Community Forum

Poor picture quality since upgrading to a 4K TV

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Poor picture quality since upgrading to a 4K TV

@BiggAJW wrote:

STOP obfuscating the issue. The issue is that Comcast doesn't give enough bandwidth for MPEG-4 to work properly, so you end up with complete garbage for picture quality.

The fact that you can make just as awful of an image with 7.6mbps of CBR MPEG-2 is only teriarily relevant. Comcast has been compressing too far well before they went to MPEG-4, first with tri-muxing and then packing 4 MPEG-2 channels to a QAM, but their MPEG-4 implementation takes the cake for atrocious picture quality that is worse than anything that came before it.

There is ABSOLUTELY loss of data when you compress to a level far lower than what they are starting with. Some of the national channels are coming in at 15mbps MPEG-4 via C-band. DirecTV can get to 5.5-6.5mbps average with the loss of fidelity being fairly minor and still having a good looking image. Comcast CANNOT get to 3.8mbps without serious loss of fidelity that is clearly visible to anyone who is paying even halfway paying attention.

One test to try is is to compare an OTA picture to the same Comcast channel.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

4k in mpeg4 is same bandwitdth average as HD mpeg2 and approaches the bandwidth of SD mpeg4 streams. you can't compare terrestrial satellite mpeg2 streams to cable's fiber/coax packet handling at targeted 720p60 mpeg4 delivered from HEVC (mpeg "5" "G") original stream. the HD bandwidth in mpeg4 is not 'starved' it is just recoded HEVC to mpeg4. over the air (except for a few test 4k transmitter in USA) are mpeg2. The technical writing for cable seems to believe that future is IP delivered TV. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

4k in mpeg4 is same bandwitdth average as HD mpeg2 and approaches the bandwidth of SD mpeg4 streams. you can't compare terrestrial satellite mpeg2 streams to cable's fiber/coax packet handling at targeted 720p60 mpeg4 delivered from HEVC (mpeg "5" "G") original stream. the HD bandwidth in mpeg4 is not 'starved' it is just recoded HEVC to mpeg4. over the air (except for a few test 4k transmistters in USA) are mpeg2. The technical writing for cable seems to believe that future is IP delivered TV. 

Rusty:

If your last statement is correct, then Comcast is in big trouble. Comcast was mainly a linear cable company. Their foray into IP TV is are behind any of the current competition and Comcast equipment and method of delivery is inadequate in comparison.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

4k in mpeg4 is same bandwitdth average as HD mpeg2 and approaches the bandwidth of SD mpeg4 streams. you can't compare terrestrial satellite mpeg2 streams to cable's fiber/coax packet handling at targeted 720p60 mpeg4 delivered from HEVC (mpeg "5" "G") original stream. the HD bandwidth in mpeg4 is not 'starved' it is just recoded HEVC to mpeg4. over the air (except for a few test 4k transmistters in USA) are mpeg2. The technical writing for cable seems to believe that future is IP delivered TV. 

Rusty:

If your last statement is correct, then Comcast is in big trouble. Comcast was mainly a linear cable company. Their foray into IP TV is are behind any of the current competition and Comcast equipment and method of delivery is inadequate in comparison.

(i corrected spelling of transmitters in original post). all smart devices and roku etc are ip delivery of content already. the reason TiVO is ending equipment manufacturer is that QAM delivery is going to be deprecated as the industry moves to IPTV. ATSC version 3.0+ is the next TV broadcast update and will require adapters like the NTSC=>>ATSC conversion. at that point the home over the air deliver (and cable) will be open ended as to definition (4k/8k and HDR and deeper color availability, ATMOS, DD+ /vision). once a broadcast station switches it must offer the current ATCS 1.0 for at least 5 years. It will be an interesting time as over the air will be combined with internet to create the viewing experience (OTA). 

Frequent Visitor

The explanation for the issue I'm seeing is not explained by the compression standard coming through the cable. The reason I write that? Because when I switch to the old box the problem is no longer there with the same cable attached to the same TV. The new X1 box has an obvious noise reduction going on that was not on the older DVR boxes.  It's a noise reduction that most applied to smooth skin tones and also scrubs away film grain.

Again. I have done A/B switching with an old Xfinity box and the newest one. The newest one has poor detail in surfaces, erases pores, and blemishes on faces, and gets rid of film grain. 

Also the dialog getting out of sync has only happened with the X1 box as well. That problem is not consistent, but it NEVER happened with the older DVR. Again same cable intallation, same TV, samne inputs, the only variable was switching to the X1 box.

I work professionally as an independent filmmaker and animator. Check out my work at ufoclubcreative.com
Silver Problem Solver

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

The explanation for the issue I'm seeing is not explained by the compression standard coming through the cable. The reason I write that? Because when I switch to the old box the problem is no longer there with the same cable attached to the same TV. The new X1 box has an obvious noise reduction going on that was not on the older DVR boxes.  It's a noise reduction that most applied to smooth skin tones and also scrubs away film grain.

Again. I have done A/B switching with an old Xfinity box and the newest one. The newest one has poor detail in surfaces, erases pores, and blemishes on faces, and gets rid of film grain. 

Also the dialog getting out of sync has only happened with the X1 box as well. That problem is not consistent, but it NEVER happened with the older DVR. Again same cable intallation, same TV, samne inputs, the only variable was switching to the X1 box.

I have a 4k box connected to an older 1080p TV.  I can't see the difference with my older XG1v3 DVR.  Which makes me wonder if there is some kind of incompatibility with your setup.  Just an observation, trying to help.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Well, the same thing happened with the secondary box on a second different TV. The original old non DVR secondary box was fine, the new X1 secondary box displays loss of film grain and skin smoothing because of some kind of digital filter trying to clean up the image. Again all cable, signal, and monitor was the same. The only thing that changed was the secondary x1 box coming in.

Also, I noticed the same problem at the Xfinity store on their own display of X1. So it’s not just at my place. I bet if I could visit you, I could easily point it out. 

It’s a similar look to how people filter their own selfies to be blemish or wrinkle free. It still retains high quality edges. It is not blocky compression artifacts, it’s an obvious digital filter that is similar to what some TV’s themselves have built in (but with the option to adjust or disengage). But it is not obvious to most regular people until pointed out. I realize Xfinity is catering to the normal consumer who probably things grain and wrinkles are better lost, and to them it might seem to be better picture quality... but to anyone who is into the idea of 1080 to 4K fidelity and calibration of their TV’s, and getting that detailed experience for this Xfinity monthly cost... it’s a loss despite the great voice menu.

I had a Comcast technician come in to check everything and he said it was all solid, inside and outside the house. When I pointed out the smooth faces on the various channels, and loss of texture, he did completely recognize what I was talking about, but said the current box had no controls he had access to with an option to turn it off. He confirmed that he could see what I was pointing out, but did say he knew of no expert control mode he could access.

Let me try to get a screen shot to illustrate the problem. Bu,t I bet if you watched a premium movie channel on your own system right now and looked for skin smoothing on faces, and scrubbing of film grain you would see it. Or rather not see the detail. I realize that no one is normally in a situation to A/B test with an old box/new box. The most aproximate thing I can think of is to compare the same shot in a 1080 movie playing off another device like Roku, Apple TV, broadcast HD. But please remember I did have both boxes and was able to just change the HDMI from one to the other along with the cable from the wall.

I work professionally as an independent filmmaker and animator. Check out my work at ufoclubcreative.com
Silver Problem Solver

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

Well, the same thing happened with the secondary box on a second different TV. The original old non DVR secondary box was fine, the new X1 secondary box displays loss of film grain and skin smoothing because of some kind of digital filter trying to clean up the image. Again all cable, signal, and monitor was the same. The only thing that changed was the secondary x1 box coming in.

Also, I noticed the same problem at the Xfinity store on their own display of X1. So it’s not just at my place. I bet if I could visit you, I could easily point it out. 

It’s a similar look to how people filter their own selfies to be blemish or wrinkle free. It still retains high quality edges. It is not blocky compression artifacts, it’s an obvious digital filter that is similar to what some TV’s themselves have built in (but with the option to adjust or disengage). But it is not obvious to most regular people until pointed out. I realize Xfinity is catering to the normal consumer who probably things grain and wrinkles are better lost, and to them it might seem to be better picture quality... but to anyone who is into the idea of 1080 to 4K fidelity and calibration of their TV’s, and getting that detailed experience for this Xfinity monthly cost... it’s a loss despite the great voice menu.

I had a Comcast technician come in to check everything and he said it was all solid, inside and outside the house. When I pointed out the smooth faces on the various channels, and loss of texture, he did completely recognize what I was talking about, but said the current box had no controls he had access to with an option to turn it off. He confirmed that he could see what I was pointing out, but did say he knew of no expert control mode he could access.

Let me try to get a screen shot to illustrate the problem. Bu,t I bet if you watched a premium movie channel on your own system right now and looked for skin smoothing on faces, and scrubbing of film grain you would see it. Or rather not see the detail. I realize that no one is normally in a situation to A/B test with an old box/new box. The most aproximate thing I can think of is to compare the same shot in a 1080 movie playing off another device like Roku, Apple TV, broadcast HD. But please remember I did have both boxes and was able to just change the HDMI from one to the other along with the cable from the wall.

Can you give us the make and model numbers of your X1 equipment?

New Poster

Hello, I’m having same issues with my new 4K tv, what can I do to make it better?
Silver Problem Solver

@Grisel123 wrote:
Hello, I’m having same issues with my new 4K tv, what can I do to make it better?

What is the make and model of your X1 box?  Are you using HDMI cables that match your TV's HDMI spec?

Frequent Visitor

check out the images below for the model numbers and a photo of the problem. This is the same TV, same settings, same input... but switching to and away from the new x1 box.

The image is from the recent Westworld episode on HBO on Demand.

The new X1 box is scrubbing away surface detail and applying skin smoothing. It looks horrible on a high end home theater system.

x1 DVR.jpg
secondary X1 box.jpg
OLD Xfinity DVR skin quality2.jpg
X1 skin quality 2.jpg
OLD Xfinity DVR skin quality.jpg
X1 skin quality.jpg
Regular Contributor

You can't compare old Legacy equipment and X1 equipment

Frequent Visitor

What do you mean? I'm pointing out how poor the image quality is on the brand new X1 equipment, despite Comcast branding it as better. 

Expert

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

What do you mean? I'm pointing out how poor the image quality is on the brand new X1 equipment, despite Comcast branding it as better. 

when you change out an HDCP source you must go through setup again on the TV to get the best picture. since you are using a 1k set top box you can safely set the output of the box to 720p(60) and let the TV handle the upscaling. to do a set up use netflix or possibly youtube (netflix search for test pattern). on netflix let it stabilize speed (takes about a minute) then pause and setup the brightness, contrast, sharpness, and beta. it is probably best to turn off all the TV's special handling on that port like movie modes etc. turn off any 'smoothing' options. 

Frequent Visitor

Ha, that is not true. What do you mean 1K box? It’s all 1080 (closer to 2K in digital cinema terms) There is no special handling activated on the TV, I’m a videophile and filmmaker that actually makes film content, so I’ve been always been calibrating my own TV’s in order to display color graded material and show clients work. I would never have something upscaling or have a consumer feature to artificially beautify content on. In fact, I’m pointing out that xfinity has built in a stupid image processing setting right into the the X1 that needs to be optional. But it’s stuck to “on”.

My television is retaining the exact calibration on that HDMI input regardless of the device being switched out. I can go into the menu and submenu and check everything. All the parameter down to the tiniest RGB channel adjustments in expert mode stays the same. Not only that, but I’ve assigned the same profile to all the HDMI inputs regardless for the Apple TV, the computer input, the blu-ray player (its all outputting REC709) and I can compare the same content from various devices and the new X1 box is the only one that exhibits this loss of details and texture.  Also this texture smoothing was exhibited anywhere I see the X1 system going, including the Xfinity store a few miles away. Of course the sales people don’t have any clue to this kind of technical/aesthetic stuff. But after I complained, the visiting technician could see it too at my place. He happened to be someone that worked with photography and could recognize these kind of filters. He also confirmed that everything was set to what should have been optimal picture quality.

I’ve gone through a whole cycle of returning the X1 boxes, going back to the old DVR for 6 months, then trying the X1 again hoping that it had changed it’s firmware two turn the filter off. To no avail.

You should be able to see it as well on your own TV. It’s an obvious digital filter. There is no upscaling going on, Both streams I took the stills from are 1080, and the TV setting is exactly the same and locked no matter which box was hooked up. The cable boxes were both set to 1080.  And, it the same cable out of the wall. Have you looked at your own X1 output at people’s faces? Are you able to see the hairs and pores and detail across the whole face, or do the faces get an almost cosmetic blur (as illustrated in my stills above) in certain areas. The other give way is: can you see film grain on content shot on film? The X1 seems to really scrub it away.

Expert

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

Ha, that is not true. What do you mean 1K box? It’s all 1080 (closer to 2K in digital cinema terms) There is no special handling activated on the TV, I’m a videophile and filmmaker that actually makes film content, so I’ve been always been calibrating my own TV’s in order to display color graded material and show clients work. I would never have something upscaling or have a consumer feature to artificially beautify content on. In fact, I’m pointing out that xfinity has built in a stupid image processing setting right into the the X1 that needs to be optional. But it’s stuck to “on”.

My television is retaining the exact calibration on that HDMI input regardless of the device being switched out. I can go into the menu and submenu and check everything. All the parameter down to the tiniest RGB channel adjustments in expert mode stays the same. Not only that, but I’ve assigned the same profile to all the HDMI inputs regardless for the Apple TV, the computer input, the blu-ray player (its all outputting REC709) and I can compare the same content from various devices and the new X1 box is the only one that exhibits this loss of details and texture.  Also this texture smoothing was exhibited anywhere I see the X1 system going, including the Xfinity store a few miles away. Of course the sales people don’t have any clue to this kind of technical/aesthetic stuff. But after I complained, the visiting technician could see it too at my place. He happened to be someone that worked with photography and could recognize these kind of filters. He also confirmed that everything was set to what should have been optimal picture quality.

I’ve gone through a whole cycle of returning the X1 boxes, going back to the old DVR for 6 months, then trying the X1 again hoping that it had changed it’s firmware two turn the filter off. To no avail.

You should be able to see it as well on your own TV. It’s an obvious digital filter. There is no upscaling going on, Both streams I took the stills from are 1080, and the TV setting is exactly the same and locked no matter which box was hooked up. The cable boxes were both set to 1080.  And, it the same cable out of the wall. Have you looked at your own X1 output at people’s faces? Are you able to see the hairs and pores and detail across the whole face, or do the faces get an almost cosmetic blur (as illustrated in my stills above) in certain areas. The other give way is: can you see film grain on content shot on film? The X1 seems to really scrub it away.

720p/1080i/p are 1k HD (to make a 4k you take same display for 1k and put 4 into a rectangle). the set top box you have is a 1k maximum ouput set top box. the XG1v4 4k DVR is available for 4k ouput with some olympics on-demand available and netflix 4k/UHD available. a 4k DVR is available now.

Expert

"720p/1080i/p are 1k HD (to make a 4k you take same display for 1k and put 4 into a rectangle). the set top box you have is a 1k maximum ouput set top box. the XG1v4 4k DVR is available for 4k ouput with some olympics on-demand available and netflix 4k/UHD available. a 4k DVR is available now."

Rusty's reply here is correct. My Insignia 32 inch 1080p television (x 4 retangle) fits similar to my Samsung 65 inch UHD teleivision. With 4 times as many pixels on the Samsung, the pixels on both are the same size. This actually means I would seem the same sharp picture for each television. However; the Samsung's picture is blown up 4 times larger making much better viewing.

I totally agree with your assesment on how and why we see the final degraded picture on our UHD televisions through Comcast equipment.

Contributor

Hey UFO,

1. Seems like a lot of sniping and arguing here about 1k/2k/4k and other irrelevant stuff. We all know what an HDTV and a UHD/4K TV are
  2. Seems like you have done good work to conduct a proper A/B test of the X1 vs legacy box
  3. I find your pix, actual evidence, persuasive -- it certainly looks like the X1 box has some kind of detail-reduction algorithm going that scrubs off much of Teddy's beard and other fine detail
  4. Since the only variable in your experiment was the cable box, the problems with Comcast's compression of MPEG4 streams and anything else they might do to the signal are irrelevant to this discussion

So, good work, UFO. Bad work, Comcast. The emphasis on GUI in the X1 system vs. some advanced picture and sound options (native resolution, sharpness control, lip sync), or just better video processing, is annoying. (And the transcoding of 1080i to 720P is moronic. But that's a different topic.)

Expert

@R_Aster wrote:

Hey UFO,

1. Seems like a lot of sniping and arguing here about 1k/2k/4k and other irrelevant stuff. We all know what an HDTV and a UHD/4K TV are
  2. Seems like you have done good work to conduct a proper A/B test of the X1 vs legacy box
  3. I find your pix, actual evidence, persuasive -- it certainly looks like the X1 box has some kind of detail-reduction algorithm going that scrubs off much of Teddy's beard and other fine detail
  4. Since the only variable in your experiment was the cable box, the problems with Comcast's compression of MPEG4 streams and anything else they might do to the signal are irrelevant to this discussion

So, good work, UFO. Bad work, Comcast. The emphasis on GUI in the X1 system vs. some advanced picture and sound options (native resolution, sharpness control, lip sync), or just better video processing, is annoying. (And the transcoding of 1080i to 720P is moronic. But that's a different topic.)

after upgrading to the newest DVR (Xg1v4) you will have a setting of 4096 x 2160 available to output to the TV. The set top boxes referenced in the image appears to be both X1, the Xid is a companion box that gets its data and channel from another set top box (either an XG1 or preferred an Xg2). 

Frequent Visitor

1. There is no such term as 1K for video production or broadcast. I’ve worked in digital video production since 2000. I’ve worked at TV stations, for film productions, and do post production as a freelancer. There is 1080i/p and 2K, and they are analogous to UHD and 4K. Please read this to get your intelligence on resolution and terms: https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/

the terms 2K and 4K come from the first number in the pixel dimensions of the frame. So the normal variations we get are:

1080HD: 1920 x 1080 this is what all contemporary HD TV’s are set to. It’s a 16:9 ratio, which fits consumer TV’s.

2K: 2048 x 1080 (none of your TV’s work at this fixed relation. It’s meant for digital cinema projectors.

UHD: 3830 x 2160 (this is what consumer TV’s labeled 4K are actually at and is also a 16:9 ratio)

4K: 4096 x 2160 (this is what size many filmmakers shoot video in when asked to shoot at 4K and is the most common standard for professional cinematic video production at this time)

2. I thought I clearly stated that I am talking about the 1080 video signal I’m getting through the 1080 setting on a 1080 TV. Bringing up “4K” is irrelevant.

3. I have clearly illustrated that the problem is not upscaling or downscaling or compression with the photographic evidence. Scaling results in the edges or contrasting sections of an image looking thicker or sometimes too thin. Compression destroys  bothedges and surfaces in a very obvious patchy and blocky manner. If you look at the images carefully, you will see that edges are the same, the resolving of the image is the same in terms of the shapes. It’s the digital “airbrushing” in between edges that is the problem and ruining the detail of the HD 1080p signal.

4. All signs point to this problem with the X1 boxes as simply being an activated de-noisier filter. If you go into your menu you will find that many more expert controls are now missing including different settings for digital noise reduction (including just turning it off). What Comcast needs to do is to release a firmware update where they offer the ability to turn it off. All the detail will then come back.

Here is a link to how a digital de-noising works. This is a pro-sumer version I actually use from time to time, and have overused to give footage a weird airbrushed look on purpose: https://youtu.be/f9H8jnwHSvM

The older cable boxes (and every consumer TV I’ve used) used to have a menu setting to adjust the de-noise processing in the box or in the TV. If you were a videophile who wanted an accurate detailed picture, you turned it off. Turning it on helped with smoothing out weak compression and signal nose, that is not a problem these days.

55F64D20-D33B-46A8-9FD6-C6FC0F6EF2CD.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

I'm confused; why did you include a picture of an XiD which is not 4k-capable?

Frequent Visitor

sorry here's the main DVR's ID (accidentally included the photo of the secondary DVR). That one is the current 4K enabled box, right?

Regardless, whether the picture is 720, 1080, UHD... the problem is the Arris brand box is scrubbing out detail and goes against against the whole point of having a good calibrated TV.

I have to watch HBO content and the like off the Apple TV to enjoy simple HD level detail.

Maybe I need to contact somoene at Arris.

secondary X1 box.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Is there any setting in your TV that handles a non-UHD source?  I don't have a 4k TV to test with, but others have been able to get their 4k TV's to work with the X1 signal.

New Poster

I'm having the same problems here in MA with Xfinity.  My older Vizio E series 1080p TV looks just fine, and my 2017 70" M series 4K TV looks like TRASH with Xfinity.  Dark scenes show weird moving clouding and some pixelation.  I tried watching The Sinner (USA Network) on my DVR last night, and the quality was so bad, I could barely watch it.  I tried noise reduction settings and whatever else the TV has, and it doesnt help enough to make the picture acceptable.  I upgraded to the XG1-V4-A box about 3 months ago, upgraded to better quality HDMI cables, and it made no difference.  I've tried every resolution output, and they all look terrible.  This is becoming a joke.

Something needs to be done, because this is unacceptable for the ridiculous prices that Xfinity charges.  I'm pretty close to switching to Fios, because their compression isn't nearly as bad.

Expert

@JoeyP523 wrote:

I'm having the same problems here in MA with Xfinity.  My older Vizio E series 1080p TV looks just fine, and my 2017 70" M series 4K TV looks like TRASH with Xfinity.  Dark scenes show weird moving clouding and some pixelation.  I tried watching The Sinner (USA Network) on my DVR last night, and the quality was so bad, I could barely watch it.  I tried noise reduction settings and whatever else the TV has, and it doesnt help enough to make the picture acceptable.  I upgraded to the XG1-V4-A box about 3 months ago, upgraded to better quality HDMI cables, and it made no difference.  I've tried every resolution output, and they all look terrible.  This is becoming a joke.

Something needs to be done, because this is unacceptable for the ridiculous prices that Xfinity charges.  I'm pretty close to switching to Fios, because their compression isn't nearly as bad.

hi, how is the Xg1v4 connected to the TV? (direct? through a soundbar or receiver?). if not direct, hook it up direct to TV making sure the port is HDCP 2.2 capable (some TVs only have one or two HDCP 2.2 ports).

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben, i seriously do not understand this obsession u have with trying to tell people that the Xfinity 4K boxes arent trash. They are TRASH.

What will it take? Xfinity admitting their boxes are trash and that they are forcing noise reduction and smoothing features onto our tv's? dont hold ur breath dude.

the purpose of having a 4K UHD tv is so u can sit closer and still enjoy great detail.  this box defeats the purpose.

the saddest part is that Comcast/Xfinity knows about these issues and is unwilling to do anything about it.

New Poster

Youre not crazy. Its the same filtering that happens on the new iPhone X(x) series. A involuntary beauty filter. Upscaling anything is going to degrade the picture quality. Fragments, artifacts would be all over the place if it wasnt for this filter they are putting on the boxes to cover these up. I see it on football, look on fox around the upper right hand fox logo. There are artifacts there and in the grass.
New Poster

My interner is super fast. So overall first week with them Im super happy. Ill happily put up with cable short cuts over IT shortcuts
New Poster

I am having the same problem with picture quality since upgrading to a 4k tv.
Expert

@Jayo1971 wrote:
I am having the same problem with picture quality since upgrading to a 4k tv.

set your set top box to either 720p or 1080p (you didn't say what output it was currently using). then let your TV display it using its own hardware to fit your screen. better?

New Poster

Just to chime in here, doesnt seem like anything has changed recently in the 4k box (Xg1v4) firmware to correct this issue.  Setup my 75" NU8000 (premium certified HDMI cables, direct to TV, all output resolutions tested) and anything requiring significant bandwidth (motion, sports) looks terrible.

I'm evaluting other options (youtubetv, vudu, etc) to see if there is less compression elsewhere.

Silver Problem Solver

@darthcurry wrote:

Just to chime in here, doesnt seem like anything has changed recently in the 4k box (Xg1v4) firmware to correct this issue.  Setup my 75" NU8000 (premium certified HDMI cables, direct to TV, all output resolutions tested) and anything requiring significant bandwidth (motion, sports) looks terrible.

I'm evaluting other options (youtubetv, vudu, etc) to see if there is less compression elsewhere.

What content are you testing - local channels, premium content like Showtime, streaming like Netflix?  Have you had any issues with the Samsung apps like Netlix?

(disclaimer; I am considering the purchase of this model to go with my 4k DVR.)

Expert

@darthcurry wrote:

Use the built-in apps found on your television. Load the "You Tube" app. the basic app is "free" and you do not have to join. After loading; go to the search menu and type in:  " 4K HDR " to start with. That will bring up many videos in UHD and HDR to view with your new television. Learn to use the options found for "You Tube" videos ehen you hit Select button on the tv remote, and then (3 dots) for options. There will be a blue 4K icon (2160P signal) if you are receiving true 4K video. White 4K icon would be 1440p signal. Click the icon to see resolution playing, and click 2160P to change to highest resolution. People with 8K televisions can find videos up to 4320P resolution. 8K videos will play at 2160p for us. The far right button on the buffer menu is "Info. for nerds". Clicking once puts the stats for real time information. You need to go back and click it again to turn off the real time signals.

You can choose to join "You Tube" and pay for their other new channels when ever you choose at a later date.

New Poster

Yes, I understand I can stream 4k content from elsewhere.  I've done this and it looks wonderful.  That doesnt address the poor quality I am getting from live sports via Comcast, which seems to over-compress their signal such that anything with motion becomes quite messy.

New Poster

The TV is great.  We play XBox One X in 4k on it, and looks spectacular.  We stream netflix via the Xbox but I suspect the built-in app works fine as well.  Many original shows in 4k, most movies in 1080, and it also looks very very good.  Standard (non 4k) blu ray is upscaled nicely by the TV and looks great.  4k streams from youtube are great as well.

Only complaint so far is some trouble with "auto gaming mode" (nothing to do with Comcast, obviously) when working with the Xbox one X.

Frequent Visitor

Everyone try this:

If u have Amazon Prime, check out Thursday Night Football.  DO NOT use the app on the cable box.  Go through a device or streaming app from ur tv.

Then switch to the comcast broadcast so u can see the difference.  It is NIGHT AND DAY difference.  The Amazon Prime stream is in 720p and my tv upscales it to 4K.  Fantastic and really embarassing for Comcast.

Expert

@NoUDont wrote:

Everyone try this:

If u have Amazon Prime, check out Thursday Night Football.  DO NOT use the app on the cable box.  Go through a device or streaming app from ur tv.

Then switch to the comcast broadcast so u can see the difference.  It is NIGHT AND DAY difference.  The Amazon Prime stream is in 720p and my tv upscales it to 4K.  Fantastic and really embarassing for Comcast.

what network is your thursday night football on the cable set top box?

Frequent Visitor

U can watch it on ur local Fox network channel or the NFL Network

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same issue with new 4k TV.  Upgraded from 50" 1080i DLP and like that picture better. Try and watch a pro baskeyball game on Comcast SportsNet (now NBC Sports regional). It is unwatchable. The upscaling you are talking about occurs only with certain camera feeds. The result is nausea inducing. 

Frequent Visitor

I got the 55" NU800 and have the same issue

Expert

@NoUDont wrote:

U can watch it on ur local Fox network channel or the NFL Network

per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States fox is in 720p while the NFL networks are broadcast over the air at 1080i (interlaced). Streaming NFL would be in mpeg2 or mpeg4 which is always progressive (not interlaced).

Expert

@edunne123 wrote:

I have the exact same issue with new 4k TV.  Upgraded from 50" 1080i DLP and like that picture better. Try and watch a pro baskeyball game on Comcast SportsNet (now NBC Sports regional). It is unwatchable. The upscaling you are talking about occurs only with certain camera feeds. The result is nausea inducing. 

that network is 1080i which is a signal built for CRT based products such as your DLP.  you can either put the set top box in 720p or 1080p. note that a 4k TV is basically four 1080p panels arranged 2x2 so any image enlarged to 4 times the size will not 'magically' have 4 times the information to display. The effect is the same as using a tablet or phone and zooming 'in" on an image. Do note though that the TV should be set up on the HDMI port (of the TV) using the manufacturer's procedure to have the best picture possible. Please be sure that the set top box is not set to 'i' (interlaced) 1080i format.

Expert

For those with UHD (4K or higher) televisions, there are alternatives to dealing with degraded video, or audio on the Comcast equipment. We still need it for many cable channels.

If you live in a metro area, using an antenna will give a better picture 1080i stations: PBS, CBS, NBC, etc.

You can find apps for many networks: CBS, NBC, ABC, plus many cable channels. The networks that broadcast 1080i over the air, supply a 1080p (Blu-ray quality) on their apps over Internet broadband. Many apps are free with activation done on a PC and listing Xfinity as your cable provider. The shows are normally "On Demand" and the networks tend to place their most recent original episodes first on the app before other ON DEMAND choices.

It is the best option for large screen UHD televisions for now.