Community Forum

RDK-03004 / Connection Issues

Frequent Visitor

RDK-03004 / Connection Issues

It seems like this is a pretty well-known issue, but I'll describe it anyway. I am a new (and very unsatisfied) X1 customer. I had a tech out about 3 weeks ago to install the X1 cable box, and it worked for a few days. Gradually I began seeing a lot of different issues... the guide would get really slow (~10 secs to scroll to the next channel), the image would occassionally get choppy, the box would reboot on its own multiple times a day, the screen would get stuck on 'Welcome to Xfinity' or one of the other powering-up screens, etc. I could usually get things to work if I unplugged the box for 10 seconds and then turned it back on. I've also called customer service a handful of times... sometimes they've been able to reset the box successfully, sometimes they've reported that they cannot connect to the box. After the last call, I am not just getting the 'Something's not quite right' RDK-03004 error screen. Unplugging the box doesn't do anything.

I have a tech appointment scheduled, but was unable to find a time that worked for me until about 2 1/2 weeks out. I'm pretty angry at the notion that I'll be paying for a non-functioning service for the next few weeks. Especially since the delay pushes me out of the 30 day zone where I can cancel my service, which I'm pretty tempted to do at this point. Is there anything anyone on here can do, or suggest that I do between now and when the tech arrives?

Oh, and I should note that I've had no issues with the secondary box. The Internet also works well enough, although I had some issues turning off my xfinitywifi public hotspot.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: RDK-03004 / Connection Issues

You have classic signal related issues. Hopefully your next tech visit will resolve it.
Official Employee

Can you give a little detail on how the cable is ran? Splitters, amp etc.

Your modem is well within spec. 

The XG2 is showing offline.

The DTA doesn't need as nearly as a strong signal as the XG2 does to work. Have you tried temporarily switching locations of the 2 boxes? 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help! It appears to me that the coaxial cable runs from the wall to a splitter, which then sends one line to the modem and one to the cable box. I don't see anything that could be an amp.

I haven't tried switching the boxes, since it will be a bit of a pain the way the way we have the secondary box hooked up through some shelving. But, I can give it a try if that's the best way forward.

Official Employee

youngjc1 wrote:

Thanks for the help! It appears to me that the coaxial cable runs from the wall to a splitter, which then sends one line to the modem and one to the cable box. I don't see anything that could be an amp.

I haven't tried switching the boxes, since it will be a bit of a pain the way the way we have the secondary box hooked up through some shelving. But, I can give it a try if that's the best way forward.

Possibility it's the splitter too. If you can,swap legs on the splitter just to see (since you know the modem works fine). 

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's the issue. I tried both swapping legs, and also bypassing the spliter and connecting the cable box directly to the wall (with a different coaxial cable, just to verify that it isn't a cable issue). Neither got me past the error screen.