Community Forum

Power Saver doesn't turn off

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Power Saver doesn't turn off

My X1 TV box goes into Power Saver mode (after 4 hours of inactivity) even though I've gone to Settings>Power Preferences and turned Power Saver OFF. I have also replaced the box with the same results. I'm beginning to wonder if I can actually turn that feature off.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Power Saver doesn't turn off

@masayoyoshida wrote:

My X1 TV box goes into Power Saver mode (after 4 hours of inactivity) even though I've gone to Settings>Power Preferences and turned Power Saver OFF. I have also replaced the box with the same results. I'm beginning to wonder if I can actually turn that feature off.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Are you seeing a Screen Saver before Power Saver?

I turned off Power Saver; too much hassle for no financial benefit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

As many people have found out the "Power off" feature has never really turned the power off the box just goes into a sleep mode and if the TV is left on a screen saver now will come on after whatever time you have selected.  In my area comcast has changed the term "Power Down" to "Sleep Mode".  I guess that is the solution to the issue that people have been complaining about that the boxes don't actually power off.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Here is my situation: my elderly mother-in-law is in a senior care home and cannot operate the remote (or ask for help).  The care staff turns on the TV in the morning for her. After 4 hours, the X1 box goes into sleep mode and my mother-in-law is left to stare at a screen saver for hours even though the power preferences > power saver is off. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Okay, I understand as the unit looks for some sort of activity and after four hours of no input the unit goes into "screen saver".  Prior to this change it was 8 hours before going to sleep. If you turn the power option off does it still go to sleep mode after 4 hours?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The power saver is off. I've even replaced the box and still, the problem persists. It's as if the setting does nothing.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@masayoyoshida wrote:

The power saver is off. I've even replaced the box and still, the problem persists. It's as if the setting does nothing.

I did a test yesterday with my box, turned off the power save, left it on one channel,  after 6 hours the screen saver had still did not come on.   When the power save was on at four hours it would go to the screen saver.   I am doing another test going all day today but I am wondering if there may be some other box controlling the cable that is feeding that room in the home.  Otherwise I would call comcast directly to have it looked at

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for checking. I guess I'll have to call in a technician. I've tried everything I can think of and the guys on the phone and at the store have been no help.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

My test today as been on for over 8 hours and no screen saver came on.   It will be interesting to know what is found that is different in that room and with that STB.  Good luck.