Community Forum

Prevent programs from recording on both Spanish and English Channels, Recording Only in English

Regular Visitor

Prevent programs from recording on both Spanish and English Channels, Recording Only in English

I found this same problem mentioned in an archived thread with no real solutions only lame answers that did not address the issue.   I want to be able to record all of a particular Sports teams games, lets say, a premier league Soccer team.  It does not give me the opportunity to only record them on a particular channel so I get duplicate recordings, one on an HD channel and one on a Spanish channel.   Why isn’t there an option to prevent recordings on a specific channel.  I don’t speak Spanish so will never want recordings from Spanish Channels.  I don’t even want the Spanish channels but have no option to get rid of the channels or the recordings.

Regular Visitor

Re: Prevent programs from recording on both Spanish and English Channels, Recording Only in English

By the way, I forgot to add that there used to be an option to record “This Channel Only” but now it’s on “HD preferred” or “SD Preferred”.  Adding back the “This Channel Option” would solve my problem.  How about it Xfinity, why did you remove the “This channel Only” option and why not bring it back?

Expert

Re: Prevent programs from recording on both Spanish and English Channels, Recording Only in English

@Zipperhead7408 wrote:

By the way, I forgot to add that there used to be an option to record “This Channel Only” but now it’s on “HD preferred” or “SD Preferred”.  Adding back the “This Channel Option” would solve my problem.  How about it Xfinity, why did you remove the “This channel Only” option and why not bring it back?

the options you named only show up when you search for a title then set a recording. to get what you want search and find next episode date/time/channel. use the guide to go to that channel, date, time and then set the recording. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the answer, Rustyben, but it's an impractical solution when following sports teams. I don't want to sit by the tv looking up ALL the upcoming games for ALL the teams I follow EVERY 2-3 weeks (which is all the farther out the tv schedule often goes). I, too, follow English Premier League soccer, and the best I can do is set it to record all live games for my chosen teams (when they play in the EPL, as well as when they play in UEFA leagues, and internationally), then go back and delete all the Spanish-language recordings.

Being able to record language-specific programming would be great, or as zipper said, being able to specify or eliminate certain channels. The Spanish language games take up space on my DVR, and I've actually reached capacity on it once because of all the double recordings of games in two different languages that I hadn't had a chance to go in and delete yet. I'm pretty sure Spanish speakers who don't want to watch games broadcast in English feel the same way.

I really hope there's a solution to this for the 2019-20 season.
New Poster

Same question, same problem. Under Sports, and Favorite teams, you can set the DVR to record all Games that team plays, but it doesn't let you control the channel choice, so a live game being broadcast on both a Spanish and English channel is recorded twice. Often at the expense of another match on at the same time...you get a "recording conflict" message and the other game does not record at all. The programming needs to change to allow channel selection, or prefered language, or record by channel and not by team. Please fix.

New Poster

Same problem here. I have laboriously gone through and set it to record all new games from each Premier League Team, plus teams from Spain and Germany who have players I want to watch. Setting it to a specific channel is not a viable solution since there are 6-10 channels these games can be broadcast on. Every Saturday (especially) I get a bunch of recording conflicts because of it double-recording both in English and Spanish.

I have a new twist previous posters haven't mentioned though: starting a month or two ago, when I go through beforehand and manually delete the Spanish game, for some reason the system thinks I am deleting the recording of that game slot, and deletes both the English and Spanish versions. I'm sure Spanish-speaking fans have the same problem in the opposite direction, and that's a huge market. There really, REALLY needs to be a setting for language preference, and an update to program coding to resolve issues when the same even is broadcast on an English and Spanish channel.

New Poster

And another complication...frustrated by double recording in Spanish and English, I go in to cancel the scheduled Spanish recording and it also cancels the English recording.  I have to go back in and record the English version (again).  What a mess

Official Employee

Greetings, wanderer4! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you are having issues with the DVR recording in both English and Spanish. That's certainly frustrating and not the experience we want for you. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Why do you need my name before you help me???

Official Employee

I certainly understand. This is so I can verify your account and look to see if there are any current issues with your cable box and if this needs to be looked further into, I can get this escalated.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hi.  I am having the same issue -- I would like to know how I can either:  (1) have my basketball games record in English only, not Spanish; and/or (2) delete the Spanish-language version without the English version also being deleted.

Can you help, please?  Thanks in advance.

Official Employee

Hi, Acadiane! Thank you for posting in our community! I'm happy to check your DVR and see if there is a way to record only English version. Please send me a private message and include your first and last name. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Silver Problem Solver

@Acadiane wrote:

Hi.  I am having the same issue -- I would like to know how I can either:  (1) have my basketball games record in English only, not Spanish; and/or (2) delete the Spanish-language version without the English version also being deleted.

When I set a recurring recording of the Astros games, I get extra channels added to the Scheduled Recordings list.  I have to edit it to remove the extra channels.  AFAIK, there is no fix other than to schedule each game based on the channel I want to record.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Acadiane wrote:

When I set a recurring recording of the Astros games, I get extra channels added to the Scheduled Recordings list.  I have to edit it to remove the extra channels.  AFAIK, there is no fix other than to schedule each game based on the channel I want to record.

write down the next event details that you want. day, time, channel. remove old series recording using the X1 priority list and then use the guide to navigate to the channel, date, time you wrote down and record from the guide. keep the 'channel only' option which will show the call letters of the channel you are currently using on the guide.

any search for a program and then a recording set on that search will not offer other than SD or HD preferred version and can record from many channels.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So, there is no fix for this yet.

It happens for the SF Giants games, 162 per season and the Warriors, 82 per season, not including playoffs, and the fix, go in and set the recording 1 by 1 is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Fix this bug!

Official Employee

Hi all, we want to make tech ops aware of this recording concern and to do so, we need your account info and signal levels from your boxes. Please send us a private message with your full name so we can get the ball rolling. 

Ken

New Poster

I’m having the same issue. Any solutions?
Silver Problem Solver

@Sp1060 wrote:
I’m having the same issue. Any solutions?

I have to check my scheduled recordings for duplicates caused by Spanish channels recording the same conent.  

I suspect Comcast would have to rewrite their interface to fix this.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I've been having the same issue, but only with certain channels or live broadcast. Primarily Giants baseball games. Last week, though, only the Spanish version was recorded. When I called xFinity I asked to speak with someone other than the Customer Svs Rep. The CSR's are always the last to be told about known issues. The person I spoke with checked to see if there were any cable issues, my language and SAP settings, was there a line dropped (a line filter). It wasn't until she did some back end tech research that she was made aware of the issue. She found out there was a signal issue with the English broadcast of the game which is why it didn't record and probably why only the Spanish broadcast was recorded. She also could tell there had been some disruptions in my service that may have caused some of the multiple recordings. She acknowledged that these multiple language recordings shouldn't be happening and the issue is somewhere in their beta testing. So, they (someone anyway) are aware of this issue. She said that by us calling when these types of things happen it helps with their testing. So, no fix yet, but hopefully soon. Hope this helps.
Frequent Visitor

Looking through this thread, this issue is primarily with Live sporting events that are simulcast is both English and Spanish. I also explained to the Supervisor I spoke with that this is eating up DVR memory, too. I really do hope they have a resolution for this soon.
Silver Problem Solver

@sfbrian1 wrote:
Looking through this thread, this issue is primarily with Live sporting events that are simulcast is both English and Spanish. I also explained to the Supervisor I spoke with that this is eating up DVR memory, too. I really do hope they have a resolution for this soon.

I check my Scheduled Programs and if I see two or more of the same Program, I cancel the ones I don't want.  

I have noticed I can display all record options and I can select just one so I don't have to delete the unwanted ones.

New Poster

Tonight’s NBA Finals only recorded the Spanish version! I’m so bummed I’m having to watch in Spanish. Why didn’t the finals record in English!
New Poster

Same here! How do we fix this?!?
Frequent Visitor

It happened to me AGAIN tonight for the NBA Finals.   I got right on the phone with Comcast and told them this was unacceptable for what I pay.   They said they would escalate AGAIN.   They also credited me with coupons I was able to apply to my bill.    I highly recommend everyone call them and ask for a Supervisor and/or Tech and press them to resolve this issue. 

Regular Visitor

@Terrrible answers, so bad yu should be banned from ever posting again in these forums Smiley Happy you need to read the posts about the actual problem, your replies are waaayyy off base.  Keep trying though.

This is a straightforward ux bug and has nothing to do with signal levels or DVR settings or any other such nonesense.  When you use the Sports options to record favorite teams the English and Spanish language channels are always added to the DVR recording schedule, if you notice the duplicate recording and attempt to delete it BOTH recordings get deleted.  It is really not that hard , just offer a language preference when setting up team favorite recordings.   Tonight was the worst of all cases for me as the DVR actually ONLY recorded the Spanish language version of the NBA finals and then refused to allow me to delete it until way after the game was over.

www.xfinity.com_stream_recordings_6725625589840827119.png

Regular Visitor

It's a huge fail.  Please address this appropriately ASAP.  Thank you.  Also not sure what is going on with the semaphore icon in my post above ^ it was a screenshot of the DVR > Saved listing of the wrong channel recording that I had to watch due to this BUG.  I've tried a bit to learn some Spanish over the years but no so much that I want to watch the NBA finals in Spanish !!!

Frequent Visitor

Check your DVR's scheduled recordings for the NBA Finals.   You'll find the upcoming recordings are for the Spanish broadcast.    You will know because the title will have "finales" in lower case.   You will need to manually set each of these upcoming recordings.

New Poster

I’ve been frustrated by this issue too. Here are the steps that happen. 1) “follow” a team in xfinity. It’s asks you if you want to record that team. Yes. Then you get recordings for either both Spanish and English or worse I’ve started to get JUST the Spanish. This is a bug in your software. You should be looking at the person’s language setting to determine. I follow Liverpool and USA men’s soccer.
Official Employee

mcebula, The order flow you are using is set to record items that fall within a key phrase or tag. If you can confirm that there is an English version of the content you want, please go to the channel and manually record the content there. 

Frequent Visitor

You are not solving this issue by telling us to manually set a recording for the English broadcast.

@ComcastKenF wrote:

mcebula, The order flow you are using is set to record items that fall within a key phrase or tag. If you can confirm that there is an English version of the content you want, please go to the channel and manually record the content there. 

Frequent Visitor

This issue happened again today.   The only recording for the SF Giants game today was in Spanish.  I have a "scheduled" recording for the Warriors game on Monday, also in Spanish.    I am on the phone with a supervisor at Comcast AGAIN.   And will continue to call them each and every time this happens.   I want this escilated.  

IMG_1779.JPG
Frequent Visitor

I spoke with someone in Advanced Repair.   She confirmed she has received several calls regarding this issue of recordings in Spanish and French.    She created a "CR" ticket and said it would be escilated to their Engineering Department.   I found out that the 2 previous "CR" tickets of mine on this issue had been automatically closed by their system.    No explination as to why .   She said she would call me back after she spoke with the Engineering Department.  

She did call me about a few hours later.  

Engineering says the reason has to do with the DVR system.  The system automatically grabs the first available broadcast, in some cases this might be the Spanish or French broadcast.   It is a known DVR system problem and apparently their Engineering department is working on fixing this issue but gave no estimate on how long it would be.   In the mean time they suggested manually setting up recordings.   I told her this is unacceptable response.   I told her this was also unacceptable because we do not have an option to remotely set up recordings.   Comcast lost the court case with Tivo 3+ years ago and has done nothing to rectify the issue.   We pay them too much for these types of issues to be happening.    I told her they need to let their customers know when they have known issues.  They email us about everything else.   I also said they are doing a disservice to their own CSRs by not informing them of these known issues.

I also let her know I expect regular follow-up calls until this is resolved.   

New Poster

Same issue with some sports I record (I get both English and Spanish) but even worse now, when there are two options in English and Spanish, it's prioritizing the Spanish and not recording the English at all.

Latest example was the US Mens National Soccer Team vs. Venezuala on Sunday, June 9 at 10:30 AM PST.  It recorded the Spanish version (channel 716) and ignored the English version (702).   Its set through a simple series "United States" in the cetegory of Soccer.

How can we control what is recorded?

Official Employee

Hello everyone, 

How are you all recording the series? or show? Are you using the C button on the remote?  

Frequent Visitor

Are you kidding us?  This is the question you want to ask?   Do you really think we're that ignorant with setting recordings on our DVR?  

Official Employee

Not at all, sfbrian1! 

I need to ask open-ended questions in order to properly troubleshoot. Our customer technical levels range all over the place so I want to make sure we do not leave anyone behind and since there is multiple customers in this public thread, I want to make sure we are all on the same page.  

When we use the "C" button, it automatically records from the default network being provided to the X1 sports app vs finding the asset from the guide and scheduling the recording. 

I reached out to an Advance tech with our X1 platform, who stated that the feature is working as intended. Customers who have both series set up for recording, need to manually delete the series (like the Spanish one, if they want English) and leave the English one active. 

I really do appreciate you posting your feedback. 

Frequent Visitor

Look at my previous comments and you'll see I've already had many conversations with several supervisors at Xfinity, the most recent with Advanced Repair, and have I have been told this is a known DVR system issue and has been escalated to your Engineering Division.   Here's my ticket number is you're really wanting to do some research.   CR 850168715

Official Employee

Thank you for that ticket number, sfbrian1. 

I still want to double check with the other customers in this thread just in case! 

I can look into your ticket number more personally if you would like. Just send me a private message, if you would like me to look into it. 

I work for our corporate office. 

Thank you for your patience and for being a valued Comcast customer. 

Frequent Visitor

Martin:  All you need to tell me and this thread is that the issue is being worked on and when we can expect resolution.    BTW you are probably the 5th Comcast Tech to chime in on this thread issue that's been reported for almost 2 months now.   Please just fix the problem.  

Frequent Visitor

Update for you Martin: 

It happened again today.  English and Spanish recording scheduled for the Giant’s game tonight. I cancelled only the Spanish recording and wouldn't you know it, the scheduled English recording disappeared.  I had to manually set the recording for tonights game.  Thank goodness I was home because I could not have done this remotely.   So your "theory" of cancelling the scheduled Spanish recording and the English recording will be be saved is complete BS.