Community Forum

Random Distortion

Regular Contributor

Random Distortion

I keep getting random distortion watching TV. It is recorded in my DVR recordings so it must be coming from the cable side. I can replay the incidents during the recording. Here is a link to it. It is almost like streaks shooting across the screen. Any idea of what is wrong?

Link to Videos of Distortion:

<Edited, link provided personal informaiton>

Expert

Re: Random Distortion

@Tek wrote:

I keep getting random distortion watching TV. It is recorded in my DVR recordings so it must be coming from the cable side. I can replay the incidents during the recording. Here is a link to it. It is almost like streaks shooting across the screen. Any idea of what is wrong?

Link to Videos of Distortion:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/We9Ub2cP6hS9Fqx2A 

watch the stream version of the same programs. do they glitch in same place? that will isolate it to the 'network' or the home plant including equipment.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Just watched the same recording and scene on my Stream app  and that scene contains no distortion.  

I can replay the the distortion on my DVR over and over. Lives in the recording on the box, but does not appear in the same recording on the Xfinity Stream app.

Expert

@Tek wrote:

Just watched the same recording and scene on my Stream app  and that scene contains no distortion.  

I can replay the the distortion on my DVR over and over. Lives in the recording on the box, but does not appear in the same recording on the Xfinity Stream app. 

you could try a new DVR and see if that fixes it. Could be that the hard drive is failing.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I called Comcast for the second time. They said my signal levels are well above spec and they just keep rebooting my boxes.

Regular Contributor

Happened on live TV tonight watching the news. I would assume this then rules out the hard drive in the DVR?

Official Employee

Do you see it on all channels or just a couple? Only the specs of the internal modem can be checked remotely, not the individual frequencies of channels

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Seems to be only on local channels CBS, FOX, NBC, and Channel 7.

I have not noticed it on premium networks like Starz or Science Channel. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Do you see it on all channels or just a couple? Only the specs of the internal modem can be checked remotely, not the individual frequencies of channels

@ComcastAndrew it is limited to local channels. Anyway to report this to Comcast Engineers? Last time something like this happened they discovered an issue at their distrbution side.

Official Employee

No, a tech has to come out and verify the problem and refer it to the maintenance team. If you want assistance scheduling a tech out, let us know

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
No, a tech has to come out and verify the problem and refer it to the maintenance team. If you want assistance scheduling a tech out, let us know

Same issue. Scheduled a tech. Feel it will be a waste because it looks like it coming from the head end. 

Expert

@Tek wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Same issue. Scheduled a tech. Feel it will be a waste because it looks like it coming from the head end. 

while viewing using a smart device or streaming web site do you see the same distortions at the same point of the program? on the X1 set top box if you hit rewind and play that point again is it the same in the same place? do you have a powered splitter? if so, have you tried doing a power reboot of the splitter?

Official Employee

The tech will be able to tell the cause and where it’s coming from one way or the other. If it’s the head end it would be citywide and there would be more complaints.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Tek wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

while viewing using a smart device or streaming web site do you see the same distortions at the same point of the program? on the X1 set top box if you hit rewind and play that point again is it the same in the same place? do you have a powered splitter? if so, have you tried doing a power reboot of the splitter?

Not visible on the stream online. Occurs at random. Happens on live and recordings. I can play the distortion back anytime it occurs by rewinding. My house has no power splitter. The cable comes off the pole into the basement and into my boxes. I have a centralized media rack. They decided to not put an amp in when they wired the house last year. 

The house is a year old so my line from the pole is a year old and all house wiring too. Thing is it all comes in and into the box. So there is only about 2 feet of house wiring to the box. 

Official Employee

Hi, Tek. Thanks for posting. When is your tech visit scheduled for? I'd like to follow up with you here afterward to check in and see how things went.

Regular Contributor

Wednesday. I have Google video of what is happening, but I cannot post it here. I can PM you it if you would like. 

A family member says they notice the same and they live down the road. 

Regular Contributor

they have to send a bucket truck to fix the pole outside my house on the street.

Signal fluctuating from it. How long does that take? The tech said he was opening a ticket to get it fixed.
Official Employee

It depends on severity but it’s up to the maintenance team but generally somewhere between same day and 72 hours. ComcastMorgan should be able to see if/when the ticket is closed

Official Employee

Thanks for the additional information, Tek. Yes, please send me a private message with your name and I will take a look at your account in order to address your questions regarding timing and what to expect next. I'll reply from there once I see your message come through. Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Just an update. I am convinced this is coming from the pole. I am waiting for a pole truck to check the connection at the pole.

It is happening on my XG2 boxes in different rooms on Live TV. These boxes have their own tuners so this eliminates the possibility of a bad box. Unlikely,  that all boxes in the house are bad. 

I dont have an amp.

My wiring comes into the house and only goes 2 feet into the boxes. All boxes are centralized in a media rack. 

Hoping to hear soon about the pole connection. The pixelation is driving me nuts. 

Thank you @ComcastMorgan for your help. 

Official Employee

You're welcome. I will check back in with you again soon. I can imagine the frustration the pixelation must be causing! We should be able to get this fixed soon.

Regular Contributor

Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Just an update as this problem is still happening. The support forum Comcast reps have been great.

1. Tech came out said it was coming from pole.

2. Aerial team made repairs to the port connection on the pole.

3. Problem still happening.

4. Sent a in-house XFINITY Tech. Checked everything and replaced all equipment....

5. and still happening tonight. 

6. Distortion is recorded by the boxes and can be replayed. 

7. Boxes are all new - same issue.

8. I have no house wiring as the boxes are in the basement 1 foot from where the Comcast feed enters the house.

9. Techs say signals are perfect during last visit. 

Hoping this is something that can be escalated because it is really really annoying.