Community Forum

Re: ASPECT RATIO AND HD ISSUES

Contributor

We recently upgraded to Xfinity's X1 box and there is a definite difference in the screen ratio aspect between HD channels and non-HD channels.  On HD channels, people and things are stretched while on non HD channels, faces, people and objects appear normal.

I gone through all the X1 settings, trying different combinations to no avail.  Current video settings are: Zoom = Full, Resolution = 16.9, 1080p60 HD.  I have tried all 16.9 resolutions, with Zoom On and Off - no help.

My TV is a Smart Samsung UN55D6000 and is connected to the X1 box via an HDMI cable.  My Samsung TV is set (in settings) to 16.9.  Changing this setting to 16.9 Wide somewhat solves this problem but the Guide is cut off at the edges and some of the picture is slightly cut off at the edges.   

Note:  This was not a problem with our old Cisco RNG200n.  We simply used the remote and selected “stretch” and left it at there.

Any suggestions?  This problem may be a deal breaker.  Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Dig deeper into to the settings of your TV. Under picture settings you should you should find a setting such as "HD picture size". Both of my Panasonics have it. Adjusting that setting should help you.

Joep42 wrote:

We recently upgraded to Xfinity's X1 box and there is a definite difference in the screen ratio aspect between HD channels and non-HD channels.  On HD channels, people and things are stretched while on non HD channels, faces, people and objects appear normal.

I gone through all the X1 settings, trying different combinations to no avail.  Current video settings are: Zoom = Full, Resolution = 16.9, 1080p60 HD.  I have tried all 16.9 resolutions, with Zoom On and Off - no help.

My TV is a Smart Samsung UN55D6000 and is connected to the X1 box via an HDMI cable.  My Samsung TV is set (in settings) to 16.9.  Changing this setting to 16.9 Wide somewhat solves this problem but the Guide is cut off at the edges and some of the picture is slightly cut off at the edges.   

Note:  This was not a problem with our old Cisco RNG200n.  We simply used the remote and selected “stretch” and left it at there.

Any suggestions?  This problem may be a deal breaker.  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

I have a UN60D7000.

Using HBO as an example, in my area (Houston), we get two HD channels and the rest are SD.

The SD channels are either full-screen or stretched with letterboxing on the top an bottom of the picture.

I have never found a way to get rid of the letterboxing.  But it really doesn't affect my viewing that much anymore because I've gotten used to it. 

I've had X1 for two years.  I've forgotten what the channels looked like with my SA 8300 and RNG200.  But I might not have had that issue.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Well I have a Panasonic, and I just had X1 installed today.  So, I see how to change it in my Panasonic however it cuts off or zooms too much.  If I set the receiver at zoom and have the TV at full it boxes top and bottom.  If I don'y zoom it is a box in the middle.  Is this the best I am going to be able to do?  I would like a SD full screen without losing any of the picture.  Help?

Silver Problem Solver

Ringfinger wrote:

Well I have a Panasonic, and I just had X1 installed today.  So, I see how to change it in my Panasonic however it cuts off or zooms too much.  If I set the receiver at zoom and have the TV at full it boxes top and bottom.  If I don'y zoom it is a box in the middle.  Is this the best I am going to be able to do?  I would like a SD full screen without losing any of the picture.  Help?

It all depends on the source (channel) and what your TV can do with the X1 output.

Some of my SD channels have horizontal black bands, others don't.

A few other SD channels are full-screen.

And some 720p TV's don't display some SD channels in full screen.

I'v had X1 for two years and I've gotten used to its oddities.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

SD??? What is SD? It is very possible the channels you are watching in SD might be available in HD as well.

We live in a 4K UHD world now. SD is a dinosaur. HD is on the way out. 4K UHD will be here soon. 8K is being worked on already...

Ringfinger wrote:

Contributor

I appreciate the input however some channeds are SD and SD only (VH1C for instance)  I assume I just have to hit the aspect button on my TV remote until I see what I like?

Gold Problem Solver

You are correct. You will need to use the TV remote or buy a 3rd party unvrsal remote and program it to help with these issues.

However I do not watch or support SD channels as a matter of priciple.

Ringfinger wrote:

I appreciate the input however some channeds are SD and SD only (VH1C for instance)  I assume I just have to hit the aspect button on my TV remote until I see what I like?

Contributor

Understood.  I'll use the TV remote.

Frequent Visitor

Here is the drill for Xfinity X1 remote:

on the remote control :
Xfinity
Settings (ships wheel icon)
Device settings
Video Display
Video Output Resolution

In other words you have to drill down remote control menus 5 levels to get to the settings.
This needs repeating every time you switch from SD (standard definition) channel to a HD channel or vice versa !!!

It was much easier on the old Motorola set top box (Comcast cable box before the X1 box) where all you did was turn off the cable box leaving the TV on and press the MENU button on the remote.

Expert

CrowDriver wrote:

on the remote control :
Xfinity
Device settings
Video Display
Video Output Resolution

In other words you have to drill down remote control menus 5 levels to get to the settings.
This needs repeating every time you switch from SD (standard definition) channel to a HD channel or vice versa !!!

It was much easier on the old Motorola set top box (Comcast cable box before the X1 box) where all you did was turn off the cable box leaving the TV on and press the MENU button on the remote.

why would you change this? simply set the set top box to a working 1080i/p and let the box and tv work out how to display SD channels or recorded assets.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Agreed. Set the box for 1080P and call it a day.

I think the days of "native resolution" having a better picture are long gone. Especially now that 4K UHD TV sets (upscaling) are now so common.

Rustyben wrote:

CrowDriver wrote:

on the remote control :
Xfinity
Device settings
Video Display
Video Output Resolution

why would you change this? simply set the set top box to a working 1080i/p and let the box and tv work out how to display SD channels or recorded assets.

Frequent Visitor

" simply set the set top box to a working 1080i/p and let the box and tv work out how to display SD channels or recorded assets. "

"Agreed. Set the box for 1080P and call it a day. I think the days of "native resolution" having a better picture are long gone. Especially now that 4K UHD TV sets (upscaling) are now so common."

My TV and my X1 set top box CANNOT and WILL NOT work out how to display SD channels or recorded assests in any way excpet to stretch every Frank Sinatra shaped human face to look like Jackie Gleason with a very bad case of the mumps. And every other object in the scene to be similarly grostesquely bloated.

For persons with a TV like mine and a Comcast X1 box they will need to do exactly as I listed every single time they watch anything in SD unless they want a laughable display. Not a bad image, an unwatchable image. And then revisit the procedure when changing back to an HD program. 5 levels of menus to drill down.

You all are correct that most users will find the long procedure unecessary. But for those with equipment like mine, they need to do this. Every time.

Gold Problem Solver

You can always press EXIT EXIT EXIT 480, EXIT EXIT EXIT 720 or EXIT EXIT EXIT 1080.

They are resolution "shortcuts". Exactly what kind of TV are you talking about?

CrowDriver wrote:

" simply set the set top box to a working 1080i/p and let the box and tv work out how to display SD channels or recorded assets. "

"Agreed. Set the box for 1080P and call it a day. I think the days of "native resolution" having a better picture are long gone. Especially now that 4K UHD TV sets (upscaling) are now so common."

My TV and my X1 set top box CANNOT and WILL NOT work out how to display SD channels or recorded assests in any way excpet to stretch every Frank Sinatra shaped human face to look like Jackie Gleason with a very bad case of the mumps. And every other object in the scene to be similarly grostesquely bloated.

For persons with a TV like mine and a Comcast X1 box they will need to do exactly as I listed every single time they watch anything in SD unless they want a laughable display. Not a bad image, an unwatchable image. And then revisit the procedure when changing back to an HD program. 5 levels of menus to drill down.

You all are correct that most users will find the long procedure unecessary. But for those with equipment like mine, they need to do this. Every time.

Expert

CrowDriver wrote:

on the set top box (xfinity) hit the xFinity button>>settings (gear)>>Device Settings>>Video Display>>zoom  hit ok while zoom is selected and select none. hit exit. now no more zoom from comcast. 

If you are still seeing zoom then that is your television settings. go thru menu to turn off any tv related zoom.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.