Community Forum

Recording on DVR are skipping

New Poster

Re: DVR recordings in the cloud Skipping stop/starting

Same issue in CA. Stumbled upon this which just posted. https://youtu.be/N8TzQstJvro
New Poster

Same here in Seattle area.  Just started happening today.  Hope they fix it soon!

New Poster

Same problem - all my DVR’s from the last 2 days are unwatchable- I expect way more for over $200.00 a month. I expect a refund for every day this has or will continue to happen!!!
Contributor

Playing recordings from my DVR stops and starts with sound going out here in TN beginning last night 1/22. Hard to watch. Is it my DVR or the service?
New Poster

Re: DVR playback is choppy

Same problem happening here in Sacramento. I just tried to call Comcast at the 1-800-xfinity number. After saying “TV” as my response for the reason for my call, I got a message that there are so many calls coming or this problem that they cannot talk to any more customers! The message states that they are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it.
Regular Visitor

Same problem here in Atlanta. It appears that all of the recent recordings that are completely useless are being recorded in the cloud instead of locally on the unit’s hard drive. Does anyone know why programs aren’t being saved locally?
Regular Visitor

same problem, just noticed it tonight. Nothing I dvr'd is working right.
New Poster

Having the same problem as everyone else starting today in the San Francisco Bay Area. Cannot play today's recordings. Previous recordings play fine.  Comcast did a System Refresh which did not solve the problem. Called Comcast and the automated voice said they are aware of the problem and will  notify me when it's fixed.

New Poster

If the problem is with the cloud, then I understand. But why is there a problem playing the local DVR recording, and then switching to the cloud recording. Why would a cloud problem cause the local DVR recording to fail to play. I know it is being saved locally.

If I have the X1 tuned to the channel I’m recording, I can rewind and watch the show that was just recorded. And it play fine. But if I go to the DVR menu and play it, I get the 3 dots while it tries to play the local recording and then switches to the horrible cloud recording.
New Poster

I’m having problems with my DVR recordings.  It just started today.  Aggravating! Unwatchable.  I have to delete all today’s saved programs.

New Poster

Customers who have converted fully to the XFinity X1 platform need to know that, with X1 you no longer have a hard drive in your DVR box. All the recordings with X1 are stored in “the cloud”, not in your box. “The cloud” accually refers to large capacity storage servers that are maintained by Comcast.

The old DVR’s did have hard drives inside your box to record programs, but this is no longer the case with the XFinity X1 platform.
New Poster

Ok. So why is there now (coincidentally?) a cloud icon next to where it says ‘DVR’, when you pause it?
Frequent Visitor

@dominick1946 wrote:
Customers who have converted fully to the XFinity X1 platform need to know that, with X1 you no longer have a hard drive in your DVR box. All the recordings with X1 are stored in “the cloud”, not in your box. “The cloud” accually refers to large capacity storage servers that are maintained by Comcast.

The old DVR’s did have hard drives inside your box to record programs, but this is no longer the case with the XFinity X1 platform.

All true. Comcast obviously fouled up their DVR servers in the cloud. Will the messed up recordings ever be watchable again?

A suggestion to help a little bit - if the recorded pgm was a prime time show on ABC, NBC, CBS that you recorded and Comcast can't ever recover a good recording, After 24 hrs, you can watch the missed show on ONDemand. It will be there for a couple days.

Regular Visitor

Watching On Demand later is only an acceptable alternative if the show isn’t FF restricted but most network shows are FF restricted.
New Poster

Choppy recordings tonight on DVR

Why is everything recorded on my DVR tonight 1-23-2019 messed up. The shows are all shown like an interupted signal.

Frequent Visitor

They could atleast disable the fast forward block on on demand till they fix it. 

New Poster

Just chatted with them. They said this was a national issue and their “advanced technical team” is “working on it.”
They gave me an estimated fix time of 2:14 am CST 1/24
New Poster

Mine just started doing it tonight... it's so aggravating! When I tried to select another option (watch on demand through comedy central), it just brings up a blank screen! So not only can I not watch the episode on demand, I can't watch the one I recorded because it's so choppy!!
New Poster

I'm in Alabama and having the same issue!
New Poster

Same thing is happening to my TV. I guess it’s my DVR it ruins the fun of watching shows without commercials and also it’s easy when it’s safe to DVR. My DVR tonight is choppy and freezes and is driving me insane. What is this can I do to make it better?
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Anything recorded 1/22 and 1/23 and played back showing the cloud icon skips, stops and is non watchable. Obviously xfinity is having issues however at over 200.00 a month, this should be posted by Xfinity as a known error with an ETA for resolution. 

New Poster

Definitely happening in South Florida :-( and I'm glad I haven't yet thrown the remote at the TV.... the temptation is great! If it wasn't because of my HOA dues covering/lowering a big chunk of the basic costs through Comcast, I'd have switched to a different provider years ago
New Poster

Same results here in Seattle area, started sometime today, yesterdays recordings played normal. 

New Poster

Re: cloud dvr playback skips

It’s only recording a couple shows onto the cloud. And on playback, it skips all over the place. Help
New Poster

Re: cloud dvr playback skips

Yes, the problematic replays all have the cloud icon. Other shows without the icon seem to have no issues. Now what
Regular Contributor

Same problem in northern CO.  I first noticed it earlier this evening (1/23).  Happens to me whether watching via DVR on my TV or via the Stream app on my iPad.  Live TV seems to work fine.

New Poster

I second the issue in Sacramento. Amazing the commercials in the 4ecordings play fine.... it's just the actual show that skips / choppy!
New Poster

Same garbage in the Bay Area! And I was just raving about Xfinity yesterday to my friend. This is a MAJOR step backwards unwatchable recordings on their cloud DVR. At least give me the option to not use the cloud. I never asked for it in the first place. Comcast FIX THIS!
New Poster

Same problem with my DVR here in Portland, Oregon.

New Poster

@dominick1946 wrote:

Some of us have older X1 boxes that do have hard drives in them. Directly from the "X1 Cloud DVR FAQS", "Because your X1 DVR TV Box has approximately 150 hours of local storage, not all recordings available on your TV Box will be accessible from X1 Cloud DVR." Here's the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs.

So, some of us are experiencing an issue where our locally saved recordings won't play and switch to the inferior quality cloud saved recording. Now with this current problem the already reduced quality cloud recordings are skipping and stuttering. This change from hard drive to cloud can be seen under the show name in the bottom left of the screen as it switches from displaying DVR to ☁️DVR. This makes it obvious when it is playing from the cloud instead of the hard drive.

Frequent Visitor

DVR skipping and freezing

Hi, I was having trouble streaming comcast tv on my desktop, I was getting error 11700. After getting some helpful information

on this forum, someone in second teir support deprovisioned my streaming devices, and I was able to log in and watch channels on my PC.  Yesterday, I noticed that I wasn't able to watch certain channels on the desktop and saw a little note about having to be connected to WiFi, when in actuality I'm hardwired to the router and modem. Fortunately after a day I am able to view all channels on the desktop. Now on my main DVR anything I recorded after the deprovisioning was done , freezes and skips when I try to watch.

It freezes and skips on the other boxes I have in the bedrooms as well. Live tv works fine, and the programs I recorded before the deprovisioning work fine as well. It seems like this problem has to be related to the previous deprovisioning. Any help is appreciated thanks.

New Poster

Same here in California!  How do we fix it?  I don’t want this stupid cloud!  I just upgraded to a 4K box. It Is terrible!  I pay way too much per month for this.  It’s a box we’ve only had for 2 days. 

New Poster

Amen!

Regular Visitor

Re: DVR skipping and freezing

Is the volume lower on newly recorded shows compared to watching the same channel live?

Frequent Visitor

Happening all over the country! Anything recorded since yesterday around 7 pm is basically unwatchable because it goes to the cloud and skips and sound goes in and out.
Frequent Visitor

It’s all over Twitter yet they won’t put a main tweet about it! Ridiculous!
Frequent Visitor

It’s a huge issue now with everyone.
Frequent Visitor

Big Brother was basically unwatchable!
Frequent Visitor

And yet it is. Same problem in Maryland!
Frequent Visitor

If there is still an issue today, I am calling demanding a refund of some sort!
Frequent Visitor

Service! We’re all having the same issues.
Frequent Visitor

Why would you assume it’s your dvr when everyone else is saying it is an issue with them also?
Frequent Visitor

This.
Regular Visitor

Same problem here.  This is only happenening to programs recorded from 1/22/19 and after, and not programs that were recorded prior to that which play fine.  The regular TV reception and internet and phone in my bundle are fine.  I live in Lilburn in the Atlanta suburbs....looks like others are having the same problem.   Comcast please let us know what is going on so we all do not have to change our boxes if this is a Comcast issue beyond our control and boxes.  I have reset my DVR X1 box which did not help and I do not want to talk to Comcast phone support on end and schedule a call to come to my house if it is not my problem.  We are seniors and this is our only entertainement.  Comcast please help !!! 

Regular Contributor

same issue here in suburban Detroit

There are 3 ways I can tell its a cloud recording compared to DVR (other than the obvious "cloud" icon mentioned above)

1) The program will take much longer to start playing after I hit 'watch' compared to straight off the DVR.

2) the program is in 2.0 instead of 5.1 sound (if channel applicable)- that I can see on my amplifier.

3) there definitely is something different with picture quality compared to the hard drive, maybe its only 480P...or maybe there is less frame rate per second, but something definitely looks inferior.

To somewhat copy what was stated above, ALL recordings are kept on your box and also to the cloud (with the cloud only retaining the most recent~60 hours or so) - so if you swap out a box, you may lose access to some of your older recordings if you had a moderate to heavily filled DVR 

Now normally if it is a 1-off situation, I don't mind, maybe there was a power outage or a box reset during the recording. But in the past, the cloud recording could still be watched. These recordings are so stuttered and jumpy as to make them unwatchable.

I am grateful for this forum, in that I don't have to call that monolith 800-COMCAST number, be on hold for 30 minutes, only to talk to a woman from the Phillepeans, who speaks broken and heavily accented English, and doesn't (and won't) understand the situation ----(This doesn't happen, EVERY TIME, but often enough that Comcast should be ashamed that it happens at all)

Regular Contributor

Same problem in the Chicago area..Anything recorder after 5pm goes to the cloud.  Now anything I record won't play back at all.  All the channels coming in fine.

New Poster

DVR Recordings Keep Skipping

I’m having an issue with my recordings , they keep skipping and freezing . I’ve rebooted the system twice nothing seems to be working .
New Poster

I am having a similar issue in the Detroit area. I thought it was only one recording yesterday evening. However, the choppiness affects everything recorded Jan 23.

Silver Problem Solver

I'm in an outage area.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/status-map/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Me too! I called yesterday and they were just baffled and had no answer for me. The problem still persists as of this morning so I called again. This guy was a total jerk and tried to tell me that it was just my DVR and they would have to send a tech out to look at it. Seriously? I asked to speak to a supervisor, cuz I knew that wasn't correct, and he put me on hold for 45 minutes. I hung up and called back and got somebody who actually knew what was going on. This time I got an agent who told me it's a widespread problem and they don't know what's causing it and that they are working on it. Pffffft. I've heard *that* more times than I can count. So it's Thursday night, my favorite night for TV, and I guess I'm going to miss all my favorite shows. Again. Boy, I sure am glad I'm paying over $170 a month for this horrible service. If I could get out of my contract, I would go back to Dish Network