Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Pixelating on certain cable stations

New Poster

Pixelating on certain cable stations

Does anyone have a pixelating problem. We had the X1 platform installed in January. Ever since we have pixelating problems on our cable stations. It is on all our TVs. Called Comcast and they sent technicians twice. We were told it was the amplifier and replaced it. We are still having the same problems. Not sure what else to do but we can’t put up with problem much longer. 

Official Employee

Re: Pixelating on certain cable stations

I hate tell you that you need another tech out. They should be looking at the frequencies of the channels that are pixelating or possibly swap the DVR. Are your secondary boxes working?
Frequent Visitor

I had a similar problem - some channels pixelating, a few not available, frequent internet and phone connection failures, and very intermittent. I thought it was probably something outside the house, but after some troubleshooting, I suspected the Comscope amplifier. I swapped it out for a 5-way 7.5db passive splitter and have had no problems since, with one X1 box, two TV adapters and one modem. In a previous installation Comcast installed a PPC amplifier and there was never a problem. Apparently these Comscope amplifiers have some QA issues.

Regular Contributor

Very true about the ppc amp. It's a must. I went through this years ago. Also a bad DVR does cause pixelation issues with all tv's because of the way they communicate. I went through a few of them. 

Frequent Visitor

Interesting. If I get a new amp, I'll make sure it's a PPC or nothing. This Comscope amp was also taking down the internet and phone (modem) intermittently, and the X1 box is working fine with the passive splitter, but good to know for the future. I did leave the MOCA filter on the cable, which is important to protect everyone else on the same cable.

PS tech support on the phone suggested I power-cycle the amp to reset it. I don't think they work that way. But I did anyway, with no improvement.

Regular Contributor

The comscope amp never worked right with my system. When I discovered the PPC amp (from this forum), I switched it out and solved the problem. But know that when the dvr starts going bad, and it will, the pixelation will start again until you swap it out.

Expert

EVO1-9-UU(2).jpg

Just an FYI, this is the one I am using.

Frequent Visitor

Good. That's the one I had four years ago. I'm one of those guys who flops between Comcast and Verizon every two years to get better pricing. Last time with Comcast I got the PPC. This time the Comscope. Everything seems to be working fine without any amplifier - if it ain't broke...