Community Forum

Picture Quality on New TV Looks Bad

Frequent Visitor

Picture Quality on New TV Looks Bad

I got a new TV within the last year, and ever since hooking it up I've noticed that the picture quality seems sub-par at best.  The TV is a Samsung 4k Smart TV:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-mu9000-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/57737...

Judging by the specs, the picture should look pristine;  however, while watching basketball games, the picture looks almost blurry as the players are running up and down the court.  The names/numbers are barely legible.

I actually had to LOWER the settings on my X1 box and not keep it on the 4k setting to improve the picture.  Could this deteriorated quality be a result of incoming cable lines/connections?  A compromised X1 box?  I ordered a higher quality HDMI cable, but that didn't seem to help much, if at all.  Is this something Comcast will come out to check/fix for free, even though nothing is technically wrong with my service?  

Expert

Re: Picture Quality on New TV Looks Bad

@mprubyz wrote:

I got a new TV within the last year, and ever since hooking it up I've noticed that the picture quality seems sub-par at best.  The TV is a Samsung 4k Smart TV:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-mu9000-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/57737...

Judging by the specs, the picture should look pristine;  however, while watching basketball games, the picture looks almost blurry as the players are running up and down the court.  The names/numbers are barely legible.

I actually had to LOWER the settings on my X1 box and not keep it on the 4k setting to improve the picture.  Could this deteriorated quality be a result of incoming cable lines/connections?  A compromised X1 box?  I ordered a higher quality HDMI cable, but that didn't seem to help much, if at all.  Is this something Comcast will come out to check/fix for free, even though nothing is technically wrong with my service?  

other than the announced streaming 4k sports even coming, the non-local channels are in 720p. setting your ouput to 720p will probably give you the best picture and switch to 4k for youtube/netflix and special 4k events. your TV will do the best job of converting 720p to its own display panel.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I will give that a try.  That actually makes sense, as I have an older TV (from 2008) in my bedroom which is 720p and I actually feel like it has the best picture quality in the whole house with regards to watching basketball or other fast-moving sports.

Expert

@mprubyz wrote:

Thanks, I will give that a try.  That actually makes sense, as I have an older TV (from 2008) in my bedroom which is 720p and I actually feel like it has the best picture quality in the whole house with regards to watching basketball or other fast-moving sports.

cool. some put the set top box in 1080i and that causes so many artifacts with movement and is totally wrong ouput setting for digital flat panel TVs (interlace is for old CRT applications).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!