Community Forum

Recording Delayed Shows

Highlighted
Contributor

Recording Delayed Shows

I previously posted a congrats because Xfinity appeared to be smart enough to know when shows I had set to record were delayed (by a sporting event, for example) and managed to record enough extra to cover the entire show. That worked for a couple of episodes of "Madam Secretary" on Sunday night. But on several recent shows, it didn't occur. The time slot was recorded, without regard to when the actual show started, and as a result, I missed the last part of the show I wanted. This happened Sunday, 1/20/19, with the Patriots game. About 30 minutes of "Magnum PI" were recorded, then nothing. If this technical feat can be accomplished several times, then it should be doable all the time. Can I get an explanation?

Contributor

Re: Recording Delayed Shows

Took me a while to figure it out myself. I set Madame Secretary to record for 90 minutes and then if I think that won’t be enough I set the shows after to record. It’s kind of a science. To me the only good thing about the football games recordings is they usually work well to extend the show til the game is over. Have to "play the game" to make sure you get the recording you want. 

Contributor

Re: Recording Delayed Shows

That's what I do as well--that is, record one or more shows after the one I actually wish to record. But--and I know I was not imagining this--on at least two occasions, I did not do this, and all of "Madam Secretary" was recorded. The little indicator of the length of a show (at the bottom of the screen) showed a long line representing what was recorded at the time slot (whether it was "Madam Secretary" or an extended game), then a break, then another line. When the break was reached, the recording continued through the next half-hour or so (not just until "Madam Secretariy" ended). That's the way it should be, although I assume the programming for doing it must be complex.