Community Forum

Poor picture quality since upgrading to a 4K TV

Frequent Visitor

So I purchased a new Sony XBR55x900e 4K HDR TV from Bestbuy about 2 weeks ago. Before I had a 46" Samsung 1080 HDTV that was about 5 years old. Since setting up the Sony, the picture quality is not as good as I was expecting. I know it's not the TV's fault because when use the built-in apps to stream Netflix or Amazon content, the picture quality is great. I am only noticing the poor picture quality when watching Xfinity channels. To be more specific, when I say poor picture quality I am referring to images on the screen having a halo/shadow effect, colors bleeding out (especially red), and just general noise in the picture. I have added a picture of what I'm talking about (Sorry it's a cartoon, I have a 3 year old). As you can see over the boy's hair, there is a silhoutte/shadow/halo effect. I also notice this when I am watching the football on the RedZone channel and they scoreboard text at the bottom of the screen has the same effect. The RedZone logo is red, and the color is oversaturated and bleeds outside the lines of text where the coloring should stop. 

I went to my local Xfinity store thinking maybe I needed to get the new 4K box, knowing xfinity doesn't have 4K content yet, I just thought maybe the newer box would do a better job of upscaling to the picture quality. Over the chat feature on xfinity.com, the customer service agent confirmed for me that my local store had a 4K box. So I made an appointment, pulled out my current box, drove to Xfinity store, and they did not have the box, and the employees looked like they had never heard of the box I was asking for. So I took my old box back, they gave me a high speed HDMI cable, I made sure to connect the XG1 directly to the tv and not through the surround sound system so that I could eliminate the surround sound somehow downgrading the signal quality, and it didn't change. I tried going into the menu options of my XG1, changing the output setting (720, 1080i, 1080p60) and again, nothing worked. 

So my question is, should I try swapping out my box for a new one, or should I have a technician come to house to check the signal quality?

Thanks, 

Peter  

Paw Patrol.jpg
Paw Patrol.jpg
Expert

Re: Poor picture quality since upgrading to a 4K TV

What cable-box are you currently using?

Frequent Visitor

My cable box is the XG1.

Contributor

This is due to Comcast's over-compression when they switched to MPEG-4, not your box or TV. Google "Comcast MPEG-4" and you'll find tons of threads about the incredibly poor picture quality. This is a national Comcast issue, and affects all cable channels (not locals). They are over-compressing the video, as well as using CBR encoding, so channels tend to look OK when there is little motion on screen, and very blurry or soft when there is a lot of motion on screen. Comcast's poor picture quality hasn't changed, but it's much more obvious on a larger, higher resolution screen, so your fantastic new 4k TV that will look great with most HD and 4k content will look worse with Comcast. Local channels are generally passed through using MPEG-2 without being re-compressed, so they vary from market to market, depending on what your local station is feeding Comcast.

Expert

BiggAJW wrote:

This is due to Comcast's over-compression when they switched to MPEG-4, not your box or TV. Google "Comcast MPEG-4" and you'll find tons of threads about the incredibly poor picture quality. This is a national Comcast issue, and affects all cable channels (not locals). They are over-compressing the video, as well as using CBR encoding, so channels tend to look OK when there is little motion on screen, and very blurry or soft when there is a lot of motion on screen. Comcast's poor picture quality hasn't changed, but it's much more obvious on a larger, higher resolution screen, so your fantastic new 4k TV that will look great with most HD and 4k content will look worse with Comcast. Local channels are generally passed through using MPEG-2 without being re-compressed, so they vary from market to market, depending on what your local station is feeding Comcast.

why would conversion to mpeg4 be 'over-compressed' when the same quam is being used. mpeg4 is more efficient by two times than mpeg2 and the original source HEVC (nicknamed mpeg5) is more efficient than mpeg4 by a factor of two. The video provided in the streams is not 'lost' or over-compressed. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Comcast is over-compressing their MPEG-4 to an extreme degree. MPEG-2 started at 19.3mbps for "full bitrate" HD, today more efficient encoders can get great HD at around 12mbps. MPEG-4 is about twice as efficient, as DirecTV has shown, with excellent picture quality in the 5.5-7mbps range, but that is with a stat mux. Comcast is doing a CBR encode at 3.8-4.2mbps, which is simply too low to get a reasonable quality picture out of MPEG-4, and because it is CBR, it looks OK-ish when there isn't much motion on screen, and turns into a total mess when there is motion.

Further, you are wrong about the master feeds, they are mostly, if not all, MPEG-4, and they can come in at much higher bitrates off of the C-band satellites, often well over 10mbps MPEG-4, which is almost Blu-Ray quality.

The bottom line, the fact here is that Comcast's implmenetation of MPEG-4, not the MPEG-4 codec itself, is so badly over-compressed that there is a significant loss of quality, detail, sharpness, and due to their conversion of 1080i to 720p, a huge loss of resolution on channels that are normally broadcast at 1080i.

Frequent Visitor

Bottomline, many of us purchased 55 or 65" 930E Sony sets.  I have the exact same issues as the orignal poster.  Will the new Comcast 4K box solve this isssue.  In my case, I have continued issues with pixation, freezing on our HDTV and 4K sets.  Appreciate the infomation - but are there steps to be taken with Comcast or calibration that can minimize these issues.   Appreciate the thoughts.

Expert

itdwebman wrote:

Bottomline, many of us purchased 55 or 65" 930E Sony sets.  I have the exact same issues as the orignal poster.  Will the new Comcast 4K box solve this isssue.  In my case, I have continued issues with pixation, freezing on our HDTV and 4K sets.  Appreciate the infomation - but are there steps to be taken with Comcast or calibration that can minimize these issues.   Appreciate the thoughts.

Pixelation and freezing of picture are caused by a too weak a signal reaching the box. You need to check your coaxial-cable and connections going to the cable-box.

Are you using RG6u coaxial-cable inside your house? Newer splitters if used before the cable-box? This is a different problem from the poor picture being produced on 4K tv's by the cable-box. The problem could also be caused by the transmission cables outside your house, or inside the walls of an older appartment building. Comcast would need to check those, or possibly your setup.

New Poster

Same here. Live sports look terrible. Nothing from Comcast looks like it is in HD on this TV. 4K content on Netflix and BluRay movies look amazing.

I have a RG6 line homerun from the cable box outside to the tv inside. Comcast tech came out and replaced all cable ends, splitter, ground block, and verified the signal was strong at the tv. He admitted that the picture should look better than it does. We bypassed my AV receiver, changed hdmi cables, changed input on the TV, changed TV settings, and tried every output resolution on the cable box. It all looks like garbage! Very frustrating. 1080p60 output was the worst, the picture skipped very badly as if I was watching programming through a strobe light.

Side note- I have 2 high-end 720p plasma TVs that are 10 years old. They both look great, way better than the new 4K. I assume this is because 720p is the native resolution being received by the cable box so the processing from cable box to tv is minimal.
Frequent Visitor

I switched my box to output at 720 and it feel like the quality is slightly better. Not great, but more tolerable.
Frequent Visitor

Comcast came to my home and ran a line across my floor from the spitter coming into my home directly to the 4K box and first cable box in the house.  All what  you suggest below were also checked by Comcast tech or their contractors.  The grainy picture is a real frustration with comcast.  Comcast Team - any thoughts here?  Really wondering if FIOS will provide a sharper picture?

MNtundraRET wrote:

itdwebman wrote:

Pixelation and freezing of picture are caused by a too weak a signal reaching the box. You need to check your coaxial-cable and connections going to the cable-box.

Are you using RG6u coaxial-cable inside your house? Newer splitters if used before the cable-box? This is a different problem from the poor picture being produced on 4K tv's by the cable-box. The problem could also be caused by the transmission cables outside your house, or inside the walls of an older appartment building. Comcast would need to check those, or possibly your setup.

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Official Employee

Hello itdwebman, I can assist you with getting you 4K picture quality restored. Can you please send me a private message with your full address, account number, and the name on the account by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me"?

New Poster

I also need help with getting a better picture quality with my 4k tv. 

Expert

Kdud15 wrote:

I also need help with getting a better picture quality with my 4k tv. 

please see the post just before yours and message the official employee

New Poster

Hi, I'm having the same issue...

It also will not allow me to private message you...

PLease advise, thanks!

Expert

wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same issue...

It also will not allow me to private message you...

PLease advise, thanks!

try private message to @ComcastAmir again.

New Poster

Was the picture quality issue solved?  Just curious reading up on the quality of Xfinity cable service today.  Thanks.

New Poster

I also have poor pic on 4k tv - can I private message you?

Expert

wrote:

I also have poor pic on 4k tv - can I private message you?

only time to private message is when an official red-letter username employee asks you to do so. what is your set top box model number and do you have Netflix with the extra-charge 4k service?

New Poster

I actually just bought the same exact tv this past Saturday and when I turned on the first live broadcast sports game I could, it looked like absolute trash. Almost like a mix between SD and low quality HD even though my display settings on the tv said it was reading a 1080p signal. But the streaming services I have through my Xbox One look absolutely unreal and worth every penny I paid.

Needless to say, I called Xfinity to set up a tech to come out immediately. They were able to schedule next day service luckily and I did as much research as I could before the tech showed up for my appointment. Of all the posts I read on various sites, I was astonished coming across your post since we have the same tv.

When the tech showed up she ran a test on my box and said everything was coming in fine. She even had a little test tv that she plugged my feed into and it looked better than my 4K tv!

I read her the suggestions from this thread to her and nothing helped, but she did say she had a 4K box in the truck. I told her I’ll try it out and we set the “display settings” on the box to the highest possible option for 4k. Last night, I turned on the Sixers game and Flyers game and took a giant sigh of relief. The picture looked awesome!

Even though the display setting said the signal was still just 1080p. To note though, it still didn’t look as good as the streaming services, but that’s because broadcast tv can’t push out the same quality signal as the streaming services.

Even though the regular X1 box can push out a 1080p signal, it seems like you still need to get the 4K box and set it to highest possible 4K setting. It worked for me and just in time for the Super Bowl.

New Poster

I just tried to switch to the 4K box thinking I could get the Netflix programs in 4K but not only did the picture quality take a big hit (was actually really good on my new LG OLED 55 before.) I switched back to the original DVR and not that was now just my as bad. Had a tech here for over 2 hours and he was perplexed. After he left I went over the box settings for the 20th time and noted the 1080 for 60fps was 1080p. I switched it to the 1080i setting and the picture quality came back. Unfortunately now i am having the freezing every once in a while which was not a problem before. I'm hoping it's from the set being on 17 hours straight today (years back it happened, and the box at that time was getting too warm.) Try switching to the 1080i for the heck of it. It worked for me. The 4K box was set at 1080p out of the box. Apparently i changed the old box to 1080p after seeing t he new one set that way before I realized it was the problem. thinking it was better due to the 60fps
New Poster

I'm surprised how well the LG OLEDS handle Comcast's PQ.  I noticed this when upgrading from a 2016 Samsung 4K TV.  Although my output is set to 1080P on the X1.

I would stick to Nextflix from the TV to get HDR support.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

We plugged in a hdmi from our cable box to our t.v. and used that setting it still isn't perfect but its way better then before.
New Poster

Recently, I purchased a Sony 55 inch Smart TV from Best Buy. I have the Comcast X1 box. When watching March Madness basketball games on CBS HD or TNT HD the last two weekends, the picture looks great when they zoom in on the players on the foul line. However, when the players are dribbling up the court and the camera zooms out, the picture quality is not as good. For instance, their faces look blotchy and their seems to be some type of motion blur when they are moving fast.  I called Comcast and they said all my settings are correct.

Anybody else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

@njweatherman wrote:

Recently, I purchased a Sony 55 inch Smart TV from Best Buy. I have the Comcast X1 box. When watching March Madness basketball games on CBS HD or TNT HD the last two weekends, the picture looks great when they zoom in on the players on the foul line. However, when the players are dribbling up the court and the camera zooms out, the picture quality is not as good. For instance, their faces look blotchy and their seems to be some type of motion blur when they are moving fast.  I called Comcast and they said all my settings are correct.

I kind of have the same issue with my new Sony 4K as well. My issue is the hoops games CBS and TBS and some other sports on different channels is that the frame rate seems to keep dropping or lagging. The motion blur could be due to the tv settings not set correctly. I'd play around with the motion settings and see if that helps pic quality. 

New Poster

Thanks for replying! I have motion blur and cinemotion off. I'm glad to see it's not just me.

If I find a solution, I will post on here.

Expert

@njweatherman wrote:

perfectly normal since both channels are native 1080i (interlaced) format.

Frequent Visitor

The problem isn't the Sony...
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@njweatherman wrote:

What format would NOT have this issue?  (I don't have a 4k TV)

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@njweatherman wrote:

What format would NOT have this issue?  (I don't have a 4k TV)

The problem is a Comcast cable-box issue. I never see the problem when bouncing back and forth from watching the same channels "over the air" (always fine picture) versus watching the very same program and channel over Comcast cable. I get 40+ local channels over the air so it is really easy to compare both methods of watching any type of program on cable versus OTA . It's just a matter of about 5 seconds to switch between OTA and cable for signal comparison. The problem is Comcast's current method of supplying 1080i channels.

I should add that this is just a problem for those of us watching 65 inch or larger UHD televisions. People like Rusty cannot see the video pictures we are complaining about when they only watch a smaller screen HD television. For that reason I wish Rusty would refrain from comments having nothing to do with fixing this type of complaint.

I would like to hear is comments on this particular problem after he finally gets a 4K television.

New Poster

Thanks for the input. Has anyone tried Comcast's new 4k box?  Does the same thing happen?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Yes the same poor picture quality with the 4k box. I have a 75" Sony Bravia and the picture is brutal, most content looks standard def.
New Poster

Thanks for the reply; you saved me from switching my X1 box for a 4K box.

Frequent Visitor

I’m a videophile, filmmaker, but still waiting to pull the trigger on a 4K OLED HDR TV. In the meantime I have an old school but beautiful huge Panasonic Plasma Viera. I switched to X1 and momentarily had the old DVR box at the same time before I returned it. So, the same cable signal to the same TV was observed as I could switch between the old and new box. The old box looked like a sharp 1080i picture, and movies had details like film grain and dirt on surfaces. With the new x1 box, the picture looks slightly soft, and it seems like a noise reduction (for picture grain) is being applied. I think the problem is an automatic digital noise filter is engaged and actually ruining HD detail. The problem is... the new consumer friendly menu doesn’t offer an option to turn it off. Old cable boxes let you turn that kind of thing off. I wonder if there is an expert mode for the box that lets you turn it off? If not, I really hope they release new boxes that don’t automatically engage picture noise reduction/smoothing. It’s ruining the picture by getting rid of detail.

Lol, I also just noticed “Amistad” on Showtime on my new x1 box is running the 5.1 audio slightly out of sync with picture. The audio is actually a tiny bit ahead of picture. So you hear a word and then you see the lips move. I think the X1 has some problems that need to be worked out! I remember when Netflix had issues with audio sync in the past.

I work professionally as an independent filmmaker and animator. Check out my work at ufoclubcreative.com
Expert

@UFOclub1977 wrote:

I’m a videophile, filmmaker, but still waiting to pull the trigger on a 4K OLED HDR TV. In the meantime I have an old school but beautiful huge Panasonic Plasma Viera. I switched to X1 and momentarily had the old DVR box at the same time before I returned it. So, the same cable signal to the same TV was observed as I could switch between the old and new box. The old box looked like a sharp 1080i picture, and movies had details like film grain and dirt on surfaces. With the new x1 box, the picture looks slightly soft, and it seems like a noise reduction (for picture grain) is being applied. I think the problem is an automatic digital noise filter is engaged and actually ruining HD detail. The problem is... the new consumer friendly menu doesn’t offer an option to turn it off. Old cable boxes let you turn that kind of thing off. I wonder if there is an expert mode for the box that lets you turn it off? If not, I really hope they release new boxes that don’t automatically engage picture noise reduction/smoothing. It’s ruining the picture by getting rid of detail.

Lol, I also just noticed “Amistad” on Showtime on my new x1 box is running the 5.1 audio slightly out of sync with picture. The audio is actually a tiny bit ahead of picture. So you hear a word and then you see the lips move. I think the X1 has some problems that need to be worked out! I remember when Netflix had issues with audio sync in the past.

the 4k set top box is not processing the image it is the streamed HEVC converted to 720p60 mpeg4 (cable channels) or the actual stream in mpeg2 for local channels that are in their native 1080i or 720p. The lipsync is a function of your TV and allows matching per HDMI port of lipsync. the audio available on the xg1v4 includes ATMOS when available if you have compatible HDCP receiver/decoder. 

Frequent Visitor

just got a 65" Vizio M Series.  Needless to say the cable picture coming from the Comcast 4k box is absolutely horrendous.  Unnacceptable really.  I tried everything from 720p to 4k and it is all garbage.  1080p blurays and 4k Netflix with Dolby Vision using the tv app are gorgeous. dont have a 4k bluray player yet.

i am coming from a 60" 1080p Vizio and noticed the poorer quality from the old non x1 box to the new one immediately.  shockingly bad.  now with a 65" it is just even more visible trash on a bigger screen.

i live in south florida and am seriously considering dealing with the rain fade that comes with Dish or DirecTv because right now i am paying for 480i quality with comcast.

i also agree they need some form of firmware upgrade to turn off whatever the heck is causing this issue.  the old boxes DID NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

i love the GUI from the x1 but man do i wish i had held on to my old boxes.

Regular Visitor

We recently upgraded to a Sharp 55 inch 4k connected to the Xfinity X1 box and watching NBA games I am experiencing the same poor picture quality. When the camera is zoomed out showing the court the players look blurry but when they are at the free throw line the image quality is not great but much better. I am disappointed with the picture and the price we pay Comcast every month is getting ridiculous as it keeps creeping up. About two months ago we started having image freeze problems on the X1 TV. This problem started occuring on all the other TVs in the house connected to digital boxes and was occuring 2-3 times a week. It has not done it for a couple weeks so holding off on calling for a tech. Anyway back to the picture quality issue. We also have an 11 year old Sony 40 inch 1080i LCD hooked to a digital antenna and a couple weeks ago we watched an over the air broadcast of an NBA game that looked crystal clear. It put the 4k to shame on the NBA picture quality which tells me something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I wish Comcast would put the billions of dollars they have made off of their overly priced services and fix this problem. Does anyone know if the 4k box fixes the picture quality for NBA games? I heard Comcast charges an extra $20 bucks a month for the 4k box and we refuse to keep digging into our pockets any deeper for something that should be included with the prices we pay now. 

Expert

@Raptor_Strike wrote:

We recently upgraded to a Sharp 55 inch 4k connected to the Xfinity X1 box and watching NBA games I am experiencing the same poor picture quality. When the camera is zoomed out showing the court the players look blurry but when they are at the free throw line the image quality is not great but much better. I am disappointed with the picture and the price we pay Comcast every month is getting ridiculous as it keeps creeping up. About two months ago we started having image freeze problems on the X1 TV. This problem started occuring on all the other TVs in the house connected to digital boxes and was occuring 2-3 times a week. It has not done it for a couple weeks so holding off on calling for a tech. Anyway back to the picture quality issue. We also have an 11 year old Sony 40 inch 1080i LCD hooked to a digital antenna and a couple weeks ago we watched an over the air broadcast of an NBA game that looked crystal clear. It put the 4k to shame on the NBA picture quality which tells me something is rotten in the state of Denmark. I wish Comcast would put the billions of dollars they have made off of their overly priced services and fix this problem. Does anyone know if the 4k box fixes the picture quality for NBA games? I heard Comcast charges an extra $20 bucks a month for the 4k box and we refuse to keep digging into our pockets any deeper for something that should be included with the prices we pay now. 

You should be able to connect your new 4K television to your antenna too, and search for OTA channels. Then you can compare the picture to local channels found on both cable and over the air when up-scaled to 4K widescreen. If you have a "smart" television, and high-speed Internet. Use the "You Tube" app to get 4K videos, and see what Ultra High Definition (4K) picture actually looks like.

Regular Visitor

Yes, been wanting to connect the digital antenna to the 4k and I think I am doing that this weekend in order to catch an NBA playoffs game OTA. I bet it will blow away the X1's picture quality. Thank you for your Youtube app suggestion. I will definitely try that out this weekend too. The Sharp 55 has built in Roku and I haven't experimented much with the apps yet but going to delve in soon. I will post my results.

Regular Visitor

I have a 65" LG OLED (professionally calibrated) and my picture quality is awful as well.  As others have mentioned, it's barely above SD.

All other content on my TV looks amazing (Xbox One games and streaming apps, 4K and normal Blu-Ray, LG apps, etc)

Silver Problem Solver

@batchman027 wrote:

I have a 65" LG OLED (professionally calibrated) and my picture quality is awful as well.  As others have mentioned, it's barely above SD.

All other content on my TV looks amazing (Xbox One games and streaming apps, 4K and normal Blu-Ray, LG apps, etc)

How is your TV connected to the XG1v4 box?

New Poster

Good Day All...

I can't speak for anyone else (YMMV), but I just contacted Comcast yesterday (5/7/18) and got a new 4K (X1 v4) box being sent to my house (the rep on the phone couldn't guarantee that my local Xfinity store would have it). I have to pay $15 for shipping via UPS, but it does NOT add anything additional to my monthly bill (I actually had to "review" the order and it explicitly outlined what I would be getting as well as the amount that I had to pay (for shipping) and that it would not "alter my monthly bill". I just wish CC would get more (much more) 4K content so all of us with beautiful UHD (Vizio P65-E1) displays can actually enjoy "regular" TV vice having to watch Netflix (I have), Youtube 4K (I have), UHD Blu-Rays (1 or 2 I have). This truly makes me want to go back to DirecTV (even though I have a lot of cloud cover/drops outs due to East Coast weather -- that was the reason I switched over to CC in the first place). My DTV picture was GREAT when I lived out West, TBH.

Silver Problem Solver

@Speed_racer_04 wrote:

Good Day All...

I can't speak for anyone else (YMMV), but I just contacted Comcast yesterday (5/7/18) and got a new 4K (X1 v4) box being sent to my house (the rep on the phone couldn't guarantee that my local Xfinity store would have it). I have to pay $15 for shipping via UPS, but it does NOT add anything additional to my monthly bill (I actually had to "review" the order and it explicitly outlined what I would be getting as well as the amount that I had to pay (for shipping) and that it would not "alter my monthly bill". I just wish CC would get more (much more) 4K content so all of us with beautiful UHD (Vizio P65-E1) displays can actually enjoy "regular" TV vice having to watch Netflix (I have), Youtube 4K (I have), UHD Blu-Rays (1 or 2 I have). This truly makes me want to go back to DirecTV (even though I have a lot of cloud cover/drops outs due to East Coast weather -- that was the reason I switched over to CC in the first place). My DTV picture was GREAT when I lived out West, TBH.

When the content providers make 4k available, Comcast will pass it on.  There are many issues with 4k broadcast TV that have to be overcome.  If your local TV is not 4k, Comcast can't provide those channes in 4k.

Contributor

What you are seeing is Comcast's atrocious compression. When DirecTV compresses, they are using an average of 5.4-6.3mbps, while Comcast is using 3.8mbps, both using MPEG-4. However, that's only half of the story. The bigger issue is that Comcast is using constant bitrate encoding (CBR), while DirecTV is using a statistical multiplex, or variable bitrate (VBR). Because of VBR, the instantaneous bitrate on any given channel on DirecTV can go all over the place, well above or below the average, depending on what the other channels sharing that transponder are doing.

On Comcast, CBR encoding is fine at 3.8mbps if you're looking at a scene that doesn't have a lot of detail and/or motion, like when they are zoomed in on a player, but as soon as they zoom out, you're hosed, because there just isn't enough bandwidth to provide acceptable image quality, and the encoder has to throw a lot of data out, resulting in a blurry, mushy, flat image that lacks color and detail.

Anyone telling you this has anything to do with the channels originally being 1080i, the type of box you are using, or anything else is wrong. This is due to Comcast's over-compression and down-rezzing to 720p. The 4k box might give you a marginal improvement due to imagine processing in the box itself, but it's putting lipstick on a pig, and will not fix the root cause of the problem. You could just as well get the same benefit from certain receivers or TVs that have processors built into them, but the image will NEVER look good. Comcast's compression threw too much data away, and there's nothing left to work with.

Expert

@BiggAJW wrote:

What you are seeing is Comcast's atrocious compression. When DirecTV compresses, they are using an average of 5.4-6.3mbps, while Comcast is using 3.8mbps, both using MPEG-4. However, that's only half of the story. The bigger issue is that Comcast is using constant bitrate encoding (CBR), while DirecTV is using a statistical multiplex, or variable bitrate (VBR). Because of VBR, the instantaneous bitrate on any given channel on DirecTV can go all over the place, well above or below the average, depending on what the other channels sharing that transponder are doing.

On Comcast, CBR encoding is fine at 3.8mbps if you're looking at a scene that doesn't have a lot of detail and/or motion, like when they are zoomed in on a player, but as soon as they zoom out, you're hosed, because there just isn't enough bandwidth to provide acceptable image quality, and the encoder has to throw a lot of data out, resulting in a blurry, mushy, flat image that lacks color and detail.

Anyone telling you this has anything to do with the channels originally being 1080i, the type of box you are using, or anything else is wrong. This is due to Comcast's over-compression and down-rezzing to 720p. The 4k box might give you a marginal improvement due to imagine processing in the box itself, but it's putting lipstick on a pig, and will not fix the root cause of the problem. You could just as well get the same benefit from certain receivers or TVs that have processors built into them, but the image will NEVER look good. Comcast's compression threw too much data away, and there's nothing left to work with.

you may be comparing apples to oranges on bit rate. if it is a cable channel it is now in mpeg4. in the example you gave the stream may be in mpeg2. Comcast receives in HEVC and puts it currently in the stream as mpeg4 streams and for linear channels as 720p60. the local channels are in mpeg2 and either 720p or 1080i. some local re-broadcast tVs are in 1080i which is a step down from 720p in actual detail lines and for motion causes much of the distortion seen on TVs. Do you have the box output of your set top box set to 720p? 1080i? 

Highlighted
Contributor

Read my post. The only example in it is DirecTV, which is also MPEG-4, so that's an Apples to Apples comparison. I did not compare OTA or anything else in that post. Yes, locals are in MPEG-2, that's why some of them don't look like garbage yet.

Expert

@BiggAJW wrote:

Read my post. The only example in it is DirecTV, which is also MPEG-4, so that's an Apples to Apples comparison. I did not compare OTA or anything else in that post. Yes, locals are in MPEG-2, that's why some of them don't look like garbage yet.

mpeg4 passed certification to be as good or better image than mpeg2 with 1/2 the bandwidth on average. HEVC is 1/2 of mpeg4 with no loss of picture detail.  it isn't 'loss' introduced as is creation of a fixed file size on a DVD. 

Contributor

STOP obfuscating the issue. The issue is that Comcast doesn't give enough bandwidth for MPEG-4 to work properly, so you end up with complete garbage for picture quality.

The fact that you can make just as awful of an image with 7.6mbps of CBR MPEG-2 is only teriarily relevant. Comcast has been compressing too far well before they went to MPEG-4, first with tri-muxing and then packing 4 MPEG-2 channels to a QAM, but their MPEG-4 implementation takes the cake for atrocious picture quality that is worse than anything that came before it.

There is ABSOLUTELY loss of data when you compress to a level far lower than what they are starting with. Some of the national channels are coming in at 15mbps MPEG-4 via C-band. DirecTV can get to 5.5-6.5mbps average with the loss of fidelity being fairly minor and still having a good looking image. Comcast CANNOT get to 3.8mbps without serious loss of fidelity that is clearly visible to anyone who is paying even halfway paying attention.