend.

Most Valued Poster

Cool thanks.

Remember my remote top left Tv on/off button wasnt working? Im chalking that up to a bad remote too.

I didnt hear about a bum remote before this. I have like 10 and theyre all good.

Does technicians driving around with the remote and the touch sensitive lights lightinh up have anything to do with them screwing up. Does that eat up battery?
Expert

@adammusic22 wrote:
Cool thanks.

Remember my remote top left Tv on/off button wasnt working? Im chalking that up to a bad remote too.

I didnt hear about a bum remote before this. I have like 10 and theyre all good.

Does technicians driving around with the remote and the touch sensitive lights lightinh up have anything to do with them screwing up. Does that eat up battery?

I've yet to get a reply to anyone having this issue re: "forgetting' setup. If you have a remote that has forgotten the setup overnight (likely a set top box problem in firmware reset) the test will be to hit the up or down arrow to change channel and on fail to change note the LED flash(es) on the remote itself. does it just flash "red" or flashes two colors (example "red" and "green").

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

Rick said it was just a bad remote. I told them to swap out the remote first & see if it fixes it
Frequent Visitor

still no 10 second skip for xfinity tv remote after so many years

The xfinity tv remote needs to have a 10 second skip for sports. 30 second skip is way too much to skip in between pitches in a baseball game and it's sometimes to much for a football gm. You did have the ten second skip on the Motorola dvr but for some reason you took that option out.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: still no 10 second skip for xfinity tv remote after so many years

@jwwe11 wrote:
The xfinity tv remote needs to have a 10 second skip for sports. 30 second skip is way too much to skip in between pitches in a baseball game and it's sometimes to much for a football gm. You did have the ten second skip on the Motorola dvr but for some reason you took that option out.

I'm able to do a form of slo-mo if I rewind back and then play the action.  I'm not at my X1 box, so I can't give details.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: still no 10 second skip for xfinity tv remote after so many years

adding...

x1 slow mo (1/2 speed). pause at point you want slow motion and hit the >> one time..

to see slower use cell phone to video the segment and then can frame by frame toggle even the frames.

Frequent Visitor

Voice Remote customize skip MORE than 30 seconds and less than 5 minutes?

Are the new voice remotes for X1 DVR's customizable?  Can I re-purpose the "C" button which I will never use?

I need a skip ahead longer than 30 seconds because commercials are mostly three and a half minutes.  On the older remotes with DVR boxes not on X1 you could program a 30 second skip and then make a macro button to automatically do the 30 second skip seven times to get a three and a half minute skip by pressing ONE button.  How can this be done for the new voice remotes that came with my X1 DVR?

I have tried the EXIT, EXIT, EXIT, 0330 and it does not work.  A 30 second skip requires pressing seven times and that can cause playback problems if you don't press perfectly.  It won't retain seven presses so you have to do it slowly.

If I skip forward FIVE MINUTES, then you have to press the 15 second REPLAY six more times to go back a minute and a half.   TOO many button presses and time wasting.  I may have to buy a TIVO, but the commercial skip on TIVO only works for 20 stations and I cannot use Hopper where I live.  Thanks if anyone has any solutions!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Voice Remote customize skip MORE than 30 seconds and less than 5 minutes?

No, the remotes aren't customizable.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@seamisthelp wrote:

Are the new voice remotes for X1 DVR's customizable?  Can I re-purpose the "C" button which I will never use?

I need a skip ahead longer than 30 seconds because commercials are mostly three and a half minutes.  On the older remotes with DVR boxes not on X1 you could program a 30 second skip and then make a macro button to automatically do the 30 second skip seven times to get a three and a half minute skip by pressing ONE button.  How can this be done for the new voice remotes that came with my X1 DVR?

I have tried the EXIT, EXIT, EXIT, 0330 and it does not work.  A 30 second skip requires pressing seven times and that can cause playback problems if you don't press perfectly.  It won't retain seven presses so you have to do it slowly.

If I skip forward FIVE MINUTES, then you have to press the 15 second REPLAY six more times to go back a minute and a half.   TOO many button presses and time wasting.  I may have to buy a TIVO, but the commercial skip on TIVO only works for 20 stations and I cannot use Hopper where I live.  Thanks if anyone has any solutions!

I use visual search with 3>> and press the 15 second flashback when I see the show after the commericals.

New Poster

remote

how do pair a comcast remote to my comcast cable box

Expert

Re: remote

@tripperj wrote:

how do pair a comcast remote to my comcast cable box

AFAIK, you can only pair an X1 box to its remote....  link to a thread on the subject is here:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Remote-control/m-p/2614895/highlight/true#M1350...

Highlighted
New Poster

remote control isn't working on cable box

my remote control works for volume but not for cable channels

Valued Contributor

Re: remote control isn't working on cable box

If the remote is working for the television set such as volume and power, you may need to pair the remote to the set-top box. If your box is part of the X1  Platform, follow the steps located Here

New Poster
New Poster

Voice remote

So I really enjoy the voice remote. One issue. Why I ask to switch to fox sports Detroit, it's switches to fox sports college sports central. (I don't even have that channel). There should be a way to teach the remote. Anyone else have a similar issue?
New Poster

programming remote

I connected a new TV, was programming remote, but it will not move screen to anything . Will not exit, volumn and power buttons work. It is stuck on skip remote setup. i have turned it off a d unplugged it.

Expert

Re: Voice remote

@Brsynk01 wrote:
So I really enjoy the voice remote. One issue. Why I ask to switch to fox sports Detroit, it's switches to fox sports college sports central. (I don't even have that channel). There should be a way to teach the remote. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Try using the XR11 to change to the channel number, instead of the name in this case.

Regular Visitor

So true. I am in the same boat.  XR11 remote controls on off function of the tv but not the receiver. Yamaha Rx-v373 receiver has its input via a hdmi cable from the Comcast box, which also has a cable(RG62) that feeds the tv. Most likely the volume is being controlled via the Comcast box and not the receiver.(not sure)  No cable inputs are built into the receiver. So, I have to use my Logitech Harmony remote to control everything. In which case I loose my voice controls and the use of the xr11 Comcast remote unless I use them both. I wish Comcast could program the correct codes for modern day equipment. As usual you don't always win with Comcast. Just ask my DVR that sits in a box in the basement that I can't use because I have Comcast. 500 bucks down the drain.

Regular Visitor

What model receiver do you have? I cannot get power on/off with my rf11 remote 'cause the codes xfinity has won't work. Volume only. My Yamaha receiver is rxv-373.

New Poster

Voice Remote doesn't accept codes

This remote is so silly...

I have spent a lot of time and effort searching for the correct code to pair/program my TCL Roku-TV (mfg. date 3/2016) (model # 43UP130) with my X1 Voice Remote. After much effort, it appears the remote, and Comcast in general, is the issue. Over half of the TCL/RCA codes entered are not even accepted by the remote! and the other half just don't work on that TV. NO HELP FROM COMCAST! Getting them to do leg work to figure out what the problem is (let alone listen to you when you tell them what you want or what you have done already) is like trying to get to the moon!

I have tried every TCL and RCA code I could find, as well as tried the search code thing, too. Also, the remote has been reset a couple times, and the box was refreshed/updated.

Does anyone actually have THIS tv (year/brand/model) and have a solution to the problem? Do I need a new remote? Have i just been wasting time and someone should have said there is no code? It seems both Comcast and TCL think that it should work... WHAT is the DEAL??? HELP! - Thanks

Expert

Re: Voice Remote doesn't accept codes

@JD05 wrote:

This remote is so silly...

I have spent a lot of time and effort searching for the correct code to pair/program my TCL Roku-TV (mfg. date 3/2016) (model # 43UP130) with my X1 Voice Remote. After much effort, it appears the remote, and Comcast in general, is the issue. Over half of the TCL/RCA codes entered are not even accepted by the remote! and the other half just don't work on that TV. NO HELP FROM COMCAST! Getting them to do leg work to figure out what the problem is (let alone listen to you when you tell them what you want or what you have done already) is like trying to get to the moon!

I have tried every TCL and RCA code I could find, as well as tried the search code thing, too. Also, the remote has been reset a couple times, and the box was refreshed/updated.

Does anyone actually have THIS tv (year/brand/model) and have a solution to the problem? Do I need a new remote? Have i just been wasting time and someone should have said there is no code? It seems both Comcast and TCL think that it should work... WHAT is the DEAL??? HELP! - Thanks

there is a special sticky topic thread for remote issues at 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Remote-Control/td-p/2339801

New Poster

I just found out by accident the page up key will skip 3.30 minutes.
Frequent Visitor

Would you tell me how you reset your key?  My page up key skips 5 minutes.  3.30 would be MUCH BETTER!

Thank you!  Also, does your page down key skip back 5 minutes or has that also changed?

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Remote and IR / Harmony Remote.

I tried to add a device and went through the list of manufacturers and could not find "Xfinity X1"  I went into the X'es nothing there, I did find just Xfinity which I am going to try, but alot of people keep saying they picked Xfinity X1. I sure would like to know where they see it. I am using the 7.7.0.0  software. I have talked to tech support and they never mentioned using the Xfinity X1 as a choise.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Remote and IR / Harmony Remote.

Last time I programmed a Harmony remote for an X1 box I used Xfinity XG1-A.

It worked perfectly.
New Poster

u were right, It skips 5 min.  sorry

Regular Visitor

X1 Remote - Fast Forward Button Skips to the End of Recording

Hi folks,

I've seen posts about this issue on the board from 2012 - 2015, but no solutions.  My service was installed in April 2014, but the issue has only surfaced in the last month.  Any help?

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Remote - Fast Forward Button Skips to the End of Recording

Just updating this - I forgot to click Email replies

Contributor

Re: 30 second skip on XR11 Voice Remote?

I've tried the exit, exit, exit 0030 numerous times on my XR11 remote, but nothing.   Any other ideas for the 30 second advance?   I had this 30 second advance on there for as long as I've had the remote, but all of a sudden I'm back to the 5 minute advance.

Silver Problem Solver

@peteb wrote:

I've tried the exit, exit, exit 0030 numerous times on my XR11 remote, but nothing.   Any other ideas for the 30 second advance?   I had this 30 second advance on there for as long as I've had the remote, but all of a sudden I'm back to the 5 minute advance.

The remote needs to be close to the X1 box since you are programming the X1 box and not the remote.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@adoland wrote:

Just updating this - I forgot to click Email replies

There was a new change where pressing FF five times will cause the FF funtion to go with a lightning bolt.  You have to press the Play button to stop it.  Just try to be careful that you don't press FF too many times.

Gold Problem Solver

Unplug and reboot your X1 box???

@adoland wrote:

Hi folks,

I've seen posts about this issue on the board from 2012 - 2015, but no solutions.  My service was installed in April 2014, but the issue has only surfaced in the last month.  Any help?

Expert

adding.. you might try reset of remote first. setup until LED changes to green, then 987

Then do the setting you want (while in RF. Remember that you are changing the set top box not the remote. 

to pair it via RF press setup until LED changes to green, press the xFinity button (might take two presses) and a number will appear on the TV's screen. Type those numbers in and the remote will switchover to aim-anywhere RF when sending set top box commands.

Expert

adding..

i've had this problem when I'm watching in the extended recording area of recordings and on manual recordings (example: 7 hours manual recording on a channel0. If i exit out in the extended are past regular end of the program or in the manual recording, the resume sometimes is reset to the beginning of the program. 

for what is is worth when an on-demand says it is 42 minutes long but is really 60 minutes any attempt to stop and resume after that 42 minutes begins over again too. bugs?

Regular Visitor

Robert, SOP is pressing FF exactly three times to zip through commercials.  Same results with the original 2014 remote and with the new voice remote that Comcast gifted us last week.  One thing I did learn while surfing the forum for a solution is using the page up button (or down / backward) to skip forward 5 minutes.  Handy when the recording skips to the end and faster than FF 4 times.

Frequent Visitor

My DVR has been doing this for about a month now. I usually use 2x speed to get thru commercials. It just randomly will zoom to the end. This is very irritating. If I'm a the 45 minute mark of a show for instance, it is now back to the beginning and I have to forward through 45 minutes of the show I already watched.

Please fix this. I'm moving in a month and I may just switch to Frontier if this is the kind of ongoing problem I have.

Frequent Visitor

And the DVR did it THREE times tonight. This is getting beyond irritating. You need to fix this now.

Barbara

Silver Problem Solver

@bjprichmond wrote:

And the DVR did it THREE times tonight. This is getting beyond irritating. You need to fix this now.

Barbara

I have had to modify the way I use the FF button.  If I tap it, it will not go to the end.  If I hold it too long, that is when it skips to the end.

Frequent Visitor

And again. Another strike.

Silver Problem Solver

@bjprichmond wrote:

And again. Another strike.

I think that was their intention?

Valued Contributor

Mic button voice remote

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I noticed that when I press the mic button on the voice remote, I would get a clicking sound with a blinking blue light instead of the usual tone that is heard with the steady blue light after you press the button. It takes maybe 2-3 tries before I receive the necessary tone and steady blue light. Does anyone know what that means? All other buttons are functioning.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Mic button voice remote

@RadTV wrote:

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I noticed that when I press the mic button on the voice remote, I would get a clicking sound with a blinking blue light instead of the usual tone that is heard with the steady blue light after you press the button. It takes maybe 2-3 tries before I receive the necessary tone and steady blue light. Does anyone know what that means? All other buttons are functioning.

My first guess would be weak batteries, since you didn't mention them.