Community Forum

Remote Control

Contributor

Re: XR5 and XR11 "Voice Remote" Code Lists

The hitting setup again after powering off worked for me.  I can at least do power on and off now, without grabbing another remote.  Thanks, Bob

Frequent Visitor

Re: XR2 Remote with Sony Bravia

I have the same problem - my xr11 will not control the sound on my Sony Bravia tv - I switched the hdmi cable and it still doesn't work - I tried all the supplied codes and none worked - very frustrating to have to use 2 different remotes.

Frequent Visitor

Doesn't work!

Frequent Visitor

I have a Sony Bravia and this setup procedure is a joke - I have tried all the solutions trying to get my xr11 to control the volume on the tv and nothing works - I give up - I will continue to use 2 remotes since Comcast cannot provide operating instructions for their own equipment.

Gold Problem Solver

Hughey,

Did it occur to you that if everyone else is having success with the manual code search process and you aren't that either your remote is defective or you are doing something wrong?
New Poster

Thank you so much RickGr4!! The manual code 991worked for my sceptre TV and Xfinity  DVR X1 voice remote. I tried atleast 50 sceptre and sony codes before that and I was extremely frustrated!! I couldn't have done it without you!!

Expert
Moved:

Silver Problem Solver

This is a user forum; we don't address customer service issues.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/bd-p/CustServ_CustServ

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Remote control X1

my control is not working. I cannot change channels or use other features.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Remote control X1

So reboot the box...

New Poster

It isn't working for everyone.

I just moved last month and Comcast gave me a new X1 box with the XR11 remote.  My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-46VL130.  It paired just fine with my previous xfinity remote.

I first tried all the Sony codes that xfinity provides for the XR11 and none of them worked.   I then tried the 991 method posted here.  The first click of the ^CH button, my tv turns off, but the remote still won't control pover or volume on the TV.  Still have to use the buttons on the tv or the Sony remote to power or control volume.

@RickGr4 wrote:
Hughey,

Did it occur to you that if everyone else is having success with the manual code search process and you aren't that either your remote is defective or you are doing something wrong?

Regular Visitor

Bvmhusky - I have the Sony. After the TV shuts off you must press setup and get the two green lights. That is key.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks - the search feature worked.

Gold Problem Solver

There is a process (I don't remember it) to extract the code that was found during a manual code search. Considering there appears to a Sony TV code that is not listed, it sure would be nice if someone would extract the code and post it for others...
Expert

@Hughey101 wrote:

Thanks - the search feature worked.

would you press a few buttons and retrieve the code that the search found for you? This is a 'read only' of the tv code in use. press setup until green LED turns on. press 9 9 0 (puts in read mode). press the '1' key and cound the number of flashes of the remote's LED (that is first digit). write it down, then press '2' key and count the flashes and write down as 2nd digit. repeat until you get up to 6 digits LED will end routine after last digit is 'read' using flashes. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Strange.  It took 5 times of trying the process and when holding the setup button on the last step, it would flash red.  Then I tried it one more time and got the green flash twice and now it does work.

thanks for the help.   Hopefully the settings stick for the long run with this remote.  But yep, it's working now.  Power button turns off the tv and can adjust the volume using the XR11.  Good to go.

@goldrdogs wrote:

Bvmhusky - I have the Sony. After the TV shuts off you must press setup and get the two green lights. That is key.

go.

Contributor

Thanks, I'll give it a try. bc

Contributor

Using that technique definitely finds a code and powers off the amp. Then continuing steps just turns tv off and will not power back up a p

New Poster

So I am very greatful for the advise on this post. I was able to finally program my TV Yay.  How ever I have a question you may be able to answer.  My voice remote will not turn off my cable box how ever if I turn off the box by pressing the blue button on the box and then press the power button on remote it will turn it on.  Why does it turn on the box but not off?  And is there a way to fix this?.  Thanks in advance for any help I may get. 

Expert

@Kuddlez wrote:

So I am very greatful for the advise on this post. I was able to finally program my TV Yay.  How ever I have a question you may be able to answer.  My voice remote will not turn off my cable box how ever if I turn off the box by pressing the blue button on the box and then press the power button on remote it will turn it on.  Why does it turn on the box but not off?  And is there a way to fix this?.  Thanks in advance for any help I may get. 

The power button on the remote will NOT turn off the box.... it is designed to stay on 24x7....

You CAN go into SETTINGS >>> DEVICE SETTINGS >>>  POWER PREFERENCES and select "when" you would like to box to enter Power Save ( same as pressing Blue Button ) there.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Remote Control

I do not like the X1 remote control compared to the old remote. The layout is awkward.  My most commonly used buttons were all at the bottom of the remote: channel, volume, guide, page up/down. It was easy to hold the remote and access all of them easily with my thumb. Now the channel and volume are at the top. Very awkward.  Also, all buttons are too flat making it difficult to find buttons by feel. The arrow buttons all run together and the page up/down are too small and hard to find by feel. It seems as though the remote was designed for a certain look rather than function.

Silver Problem Solver

I use a Harmony 650 instead of my XR11.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=harmony+650

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

There are plenty of 3rd party universal remotes to choose from out there...

Most have a much better button layout and design. They are usually much more capable as well.

@jeff2000 wrote:

I do not like the X1 remote control compared to the old remote. The layout is awkward.  My most commonly used buttons were all at the bottom of the remote: channel, volume, guide, page up/down. It was easy to hold the remote and access all of them easily with my thumb. Now the channel and volume are at the top. Very awkward.  Also, all buttons are too flat making it difficult to find buttons by feel. The arrow buttons all run together and the page up/down are too small and hard to find by feel. It seems as though the remote was designed for a certain look rather than function.

Contributor

Power off/power saver?

Hi all,

I am new to X1, and have read this thread in the hopes of finding a solution to the lack of a "Cable Box power-off from the remote" .

First, I understand all that has been said thus far with regards to the lack of power-off feature on the remote.  I really would not have an issue leaving this on save for the fact I leave my HTIB receiver on 24/7, and without the ability to turn my cable box off, I still hear what is on unless I either turn my Cable box off manually with the big blue button, or I get into the habit of turning my reveiver off. 

I would just like to know if I am missing something here.  Seems rather odd that I would not be able to enable some sort sleep mode immediately or something if I can't turn it off...

One last item:  I do have a universal remote, and I keep seeing references to a 'discrete-off' feature I may be able to use.  Might I be able to remedy my situation using a setting on my 3rd party universal remote?

Expert

Re: Power off/power saver?

@B_J_L wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to X1, and have read this thread in the hopes of finding a solution to the lack of a "Cable Box power-off from the remote" .

First, I understand all that has been said thus far with regards to the lack of power-off feature on the remote.  I really would not have an issue leaving this on save for the fact I leave my HTIB receiver on 24/7, and without the ability to turn my cable box off, I still hear what is on unless I either turn my Cable box off manually with the big blue button, or I get into the habit of turning my reveiver off. 

I would just like to know if I am missing something here.  Seems rather odd that I would not be able to enable some sort sleep mode immediately or something if I can't turn it off...

One last item:  I do have a universal remote, and I keep seeing references to a 'discrete-off' feature I may be able to use.  Might I be able to remedy my situation using a setting on my 3rd party universal remote?

You can select a 1 hour Power Save feature within the settings, but that's about it as far as short timing the OFF.   I have a harmony 650 but I haven't looked into the discrete feature....maybe someon fluent in 3rd party Remote Controls can chime in on this!!!!

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Expert

@B_J_L wrote:

Hi all,

hi, another customer here. I have read a lot of posts but can't recall someone not wanting to switch off their receiver. Is there some particular reason to not let the x1 remote switch off the receiver?

Frequent Visitor

The point is that I shouldn't have to buy a remote. They had a good design and messed it up instead of improving it. A massive system change should be superior. In fact, the whole X1 system seems like Comcast's Windows 8. They changed too many things that long term users were used to. Nothing is intuative. You go somewhere and then "now what do I do?". The old system was more efficient simple. Too many complex options now. Also, harder to read for us 50+. The logos on the guide (instead of a clear network name) make it difficult to visually scan for a channel. I know they are trying to attract younger users who are leaving cable but if they continue to make the system too complex, too difficult to navigate, and too difficult to read, they will lose the Baby Boomers (a larger group). Also, I don't want to talk to my remote.

Silver Problem Solver

The remote is free at any Comcast Store.  And you don't have to use Voice Control - ever.  But it comes in handy sometimes.

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

The remote is free at any Comcast Store.  And you don't have to use Voice Control - ever.  But it comes in handy sometimes.

Please read the thread. The free remote sucks. Several people suggested buying a superior one. Also, I was just voicing my personal opinion regarding voice control in general and that adding it isn't an "improvement" that I will use.

Expert

@jeff2000 wrote:

Please read the thread. The free remote sucks. Several people suggested buying a superior one. Also, I was just voicing my personal opinion regarding voice control in general. 

Comcast offers 3 remotes for the X1 platform now.

The standard Xr2

The backlit Xr5

The backlit with Voice Xr11

Which one do you not like or is it all of them?

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

@geek46 wrote:

@jeff2000 wrote:

Please read the thread. The free remote sucks. Several people suggested buying a superior one. Also, I was just voicing my personal opinion regarding voice control in general. 

Comcast offers 3 remotes for the X1 platform now.

The standard Xr2

The backlit Xr5

The backlit with Voice Xr11

Which one do you not like or is it all of them?

-=Ray=-

I have the xr5. I have not seen the others. The only thing that I like about it is the fact that it is backlit. The layout is not ergonomic. The old remote had a much better layout and feel. I could hold it in one hand and access all of the most commonly used buttons with my thumb. Now the volume and power are at the top. Awkward! Also I got used to easily finding the buttons by feel. Now they are too flat. Especially the volume, channel, and arrows (which have no space between). It seems that the remote was designed to have a certain look rather than to be functional. EDIT: I have googled the xr2. It looks like it would have a better feel with better buttons. I still would prefer the volume and channel at the bottom.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@B_J_L wrote:

Hi all,

hi, another customer here. I have read a lot of posts but can't recall someone not wanting to switch off their receiver. Is there some particular reason to not let the x1 remote switch off the receiver?

The reason I had purchased a 3rd party remote is because my second remote for my receiver stopped working reliably.  The buttons degraded over time to the point where I was having to find sharp items to depress them in order to make them work.

That being said, I found a great remote (sony remote that can 'learn' from other remotes) which I use to switch inputs on the receiver when I need to.  The problem here is that I can power OFF my receiver with the remote, but I can't power it back on that way (haven't figured this out yet).  So I leave the receiver on. 

Now I have the ability to power ON the cable box remotely, but not off, and power OFF my receiver remotely, but not on...

Short of a better fix, I believe my new MO will be to just turn the volume down when I am finished watching TV...

Gold Problem Solver

B_J_L,

Clearly you get it. You understand the benefits of a properly programmed universal remote. The only reason I have any Comcast remotes here is for testing purposes.

Here is just a partial list of things my Harmony 900 remotes can do that the Comcast remotes cannot do:

-One touch favorites.
-My entire system turns on to any source with one touch.
-My main system has five sources and I can control every key function on all five.
-I can easily control my Blu-ray, Roku, SACD Player, Smart Apps on the TV.
-I can toggle back and forth from cable TV to my antenna with one touch.
-My Harmony 900 controls my entire system using RF, not just the X1 box. I NEVER need to point the remote.
-My Harmony 900 has a sleep timer that can shut of the entire system, not just individual parts.

Best Buy sells a "One for All" remote (made by URC) for $29.98 that is vastly superior to any of the Comcast remotes. Harmony 650 can be found for $50-$60 and has many X1 forum members have found, it can run circles around any of the Comcast remotes.

@B_J_L wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@B_J_L wrote:

Hi all,

The reason I had purchased a 3rd party remote is because my second remote for my receiver stopped working reliably.  The buttons degraded over time to the point where I was having to find sharp items to depress them in order to make them work.

That being said, I found a great remote (sony remote that can 'learn' from other remotes) which I use to switch inputs on the receiver when I need to.  The problem here is that I can power OFF my receiver with the remote, but I can't power it back on that way (haven't figured this out yet).  So I leave the receiver on. 

Now I have the ability to power ON the cable box remotely, but not off, and power OFF my receiver remotely, but not on...

Short of a better fix, I believe my new MO will be to just turn the volume down when I am finished watching TV...

New Poster

THANK YOU!  Was chatting with support who gave me only the codes I had already tried.  I found this post and it worked the first press of the channel button.  

Expert

@jpWestbrook55 wrote:

THANK YOU!  Was chatting with support who gave me only the codes I had already tried.  I found this post and it worked the first press of the channel button.  

Hi jpwestbrook55!  

If it wouldn't be too much of a bother, can you now go into your remote and do the manual code EXTRACTION process and then post back what the code is for everyone who is having this issue?   It would help so many users.

The manual code extraction process is here, and it will not affect your remote at all as this is a READ ONLY function:

1. Press setup until green LED turns on. press 9 9 0 (puts in read mode).
2. Press the '1' key and count the number of flashes of the remote's LED (that is first digit).
3. Write it down, then press '2' key and count the flashes and write down as 2nd digit.
4. Repeat until you get up to 6 digits LED will end routine after last digit is "read" using flashes. 

Thank you!!!!

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Re: Remote Madness

My remote wont change channels or raise the volume, then it does, then it doesnt, then it does.  I have spoken to three agents on the phone and SIX analysts on chat.  It appears I will also need to take in the DVR box as well.  This appears to be a MAJOR issue with this system, affecting a LOT of people, so....Xfinity, get on the stick and fix this.Smiley Sad

Expert

@CorieJones wrote:

My remote wont change channels or raise the volume, then it does, then it doesnt, then it does.  I have spoken to three agents on the phone and SIX analysts on chat.  It appears I will also need to take in the DVR box as well.  This appears to be a MAJOR issue with this system, affecting a LOT of people, so....Xfinity, get on the stick and fix this.Smiley Sad

Channel changes with LAG or DELAY are usually attributed to signal levels, eiher upstream or downstream.  Before you swap your box out, go into System Diagnostics and post back your Upstream Power, your Downstream Received Power and your SNR...let others take a look and offer assistance.   X1 communicates both up and down.

-=Ray=-

New Poster

Hi, Can anyone please help me. I have setting the voice remote w/ my Sony TV KDL-46XBR3 to control power and volume.  i have tried both process listed above, including blinking back the code method (990) . I get up up to the fifth digit, when I press the 6th button, the number "6" shows up on the tv. ( no flashes).  does this mean there is no 6th digit? I have tried re-entering the five digit code  ( 11459) but nothing happens.  Am i doing something incorrectly? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Silver Problem Solver

There are no codes longer than 5 digits.

Are you saying you tried the manual search?  The directions are in this thread.

1. Turn on your TV and AVR.
2. Press and hold the Setup button on your remote until the status LED changes from red to green.
3. To search for a TV code, enter 9-9-1 on the remote. To search for an AVR code, enter 9-9-2. The status LED should flash green twice.
4. Press the CH ^ button repeatedly to search through the manufacturer codes until the device you are programming turns off.
5. After the device turns off, press Setup. The status LED on your remote should flash green twice. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the device turns on, you have successfully programmed your remote.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comcast+remote+manual+code+search&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

New Poster

992 code and search worked for my Samsung sound at when nothing else would. Funny the Comcast tech help just told me yesterday there was no code like this for the xr11, only the 991 code for finding tv codes. Once again, Google>customer service

New Poster

.XR5 and XR11 "Voice Remote" Code Lists

The key to using manual codes 991 and 992 is after your device turns off, press and hold the setup button but hold it down for several seconds until it flashes green twice. If it doesn't flash green twice, your code will not be accepted and your tv may have turned off but it will not turn back on with the remote.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

@billyc904 wrote:

Using that technique definitely finds a code and powers off the amp. Then continuing steps just turns tv off and will not power back up a p

After you use manual codes 991 or 992, Billyc904,Try one more time and after your device turns off, press and hold the setup button but hold it down for several seconds until it flashes green twice. At first I wasn't holding the setup button down long enough after my tv turned off. My tv would turn off but would not turn back on. I hope this helps.

Contributor

Got the harmony 650. All good now

Contributor

On 7/11/15, I received an email from Xfinity stating that I was eligible to receive a free XR11 voice remote.  I followed the provided link and completed the application.

It's now 10/4/15 and I have yet to receive this remote.  Is there a way to follow up on this to find out why I haven't received teh XR11 remote yet?

Silver Problem Solver

If a Comcast Store is within driving range, they will give you a free one for every DVR you have.

I've actually got four now.  I just asked for one and they asked if I had a DVR because voice works with it.  But voice also works with the new Xi3 companion.

Expert

Comcast Service Locations can be found here:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

-=Ray=-

Frequent Visitor

I find my DVR's remote to be the least responsive remote control I have ever used in my history of using remote controls.  I was testing it out last night by slowly pointing the remote upwards just to see how precise the pointing must be in order for it to respond and it requires absurd levels of precision.  Due to other warranty exchanges and other reasons I have experienced this issue with 2 DVRs and probably 4 remotes. 

I don't understand why remote control technology has remained unchanged since the 80s only to make a flying leap into the smartphone thing.  Back in the late 90s I had a DishNetwork remote control that used radio frequencies that worked flawlessly!  This was before bluetooth!  I have even had infrared remotes for devices that worked when pointed the other way!  I just want a remote that will actually work and I know the tech must exist at this point.

Silver Problem Solver

Are you able to pair your remotes?

My XR2 is the slowest.  My XR5's and four XR11's do not have your issue.

New Poster

Remote control

My XR5 remote control only works when pointed directly at the tv. When I initially received this remote control it would work without having to point it directly in front of the tv. What is the fix?