Community Forum

Recording a show in progress from the beginning.

New Poster

Recording a show in progress from the beginning.

I came into the room and wanted to record the program that was showing. The program had started 9 minutes earlier, so I rewound to the beginning and pressed record. It turns out the X1 system would not record the first 9 minutes of the program, even though I was looking at it on the screen. I called customer service and confirmed that's just the way the system works. I searched the forums here and saw several references to this issue. Most responses were of the "Yeah, it s*cks, but that's how it is" variety. I saw one response that said the ability to do what I wanted was patented by TIVO, but the patent expires sometime in 2018. Well, for 10 years, I had no trouble rewinding to the beginning of a program  and recording all of it on DISH Network. How did they mitigate this Patent issue? Why didn't Xfinity do the same? And, if the forum post I read is correct, there are no longer any Patent restrictions. If a few thousand of you call in and express your displeasure, maybe Comcast will fix it.  -or not.  I'm tellin' ya, I've only been an Xfinity customer for six months, and I keep coming across deficiencies like this.  I am not happy.

Official Employee

Re: Recording a show in progress from the beginning.

That capability was removed more than 2 years ago. It was so the cloud and physical DVR reflected the same recording

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
That capability was removed more than 2 years ago. It was so the cloud and physical DVR reflected the same recording

Okay, Andrew. You've stated a piece of history that is of no use to anyone as it is not a solution, and, as written, the balance of your response doesn't make sense.  The cloud has to match a physical DVR recording?? But, I don't have a physical DVR, and the program doesn't exist in the cloud. So, what are you trying to say here? Please rewrite your response.

Official Employee

My response is recording starts the moment when you choose to record, you can’t go backwards and record. No matter what service you have... There’s nothing to fix, the capability was removed

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
My response is recording starts the moment when you choose to record, you can’t go backwards and record. No matter what service you have... There’s nothing to fix, the capability was removed

Geez, Andrew! All you did was restate the issue about which I wrote and say there's nothing to fix.   That's saying you don't even see there's an issue. There IS an issue, and I'm not the only one who feels that way. I asked you to explain what you had in mind when you wrote your first response,  and you chose not to even do that much. Obviously, your heart's not in this. You just don't care.  Too bad.  You've added even more fuel to my Comcast fire.