Community Forum

Record options not saving - not able to extend recording time consistently

New Poster

Record options not saving - not able to extend recording time consistently

I always set my shows to record with extended time.  In the past week or so, however, I've noticed that not all shows are recording for extended time.  I have seen two different things happening.  1)  I set my show to record with an extra 5 minutes.  I save the settings, and then view the settings again and they are back to the defaults (no extended time).  2)  I set the show to record with extended time and verify the settings are there, but the show does not record with extended time.  I replaced my box, and continue to have the same problems.  Can this possibly be anything other than an issue that needs to be resolved by the developers and pushed with a nightly update?  Is there a better method than this forum to report this type of problem?  I've "chatted" with a Comcast representative three times already.

Expert

Re: Record options not saving - not able to extend recording time consistently

@tonya.whaley wrote:

I always set my shows to record with extended time.  In the past week or so, however, I've noticed that not all shows are recording for extended time.  I have seen two different things happening.  1)  I set my show to record with an extra 5 minutes.  I save the settings, and then view the settings again and they are back to the defaults (no extended time).  2)  I set the show to record with extended time and verify the settings are there, but the show does not record with extended time.  I replaced my box, and continue to have the same problems.  Can this possibly be anything other than an issue that needs to be resolved by the developers and pushed with a nightly update?  Is there a better method than this forum to report this type of problem?  I've "chatted" with a Comcast representative three times already.

what model number is your DVR? do you have other set top boxes (taking tuners)? the scheduler can't add time if other recordings are scheduled that need same tuner.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Can you give a couple of examples of the shows?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Elementary on CBS Monday night, movies on Hallmark Channel Saturday night at 9pm and a number of others

New Poster

This is happening on  two different X1 DVRs (different model numbers - I do not have in front of me).  There is only one box on the account.  It started happening without any changes to our account or equipment, and still is not working properly after replacing the box.

Official Employee

Thanks for the example I have Elementary set for tonight to see if it replicates.

Do you have Auto Pad recordings set to on or off?
Xfinity button to gear symbol to Preferences to General down to Auto Pad Recordings

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I do have autopad set.  I had it set before when this started, and I have tried turning it off to see if it makes a difference.  Same issue either way.  I even restarted and sent a refresh signal after making changes, but that did not make a difference.

Thanks for testing yourself.  Did you check the settings after you set it to record to see if they still showed the recording time extended?  Just curious....  For that show it is simply not saving my settings.

Official Employee

When I went single episode, it didn’t show as saving. I’m going to see what I end up with. I’ve noticed the same on other shows too.

When I set up a series recording the 5 minutes stuck in the settings

New Poster

I'm glad you could confirm that it is a more general problem (not specific to my service).  I assume you can submit it as an issue to be fixed?  Thanks again for looking into it.

Official Employee

Yes I did unfortunately Elementary is done for a bit but was able to replicate it using the new Magnum tv show. Hopefully we have an answer soon.

New Poster

FYI - I'm setting up new season shows to record next week, and it seems like all of them throughout the week (ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS) are failing to store the record option settings.  There are other shows, however, like on the Food Network Sat morning, that do not seem to have this issue, and my husband has not complained about football being cut short.

It also does not seem to be show specific.  I missed the last episode of The Resident, and have that scheduled to record tonight - it is showing the extended time.  But, the new season begins on Monday, and that episode is not saving the extended time setting.

Official Employee

I’ve sent it up and waiting on a reply, you do know if auto pad is on it adds 3 minutes to the end

New Poster

Yes, but in my experience, it sometimes (not always) gets the end of broadcast network shows, but cable network and other channels like PBS almost always get cut off, which is why I add the 5 minutes.  Also, I've seen just recently that autopad is also not consistently working.  That episode of Elemantary earlier this week was exactly 60 minutes.

Silver Problem Solver

@tonya.whaley wrote:

Yes, but in my experience, it sometimes (not always) gets the end of broadcast network shows, but cable network and other channels like PBS almost always get cut off, which is why I add the 5 minutes.  Also, I've seen just recently that autopad is also not consistently working.  That episode of Elemantary earlier this week was exactly 60 minutes.

I have to set Elementary to 60 minutes because of the pro football season.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

FYI Elemenrary was on Mondays, and football season has no bearing on the OP’s issues.

New Poster

I just noticed this same issue happening with my X1 and found this thread when trying to find a solution.  For me, it looks like every single recording on one of the big 4 broadcast networks is having this issue.  It doesn't appear to be consistent for every other channel though, a recording on Comedy Central last night let me set my own extended time, but one for tonight on the same channel will not let me.  3 out of 5 set for tonight will not let me extend my own recording time.  I didn't notice it at the time, but about 50-60% of my recordings from the last week or so had the same issue.  Some shows still worked correctly, but there doesn't seem to be a clear pattern for which ones work.

Can you please let us know when this is going to be fixed and any updates?  Like the OP, I prefer to pick my own extended recording times manually on almost every recording.  I don't really like or use Auto-pad, I didn't find it very reliable, and also figured out that sometimes it actually reduced the amount of shows you could record at once.  For example, if you had multiple shows recording on the same night on the same channel, it would overlap tuners and just pick something else to not record correctly.

Much appreciated if you can help get this fixed quickly as it is a pretty frustrating bug to pop up out of nowhere.

Regular Contributor

This is happening for me as well on the network programs The Goldbergs tonight on ABC and also The Good Place tomorrow on NBC. There have also been issues with a 90 minute default auto extend being automatically added to live sports programming with no ability to override to On Time, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes. And, at least in my case, it's not playing back the full 90 minute extension, only 10 minutes and then stopping altogether.

I've seen this with soccer events on NBCSN, CNBC, NBC Network, and TNT.

It seems that by attempting to implement/improve auto pad and auto extend, it's just impaired the regular DVR time setting functions that many of us have used for years.

Can't we go back to setting our own times without an auto default setting?

Silver Problem Solver

@atlwally wrote:

This is happening for me as well on the network programs The Goldbergs tonight on ABC and also The Good Place tomorrow on NBC. There have also been issues with a 90 minute default auto extend being automatically added to live sports programming with no ability to override to On Time, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes. And, at least in my case, it's not playing back the full 90 minute extension, only 10 minutes and then stopping altogether.

I've seen this with soccer events on NBCSN, CNBC, NBC Network, and TNT.

It seems that by attempting to implement/improve auto pad and auto extend, it's just impaired the regular DVR time setting functions that many of us have used for years.

Can't we go back to setting our own times without an auto default setting?

What happens when you turn autopad off?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

Auto Pad is turned off. As noted in these other reports, this issue came up out of nowhere a few weeks ago and it took a while to see the pattern. A year or maybe more ago I remember Auto Extend was one of the options available under DVR Stop Time before it became a default setting with live sports.

I think most of us would be happy to choose our own Stop times from the menu but that hasn't been a reliable option lately.

Regular Visitor

This is happening to me, too. It doesn't matter whether auto pad is on or off. It happens on most channels I've tried: CBS, AMC, HBO, etc. I also did the restart, refresh, sync DVR dance to no avail.

Every once in a while, I can get it to work, and it'll add the extra time at the front and the back, but it's very, very hit or miss. Usually, it involves going to cancel the recording, then I notice the extended times are shown, and then I just tell it to keep the recording. But even that's not consistent. And it's maybe 1 out of 10 times, if that.

In looking at the Settings -> About page, I see that the version is 9.0.6 and the release timestamp is "09/17/2018 15:38". For what it's worth, I also stopped in at the Xfinity store on my way home from work tonight to see if it happen on their X1 DVR, and it's a thing there, too.

Expert

@cm258 wrote:

This is happening to me, too. It doesn't matter whether auto pad is on or off. It happens on most channels I've tried: CBS, AMC, HBO, etc. I also did the restart, refresh, sync DVR dance to no avail.

Every once in a while, I can get it to work, and it'll add the extra time at the front and the back, but it's very, very hit or miss. Usually, it involves going to cancel the recording, then I notice the extended times are shown, and then I just tell it to keep the recording. But even that's not consistent. And it's maybe 1 out of 10 times, if that.

In looking at the Settings -> About page, I see that the version is 9.0.6 and the release timestamp is "09/17/2018 15:38". For what it's worth, I also stopped in at the Xfinity store on my way home from work tonight to see if it happen on their X1 DVR, and it's a thing there, too.

the networks are nearly at full release of new episodes. perhaps you are out of tuners on particular dates and time so that the extra time can't be recorded. could you outline your set top boxes by type?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

RustyBen, read the whole thread, it’s a known issue.

Frequent Visitor

AutoPad is no longer properly here. This began 1-2 weeks ago and seems that the max concurrent streams available logic used in autopad and presumably manual extend functjons has been broken. We have seen repeated issues with autopad failing to add time to start and/or end of recordings over last week or so. This is happening for long established and new series recordings and multiple channels. The pattern was hard to identify at first, but tonight I found that this is tied to autopad’s tuner capacity logic. The system is now deciding whether or not to autoextend based on seemingly a max of 4 cincurrent tuners/streams, then applying to starts/stops based on series priority. But we have 2 XG1s that provide 12 concurrent tuners plus a nontuner client xi3. So qw less 3 for TV live viewing is 9. Yet systen now that the max available tuners/streams logic used by Autopad & presumably recording options-manual extend seems to be changed & in logic for max concurrent tuners/streams that is used or at least seen then as fall shows kicked in. The recordings used for 1-2 years and any new ones do not all autopad as before. Looking closer after several issues here in last week or so, I believe there is changed logic for max concurrent tuners/streams in this autopadding & extend logic that is defective, We have two XG1s + 1 xi3 for 3 TVs, so 12 tuners less 3 for TV live viewing leaves 9 free. But, the Autopad & presumably manual extend functionality seems to presume a max of 4, then applies this to ending/starting based on series priority. concurrent total streams while we have with this in last week, it does not seem to be channel or recording or series settings. It seems that the autopad/manual extend functionality only works u code is only allowing up to 4 concurrelogic is now limiting max concurrent tuners/streams to 4 total, the less than our setupour systems which combine to 12 tuners (2 arris mx011ANMs w/ local HD + whole house + cloud DVR and 1 client nontuner ) are hen this happens I can also not manually extend, I do so in recording options and save without error, but time does not change. This is a new problem and affects new and older working series recordings. After being surprised by several established recordings starting or ending without padding last week I tried to troubleshoot tonight. I found that the autopad & overall recordings logic seems to presume max streams/tuners at 4 concurrent. After that it will not pad nor allow manual extend. It relies on series priority to allow padding up to that max However, we have two xg1 DVRs (arris mx011ANMs) + 1 nontuner client. This give us 12 streams for concurrent use. If all 3 TVs are active live viewing then there should be 9 concurrent, adequate to cover overlap 2x demand when shows end/start back to back with padding. This used to work fine, now logic seems to This series cutting off I first thought it new problem Commonly seeing Autopad decisions to not extend start and/or stop on recordings. I believe the Autopad logic for max concurrent streams/tuners has recently been changed/broken. The pattern is not shows or channels as far as I can tell and is reactive to changes in series priorities. This also results in inability to manually extend the ones not doing so by autopad, We have two utopad capacity logic It seems to be restricting concurrent tuners/streams too low. I thought this tied timing wise to lasr 1-2 weeks and likely update noted below of 9/27. But it could be earlier and not noted until fall TV kicked in enough to reach this system presumed max tuners number. We have two Arris MX011ANM X1 DVRs with internal disks/whole house DVR/cloud + 1 non-tuner client. Should be 12 streams, 9 free presuming 3 for active TV streams. I believe autopad logic is only allowing up to 4 active streams whether ending or starting and there Release ver. 90.1.2 9/27 rel date recve versuon 3.2.0 stb rimesramp 9/13
Frequent Visitor

Hi, any word as to when this timing bug should be corrected? I still see issues regularly with the logic as of maybe sometime Sept. We have two xg1s so should be 12 tuners, yet now autopad fails to extend as before and seems to do so anytime there are more than 4 active recordings (either same time or overlapping start/end windows). When this occurs, system will also not allow manual extension to “save”. The behavior also seems to behave according to series’ priorities. Does not seem to otherwise be tied to channel r stb, etc. Thanks!
Silver Problem Solver

@lcarydenver wrote:
Hi, any word as to when this timing bug should be corrected? I still see issues regularly with the logic as of maybe sometime Sept. We have two xg1s so should be 12 tuners, yet now autopad fails to extend as before and seems to do so anytime there are more than 4 active recordings (either same time or overlapping start/end windows). When this occurs, system will also not allow manual extension to “save”. The behavior also seems to behave according to series’ priorities. Does not seem to otherwise be tied to channel r stb, etc. Thanks!

My main issue is with the NFL games running over.  I have added 90 minutes to my recordings on Sun-Mon.  

New Poster

Glad to see I am not going crazy. What is the fix? Or when will there be a fix? Thanks.