Community Forum

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Regular Contributor

I just got this box and have to return it. Nobody told me that this box can only be hooked up directly to the tv. This box cannot be connected to a receiver so I had to hook back up my old dvr box. Shocked really that this new box only has one hdmi connection for tv only.
Silver Problem Solver

RDarcy wrote:
I just got this box and have to return it. Nobody told me that this box can only be hooked up directly to the tv. This box cannot be connected to a receiver so I had to hook back up my old dvr box. Shocked really that this new box only has one hdmi connection for tv only.

What?  All X1 boxes only have one HDMI out port.  One of my X1 boxes is connected to my a/v receiver in port and my a/v receiver connects to my TV.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Robert, Rdarcy, is referring that there is no separate audio components, just HDMI or coax out
Official Employee

For future reference for anyone else, box information is conveniently found here

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183
Regular Contributor

This box has one hdmi port which says hdmi tv. Cannot hook it up to a receiver it has to be hooked up directly to the tv. Confirmed last night when I tried and called Comcast tech support. The agent told me over the phone it needs to be connected directly to the tv and even had me try multiple TVs with denon receivers and it will only work with hdmi directly plugged into the tv. I plugged my old dvr box back in to my receiver through hdmi and no issue with it working. I also have the small black boxes with the blue light strip on the side and yes they do only have one hdmi connection which is hdmi out which works fine. The XG1v4 hdmi connection does not say out it says tv hence you need to plug it in directly to the tv.
Expert

RDarcy wrote:
This box has one hdmi port which says hdmi tv. Cannot hook it up to a receiver it has to be hooked up directly to the tv. Confirmed last night when I tried and called Comcast tech support. The agent told me over the phone it needs to be connected directly to the tv and even had me try multiple TVs with denon receivers and it will only work with hdmi directly plugged into the tv. I plugged my old dvr box back in to my receiver through hdmi and no issue with it working. I also have the small black boxes with the blue light strip on the side and yes they do only have one hdmi connection which is hdmi out which works fine. The XG1v4 hdmi connection does not say out it says tv hence you need to plug it in directly to the tv.

do you have a 4k TV? if so, is the receiver 4k HDR10 capable? When you hook up your set top box HDMI cable to the same HDMI input that your old DVR hooked up to, do you get the video on the screen? Do you get sound?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Yes I do have a 4k tv. Receiver has 4k pass through. I’m more than capable with electronics so it’s not me doing something wrong. When I hook up the XG1v4 to the receivers hdmi port I have no picture or sound. I plug the old one back and everything works fine. Do you have the XG1v4? Is it plugged into a receiver? The agent even told me over the phone the XG1v4 can only be hooked up directly through the tv. He even was kind enough to stay on the phone with me while I tried to the receiver and the tv. It only works directly to the tv. No problem with my Xbox one X with 4k as well.
Official Employee

What happens if you put the dvr in the port the Xbox is in? It can go through a receiver unless the HDCP isn’t playing nice.
Regular Contributor

The XG1v4 Does not work through any of the hdmi ports on 2 separate receivers. Everything else I plug in works fine.
Official Employee

What’s the video display on the dvr set to? If it’s 2160, the receivers aren’t letting it pass. The common denominators are the receivers
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availabilityz

I can’t set the XG1v4 to any setting because it displays nothing. No picture or sound like I posted earlier. So that can’t be the issue. The receiver is 4k pass through so that is not the issue. Does anybody in this forum have it hooked up through hdmi on a receiver? The tech agent told me it can’t be hooked up through hdmi on a receiver and then I confirmed it can’t on 2 different receivers on 2 different TVs.
Official Employee

Bypass the receiver, go straight to tv, bypass the receiver and see what the dvr’s display is set at.
Regular Contributor

I returned the box earlier today. Maybe someone else can test that theory here please. Still have not gotten a response if anyone has it hooked up through hdmi on a receiver. Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it. I’m still convinced it has to be hooked up directly to a tv upon proven otherwise.
Official Employee

RDarcy wrote:
I returned the box earlier today. Maybe someone else can test that theory here please. Still have not gotten a response if anyone has it hooked up through hdmi on a receiver. Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it. I’m still convinced it has to be hooked up directly to a tv upon proven otherwise.

From the FAQ, do your receiver meet the requirement

Supports 4K UHD Netflix content on X1 (with Netflix Premium Plan and compatible 4K TV (HDCP 2.2 compliant)). 

Silver Problem Solver

RDarcy wrote:

Did you read through all 9 pages of this thread?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/td-p/2907630

Regular Contributor

Yes I read it. I have HDCP 2.2 and a newer receiver. My receivers and TVs meet all the requirements! Also not one person says they have it hooked up through a receiver. Fact is until proven otherwise you can not hook the XG1v4 to a receiver with hdmi to get picture and sound. It must be hooked up directly to the tv which is absurd when other (older boxes) can do this.
Expert

RDarcy wrote:
Yes I read it. I have HDCP 2.2 and a newer receiver. My receivers and TVs meet all the requirements! Also not one person says they have it hooked up through a receiver. Fact is until proven otherwise you can not hook the XG1v4 to a receiver with hdmi to get picture and sound. It must be hooked up directly to the tv which is absurd when other (older boxes) can do this.

I'm not sure why you are convinced of such. If it works with your TV hooked up directly, what happens when you plug it into the receiver and select that input?

Regular Contributor

I’ve answered that in previous posts. No picture or sound through receiver because this box will only work connected directly to a tv. Nothing really hard to understand about that. Nobody has responded otherwise. Comcast tech support said it as well. Try it yourself

Expert

RDarcy wrote:
I’ve answered that in previous posts. No picture or sound through receiver because this box will only work connected directly to a tv. Nothing really hard to understand about that. Nobody has responded otherwise. Comcast tech support said it as well. Try it yourself

when you connect the DVR /X1 set top box to the receiver and it was already on a live channel, does the display of the receiver display the audio format (ex: dolby)?

Regular Contributor

When I connect my current dvr box I get picture and sound so it displays its working by showing a picture and yes a sound display on the receiver. The XG1v4 would display neither. I’m answering the same questions over and over. Can someone please try it themselves?
Expert

RDarcy wrote:
When I connect my current dvr box I get picture and sound so it displays its working by showing a picture and yes a sound display on the receiver. The XG1v4 would display neither. I’m answering the same questions over and over. Can someone please try it themselves?

the XG1v4 is rare as a hound's tooth right now (new).

Regular Contributor

I got mine and returned mine in Cherry Hill NJ. They had 11 in stock. Just to get it was torture because the Comcast reps don’t know how to get it. First I was told I have to have it professionally installed. I setup an appointment and before the tech arrived he called and said they have not had those boxes in 3 months so he does not have it on the truck. He said I need to order it over the phone and do not need it professionally installed. I ordered it over the phone(called comcast) and they sent me a box that was actually older than the one I have now. It was all scratched up as well...awful looking. I went to the Comcast website which I think states you need to order it online but anyway I called comcast again and that rep said you can only get it in the store so Cherry Hill had it after attempting some other locations. After all that I finally set it up and it doesn’t work because the box can’t be connected through a receiver for picture and sound through the hdmi out port like there other boxes. The hdmi port on the XG1v4 is hdmi tv not hdmi out like the other boxes the Comcast tech rep explained. The Comcast tech rep on the phone told me that when the box wouldn’t work because he thought I was hooking up straight to my tv at first not through a receiver. Dont know if the rep is wrong or right in the end but I can tell You it wouldn’t work through 2 different receivers I have. All of my equipment meets the specs needed to work. Still waiting for someone to comment they have it connected to a receiver for sound and video through hdmi only.
Silver Problem Solver

RDarcy wrote:

Rick has his hooked through a high-end a/v receiver.

Did you see this post?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-4K-XG1v4-AR-AX014ANM-Box-Sound-Bass-Issues/m-p/3017243/high...

Regular Contributor

Finally a response. Great so what receiver does he have? I have a Denon AVR -S910W and an S710W. Both 4k/60P and HDCP 2.2 complient. He is hooked up with just an hdmi connection? After reading the post it’s hooked up to a sound Bar? Does not say it’s hooked up directly to the receiver via hdmi for picture and sound. Where does it mention a high end a/v receiver?
Silver Problem Solver

RDarcy wrote:
Finally a response. Great so what receiver does he have? I have a Denon AVR -S910W and an S710W. Both 4k/60P and HDCP 2.2 complient. He is hooked up with just an hdmi connection? After reading the post it’s hooked up to a sound Bar? Does not say it’s hooked up directly to the receiver via hdmi for picture and sound. Where does it mention a high end a/v receiver?

Marantz.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XG1v4-TV-Box/m-p/3003273/highlight/true#M140683

Regular Visitor

How can I get a 4k x1 box?

Regular Contributor

So if I’m reading that correctly one person says they had success? Sound and picture through hdmi on the receiver? I think that’s what he is saying correct? Makes no sense if that’s the case. Further along in that forum there are other people with the same issue of it not working. As you can tell if you look up my receivers they meet the requirements so sounds like Comcast has an issue on there hands. Simply add an hdmi out and it fixes the issue. I couldn’t even get a picture or sound.
Expert

jds1972 wrote:

How can I get a 4k x1 box?

the v4 is not available everywhere. you can take in your DVR (or swap out an xi3/xid companion box) by going into your local Comcast store. If your area requires a paid professional install then they can set that up for you too.

Official Employee

@jds1972 - I can ship the XG1v4 box if you would like. I will need to get your name, address, account and/or phone number in a private message. Thanks. 

Regular Visitor

I would like to get an XG1v4 4k box.  Am using reply to send this request, as I can't seem to send a new message.  Thank you.

Official Employee

@BLingley104 - Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me. Please provide your full name, address, phone number. Thank you!

Regular Visitor

I’ve also had a nightmare experience trying to get the XG1v4 box here in the SF Bay Area. Called the 1-800 number who told me they reserved me a box at a local Comcast store. Drove out to the store only to be told only the techs have the boxes. Made an appointment and then called the 1-800 number to confirm the tech would have a 4K box as I didn’t want to take time off work only to have my time wasted. Well, the tech came by for my appointment earlier today with the same box I have and tried to insist that it was the 4K box. After wasting a few hours being unable to get the box to work he went to his van to get another box. I took at the box he brought and confirmed the model # matched the old box I had. It then took him some time to get someone on the phone, who told him that the XG1v4 is not available in California....

Any way I can get the XG1v4 sent to me?
Regular Contributor

I also have an XG1v4 hooked directly to an AV receiver. In fact, this is an older AV receiver, Sony something or other, don't recall the exact model. It claims to have a transparent HDMI pass through, no processing, and it works just fine with my XG1V4.

Regular Contributor

The plot thickens...lol. I called Denon(I have an AVR-S910W and S710W) and went through everything and they say it’s the cable box. I call Comcast and get a tech telling me it won’t hook up with a receiver which sounds incorrect at this point. Who knows? Your older receiver complicates it more since most feedback I received was it won’t hook up to older receivers. Mystery to me at this point. My receiver works with everything else but this box.
Regular Contributor

Might want to try some of the tests and suggestions in this thread to narrow things down.  I once had a TV that accepted HDMI output from anything I put on it, including what was at the time the most advanced DirecTV box. Comcast comes in with their box, and HDMI handshake failed. I ended up replacing the TV, actually, and that same box ended up working just fine. HDMI compatibility is a strange thing sometimes, it seems.

Valued Contributor

I installed my XG1v4 yesterday, running through my Denon receiver and then onto the TV.  Works fine.  The receiver needs to be HDCP 2.2 compatible.

Regular Visitor

The hdmi interface should be the same, not sure what you mean 'directly connected to TV'. The hdmi cable from the box should go to the one of the receivers (typically 4 or more) hdmi inputs (hdcp 2.2 compliant). The hdmi out from the receiver should be connected to the TV's hdmi ARC input. In this way you don't need a separate audio connection - the audio signal is returned back to the receiver. Set the receiver to hdmi full control, so when you turn the TV on, it will also automatically switch the receiver on (...and off when the TV is turned off). The volume control of the TV now controls the receivers volume. This works very well with Marantz SC-83 receiver, supporting all audio formats dolby atmos, dts-hd etc.

Regular Visitor

I would like the 4k box shipped to me as well. 

Regular Contributor

My Denon is AVR-S910W. It’s HDCP 2.2 compatible.
Regular Contributor

My setup is hooked up correctly. I might try getting another box and try again
Regular Visitor

I would like a new 4K Dvr shipped to me as well. May I have permission to PM a moderator with my information. Thanks and Merry Christmas
Regular Contributor

Ok went and picked up another XG1v4 box at the Comcast store in Cherry Hill NJ. I’ll give it a try tonight or tomorrow.
Regular Contributor

Not working again but better results. I have a picture this time. Now I get an error code of XRE-00253. Called Comcast support and they could not fix it. Waiting on a tech to come tomorrow morning. Unbelievable
Silver Problem Solver

RDarcy wrote:
Not working again but better results. I have a picture this time. Now I get an error code of XRE-00253. Called Comcast support and they could not fix it. Waiting on a tech to come tomorrow morning. Unbelievable

Yes, it is unbelievable.  I did not have any issues with my install, but I do not have an a/v receiver.  The directions that came with the box were what I used.

Regular Contributor

Starting to think it’s a line outside. Service tech should be here within the hour. Definitely not the receiver or the tv. Box seems fine because it goes through the setup and get almost all the way through it then the error code comes up.
Regular Contributor

Christmas miracle! All is working after the tech came. He was knowledgeable and just plan awesome. Finally someone in Comcast who knew what they were talking about. The issue was the box for my area. The box I got in Cherry Hill was for that area even though the person working there supposedly looked at his computer and said it would work in my area. I guess they just wanted to get me out the door. What poor service. All this running around exchanging and bringing boxes back etc all because every employee I interacted with knew nothing they should have except for the tech who came to my house. He also adjusted my signal because it was too high. Problem solved. Merry Christmas! Thanks to all who tried to help and gave their opinion!