Community Forum

Programs disappearing from DVR without being deleted!!

New Poster

Programs disappearing from DVR without being deleted!!

I got a new X1 box about a week ago ad have noticed that programs are disppearing from my DVR at the rate of a couple per day without being deleted by me. I am nowhere close to capacity on my DVR and the programs are not more than a month old at best. I saw some entries on this problem in the forum but most were older. I hate having to try and scramble to see if the deleted programs are on demand and never had this problem with any older boxtops!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Programs disappearing from DVR without being deleted!!

Was this an X1 DVR for X1 DVR swap?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

yes but the old one was the regular version and this one is the smaller 4K version from what the tech told me. I don't have a 4K TV yet but it seemed to be fine until this strange missing programs issue began.

Diamond Problem Solver

When you swap an X1 DVR, the recordings that repopulate the new DVR come from the cloud. The cloud is not an exact mirror copy of the old DVR. The cloud holds the last 60 hours recorded. As you make new recordings, those older ones will disappear. Apologies, if this wasn’t made clear when you swapped them out.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Just so I understand, this has nothing to do then with the capacity of the new dvr right? Also, does this also mean that none of the programs recorded since I got the new dvr should be erased ? I have noticed that the ones being randomly erased were ones that I had stored on the older dvr.

Diamond Problem Solver

Yes, both dvrs have the same hard drive capacity. And yes, anything recorded would physically be on the new DVRs hard drive and should all be there

New Poster

Thanks a lot Andrew, I appreciate the help and quick replies. I could not figure this thing out! Thought I was losing it the first time or two it happened, but then I wrote down everything on the dvr and still saw stuff vanishing.

New Poster

I have this problem too but it is not due to a box swap. Recordings just randomly disappear for now reason. Last night I had two episodes of Modern Family saved, today there is only one. I had Iron Man 3 saved from a few months ago, today it’s gone. Countless other recordings are gone as well with the box no where near capacity. This is not the first time I’ve experienced this problem. It’s been a couple months now and after being on the phone with support numerous times, no one has an answer as to why. Extremely frustrating as I pay for a DVR, it shouldn’t randomly delete things I haven’t watch.
Frequent Visitor

Looks like no response from Xfinity.

Same thing happend to us and it looks like Xfinity knows about it - it looks like they updated the box and then recorded programs disappeared.  Their support is avoiding any specific answer.

Official Employee

Hello all, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about your programs being deleted and not knowing why. I would be more than happy to further look into these deleted recordings concern. In order to do so, can you please send me a Private Message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different?

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message". 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Comcast asked me to privately contact them outside of this message.  But just a few days ago they called my phone and said that their had been a "large outage" and that they were restoring service, however, that was never communicated by any of the service calls we had previously made.  And they could not define what "large outage" meant, presumably it meant that there was a huge server or cloud failure or that they implemented a bogus software change that ruined many accounts.  (They called to ask if their software upgrade had restored their last failed update - No it didn't) The truth is that they don't communicate the truth - especially to customers - and they only come closer after a stream of lower tier service workers waste your time with "solutions" that even YOU know won't work - meanwhile the guys upstairs, "in the know" refuse to admit or come clean to the masses on the actual issues.  This is why The Comcast Xfinity Monster Corporation works hard to anger it's customers and push all of us to cut cable and go with adhoc mini providers like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and others.  Truthfully, I think that employees deep inside Comcast really are hoping that we punish Comcast by leaving - it will mean less work for them.

Expert

@tightwadguy wrote:

Comcast asked me to privately contact them outside of this message.  But just a few days ago they called my phone and said that their had been a "large outage" and that they were restoring service, however, that was never communicated by any of the service calls we had previously made.  And they could not define what "large outage" meant, presumably it meant that there was a huge server or cloud failure or that they implemented a bogus software change that ruined many accounts.  (They called to ask if their software upgrade had restored their last failed update - No it didn't) The truth is that they don't communicate the truth - especially to customers - and they only come closer after a stream of lower tier service workers waste your time with "solutions" that even YOU know won't work - meanwhile the guys upstairs, "in the know" refuse to admit or come clean to the masses on the actual issues.  This is why The Comcast Xfinity Monster Corporation works hard to anger it's customers and push all of us to cut cable and go with adhoc mini providers like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and others.  Truthfully, I think that employees deep inside Comcast really are hoping that we punish Comcast by leaving - it will mean less work for them.

did you send a message to @ComcastAmira as detailed in the post just before your post?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

tightwadguy, a service interruption in your area would result in a loss of service but may not point to the issues you're seeing with your DVR. Allow us to investigate. Send me or Amira a private message for help. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I will spend more hours on this issue - by contacting yet another low level supposed expert who will not be able to do anything - This is why people get frustrated by Comcast - when the call takers who are supposedly experts go over their scripts -  <Edited>.  That is not service, that is delay tactics, especially when people up the chain absolutely know what the issue is or if they just pushed out bad software that wrecked your local DVR drive.  I lost programming boo hoo - now I have to make a tactical decision or go thru  another 100 questions that will end in - yeah Sorry can't do anything.  That is a loss of many hours LITERALLY that they will not compensate ME for.

Frequent Visitor

You have my permission to investigate.  Let me know  what you learn about the missing programs.

Frequent Visitor

Ken - Let me know what you find out.  If you find out that there was a software change to my system or that there was an upate in the night that caused the loss of programming - feel free to post the answer.

Frequent Visitor

Same thing happened to me. 30+ saved Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives episodes (only ones remaining were new episodes) just disappeared overnight. Not sure, could be other things I forgot also got removed.

New Poster

When I click your name your about page comes up but no message link.
Regular Contributor

Noticed something else today, some of the older recordings are only partial shows. They cut off halfway through.

Expert

@reggie77 wrote:

Noticed something else today, some of the older recordings are only partial shows. They cut off halfway through.

play one or more of those shows that cutoff halfway through. press the OK button. does DVR or 'cloud icon' + DVR show in lower left of screen?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Ken - Let me know what you find out.  If you find out that there was a software change to my system or that there was an upate in the night that caused the loss of programming - feel free to post the answer.

Got your message. Will follow up there. 

Regular Visitor

I had the same thing happen. I was at about 60% and dvr’s we’re not working correctly. Had to restart both. The next day most save programs were gone and I was down to 2%!!! Do you know how many hours of programs were just gone??? Unbelievable!!! Some thing needs to be done so this will not happen, or customers should be substantially compensated.

In addition, now I have no delete as a choice when I start a recorded program! I have to go through the whole program and wait for it to finish on its own, then the box with delete and no delete comes on the screen. What’s up with that?

Frequent Visitor

I spent literally 4 hours on chat previously and an hour on the phone today.  I have isolated more of the story and have had comcast contractors insist that it is all in my mind, but numerous people are coming forward to say it also happened to them.  Comcast is quite aggressive about denying this and there seems to be a general attitude of "the customer is always wrong."  The incident occurred in April initially when Comcast had what they call an "outage" which they vaguely describe, and will not elaborate upon, but sounds like a software issue - I believe a bad update.  They said the "outage" or "hack" as I call it, apparently caused them to reformat my drive and then restart the system and then restore it back up from "the cloud."  The problem was most of the drive was not recovered nor on "the cloud" I was not aware that there is a cloud and then learned how to access it.  I also learned that this cloud allows only 60 hours of programming and your DVR allows 150 hrs, so even though your DVR can record more, mine is being erased by the cloud because the 60 cloud hours are used up.  ie: the DVR says lots of room, but the cloud is full, so the cloud is deleting my DVR.  They say that you can delete the cloud without affecting the DVR, but if I delete anything in the cloud, it auto deletes the DVR, effectively making my 150 hour DVR into a 60 hour DVR, since the cloud is invisibly deleting programs.  They kept telling me that it was not possible, until I showed them that what it was doing.  Tonight they admited it is due to Comcast software changes on the DVR/System that they installed, which I already knew, since this happened after one of their" updates". (or "downgrades" as I call it. Many other people are affected, so it is not credible that they don't know about this, and it appears that they are not talking about what is going on here, which is dishonest.  Still not solved, but I am getting only HALF the programs and service, and I am feeling cheated.  They will not allow you to turn off the cloud storage and It feels to me like they want to start charging us for more cloud storage that they now force us to use.  Very angry with these clowns, not because there are issues, but because of their dishonesty.

Frequent Visitor

See my post.  Many people affected by this Comcast software downgrade.  People are upset.  No solution being provided by Comcast.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for acknowledging my complaint. I’ve been with Comcast for way over 25 years and I’ve learned not to call them for help. It’s like the blind leading the blind. You can be on the phone for hours, trying everything they throw at you, but in the end the call was useless, a waste of time. Needless to say, I usually just reboot everything (TV and DVR) and hope for the best. If that fails, I google the problem and look for an answer. My DVRs hold way more than 150 hours, so I lost complete seasons of programs that I had been saving. Now, I can’t even delete a program when I pull it up to watch. I have to fast forward through the whole thing, then delete it when the question in the pop up box ask if I want to delete. Incredible! Wish they would all get their ducks in order. Good luck to all of us.

Official Employee

Hey All, 

Thanks for posting about your experiencing with your missing DVR content. There was a known issue that resulted from a bug in the firmware available on some xg1v3s that has been resolved. I do not have info on whether or not the missing recordings have returned. Apologies for the inconvenience. Please let me know if new recordings disappear from your saved library. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Finally.  Most people just want the truth.  People know when something is not kosher.  They don't like being "shined on" like a dult. They don't like being treated with delays and inane answers that we all know are wrong, and then having to prove themselves truthful, like an accused criminal, before anyone will do anything.         Every company has issues and it is how they treat people that is the difference.   Comcast very clearly has a distinct culture of "the customer is always wrong" (Probably the customers ARE wrong most of the time - and most issues probably ARE solved with equipment education) But don't have engineers say "yah yah yah - the customer is wrong" - without actually CHECKING - because that is called laziness and they wind up dumping their work on their co-workers. You gave a specific answer that makes sense.  What was obviously the most probable problem.  Comcast has tons of different equiptment that are updated and have to communicate using complex software to outdated hardware - we know that - please don't treat customers like they are stupid. Thanks for a specific and reasonable answer that is obviously rooted in solution seeking thoughtfulness.  We need to have faith if we are going to continue with a company, I was making plans to bail out of Comcast, now I can have a little faith again.

Regular Visitor

Having the exact same issue as @tightwadguy detailed up above. This started for me only about a week or so ago. As soon as the recordings on the cloud hit 100% not only is it deleting the older recordings there, but also on my physical X1 DVR as well, even though it is currently only at around 14%. Had a couple techs come out yesterday to look into the issue and they also couldn't figure it out with the assistance of their own tech support/engineering "app/forum". They even witnessed first-hand, recordings being deleted inbetween re-booting the DVR. I've been monitoring the Cloud and physical DVR tonight and verified that newer recordings are still removing older ones on both platforms even though there's still plenty of room on the DVR itself.

I've seen several responses from Comcast employees ( @ComcastChe ,  @ComcastKenF ,  @ComcastAlly , etc.) on various threads stating that this is a known issue, there is a national ticket, and that a fix has either been pushed out or is in the process of being pushed out, but considering this is still an issue for me I'm dubious of any claims of the issue being "fixed". One of the techs that came over yesterday requested I call him back in a few days to see if there have been any further developments, but I'd also like to add my account to this ongoing support issue/investigation here. Is there a specific Comcast employee on the forums that would be best to PM with my information?

New Poster

Same here. Just noticed I lost about 7 or 8 movies that I saved since around May 15th.

New Poster

FYI, I had my wireless modem swapped around May 1st but not the DVR.

Expert

@Etain wrote:

Having the exact same issue as @tightwadguy detailed up above. This started for me only about a week or so ago. As soon as the recordings on the cloud hit 100% not only is it deleting the older recordings there, but also on my physical X1 DVR as well, even though it is currently only at around 14%. Had a couple techs come out yesterday to look into the issue and they also couldn't figure it out with the assistance of their own tech support/engineering "app/forum". They even witnessed first-hand, recordings being deleted inbetween re-booting the DVR. I've been monitoring the Cloud and physical DVR tonight and verified that newer recordings are still removing older ones on both platforms even though there's still plenty of room on the DVR itself.

I've seen several responses from Comcast employees ( @ComcastChe ,  @ComcastKenF ,  @ComcastAlly , etc.) on various threads stating that this is a known issue, there is a national ticket, and that a fix has either been pushed out or is in the process of being pushed out, but considering this is still an issue for me I'm dubious of any claims of the issue being "fixed". One of the techs that came over yesterday requested I call him back in a few days to see if there have been any further developments, but I'd also like to add my account to this ongoing support issue/investigation here. Is there a specific Comcast employee on the forums that would be best to PM with my information?

pick a few of the recordings (older) on your home DVR connected TV. while playing hit the ok button. does 'DVR' or 'cloud icon +DVR' appear in lower left of the screen?

New Poster

This issue has not been resolved, as it is happening on my DVR over 6 weeks after this post.

Official Employee

JeffJohnson7980, I'd be happy to investigate this. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Regular Visitor

Pretty pathetic @ComcastKenF that I couldn't even get a response from you or other Comcast employees concerning this issue when I specifically tagged three of you almost two months ago. I wrote two paragraphs and asked for direction on how to pursue a resolution and from whom - and I received 0 response from a Comcast employee. But, someone writes a single sentence yesterday saying that they're experiencing the same issue and they get a response within 24 hours. 

Thankfully, with some help from the techs I was finally able to fix the issue even though it took several weeks.

Silver Problem Solver

@Etain wrote:

Pretty pathetic @ComcastKenF that I couldn't even get a response from you or other Comcast employees concerning this issue when I specifically tagged three of you almost two months ago. I wrote two paragraphs and asked for direction on how to pursue a resolution and from whom - and I received 0 response from a Comcast employee. But, someone writes a single sentence yesterday saying that they're experiencing the same issue and they get a response within 24 hours. 

Thankfully, with some help from the techs I was finally able to fix the issue even though it took several weeks.

Can you share the fix for everyone?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

On my end, I replaced my DVR, deleted all recorded programs from the Cloud, and had to go through and cancel all the scheduled programs that were no longer active. The techs replaced a couple of line connections. They also did some behind the scenes fixes after consulting with techs on some special employee-only forum. I don't really know what was done on their end.

Tbh, I can't say exactly what "fixed" the issue. Whether it was one particular thing, or all of them, or something else entirely. I also can't say exactly what caused the issue in the first place. It could have been one thing or multiple things. Between tech support on the phone, the techs that actually came to my home, and people at the xfinity store, I've heard multiple differing theories.