Community Forum

Previously aired episodes not available for viewing On Demand with X1

Regular Visitor

Previously aired episodes not available for viewing On Demand with X1

I was recently required to change by set-top box to an X1 box.  Since that time, the one functionality that I loved (and used to tell people about with Comcast/Xfinity), no longer works.  Because of work and other commitments, my husband and I are often not able to watch certain shows when they air.   Over the last several years we've chosen to use Xfinity on Demand and watch the shows we like, when we like.  This worked great, because we could plan to watch shows that aired on Friday on Sunday and if we weren't able to watch it on Sunday we could double up the next Sunday.  Now that we have this fancy new set-top box, we can no longer do this.  Some episodes are available, some are not.  Some show that they're there but not available until 2 days later.  I've seen several responses from the Comcast team noting that there are contracts about when shows are available and for how long and that is the cause of the missing episodes.  Which makes sense if your talking future episodes.  It does not make sense that this didn't seem to be an issue with the older box that we had.  I have a problem with the fact that your company required me to get a new box, that provides me with less functionality than the older one did.  The fix is as simple as your programmers changing the "if" logic of what users can see on demand. If an episode has not yet aired (makes sense) I can't watch it on demand but if it is a Repeat, it should be available. Given the cost of Xfinity, unless something is changed to revert this functionaliy, I will be finding an alternative company for phone, cable and internet.  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Previously aired episodes not available for viewing On Demand with X1

You were not forced to upgrade to X1, you were likely forced to simply upgrade a very old box that does not support the upcoming transition to MPEG4, and were sold X1 in the process simply because that's the latest thing. There are still non-X1 boxes that Comcast still provides.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response John.  Please note that we were required/forced to accept the new set-top box we were told that we had to change to, I was never given a choice to choose a non X1 box.  This new box, while it does have lovely picture icons and a remote that accepts voice commands (sometimes), has less functionality than the old box when it comes to what I can watch.  

Visitor

We experience this same problem. An episode will air, but when we go to see it on On Demand, the screen shows that a repeat of the episode is scheduled for the next day - no option to watch.

Admin1

Hello All -- Do you have example episodes and shows you're seeing this happen with? 

Regular Visitor

A perfect example today is the show Street Outlaws. All but one of the episodes are not available to watch today On-Demand because they repeat at some date in the future.
Admin1

x1confused -- Thank you. I will alert our On Demand team. Please let us know if there are any other missing assets so we may address. 

New Poster

I also have the same problem with episodes not appearing until a few days later, but they are available to stream on the station's website.  For instance, the latest episode of Marvel agents of shield: S4 E06 - The Good Samaritan.

New Poster

Hello,
I am excpeiencing this issue with Better Call Saul on AMC.
Thanks
Official Employee

Hi Al1232! Are you still having issues with Better Calls Saul on AMC? 

New Poster

Seems this issue has never been resolved, since I encounter it on a regular basis, and it is so very frustrating!  I am rewatching GOT past seasons before the new season begins. Season 3, episode 8, was not available on demand last night, it was listed as airing today - so my only options were to 'remind' me or see other times it airs.  Every other episode for the season was available - and they ALL air today!  Today, as I tried to watch Season 4, episode 4, I get the same problem. Every episode airs today, yet I am not able to watch this one episode when I want to watch it. I have even tried watching it via guide, and moving FW to that episode (airing later today), and I get the same choices as on demand - remind me or other air times. 

I feel like we pay a fortune to Comcast, between the expensive service fees and being forced to rent all their equipment, for service that frequently is most unsatisfactory. Thankfully, HBO's service is much better, and I can watch it via their app - but why should we all have to huddle around the iPad instead of our tv?  I am truly frustrated to repeatedly encounter issues watching the content I pay for, via the service I pay for!

Expert

Ortiz6 wrote:

Seems this issue has never been resolved, since I encounter it on a regular basis, and it is so very frustrating!  I am rewatching GOT past seasons before the new season begins. Season 3, episode 8, was not available on demand last night, it was listed as airing today - so my only options were to 'remind' me or see other times it airs.  Every other episode for the season was available - and they ALL air today!  Today, as I tried to watch Season 4, episode 4, I get the same problem. Every episode airs today, yet I am not able to watch this one episode when I want to watch it. I have even tried watching it via guide, and moving FW to that episode (airing later today), and I get the same choices as on demand - remind me or other air times. 

I feel like we pay a fortune to Comcast, between the expensive service fees and being forced to rent all their equipment, for service that frequently is most unsatisfactory. Thankfully, HBO's service is much better, and I can watch it via their app - but why should we all have to huddle around the iPad instead of our tv?  I am truly frustrated to repeatedly encounter issues watching the content I pay for, via the service I pay for!

GOT? 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Hi Ortiz6. You certainly are not forced to rent our equipment. You have the option of purchasing your own cable boxes and modems to avoid our equipment rental fees. 

I have checked out Game Of Thrones, Season 3 Episode 8 and it plays normally via on Demand via the X1 box and XFINITY Stream. Are you getting an error code when attempting to watch the program? 

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

I recently experienced the same issue with General Hospital. Friday , December 8th episode did not aire because of the extended news coverage of the local weather. With my old comcast box I could go to On Demand and watch the missed episode a day or two later. With the new box, I cannot go back and watch the missed episode. I'm not a happy customer about this. Please help!

Expert

myself29 wrote:

I recently experienced the same issue with General Hospital. Friday , December 8th episode did not aire because of the extended news coverage of the local weather. With my old comcast box I could go to On Demand and watch the missed episode a day or two later. With the new box, I cannot go back and watch the missed episode. I'm not a happy customer about this. Please help!

I'm showing all the episodes. It may be due to settings on your account that cause anything you have as a recording to not let you see the on-demand. If you have that wrong recording still in your recordings list remove it then search for general hospital and select episodes and then the episode will show up to watch.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Official Employee

Hi myself29, you may also need to reboot your cable box. The content should be available on demand even when you record the program, your DVR should give you a few options to watch the show such as on demand or watch from your DVR. If you don't have the functions after you reboot the DVR we may want to look into replacing the equipment. Please reach back out to me here if you need any additional assistance. 

New Poster

Having same issue, quick 3 examples: #1 "wisdom on the crowd"= pilot , then episode 3, no episodes 2. Also we DVRed the whole season ,yet no episode 2. Also , as soon as we watch there is no on demand to watch- possibly CBS. #2 "Wynona Erp" - again DVR the series, yet my season 2 starts on my DVRand on demand at episode 6 - so what happened to season2 episodes 1-5?? They should be on my DVR and On demand. Of note, all 13 episodes of season are available on demand. #3 Van Helsing = another show I am Recording the series were missing several early season 2 episodes, but now they are available- so basically last week episodes were missing, now they r back. So obviously Comcast is having issues with the " on demand ", and people's DVR shows "in the cloud".
Silver Problem Solver

I have had issues where programming was moved out of their time slots because of sporting events running over.  The only way I could find them was to search On Demand.

New Poster

This is frustrating.  Missed last night's modern family and on demand list doesn't even show it.  Season 9, episodes 1 through 14 are listed and next weeks episode 16, but no ep 15.  I can watch ep 15 on the app on my phone, but would prefer to watch on a 60" screen connected to my X1 box.

Expert

@JGIjr wrote:

This is frustrating.  Missed last night's modern family and on demand list doesn't even show it.  Season 9, episodes 1 through 14 are listed and next weeks episode 16, but no ep 15.  I can watch ep 15 on the app on my phone, but would prefer to watch on a 60" screen connected to my X1 box.

if you see the cloud copy on your app your TV should see it too. try using voice command "device settings" and select "sync DVR". then see if the recording shows up again. 

Contributor

I'm trying to watch Ramseys Kitchen nightmares, a series.

Comcast on demand either says remind, or plays something else when i click on watch.

Apart from this, there are always episodes of other shows missing.

It's a broken system.