Community Forum

Programming the X15 remote to control TV and Audio receiver.

Frequent Visitor

Programming the X15 remote to control TV and Audio receiver.

Because, like many people,  my audio receiver needs to turn on and off with my television, I searched Xfinity.com for how to use my X15 to accomplish this. I found that on more than one xfinity web page,  it says things like "How to Program Your Xfinity X1 Remote for TV and Audio Control", "How to program your remote control to your TV and Audio Device", "You can program your Xfinity remote to work with your TV and audio/video (AV) receiver, ...like a sound bar and other pieces of audio equipment." But, I can't find where it acually explains how to do this. I can only find where it explains how to program the remote to control the TV  or  an Audio Device, but not how to control the TV and an Audio Device .  So, is it possible to program the X1 remote to control your TV and  your audio device, as muliple web pages state, or are the web pages wrong, and you can only program the remote to control your TV or  your Audio device, but not both? 

Expert

Re: Programming the X15 remote to control TV and Audio receiver.

@Olblueiiii wrote:

Because, like many people,  my audio receiver needs to turn on and off with my television, I searched Xfinity.com for how to use my X15 to accomplish this. I found that on more than one xfinity web page,  it says things like "How to Program Your Xfinity X1 Remote for TV and Audio Control", "How to program your remote control to your TV and Audio Device", "You can program your Xfinity remote to work with your TV and audio/video (AV) receiver, ...like a sound bar and other pieces of audio equipment." But, I can't find where it acually explains how to do this. I can only find where it explains how to program the remote to control the TV  or  an Audio Device, but not how to control the TV and an Audio Device .  So, is it possible to program the X1 remote to control your TV and  your audio device, as muliple web pages state, or are the web pages wrong, and you can only program the remote to control your TV or  your Audio device, but not both? 

when you pair your TV the remote will control the TV's audio. when you also pair the audio device you remove the 'control TV audio' changing to controlling the audio device's audio. the power button should turn off the TV and the audio device.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

If you’re using the onscreen assist when pairing, As soon as you were done pairing the tv, you should have been prompted to pair your audio device.

Press A and go to Remote Settings follow the prompts and look up your manufacturer, try different codes and try power on and off and volume control

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response, Rustyben. Using the onscreen guide, I programed the TV to work with the remote and I confirmed that the remote turns the TV off and on. It also controlled the TV volume as you said. Then, when prompted by the guide, I tried the Audio/Video Receiver codes until I found the one that allowed the remote to adjust the volume and turn the receiver off and on by pushing the Power button. But the TV power is unaffected. It's as though the remote forgot about controlling the TV and will only work with the A/V Receiver.  If I go back and program the TV again, then the remote will only control the TV. I've gone through the entire process a couple dozen times, trying every available code. The best I can achieve is A/V Receiver control and no control of TV power, because as soon as I enter an A/V Receiver code after first successfully programming the TV, TV control goes away. 

@Rustyben 

Expert

@Olblueiiii wrote:

Thank you for your response, Rustyben. Using the onscreen guide, I programed the TV to work with the remote and I confirmed that the remote turns the TV off and on. It also controlled the TV volume as you said. Then, when prompted by the guide, I tried the Audio/Video Receiver codes until I found the one that allowed the remote to adjust the volume and turn the receiver off and on by pushing the Power button. But the TV power is unaffected. It's as though the remote forgot about controlling the TV and will only work with the A/V Receiver.  If I go back and program the TV again, then the remote will only control the TV. I've gone through the entire process a couple dozen times, trying every available code. The best I can achieve is A/V Receiver control and no control of TV power, because as soon as I enter an A/V Receiver code after first successfully programming the TV, TV control goes away. 

@Rustyben 

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi @Olblueiiii

Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd be more than happy to help investigate this further. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name. If you aren't the account holder, I will also need their name and the phone number associated with the account. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi @Olblueiiii

If you're still in need of assistance, feel free to contact us. Take care.