Community Forum

Picture quality blurry/pixelated, especially noticeable during sports

Regular Visitor

Picture quality blurry/pixelated, especially noticeable during sports

My picture quality has been noticeably shoddy on X1. At times, when the image is still, everything is crisp. I've noticed during football games, when there is a lot of motion on the screen, the picture quickly deteriorates into a pixelated mess. It's not just the motion of the players; even the scoreboard at the bottom of the screen decreases in quality. I am watching on a 1080p resolution TV, with the cable box set to 1080p/60. My box is an XG2v2P. When I use my TV as a monitor on my PC, I am able to watch 1080p content with no issues, so I am convinced my television is not the issue. Furthermore, the box supposedly has a "signal strength" test that it can run, but I have never successfully been able to run it. Clicking it results in "Signal strength: Unknown" immediately, every single time.

Is this just the standard now of picture quality from Comcast, or is there something that can be done to improve the picture quality? Is there anything I can do to help diagnose the issue?

Expert

Re: Picture quality blurry/pixelated, especially noticeable during sports

go2den wrote:

My picture quality has been noticeably shoddy on X1. At times, when the image is still, everything is crisp. I've noticed during football games, when there is a lot of motion on the screen, the picture quickly deteriorates into a pixelated mess. It's not just the motion of the players; even the scoreboard at the bottom of the screen decreases in quality. I am watching on a 1080p resolution TV, with the cable box set to 1080p/60. My box is an XG2v2P. When I use my TV as a monitor on my PC, I am able to watch 1080p content with no issues, so I am convinced my television is not the issue. Furthermore, the box supposedly has a "signal strength" test that it can run, but I have never successfully been able to run it. Clicking it results in "Signal strength: Unknown" immediately, every single time.

Is this just the standard now of picture quality from Comcast, or is there something that can be done to improve the picture quality? Is there anything I can do to help diagnose the issue?

last question first, the signal level is a reading of the internal DOCSIS modem that is not used for linear channels (numbered channels) at all. 

have you tried setting your X1 set top box output to 720p (native from Comcast except for local rebroadcast channels in 1080i) and let your TV circuitry handle the conversion to the native resolution of the TV? 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

I can try that and see how it looks. Why would the box even have an option for 1080p if none of the channels are broadcast in it? Seems misleading

Expert

go2den wrote:

I can try that and see how it looks. Why would the box even have an option for 1080p if none of the channels are broadcast in it? Seems misleading

some have suggested that Comcast offers pass through resolution (input is same as output). The upscaling is likely to be done the best by the TV's dedicated circuits rather than the generic set top box upscalers. the TV manufacturers have to compete and prove by testing that they handle upscaling properly. no certification is given on set top box output.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Contributor

This is due to Comcast's over-compression when they switched to MPEG-4, not your box or TV. Google "Comcast MPEG-4" and you'll find tons of threads about the incredibly poor picture quality. This is a national Comcast issue, and affects all cable channels (not locals). They are over-compressing the video, as well as using CBR encoding, so channels tend to look OK when there is little motion on screen, and very blurry or soft when there is a lot of motion on screen. Local channels are generally passed through using MPEG-2 without being re-compressed, so they vary from market to market, depending on what your local station is feeding Comcast. In your case, the monitor may look better simply because it's smaller than the TV. Comcast looks a lot worse on larger TVs, and 4k TVs, it looks OK on small TVs, as you just can't tell how bad it is.

Expert

BiggAJW wrote:

This is due to Comcast's over-compression when they switched to MPEG-4, not your box or TV. Google "Comcast MPEG-4" and you'll find tons of threads about the incredibly poor picture quality. This is a national Comcast issue, and affects all cable channels (not locals). They are over-compressing the video, as well as using CBR encoding, so channels tend to look OK when there is little motion on screen, and very blurry or soft when there is a lot of motion on screen. Local channels are generally passed through using MPEG-2 without being re-compressed, so they vary from market to market, depending on what your local station is feeding Comcast. In your case, the monitor may look better simply because it's smaller than the TV. Comcast looks a lot worse on larger TVs, and 4k TVs, it looks OK on small TVs, as you just can't tell how bad it is.

please stop spamming threads with your false claims.

Contributor

These are not false claims. You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Go do the research. Calculate the bitrates. Read the DSLReports and AVSForum threads about this topic, and learn what is going on. I've done all of this, and I know what I'm talking about here.

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

BiggAJW wrote:

What is the solution for poor HDTV picture on larget 4K TVs with comcast?

Expert

itdwebman wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

BiggAJW wrote:

What is the solution for poor HDTV picture on larget 4K TVs with comcast?

only Netfilx is in 4k. do you have one of the new Xg1v4 4k DVRs to connect to that TV?